Buying a PSP soon, need help.....

ManChowder

CAGiversary!
Feedback
91 (100%)
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the PSP forum(mods feel free to move this thread if necessary) but here goes...

I've been waiting on buying a PSP and hoping for a major pricedrop, but the upcoming Tekken 5 and Silent Hill: Origins have finally pushed me into buying one. I just had a couple questions:

First, would I be wiser to buy the older $250 PSP bundle or the $199 core system? I know that the bundle comes with extra stuff like headphones/strap/memory stick/etc., but is this stuff worth the extra $50? The memory stick should be enough for what I need the PSP for(playing games mainly) but I also wanted headphones and the other acessories. Are the ones included in the bundle of good quality? ... or am I better off buying them separately?
Also is their any difference between the PSP I'll get in a core system versus the bundle? I was unsure if the PSPs in the Bundles were older models and might not have some improvements in the slightly newer Core bundles.

My other question is if there is a redesign for the PSP coming soon? A guy at a local Gamestop mentioned to me that the PSP was supposed to get a redesign like the DS did (fixing problems like weight and battery life).
I couldn't find any info on this, was the guy full of crap?

thank you in advance for any help you can give.

It's not worth the extra 50 bucks. 32 MBs is enough for games, but if you want to place any MP3s/video/pictures/ROMs/etc on it, it's worthless. Beyond that, the carrying case is nice, but its a soft case so it's more for show. The headphones and remote are really meh. The only thing worth having in it is the cleaning cloth.

A redesign for the PSP probably won't come out until after the PS3 as it'd take away from the launch. If we get one, I'll say it's late Spring 07.

Skip the value pack. As others have said, the items bundled are really not worth it. Use the money you save to get a good memory stick and case.

i think you should check the local wal-marts though...they seem to have the value pack down to $199 but i havent actually seen any in stock and its ymmv otherwise just get a regular one...$50 extra for those accesories is a joke

$50 is so not worth it. You might be able to get a 2 gig stick for that price. The redesign was a rumor, but if they do have one coming, I would guess they will announce it at the Tokyo game show.

don't get the Value Pack. i bought it on launch and realised what a bunch of junk the pack-ins are. you'll outgrow the 32MB card about 2 minutes after you open the box, the headphones SUCK, and about the only nice accessory included is the sleeve/sock.

also, Overstock.com's got a 15% deal goin' on right now, so if you're looking to save a few bucks, make sure you check that out. looks like you can get one for near $170 after savings.

having said all that, i still recommend you wait on the PSP (i just sold mine). seems like it can only get cheaper from here out, and if you've got a DS (and if you don't, shame on you!), you're set in the portable department. not that the PSP sucks (if you like ports, you're in heaven), but the DS is just rocking the handheld arena IMO, and the PSP really has yet to bring out any A-list titles. buying it in anticipation of two as-of-yet unreleased games can be sketchy. Silent Hill seems like a no-brainer, but you never know, and handheld Tekken doesn't have the best track record. if you're really after those, i'd hang on until they release and see what folks have to say once they're in-hand.

i hope no one gets offended at my remarks, but having owned the PSP for about a year, i'd just like to offer my perspective. if it's got what you want, then by all means, get it and enjoy!

thanks to everyone for the advice, that helps me out a bunch. If the headphones and case suck as badly as you guys say then yes the bundle is a complete waste of money.
I'll just grab the core package and get the extras separately. Can anyone recommend so really good yet compact headphones for it?

thanks again for all the input guys, you're the best!

[quote name='allyourblood']

having said all that, i still recommend you wait on the PSP (i just sold mine). seems like it can only get cheaper from here out, and if you've got a DS (and if you don't, shame on you!), you're set in the portable department. not that the PSP sucks (if you like ports, you're in heaven), but the DS is just rocking the handheld arena IMO, and the PSP really has yet to bring out any A-list titles. buying it in anticipation of two as-of-yet unreleased games can be sketchy. Silent Hill seems like a no-brainer, but you never know, and handheld Tekken doesn't have the best track record. if you're really after those, i'd hang on until they release and see what folks have to say once they're in-hand.

i hope no one gets offended at my remarks, but having owned the PSP for about a year, i'd just like to offer my perspective. if it's got what you want, then by all means, get it and enjoy![/QUOTE]

I hear what you're saying about waiting on the price drop. That was my original plan but they finally got me with their upcoming line-up, as well as some older titles I've been wanting like Wipeout, Burnout, and a few others.

I'm really not a huge handheld gaming fan(my wife is) but for whatever reason I've always wanted a PSP.... and no I don't have a DS yet(sorry), but I'm going to buy one for the wife as soon as she finishes her backlog of GBA games.

thanks for the heads up though!

[quote name='ManChowder']... and no I don't have a DS yet(sorry), but I'm going to buy one for the wife as soon as she finishes her backlog of GBA games.[/QUOTE]
The DS Lite is a beautiful platform for finishing off those GBA games! :)

bread's done
Back