Buying a Wii... what's the actual cost?

gordiet

CAGiversary!
I'm looking into getting my brother's kids for christmas... everything i see seems to indicate that the system is going to cost $200. Apparently, that doesn't come with a component cable? The component cable is an absolute requirement since it will be used on an HDTV, and I guess I'll have to buy another controller as well. What's the best deal on all of this? It sounds like it's going to cost at least $250.

Keep in mind that each extra controller is going to cost you $50 (without nunchuck) to $70 (with nunchuck), and that you're going to go through a pack of batteries a week for each, unless you get a charging station and rechargable batteries. (about $30).

Game costs vary from dirt cheap to overpriced. Depends on the games. First party and popular titles, (Mario, 007), are going to cost more.

When I first got a Wii and a couple of games, I paid around $400 initially. You could probably skate by on $200-250 for bare minimum, but $400 is what I'd say would be a more prepared kit of stuff for it..

Batteries every week? You are joking. A few rechargeables cost maybe ten to twenty and solves the problem anyway, or you could get a recharge station from Nyko for $30 at the most, and in most cases cheaper.

A component cable is few bucks from Monoprice.com.

A new Wii remote with motion plus built in is $40, and a regular Wii remote is $30. Those are MSRP. Nunchucks run $20 so at most it's $60 for a new set, depending on whether or not you need WM+, and since not all games use that, it's up to you.

System = $200 with two games, at most $5 for component, $20 at most for rechargeable batteries (which would be the same with any console), and depending on what you need for another controller, between $40-$60. Controllers are going to go on sale repeatedly between now and Christmas.

You should be able to get away with $250 for all of that and more, given sales opportunities.

wii system is 200 and includes 2 games, 1 remote, 1 nunchuck, 1 power cable, and 1 av cable (not sure what you mean by component cable, wii comes with 1 that plugs into the wii with rca connectors (yellow for video, red/white for audio, unless you're talking about those wii "hdmi" cables that plugs into hdmi port but wii doesn't output hd)

you probably need at least 1 remote, or more if there are more kids. its worth it if they play it a lot.

[quote name='frpilot'] not sure what you mean by component cable[/QUOTE]

Component adds the blue/green wires in addition to red/yellow/white so that it runs in 480p instead of 480i. Makes a nice difference on an HDTV.

If getting a second remote AND thinking of an additional game, consider Wii Play or Flingsmash. They both come with a wiimote bundled in. I'd recommend Wii Play over the latter, as its more diverse gameplay wise for kids, although not very deep. Just a series of mini-games. Not bad for $10 all things considered.

[quote name='gordiet']Does wii play come with the wii motion plus remote now or no?[/QUOTE]
It doesn't. Fling-smash comes with a wiimote with a built in WM+.

If the Wii is for kids, I wouldn't worry about the component cables. I've got mine hooked up with the included RCA cables, and the games look fine, vs my in-laws, who use a component cable. Buy the other stuff like an extra remote/nunchuck, rechargeable batteries*A MUST*, and some games.

[quote name='gordiet']I'm looking into getting my brother's kids for christmas... everything i see seems to indicate that the system is going to cost $200. Apparently, that doesn't come with a component cable? The component cable is an absolute requirement since it will be used on an HDTV, and I guess I'll have to buy another controller as well. What's the best deal on all of this? It sounds like it's going to cost at least $250.[/QUOTE]
Nice gift.

All these people suggesting rechargeable batteries and everything else is really going overboard. Don't try to outdo Santa Claus now and try to keep it fairly simple but a real good gift.

The component cable I still never bought and looking at it on my friends TV it never made much of a difference for me. It wasn't ever that important to me but I may order one soon anyway.

So that seems like a good gift
Wii
Extra Nunchuk/Controller
Component cable

Maybe Santa brings them some more games.

[quote name='frpilot']you must be their favorite uncle. if i ever got anything like this for Christmas when i was a kid i would be stoked.[/QUOTE]
I Concur.

we got our kids (11yra-10yra old)one each for xmas last year, within 60 days one of them had traded his for a 360 and the other just doesnt play his at all. kids these days....

