Buying a used PS2 - or NOT?

masterh

CAGiversary!
Feedback
35 (100%)
I admit it. I've never owned a Sony system. No PS1, no PS2. I've missed out on a shitload of AAA titles, but I'm looking to get one.
But.
As a cheap ass, I've come across some really decent deals on eBay for used PS2s. I'm only looking at auctions where the system is adult-owned and in perfect working condition. The prices are at the point where buying a used PS2 + games is a way, way better deal than buying a new PS2 and additional titles separately. Duh. Either way, I'm getting a PS2 at the current price (or at the cheapo Overstock price - I'd rather wait for it to drop to $100, whenever that would be.)
But is it okay to buy on eBay from a reputable dealer? Or are disk read errors imminent? I seem to recall that, at least for X-Box, being a cheapass is not the way to go. I got a used X-Box from EBGames that was disgustingly DOA. Is that just the way of the Gamestop / EBGames systems? I assume that buying a system off of eBay would be okay with the Paypal 30 day refund thing goin' on... what's the general consensus on used PS2s?

You do know that some ps2s are crappy as fuck don't you? I have a launch ps2 and my friends all have the same problem (cept` 1 who has the mini ps2). And half the time they dont read, burn holes in your dvds and you have to do matinence every so often it sucks.

I've never heard of a PS2 burning holes into DVDs. While I've heard of scratches as a result of dirty lenses, I've never heard of burning.

I would say look for a 50001 model, it's quiet, has HDD support and looks much better than the top loading design nightmare that is the PSTwo.

The Overstock deal however, is excellent.

Well...it depends. Hardware that is used is usually more of gamble than games. That could be because unless you disect hardware, all you can tell is by surface signs, and sounds. Disks you can see the damage, if there is any, and you can tell if it is working or not. And of course, hardware is more expensive. Although, I buy used games, I wouldn't buy used current gen hardware(ie:X-box, Gamecube, PS2)that are readily available new. So, if you want to take a gamble, get it used. Although, just my belief, I would get it new.

I would be extremely hesitant to buy a used Xbox or PS2 from Ebay or one of the mainstream stores. People don't think twice about pawning marginal or just plain broken systems off on some stranger. I mean, think about it. How many legitimate reasons are there to sell a current generation system?

I second the motion that you aim for a 5xxxx model.

bread's done
Back