Buying a Japanese ps3, need help.

I think Japan stuff run off of 220 volts or something...not 110v like our US outlets. So check into getting a converter if you do get this.

You won't be able to use Netflix and many other services that are available only in N. America I believe. You're also screwed if something happens to it. I'd suggest you just buy one in the US, even though they don't sell the white one here.

[quote name='idkblah00']But on the site it says 110v, so it should be compatible, right?[/QUOTE]

No need to buy a converter then. :)

[quote name='ssjmichael']You won't be able to use Netflix and many other services that are available only in N. America I believe. You're also screwed if something happens to it. I'd suggest you just buy one in the US, even though they don't sell the white one here.[/QUOTE]

oh ok then, i guess i will just get a regular one.

[quote name='ssjmichael']You won't be able to use Netflix and many other services that are available only in N. America I believe. You're also screwed if something happens to it. I'd suggest you just buy one in the US, even though they don't sell the white one here.[/QUOTE]
Is that really accurate? I was aware you could change your region 5 times on the console. Not trying to challenge the train of thought more than necessary as I'm too lazy to look up how true the above actually is. In theory if changing the region is enough, he'd have access to Netflix and the rest of the services.

I would assume features like netflix is tie to the location of your ip address and not your system

[quote name='Mad39er']Is that really accurate? I was aware you could change your region 5 times on the console. Not trying to challenge the train of thought more than necessary as I'm too lazy to look up how true the above actually is. In theory if changing the region is enough, he'd have access to Netflix and the rest of the services.[/QUOTE]

The main issues he's going to have is US / JPN controllers since Sony doesn't want to have them used on other region systems (this was an old firmware issue that they "addressed")

Language issues with JPN being the main language supported, not sure if there is multi-language support built in from scratch or not, as well as documentation and as mentioned warranty issues being covered by Sony JPN.

The only thing I can think of about changing region is Bluray playback, and if he gets a JPN one, then he's safe since all US / JPN Blurays are in the same Zone (which is 1)

Also PS1/PS2 titles are region locked, so you will NOT being playing US games on the system, so keep this in mind.

[quote name='62t']I would assume features like netflix is tie to the location of your ip address and not your system[/QUOTE]

This was my thinking as well. When I change to my different PSN accounts I get features not on the others like BBC (UK), some Chinese TV (HK), and then Netflix (US) and since I'm not running through a proxy server I can't watch any BBC shows since my IP originates through the US.

So I don't understand some of the information in this thread as far as validity is concerned.

OP, if you really HAVE to have one based on aesthetics, your best bet is to do some major research first to make sure what you can and can't do, I'm sure there is information out there on the web, if not I'd be shocked.

Our very forums have a disucusion on this from some time back.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114857

And I did you a little favor to get you started, this should more than answer any questions you might have regarding getting a JPN system.

http://www.google.com/search?q=diff...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I actually have a JPN PS3 system. I am currently living in Japan. My system has Netflix, Hulu, and all the other services installed on my system but I cannot use it since I am in Japan. I can watch MLB from Japan if I sign up. Just wish I can access Netflix from here. Also, I went brought my system back to the US and used it just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='SSPrelude']I actually have a JPN PS3 system. I am currently living in Japan. My system has Netflix, Hulu, and all the other services installed on my system but I cannot use it since I am in Japan. I watch MLB if I sign up for the subscription service though. Also, I went brought my system back to the US and used it just fine.[/QUOTE]

I have the JPN FF13 PS3. How did you get Netflix on there? You can get Hulu and stuff like that because they are downloaded from PSN. I'm running my system in the US and Netflix doesn't show up at all.

[quote name='jling84']I have the JPN FF13 PS3. How did you get Netflix on there? You can get Hulu and stuff like that because they are downloaded from PSN. I'm running my system in the US and Netflix doesn't show up at all.[/QUOTE]

You can get the Netflix app by going to the "What's New" section under the Playstation Network icon from the XMB. You can download the application from there.

http://www.netflix.com/NetflixReadyDevicesDetails?pdid=105

Regarding the voltage, while the US and Japan have different voltages, the PS3s are designed to be able to accept a wide range, from 110-220v, or something like that.

I have a Japanese PS3.

I've never had a problem with the power supply. I've also never had a problem with syncing controllers or accessories. I never had a problem installing any games, getting on Home, or using the PSN store. For some odd reason, the scrolling updates near the time in the upper right hand corner would scroll in Japanese. I never figured out how to change it but it never really bugged me enough to dedicate more than a few seconds.

For all intents and purposes, it's the same machine other than the DVD drive.

There are no new electronic products that will have a issue in Japan or America. You can go back and forth without a problem. On the other hand, I don't know why you need a Japanese slim. Just because it's white? American PS3 slims can do everything that a Japanese PS3 slim can do.

[quote name='depascal22']For some odd reason, the scrolling updates near the time in the upper right hand corner would scroll in Japanese. I never figured out how to change it but it never really bugged me enough to dedicate more than a few seconds.[/QUOTE]

It does that regardless of what region system you own, that's how the JPN store displays its updates in the corner, so no big mystery there.

[quote name='2DMention']Why would you even bother with a JP system? All the games are region-free, aren't they?[/QUOTE]

For a slim, there's really no reason other than color. I got my 20GB so I could play Japanese PS2 games.

[quote name='jling84']Just wanted to pop in again and say thanks! Your suggestion worked! I now have Netflix on my JP PS3!!!![/QUOTE]

No prob!

bread's done
Back