Buying games early?

Streetpack

CAG Veteran
Hi, I'm new to this forum and I live in Montreal, I was just wondering if anybody knew of any mom n pop stores that sell video games early? I'm looking to get an early copy of Madden 11 for this weekend. Any help is appreciated

I used to work in a game store and their is a reason most small stores dont get games early.
Generally they would get games from a distributor. EA for example is not going to deal w/ the smaller independents. Not worth their time.
Well the distributors only shipped the game on the release date (say Tues for example) so in many cases their are delays.
Something like Halo gets shipped early, so the smaller stores are able to sell it on the street date.

I remember a lot of people were pissed about it, but not much we could do.

My friend used to have a store in Montreal (closed a couple of months ago). In 8 years, he only got one game early. Halo 2, and that was about 8 hours before the midnight launch.

Also, good luck finding an independant game store in Montreal. There's practically none now. With EBGames, Microplay, BestBuy and Future Shop all selling used games, they basically drove out smaller stores. My friend had a hell of a time selling new games. His distributor would sell him the new games at one dollar less than what Walmart would sell them. The thing is, once bought, he was stuck with those. With no way to return them if they didn't sell. Instead, he started buying them from Walmart at 1$ more but at least he had the chance to return them without 30 days.

Good luck getting a copy early from a mom and pop if you are not a regular customer. These stores all sign street date agreements, that agree to harsh penalties if they sell the game early. So, unless your a regular shopper I don't see them taking a risk on you for the $10 profit they will make.

The real question is "what mom n pop stores are there in Montreal" and the answer is NONE.

MTL is a barren wasteland in terms of video gaming retailers.

[quote name='jeffx']The real question is "what mom n pop stores are there in Montreal" and the answer is NONE.

MTL is a barren wasteland in terms of video gaming retailers.[/QUOTE]

As far as I know, this is true :cry:

Thanks for the replies. It is as I thought lol, I was really hoping there would be one. O well, I can wait not the end of the world.

Microplay might be the closest you'll get to it, since they're franchises but I remember during the Halo 2 launch that while we did have the game "early" we weren't allowed to buy/rent it before the launch.
Nintendo stuff was different. Could sell it pretty much as soon as we got it in the door. lol

bread's done
Back