Buying a new laptop

Mistik

CAGiversary!
I'm gonna be buying a new laptop for school next year and I wanna buy it through the school bookstore since they offer good deals and offer tech support for every computer they sell. I think I've narrowed it down to a few different models, mainly a macbook and sony sz440. Now the Macbook is really nice but I'm not sure if I want to take the plunge into Mac OS, I know howgood it is, but I'm used to windows and don't want to have to learn how to use everything. The SZ is a pretty sweet laptop but they have has a processor at 1.66 ghz, core 2 duo. Is this too slow? I want the computer to last me all through college and not be a piece in 3 years. Will a 1.66 core 2 duo still be somewhat speedy at that point? I don't want to play the latest games or anything, but I'm just looking to surf the web, email, music, watch movies, and do schoolwork.

Core 2 Duo 1.66GHz is plenty for what you do. This processor performs better than Pentium M solo core, and lots of ppl still use those laptops after 3 or 4 years. I would stay away from MacOS if you never used it or are not familiar with it and have second thoughts about committing to the change. Go for the Sony, it's plenty enough for you.

Hello, I just purchased a Mac book on Monday (4 days ago.)
The mac interface is not unlike windows, but they do some things differently, for example the pull down bar is always on the top of the computer, rather than on every window. I have a college buddy that I have emailed that knows macs, but for the most part I was able to figure it out myself. The apple web site support section has a bunch of web pages dedicated to people switching from pc's, and goes over the basic functions of all of the included software.

So far the only drawback with the macbook is gaming, due to the lack of video card. I don't think it would be an issue with the macbook pro, but I needed the smaller travel size of the macbook way more than the power to play the latest 3d games.

The macbooks retain their value on the used market, I looked into gettting a used laptop and it was almost as expensive as a new one, so if you don't like the mac interface after awhile you can either get rid of the mac ox and just put windows on the computer, or sell the computer at only a little loss.

Installing Windows on Macbook causes it to use much more power than MacOS. The Macbook has about 4 hrs on OSX, but about 2:15 hrs running on Windows, and the Macbook gets extremely hot while running Windows as well. So unless you want to deal with that, go with a simpler Windows based laptops if you would like to stick w/ the current OS.

Yeah, I was all for the Mac OS before, but after playing around with it for a while at the Apple store, there are a few little things that kind of annoy me, like the way the you have to manually drag windows to fill the whole screen, and the way the FInder is set up.

But I just wanted to make sure 1.66 ghz would be enough, and it wouldn't be sluggish years from now, as I want to keep this laptop for at least 4 years. I will be getting 2 GB of RAM though, so hopefully that will make up for a slower processor.

With the new mac OS that will be coming out soon you can run windows and mac seamlessly.EA and other major companies are starting to make games for mac again. Epic just released a game engine designed for mac. Have you people not been paying attention? Mac is starting to slowly take over while MS sits by and tries to copy Mac os with their "Vista" BS when they are so far behind they know its only a matter of time. Seriously... get a macbook.

If you can afford a macbook, go ahead and do it. You can run both OS anyway. I wasn't a big fan of Mac until I got one and it's a nice little laptop with all the features like integrated webcam, the plug thing, the look.

I end up using the laptop for a lot of simple multimedia stuff using Ilive suite, so that's fun and pretty easy to do. I used Window on it as well, on some of the softwares that they don't have in the mac, but very very few.. (1 to be exact) if you decide to upgrade your lappy say in 1-2 year.. you can probably sell it off and gain some $$$ back. good luck!

bread's done
Back