Buying a broken PS3?

TheZooPal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm trying to be super cheap with getting a PS3, and it seems a lot of people on Craigslist are selling them for about $100, but they've either got the YLOD or some of them have the blinking red light.

So I'm wondering, would it be worth buying one? I've got an extra HDD for a blinking red light and I'm willing to try and fix whatever problem myself to save some more money, but is fixing them as futile as it is for the RRoD on the 360? I'm not too familiar with these PS3 problems so please tell me if there's a good chance in fixing them. :)

My 60GB got the YLOD over the weekend and I found a guy on craigslist that fixed it for $40. It's worth a shot.

[quote name='TheZooPal']I'm trying to be super cheap with getting a PS3, and it seems a lot of people on Craigslist are selling them for about $100, but they've either got the YLOD or some of them have the blinking red light.

So I'm wondering, would it be worth buying one? I've got an extra HDD for a blinking red light and I'm willing to try and fix whatever problem myself to save some more money, but is fixing them as futile as it is for the RRoD on the 360? I'm not too familiar with these PS3 problems so please tell me if there's a good chance in fixing them. :)[/QUOTE]

I have a YLOD PS3 (died about a month ago) and I did a decent bit of research on the fix. I don't have a heat gun so that's a big minus to me, but even though I already HAVE the system, I still haven't fixed it. Why? Because ... A) based on many comments I have read, the fix is almost certainly TEMPORARY. The fix may last two hours, 2 weeks, or 2 months, but apparently is likely to happen again...making fixing it subsequently worse every time. B) I don't have much experience in these sorts of things.

I have read a lot of comments from people excited about fixing the system, so maybe only those that messed up or ? come back and post...but it's keeping me from doing the repair.

Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

My 60 gig PS3 just YLoD too... I considered getting it fixed, but it seems like it'll just be temporary at best, so I'm one of those guys selling it for $100 on craigslist and putting that towards a new system with (hopefully) less tendency to YLoD and a new warranty.

Kinda sad I'm losing my backwards compatibility, but I figure I can pick up a cheap used PS2 on Craigslist or Ebay so I can play all those PS2 games I haven't got a chance to play yet.

bread's done
Back