Buying an HDTV Online? Great Deal or Bad Idea?

goomba478

CAGiversary!
Feedback
599 (100%)
Hey guys...Just wanted to get your advice on my situation. I've been waiting a LONG time to get an HDTV (I've used the same 19" SDTV now for almost 11 years, so I desperately need an upgrade) and I've finally decided on the Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p set: Model #LC42D64U

The only problem is that this set retails for $1799 in stores like Best Buy and Circuit City and other stores locally have it slightly cheaper ($1649), but after tax and delivery costs and such it ends up about the same in the end. I find that the same model TV is hundreds of dollars cheaper online and sites like Amazon.com even have it almost $400 less than retail...the only issues (for me) are that I'm worried about ordering such a high-end item online, and it's not shipped directly from Amazon (they typically use outside companies to mail them or 3rd party sellers).

Anyone order HDTVs online? I'd love to hear what you guys think about it. Thanks!

Also, don't worry too much about the model number or the make (though I have heard almost nothing but great things about the Sharp Aquos models). I'm really just interested in the HDTV online ordering aspect and not the specific model ^_^ Thanks!

My HDTV set came from a thirdparty Delivery company, they even help me bring it into my house (Their only required to do curbside delivery. Everything was in great shape, box was even in superb condition. This is of course a case by case basis. Im sure if their is any delivery damage Amazon would cover it and or make it right

First of all, fantastic choice on the model. I have a 32" Aquos myself... love it!:)

I bought mine online, from BuyDig.com. I received it from one of their warehouses through FedEx. Took like 5 days from when I order... didn't have any problems. Amazon is really good about taking care of any problems so I wouldn't worry about it.

I just had a friend at work order from Amazon and the 56-inch TV showed up on time with no issues. If you read customer reviews at Amazon, there are people who have had problems with Eagle Delivery, but for the most part it seems the satisfaction rate is pretty high. Plus, Amazon is generally a very good company when it comes to making its customers happy.

I ordered a 32" Samsung through an Amazon Marketplace seller - the TV was shipped promptly (arrived a week after I ordered) and without damage. I would recommend the Amazon approach to anyone else.

Okay guys well you've made me feel a LOT more comfortable now ^_^ Both on the Aquos front and the ordering online (especially from Amazon). I guess I should know, since I order 90% of my stuff online from Amazon, but having outside companies do it just made me a little nervous at first. Thanks guys =)

I've ordered a few TV's for my office and 1 for my self, never had a problem, (got them from newegg.com tigerdirect.com and macmall.com)

I got that exact model in nov. and pd 1199 + tax at circuit city. It was a price error at the time. You should be able to get this tv for 1300ish at worst if your patient and keep watching. 3-4 weeks ago it was 15something at CC with a free blueray player. I have heard nothing but praise for amazon regarding tv purchases. The others I have no idea. For the price I paid I love it.

Whoa, Thank you Drnick!

You recommending MacMall was something I hadn't considered. I just went to there to check it out and it turns out they have it for even cheaper than Amazon (over $100)...looks like I know where I'll be getting my TV from now :) thanks again!

Couple things I would mention. I've never bought a TV online but I have bought many other pieces of my home theater equipment online and would assume the same is true. If you are concerned about the warranty of your equipment you want to make sure the retailer is an "authorized" seller of the manufacturer. If they are not, Sharp may not honor the manufacturer warranty.

I would assume Amazon would be an authorized Sharp retailer but its always good to check. Second, when speaking about Amazon it always good to double check what company the product is actually coming from: Amazon or another reseller using Amazon as a store front. If another company you'd need to check them as an authorized reseller as opposed to Amazon.

Anyway, awesome choice for a HDTV man. Wherever you get it, ENJOY!

Good question Striker. I'm not sure if Amazon will price match or not, but it's worth trying (since the reviews of MacMall on FatWallet are kind of scaring me a bit). Thanks also SamuraiSausage (cool nick by the way).

I'm going to go ahead and recommend this TV for you, just to give you an option: http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5391798

They have it on sale for $1,599.99, when it normally retails for about $2,800.00. It's a great TV. I bought it from Frys, and it just came today via ABF. Everything is in great condition and the TV works perfectly.

Just thought I'd let you know about that awesome deal.

