buying microsoftpoints

triforcer

CAGiversary!
with castle crashers and worms coming out pretty soon i decided i should probably get some points, but i wanted to know if i should just get them through LIVE or buy a card. does anyone know if tax is charged through the live market place? i live in california and if i can save a buck or two and a trip to the store, i'd rather just do that.

no tax on points marketplace or if you buy them in a store. the only difference is:

In store you can only buy them in 20 dollar increments i.e. 1600 points

on the marketplace you can only buy them in $6.25 increments if i remember correctly, i.e: 500, 1000, 2000 points (need correction on this actually)

huh, i thought you would get charged tax if you bought it from the store. anyway thanks for the info, i did read that new yorkers may get charged tax even online cause they have a law which requires taxation for online items.

I bought two cards from best buy this week to prepare for upcoming releases. Can't beat the gamer gift card.

Also picked up 5 tickets to see 300 abusing their computer glitch.

This is no different than buying a phone card, there should be no tax on it. I wish there was a way to use a BB coupon on it though, I'd love to get a 1600 card for $15.

The best deal is using the GGC at Best Buy. Or, you could always sign up for a free one (or more) in the "Free 1600 Microsoft Points" thread.

Online, with your credit card in the Xbox 360 Dashboard, you can buy points like this:

500 for $6.25
1000 for $12.50
2000 for $25
5000 for 62.50

Which all boils down to $1.25 for 100 points.

The best deal that I see for immediate points is to go to Best Buy and Grab one of the these GGC:

GGChalfsize.jpg

Which is explained here.

Than go put 5 bucks on it and pick up one of these:

MSPoints75.jpg

That way you get 1600 points for $15 when they retail for $20

If your looking for free points the Xbox360 Achiever and true.com deal here is confirmed.

[quote name='thrustbucket']I bought two cards from best buy this week to prepare for upcoming releases. Can't beat the gamer gift card.

Also picked up 5 tickets to see 300 abusing their computer glitch.[/quote]

Free? =)

Already have IMAX tickets, but a second set would be tits.

[quote name='horrorfilmkid']Online, with your credit card in the Xbox 360 Dashboard, you can buy points like this:

500 for $6.25
1000 for $12.50
2000 for $25
5000 for 62.50

Which all boils down to $1.25 for 100 points.

The best deal that I see for immediate points is to go to Best Buy and Grab one of the these GGC:

GGChalfsize.jpg

Which is explained here.

Than go put 5 bucks on it and pick up one of these:

MSPoints75.jpg

That way you get 1600 points for $15 when they retail for $20

If your looking for free points the Xbox360 Achiever and true.com deal here is confirmed.[/quote] cool, thanks i'll do the best buy thing. i did try to sign up for the true account, but i realize i don't want to go through the hassle if they didn't cancel my account.

[quote name='triforcer']cool, thanks i'll do the best buy thing. i did try to sign up for the true account, but i realize i don't want to go through the hassle if they didn't cancel my account.[/quote]

Yeah the bad thing about being a real cheap ass is having to take the time to call customer service reps and say "hey i dont want your free month of the service i'm calling to cancel"

yea, i did that already to get an ipod a few years ago and i didn't run into any problems, but i don't want to push my luck with stuff like that.

[quote name='triforcer']yea, i did that already to get an ipod a few years ago and i didn't run into any problems, but i don't want to push my luck with stuff like that.[/quote]

I do not push my luck either. If I ever do a credit card offer it is actually for something that I actually want. I tend to stick to things that are free...because is not that what cheap ass gaming is all about!? :cool:

Oh, I forgot to address the original question of the thread, lol.

Anyway, the deal at Best Buy discussed above by horrofilmkid is a good way, although I can never find those things at the stores I frequent.

I have never bought one before although I have 2000 points with a lot more coming soon. I got 400 from that Discovery Channel Futureweapons promo (should have gotten another 400 but the code did not show up), I got 1600 from Gaming Lagoon and will have another one any day now, and I am almost halfway to one on GameTrailers.com. That should take like a month or so.

So what is my conclusion? Buy at Best Buy if you can do that deal or even if you cannot just use your Reward Zone card and at least get something out of it. It is simply down to your preference. Have fun!

[quote name='halfbent']Free? =)

Already have IMAX tickets, but a second set would be tits.[/quote]

Huh?!?! :whistle2:k Is there some sort of lingo I am missing out on?

Don't know if Best Buy still has the deal, but if you're planning on picking up Halo 3, you can get 1600 pts. for $5.

i thought that was only for bestbuy.com, is it in store also? if it is i rather do that so they wont charge my card.

[quote name='triforcer']with castle crashers...coming out pretty soon...[/QUOTE]

Since when is Castle Crashers coming out pretty soon?

I made this purchase last Friday off of XBox.com; I signed in, went to my profile, went to MS Points, and purchased 2000 points. I used the PayPal Virtual Debit Card (which is SWEET as hell), but found that it deducted $25 AND $1 MS Online charge ... WTF?? Are they charging to buy these things online.

Yea I already get screwed because I'm in NY so anything still means I'm payin tax. I usually do it from the dashboard since it's easier for me.

bread's done
Back