Buying a PS3 with the YLOD

DaftPunkFan37

CAGiversary!
I apologize if there is already a topic on this (looked around and didnt see any).

I saw an ad for craigslist for a cheap PS3, but it had the yellow light of death. From what i've read, it seems that if you pretty much get a new hard drive and unplug everything, it'll be good as new. I've read that you can send it back to Sony for $150as well, but im not sure if the unit i'm buying is still under warranty.

Is this an easy enough fix to do? I'm not extremely tech savy, but i'm a cheap bastard and don't want to spend 100 bucks (for ps3 and hard drive) on something that is impossible for me to do. Thanks for any help!

There are lots of YLOD topics around.

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']From what i've read, it seems that if you pretty much get a new hard drive and unplug everything, it'll be good as new. [/QUOTE]

You may be illiterate.

There are a few things that can cause a YLOD. The solder on the GPU and/or CPU may have come undone. If that's the case, you can easily fix it yourself, but the fix will probably only last a couple months at best before the same thing happens again. Best to get professional to do it.

It's also possible that the motherboard itself is fried. If that's the case, it can cost a couple hundred dollars to fix.

Best thing to do is probably send it to Sony. I don't think it needs to be under warranty if you're going to pay the $150.

If you need to ask about it, then I wouldn't recommend buying it. These are meant for experienced users who have fixed YLOD before. However, if you want a starting off point, then you may want to look into it. Just don't expect to come out with a fully working PS3.

Also, unless you have a professional reflow station, the YLOD will likely come back in a few months if you do manage to fix it.

check out youtbe and do a search for ylod repair and ylod. that should give you an idea of whats involved in trying to fix one but changing out the harddrive isnt a fix as far as i know.

Really shouldn't write when im half passed out haha

Is there anyway I can verify that you do not need a warranty to spend the 150 to repair the ps3?

[quote name='DaftPunkFan37']
Is there anyway I can verify that you do not need a warranty to spend the 150 to repair the ps3?[/QUOTE]

Well, the obvious answer is to call them...

1-800-345-SONY

You don't need a warranty no. If it's under warranty they should fix it for free. Otherwise you pay. As he's selling it I'm guessing the warranty has long since passed.

[quote name='Goemar']You don't need a warranty no. If it's under warranty they should fix it for free. Otherwise you pay. As he's selling it I'm guessing the warranty has long since passed.[/QUOTE]

This. I heard you can find a great definition of "warranty" on dictionary.com

[quote name='Goemar']You don't need a warranty no. If it's under warranty they should fix it for free. Otherwise you pay. As he's selling it I'm guessing the warranty has long since passed.[/QUOTE]
The only way Sony will fix a PS3 for free while under warranty is if the OP were to somehow have the receipt and is able to send along a copy of that to Sony when sending in the PS3.

No receipt=no in warranty service

As for the price to fix the issue(s) if you send it into Sony, I believe they charge $175 if it's a fully BC model for repairs when it's out of warranty.

There is a very legit guy on the somethingawful forums trade mart who fixes ylod pretty cheap for a living.

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']youtube is your friend[/QUOTE]

listen to him ive fixed my 80gb bc ps3 more than once using the videos on yotutube. make sure however it is the ylod theres diff reasons that a ps3 can die the the ylod has some distinct signs. check youtube for ylod videos to compare if youre is behaving the same.

if it is then all youd need is a heat gun , thermal paste and the tools to get it open. its a temp fix though chances are after a few months it will die again and youll need to repair it again.

Or you could always go with the half a a dozen guys that post every day on craigslist (at least in my area) advertising "cheep $ony PS3 repairz". Or not...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Well, the obvious answer is to call them...

1-800-345-SONY[/QUOTE]

The answer is obvious ChibiJosh is gay!

bread's done
Back