Buying new car radio/speakers?

david12795

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Hello I am not sure if this is a right place to post but ill get onto my point

im looking for deals for any speakers/radios for my car. i currently drive a 2001 toyota rav4. is there any links for guides on how to get started for looking radios/speakers?

im looking for any speakers that is better than my current STOCK one. (i dont know how many watts the stock have and it would be nice if i could find a site with all the details of my car).

and im looking for a i guess you can say a user friend radio WITH an AXILLARY output, i heard these are better than cds

thanks!
smile.gif

Essentially ANY speakers you buy will be better than stock speakers. That's even true for 'premium' systems - as long as you're not buying some bottom of the barrel crap. Most stock speakers are the lowest quality Blaupunk made, but debranded of course. Stock speakers generally have heavy card stock paper cones, meaning they give the illusion of a decent midbass, with absolutely terrible treble and bass. If your car has an internal stock 'amp' just bypass it, it's going to cause more noise than an actual increase in quality - for the most part those are a complete piece of shit. Your 'watts' on your stock system are irrelevant, again anything stock is pretty much going to blow and be rated weird by the manufacturer anyways.

Stick with brand names - but you may not know all the brand names - for instance Diamond is generally one of the best (and most expensive) manufacturers there are. Regardless you should replace the head unit (the radio itself) - which you buy will really be dependant on you again, but stick to brand names. Most modern head units have AUX output (but I'm pretty sure you mean input here, which most again have) - but I don't really know what you mean by "i heard these are better than CDs." CDs are higher quality than even some of the highest encoded MP3 tracks. I've been very pleased with JVC and Kenwood decks in the past, my Sony deck, not so much, it was ok. For speakers, if you want something simple the head unit itself should be able to power it, you can pretty much ignore "watts" on a headunit - as long as it claims 40x4 you're fine - but these claims are usually maximum wattage not actual standard wattage. The best bet is an external amp but you start getting pricey at that point - so any modern name brand deck you like will work just fine as long as you don't get speakers that are too good for them (as in require fairly high wattage). Price-wise if you get the middle of the road brand name stuff you'll probably be pretty pleased over stock; but I always advise people to highly consider what they ultimately want in a system before they make any purchase. Preplanning for the future can be very important. I'd say, don't skimp too much on the head unit (radio) itself, a nice $200 one should have most of the features you'd want or need, and should be able to hold if you if end up wanting a beefier system. For the speakers if you just want an improvement to stock and that's all - nothing amazing, I'd say shoot for the $120 mark a pair. Again, I'd avoid Sony.

Like most things, go to a store and listen, find what you like. Just be aware without an advanced system you're not going to have anything amazing, even after spending $500 - although you can make nice system for $900 ish.

Personal brand recommendations based on your wants:
Head Units: JVC, Kenwood, Alpine is ok, Pioneer isn't great, Sony is really just ok, Jensen is shit, Clairion meh, ($200 should be plenty for your needs) IE:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood...Deck/9760697.p?id=1218168620295&skuId=9760697 As long as your head unit has most standard features, it'll be fine really - even if you want to expand, as long as it has 2-3 preamp out's (which almost all do in that price range) it will last you if you want to expand your system.

Speakers: NOT Sony, maybe MTX (they're far worse since partnering with Best Buy but still good), maybe Rockford Fosgate - I dig RF's higher end stuff. I'd probably avoid JVC. I'm a big fan of Kickers. JL Audio is nice too. Kenwood is OK, some of their upper level stuff is pretty decent. Pioneer is bleh, Blaupunk is crap, Alpine is decent/ok. Clairion is good at their higher levels. ($70-$120 a PAIR - I really wouldn't go too much less than that, and more will likely need an amp or be wasted without an amp)

You don't likely need:
Subs: JL Audio, MTX, RF, Kickers. - probably a bit much for what you're looking for, but nice to consider for the future.
Amps: Pheonix Audio, MTX (love old MTX amps), Kickers, RF, JL audio - all decent amps. Suprisingly with amps you want to generally stay away from 'common' brand names like Kenwood, Sony, JVC, etc.
And yes for any audiophiles out there, the quality of Kicker, RF, and MTX have greatly declined since becoming more corporate - but I'm not telling him how to make a $4000 system, so shut it.

first off, i would like to say thanks for taking your time to answer my question :D.

i actually haven't listened to the difference of the quality between CD's and MP3s. My friend did and he said it sounded amazing compared to CDs, so I just took his word for it. But it definitely beats using a cassette adapter (i used to think cassette and CD's have the same quality before I played CD in my car). I'm guessing its due to the bitrate? but then again CDs and MP3s can have the same bitrate if played from the same file, if that makes sense. lol.

