buying a ps3 - recommended games?

Kaelestis

CAGiversary!
Feedback
32 (100%)
I'm planning on picking up a PS3 on Black Friday and was hoping if anyone had some recommendations for games. Preferably ones that aren't on 360. Genre doesn't matter as long as it's a good/fun game.

Here are the games I'm going to buy already -
God of War Collection
God of War 3
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Little Big Planet
Infamous
Killzone 2
Sly Cooper Collection
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction

In addition to those already mentioned..

3d dot game heroes
Demon's souls
The Disgaea games if you're into them.
Flower
Gran Turismo 5
Metal Gear Solid 4
Modnation Racers
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 & 2 (if you like those games, and yes I know these aren't exactly "exclusives")
Resistance 1 & 2

So many good exclusives.

Even though you said to exclude non exclusives, I have to go with:

Red Faction Guerrilla(so much fun just imploding buildings for shits and giggles with sticky charges or turning enemy soldiers into running(and screaming) bombs:evil:)
Red Dead Redemption(the online is meh without buying the nickel and dime packs, but the main game and it's storyline is like something outta an old Clint Eastwood movie)
Just Cause 2(so much to do and see, but taking over villages gets repetitive, so I found myself spending more time parasailing around the game world and pulling myself along with the grappling gun)
Heavenly Sword(decent God Of War clone, which would've been amazing with a fuckin' JUMP button)

Of the above games, ONLY Heavenly Sword is an exclusive.

If you enjoyed Ico and Shadow Of The Collossus last gen, then also keep an eye out for the Ico/SOTC HD double pack that's coming out.

Thanks for the recommendations. Haven't heard of quite a few of them so it helps. I'm going to buy MGS4, Demon's Souls, Resistance 1, and Motorstorm Pacific Rift out of those.

Modnation Racers, 3d Dot game Heroes, Yakuza 3, Heavenly Sword and Disgaea are maybes. I'll probably just rent Heavy Rain as it doesn't look like a title I would really like. And I'll wait for GT5 to be cheaper unless there's a good deal somewhere. As for non-exclusives, ew @ Black ops. RDR I was planning to buy already but for 360. Not sure if it matters which system it's bought for.

[quote name='helluvagood']Geeegeee phaaiiiveee[/QUOTE]

Fix'd. ;)

EDIT - Anyone have any opinions on Cross Edge or Atelier Roronoa?

Last edited by a moderator:
Only problem with buying Demon's Souls is it's insanely hard and requires you to be cautious when playing as 1-2 hits will kill you AND make you drop all of your 'souls'(aka in game money that's collected from fallen enemies).

Then they start you back at the beginning of the level and if you don't make it up to where you died before dying again then you lose all of those you already collected permanently.

Valkyria Chronicles is another PS3 exclusive you may want to check out.

Have a bunch of the games you already mentioned you were (planning on) getting and they're pretty sweet. Have fun!

Heavenly Sword is great.

Demons Souls is a pretty niche game, but the best if your into it.

MGS 4 is a classic.

Heavy Rain was pretty slow, I didn't like it as much as some people do, but it can pass the time.

Valkyria Chronicles was pretty good hybrid, I didn't enjoy it as much some some people, but if I wasn't so commited to online play when I had played it, I'd probably have better words for it.

Disgaea 3 is a great RPG, and pretty cheap ass well, got it back in January for like $10 new.

I have yet to play 3D Dot Game Heroes, but from the looks of it I can't wait, it's on the way!

Resistance 1 & 2 are really good FPS', with some great story to go with them, haven't been online with them in a long while, so I don't know how the community is fairing.

Pretty much ever game has been named, but I think you should definitely check out Killzone 2, and Motorstorm 2.

Heavenly Sword is awesome!! It's actually a pretty quick game (not too hard to beat), but it is well done. I play it all the time just to hear the characters talk :)

Another recommendation for Valkyria Chronicles: a really cool turn-based strategy game.

One title that hasn't been mentioned is Siren, a Japanese survival-horror game. It's available as a download on PSN under the name Siren: Blood Curse, and as an import disc under the name Siren: New Translation. Very atmospheric, and it's old-school survival horror: low ammo, low health, and cramped spaces. It also has an interesting "sight-jacking" mechanic that lets you see through other people's eyes, so you can tell if the coast is clear. There's a demo on PSN; check it out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Only problem with buying Demon's Souls is it's insanely hard and requires you to be cautious when playing as 1-2 hits will kill you AND make you drop all of your 'souls'(aka in game money that's collected from fallen enemies).