[quote name='MrKing']we got our kids (11yra-10yra old)one each for xmas last year, within 60 days one of them had traded his for a 360 and the other just doesnt play his at all. kids these days....[/QUOTE]

Tell me about it, I bought one for my sister (15 at the time) on release date. The turd barely played it and still barely plays it even after I have bought her countless games! I should have followed my gut instinct and sold it!

I have been tallying my Wii expenses since I got one in May. In many instances, I've used Gift Cards or gaming credits, but in total I have bought THIRTY-ONE games (including most of the big ones), an extra Nunchuk, a Classic Controller Pro, a Wireless Sensor Bar, a LAN Adapter, Component cables, a 2-remote charging station and the system for I believe $600 or so total OOP.

The most I have paid for a game was the $49.99 MSRP on Fire Emblem, since it was the only new copy I could find (thanks, Kmart). Aside from that, $45.99 for Metroid Other M and a $20 gaming credit is the most I've paid.

In total my expenses including all the accessories is under $400 when not accounting for the major expense in the system itself. In total I've used $70 in gaming credits at Amazon, paid for $45 worth of stuff with Amazon GCs (and could have saved another $90 out of pocket, but am saving my credit), I have used one $15 gaming coupon at Kmart and currently have $35 in coupons saved up.

The Wii can be pricey, that's for sure, but frugality, patience, and a bit of luck can net you some big savings. Anyone remember the GameStop Father's Day sale? $18.90 for a copy of New Super Mario Bros shipped after tax.

If you can avoid getting conned for accessories that are useless (the stupid Wii remote plastic tennis racket/golf club attachment bullshit) and can get some luck in finding what you want at a price you want, the Wii can stay reasonable and yet, you can enjoy a huge library of games.

In all likelihood you will want a second remote. Wii Play is $30 at PC Richard & Son ($31 shipped I believe) and has a Wii Remote with it. There are sellers on eBay that have brand new Intec Nunchucks for $6 shipped. I bought one less than a week ago and got it today- it's pretty good, especially for $6. The parts aren't Nintendo quality, but it works fine. It feels almost like a Nintendo nunchuk.

If the Wii ends up costing you hundreds upon hundreds and you are left with a small collection, you've done it wrong. I have a ton of games, and a ton of accessories, and still haven't put in what I think is a lot of cash (well, I think it is, but in relation to what I have gotten, it's not).

Reading this thread, some people understand shopping around (and apparently, following price trends) better than others.

[quote name='gordiet']I'm looking into getting my brother's kids for christmas... everything i see seems to indicate that the system is going to cost $200. Apparently, that doesn't come with a component cable? The component cable is an absolute requirement since it will be used on an HDTV, and I guess I'll have to buy another controller as well. What's the best deal on all of this? It sounds like it's going to cost at least $250.[/QUOTE]

Best deal is red wii bundle at kmart. with 50dollar giftcard in the form of "shop yourway rewards" card.

Buy the wii instore
you should Instantly get your points on your receipt.
Turn around and buy an extra wiimote+ with your points.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']Best deal is red wii bundle at kmart. with 50dollar giftcard in the form of "shop yourway rewards" card.

Buy the wii instore
you should Instantly get your points on your receipt.
Turn around and buy an extra wiimote+ with your points.[/QUOTE]

^^^THIS^^^ but do not wait as many locations are sold out...! So after you use the points on an extra controller ...fingsmash bundle with coupon to use for the extra controller? or Punchout bundle for the nunchuck?...just look on monoprice or amazon for an inexpensive cable...and remember wii games are 480 not 1080...

Last edited by a moderator:
Flingsmash has a Wii Remote Plus, not a Nunchuk. Nintendo-branded Nunchuk's are $20, and Nyko's are $15. Like I said, you can get one off eBay for $6: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300488207057
I have one of these. Works great. Only thing is they don't ship it in its box, just a bubble mailer (so it's not a gift item, more a personal pick-up).

Component cables are $5 or less. Not just Monoprice, but many other places sell them for $5 with free shipping. I got mine off Amazon for $4.