Had my 50 inch plasma delivered via Eagle from a purchase through Amazon.com. No complaints. They brought it in my house unboxed it and made sure the TV worked.
If you really want it get it from a B&M. Best Buy is very flexible on HDTV price matching. They had my TV for $2700. I asked about their price matching policy. He brought up that they were only "supposed to" match print ads. I mentioned Amazon had the same set for $2100. I didnt even have a print out. He went to his station and came back with a price of $2200 plus their financing deals and RZ points.
However, I didnt want the burden of driving it back home in a friends truck and hoping it is perfect out of the box because if it wasn't then I would have to drive it back. With Amazon you can refuse delivery if anything is wrong with the TV.

I bought my 32" Aquos online (GREAT set, btw). I don't remember where I bought it from (Amazon?) and it shipped Fedex. The guy carried it up 3 flights of stairs before he even knew if I was home or not. A little scary thinking about if he would have just left it or not, but they had tracking so I knew it was on the way.

Malice, thanks for the suggestion but I'm really stuck on my model ^_^ I've done research for almost a year now ... plus, 42" is the largest I can realistically go for the room I have and the viewing distance I want from my couch and I have decided on LCD against Plasma for a couple of reasons. Still, a great TV you recommended and I do appreciate the input.

Meladdin, that's interesting that Best Buy would price match an online offer like that. I never actually thought about it, but it's worth a shot anyhow. I doubt they will as the price difference is around $400+ but definitely worth a try :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

I have purchased a set from Amazon, it went extremely well. The item arrived quickly, the delivery drivers were right on time(Eagle) and took instruction well, and the unit was perfect.

It seems your biggest issue would be in the event of a defect, if you had to ship the item back on your own it could be a bit costly/ annoying.

I bought my TV at best buy and Im onto #2 set. The previous one had a problem, this new one has the same problem plus something under the screen so back it goes for a different model. If i had to deal with amazon and shipping it back so many times It would of been a massive pain in the ass.

TO me its worth having the store to drive and take it back to if it has problems.

Good luck with your choice!

Buying online should not be a problem as long as you elect to do business with reliable online stores, like Amazon and NewEgg. ^_^

Yeah, I think I will be ordering online unless I can get a price-match at Best Buy or at Bernies (a New England sort of Mom-and-Pop chain). Thanks for all the advice guys ^_^ I'm getting excited! I plan to order it next week and hopefully will have it two weeks from now. My lifetime of SDTV is almost officially at an end =)

got my 55 inch sony online from amazon, totally killed what i woulda had to pay instore, plus shipped and set up in my room for free

Last week I took delivery on my 52" Sharp Aquos which was ordered through Costco, and delivered by Eagle. I'll admit I was a bit nervous ordering such a large ticket item online myself, Goomba, but I'm happy to say all went exceedingly well. By going through Costco, I still had to pay sales tax, but Costco added an extra year to my warranty by purchasing with them.

I didn't have any luck with my local Best Buy matching any online prices, but it certainly is worth a shot.

Since no one has chimed in on the other side yet for whatever reason - I don't recommend it. If you are dead-set on buying from a place online to save some money, make sure it's an easy-to-deal-with place like Amazon. If it's not Amazon, do every bit of research you can on their return policies before buying - some places won't take a TV back no matter what.

If it's worth the risk to you, then go ahead. I'd rather spend the extra few hundred bucks to pick it up at Circuit City or whatever and then be able to dump it off on their doorstep again if something is wrong with it....which is exactly what I did with not one but two Sharp Aquos models (although I bought the 46" model from a year ago, the smaller ones may be better).

You need to get over to avsforum.com and read up on any issues that may be present in the model you're buying, though.

I got my TV from OneCall.com and the experience was great. They shipped the TV with shock stickers all over it so that I could see immediately if it was possibly damaged in transit. Fast delivery and an unbeatable price makes me recommend them to anyone.

P.S. - The set you are looking for is not in stock right now but they are selling it for $1549.99

[quote name='Dante Devil']Sounds like many of you recommend buying these HDTVs online. Might look into it. I always like to see the products in the store.[/QUOTE]

I went to the store to see what I wanted then bought it online for huge savings. I would definitely not buy a TV without seeing it first in person.

bread's done
Back