Then they start you back at the beginning of the level and if you don't make it up to where you died before dying again then you lose all of those you already collected permanently.[/QUOTE]

I don't mind really hard games as long as they're not hard because of the game being cheap. If it's hard because I suck or am doing something wrong then I will like it. It sounds fun and challenging.

Oh and I picked up RDR for PS3 since I was planning on buying it for 360 but the PS3 version was right next to it at Walmart so I said why not. Started playing that and GoW Collection. RDR is awesome so far.

As far as all the other recommendations, almost all of them sound like good titles. I just need to make the time/wait for the right price to pick up the rest now. Going to grab Heavenly Sword and Valkyria Chronicles next week though.

Definitely second that Katamari Forever. The GOW Collection is a must along with God of War 3. Also, having tons of fun with Resistance.

I know it is on both systems. But I cannot stop playing dragon age origins and awakening. Now there is the complete game with both and all of the downloadable content.

I know you have already responded to these suggestions, but I am still going to agree with the following:

Metal Gear Solid 4
Heavy Rain
3D Dot Game Heroes
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Gran Turismo 5

Though with what you already have lined up to get, you should be set for quite awhile. :D

[quote name='Kaelestis']I don't mind really hard games as long as they're not hard because of the game being cheap. If it's hard because I suck or am doing something wrong then I will like it. It sounds fun and challenging.

Oh and I picked up RDR for PS3 since I was planning on buying it for 360 but the PS3 version was right next to it at Walmart so I said why not. Started playing that and GoW Collection. RDR is awesome so far.

As far as all the other recommendations, almost all of them sound like good titles. I just need to make the time/wait for the right price to pick up the rest now. Going to grab Heavenly Sword and Valkyria Chronicles next week though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, don't let people talk you out of Demon's Souls because of its "difficulty." It's really not that bad, you just need to adjust how you play.

Furthermore, if you end up liking Demon's Souls, definitely get Spelunker off the PSN store.

out the list you have, I only dislike Infamous, Ratchet and Little Big Planet (I guess platforming is not my thing) hehe

Valkyria Chronicles is a good title to pick up. Have you tried any Move-enable title? Time Crisis Razing Storm is pretty fun for co op.

I totally got the Demon's Souls vibe when I started up Spelunker the other day as well. And I totally didn't think Demon's Souls was too hard, if anything it was too easy my 1st time around cuz I utilized blue spirits too much. I would be in human form and find 2 blue eyes and then we would just rampage through the level. I wish I would have played more solo at first because if you do what I did you kinda fly through the game and wish there was more. I was hoping 5 stages per archstone x 5 so like 25 stages, but it turns out more like 4on1st stone then like 2-3 each stone and a boss battle, so less than 15 worlds but still a great game. can't wait for sequelish

[quote name='Kaelestis']Oh and I picked up RDR for PS3 since I was planning on buying it for 360 but the PS3 version was right next to it at Walmart so I said why not. Started playing that and GoW Collection. RDR is awesome so far.[/QUOTE]
Red Dead is just a really impressive game as far as I'm concerned. The weather effects in it are so beautiful and the fact that the game does all of that with no loading screens is insane. However I did notice that it does 'ramp up' the fan on your PS3 quite a bit, but that's probably because of all the processing the system has to do with the game.

I remember one of the first nights I played it, during the one mission there was a thunderstorm and after the mission had ended that thunderstorm continued for another three full game days.:shock:

Well, thanks to this thread I was able to pick up some good games from the suggestions. I'm enjoying the PS3 a lot, only gripe so far are the updates... Love the fact that it can play blus and stream Netflix. Been playing GoW 1, Borderlands, and Red Dead. Anyway, if anyone was interested, here are the games I've got so far:

God of War Collection
God of War 3
Uncharted 2 GOTY
Little Big Planet GOTY
Infamous
Killzone 2
Sly Cooper Collection
Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
Demon's Souls
Yakuza 3
3D Dot Game Heroes
Disgaea 3
Resistance 2
Heavenly Sword

Multi-plat games -
Red Dead Redemption
Borderlands GOTY
Dragon Age: UE
Nier

Since I bought Resistance 2, do I need to buy Resistance 1? If they're pretty similar I don't know if I want to own both. Other than that, I really want to get Uncharted, Valkyria Chronicles, and Atelier Roronoa but trying to find them cheap and new. Going to keep an eye out for MGS4, Motorstorm, and Modnation though. Again, thanks for the suggestions guys.

bread's done
Back