The Classic Controller comes with Monster Hunter Tri, which can be had for $30 at GS.com (plus you get a really good game).

favorite uncle right here for sure... it's for my brother's three kids (ages 4, 6, & 8) -- we were back and forth between Kinect & Wii (he already has a 360), but Kinect's lack of software and the fact that they're kids in the Wii Generation and have only played it at friends houses a couple times were factors to consider... playing wii sports w/ grandma & grandpa on christmas morning will hopefully be a long-lasting memory for them

right now, the best deal appears to be the bundle on newegg because you don't have to pay tax & of course the shipping is free... still waiting a bit to see if anybody's marking it down for black friday (sears is knocking it down $10 & you still have to pay sales tax, making newegg's deal still better)

I'll throw it out right now that the only place you're likely to see a Wii-related deal is Walmart.... and it's not looking likely.

Amazon has had it available multiple times throughout the year with a ~$30 video game credit, or have had it for $175. I don't know if they are going to do that again, but...

[quote name='gordiet']Best Buy's got a Black Friday deal on the Wii -- $169.99[/QUOTE]
Nice! Is there limited availability or do you think they'll last? I know someone who wants to buy a Wii I'd like to let them know but I don't think they'd camp out for it.

It depends. I think the ad says minimum 15 per store. That said, whether your store gets 15 or 150 is dependent.

You could also probably pricematch at Walmart. They do pricematch, even on BF.

Not sure where you live but none of the Wii deals are as great as they seem compared to Amazon. For me Amazon is free shipping with no tax (195 for black, 200 for red with Mario game). On the other hand, the Best Buy black friday deal is 186 (170+9.75% sales tax) and the KMart deal is 170 (200+9.75% sales tax = 220, subtract a 50 card rebate). For me, 9 bucks isn't worth going to Best Buy on black friday unless you happen to be going there for something else as well. And the KMart deal is good but it seems to be selling quickly and hard to get. After paying tax on the second product from the 50 KMart rebate card (probably a Wii Remote Plus, bundled with flingsmash) there is another 5 bucks in tax for me. This brings the total price benefit of getting the KMart deal down to around 25, and this assumes that you can find it.

So none of the deals are really as good as they seem for where I live. In my area, the KMart deal does seem the best ($25 cheaper than Amazon). And as I said, having been to Best Buy (and other stores) on black friday, it is definitely not worth it to me just for 9 bucks. And you also have to factor that, as far as I know, Best Buy is selling the black version and not the red version at a cheaper price (which comes bundled with an extra game).

[quote name='bk187']Not sure where you live but none of the Wii deals are as great as they seem compared to Amazon. For me Amazon is free shipping with no tax (195 for black, 200 for red with Mario game). On the other hand, the Best Buy black friday deal is 186 (170+9.75% sales tax) and the KMart deal is 170 (200+9.75% sales tax = 220, subtract a 50 card rebate). For me, 9 bucks isn't worth going to Best Buy on black friday unless you happen to be going there for something else as well. And the KMart deal is good but it seems to be selling quickly and hard to get. After paying tax on the second product from the 50 KMart rebate card (probably a Wii Remote Plus, bundled with flingsmash) there is another 5 bucks in tax for me. This brings the total price benefit of getting the KMart deal down to around 25, and this assumes that you can find it.

So none of the deals are really as good as they seem for where I live. In my area, the KMart deal does seem the best ($25 cheaper than Amazon). And as I said, having been to Best Buy (and other stores) on black friday, it is definitely not worth it to me just for 9 bucks. And you also have to factor that, as far as I know, Best Buy is selling the black version and not the red version at a cheaper price (which comes bundled with an extra game).[/QUOTE]

Yeah exactly.
Once you figure out the actual cost after taxes/deals etc.
The 169.99+tax BF bestbuy deal doesnt look good at all. (its for the white or black wii with wi resort and wii sports)

For many others the $170 would only come out to about $182 final price. Who is to say someone wants a Red Wii? Many people may prefer a black or white Wii and can find NSMB Wii for a good enough price otherwise.

bread's done
Back