I'm not looking for something "Big", like a sub-woofer with 2 12's and an amp (that would be nice) but something sufficient for my standards. My price range for getting a good speakers is less than $100 for all 4 doors and a radio unit less than $100 as well, leaving the rest of my funds to installation. I'm not going to attempt installing it myself. In summary, I just 4 new speakers and a new radio to go along with it. Nothing big. I'll worry about that once I get a new car ;)

But gotcha, I'll keep a head out for a new radio unit thats 40 x 4 and make sure my speakes wont outdo my radio...how do i determine that? Example please? haha. I heard kenwood and pioneer were pretty good actually. Maybe I'll test that out at BB. I did see JVC speakers go on sale back in June. Link: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=230976&t=2058384

Link you gave me is broken btw. and also I have seen open box radios at best buy so I'll check that out.

As far as CD vs MP3 - standard CDDA audio - like off a CD you'd buy at a store, is stored at ~1410 kpbs, most MP3s are 128 kbps, or 256 kbs. Even if you're playing both from a CD itself, an uncompressed CD will always sound better than MP3 - even though MP3 encoding is highly effective, it will never sound as good as a standard CD, ever. Most people though - won't notice a big difference. CD's are played from what's essentially CDDA format, not MP3 - standard CDs will sound better. An MP3 on a CD is still encoded at it's original encode rate, regardless of the media it's stored on.

Hmm, that gets a lot tougher. You can probably find a nice head unit for the car for around 100, plus ~15 for wiring and install kit. I recommend just doing the install yourself - on MOST cars installing a new head unit is a lot easier than people think. Last Toyota I worked on it was pretty easy, but do some quick research and find out - you could save $50 on install or whatever it is by just spending a couple of hours of your own time, and learning a thing or two. It's really well worth trying out. Usually all you need is a screwdriver, some wirestrippers, and electrical tape - on a lot of installs you won't even need the wire strippers / elec. tape.

Given the price point you're looking at, for head units, I'd REALLY go ahead and spend the extra $30 and get this - and do the install yourself to make up for the price:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood...Deck/9760624.p?id=1218168618626&skuId=9760624

Now feel free to disagree, it's your money - and we're all on budgets so do what you're comfortable with.
On the lower price range, honestly any of the $99.99 JVC, Kenwood, or Alpine decks on Best Buy.com will serve you pretty darn well for what you want - and they'll even hold up pretty well if you want to expand your horizons later:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...id&list=y&iht=n&st=processingtime:>1900-01-01

That slickdeals on those speakers would probably have been pretty darn good for you - provided they fit your car's stock speaker holes (edit: they did). I'd go ahead and have the speakers themselves installed - just for the sake of sanity.

Looks like all your speakers are the 6 1/2" size, which is actually a nice size to be working with.

In your price range I might consider:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer...air)/9454752.p?id=1218109605642&skuId=9454752

You'll need two pairs of course. Unless your RAV4 has the 6-speaker set up, in which I'd really have to see it to figure out if you can just bypass 2 of the old speakers, or if there is a factory 'amp' etc. I'm not a huge fan of the speakers above, but for the price, they aren't bad. Here's the $50-100 page for Best Buy. I'd really consider looking for a nice 2-way set at the $99 mark, but again I understand having a budget. On the lowest end, the Kenwood and the Clairons will be comparable to each other at $50 a pair - which you prefer will likely be based on personal preference.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemp...=15&sc=carSP&sp=+brand+skuid&usc=abcat0300000

A lot of times you can find last year's model on clearance if you look around - generally, there's not much improvement year to year - so don't feel bad about getting last year's speaker model, it's usually a much better deal.

In general, I'd suggest spending on the top end of your budget:
$130 head unit, $99 x 2 speakers, $15 wire/install kit for head unit, $100? install for speakers - I know that's more than you were looking for but leaves a lot of expandability, and you'll be really pleased with it.
On the lower end of your budget:
$99 head unit, $15 install kit, $50 x 2 speakers, $100 speaker install. That'd be $315. You might be able to find another deal like that slick deals which would help greatly. I'm pretty wary of that $50 speaker mark though, unless you find a deal - standard $50 speakers are really rather meh, and not a significant improvement over stock to most peoples ears. They WILL be a huge improvement, but for the money spent, you won't likely realize.

If you're really looking to save money, speaker installs aren't hard, especially when you're keeping stock wiring and stock speaker size - just time consuming.

Unfortunately, car audio gets expensive quick, even on the low-end.

Don't feel like you need to do it all at once either. The best car audio systems (even low end systems) are 'living' systems, that you upgrade slowly over time and have time to evaluate each step. You don't get the huge 'wow that sounds sooo much better' by doing this, but that's just a psychological thing - it will sound better, period.

A new head unit will improve your over-all quality a lot more than people think, and a lot more than pros like to admit - because they relieved cleaner power, and crisper sound, with far less noise. You're also more likely to blow stock speakers with them, but it would be a nice improvement while you get together more money. I think if you skimp in the short run you'll be disappointed in the long run. I say get a head unit, enjoy it for awhile, then decide if you want to add on new speakers while you save up for them, as they'll be the more costly part.

A decent set of 2-way speakers will have far less bass than people usually like, but will put you in a nice position if ever want to expand. I really recommend against 3-way speakers, as they're just not great at anything, and have a fake bouncy bass that people usually blow speakers with trying to get more out of them then they were designed for. Heck even with one of those 'boom-tube' things, and a set of nice 2-way speakers, I bet you'd be shocked at how much of an improvement it is. Systems can be an investment, I've taken my 'living' system with me through 3 cars now, and while over time A LOT of it has been replaced, it's been nice to always have a decent system when I got into a 'new' car.

Before I forget!! I went took your advice and went to BB and got this:

Alpine IDA x303. it was on sale for $44 total. What luck huh? The guy said it was last year's model.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-07MxiSoQ8Yd/p_500IDAX303/Alpine-iDA-X303.html

No CD drive :\ but my intention was to play it off of an MP3 anyways. They are 50 x 4, is that fine? and my RAV 4 has 4 speakers, one on each door.

I would totally jump on those JVC speakers but that deal expired a while so I have to find another speaker that fits my budget. But actually, i did not know a radio can slightly improve your speakers, maybe ill get the radio installed first then get the speakers, or at the same time. But ill definitely keep a head out for those links you sent me. :D

Aren't 2 and 3 way speakers categorized into coaxial and component speakers? i looked those up online and srsly dont know which one I want nor do i understand their features of their style of music. I do know that one differs from the other because if i recall, one plays an AMAZING sound within the range of the car with the low bass and everything and the other just plays loud so everyone can hear it out of range, like people who have the tendency to blast rap music where you can hear it blocks away. Just a wild guess for these two. I just want a nice surround and good bass. With Cag experience :)p) and SD, ill eventually find a deal

Any online guides to installing speakers or is it different for every car? or better yet, ill just look for it myself instead of making u do more explanation for me!

I was going to make my own thread, but thought I'd try to get some help in here first.

I'm in the market for a new double-din HD radio receiver. Does anyone have recommendations? I'm primarily I'm interested in a Pioneer system, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance!

Honestly, if you ever want to get some extra bass in there, you don't need 2 12" subs. You can get some great sound with a single 10" or 12" unless you're looking for something to blow the windows out. I remember plenty of people in HS (and still today) who put in 2+ 12" subs, huge amps, etc, and had nothing but window shaking bass. You couldn't hear the music, lol.

Most speakers in the price range you're talking about will be very similar. It's difficult to hear the difference between them unless you're a big time audio guy and know exactly what to look for. To me, most things sound the same by the time you play with the EQ. If you're looking for higher end stuff, I recommend some component speakers. I used to have an awesome MB Quartz setup in my Jeep that was loud as hell! Now, I just have some basic Kenwoods, a Kenwood deck, and a single Spyder 12" sub in the back with a decent amp. It's not too crazy loud, but I don't want that anymore.

@ Drums, double-dins are a tough find... not many people seem to make them. Are you looking for a double din for any specific reason? You can typically find a better selection of radios in single-din. If your car has a double-din slot, you can get a kit for most vehicles.

Don't know how much they cost now since I've been out of the car stereo scene for a while, but Kicker was always an amazing brand for speakers. As for a stereo, you can can try Alpine or Pioneer, both are good brands. Look up sizing charts online since different cars use different size speakers and use different mounting kits to install the stereos. If you don't really know anything about car stereos, I'd look for help installing it. Typically, Toyotas are pretty easy to work with, though. Just find the right parts and most of it is just plug and play. Be careful with older cars, though since you can easily crack the dashboard when you're removing the stereo on some cars. Your car is only about 10 years old so I don't think that should be an issue unless it has some serious sun damage.

[quote name='Retom7']
@ Drums, double-dins are a tough find... not many people seem to make them. Are you looking for a double din for any specific reason? You can typically find a better selection of radios in single-din. If your car has a double-din slot, you can get a kit for most vehicles.[/QUOTE]

I had a Pioneer single-din head unit in my 2001 Isuzu Rodeo. Unfortunately, when I traded it in back in 2004, I neglected to get it uninstalled (I won't ever let that happen again). I currently have a 2004 Ford Explorer, which has a double-din slot. Unfortunately, my stereo won't eject my CD's any longer and I'm so tired of it.

I think the double-din will give me a nice clean look. I'd seriously consider a single-din unit if I saw some nice pictures of a clean, custom install.

I guess I should start looking at some car forums. I used to follow one, but I forget what it's called. Any recommendations on automobile forums that I can see some custom installs?

i would first recomend going into a best buy to the car audio section- there should be a litle computer setup that when you enter your vehicle info it will tell you how many speakers you have and what sizes they are, and it will also recomend some speakers for you. Take that info and search around the web for what you would like to use/afford. I went with infinity referance through out my '04 f150 supercrew short bed with a infinity capa perfect 10" sub with an mtx 1200k watt amp with a sony giga panel head unit.

bread's done
Back