Buying PS3's on Craigs List

asianxcore

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I might be picking up a PS3 in the next week or so off Craig's List.

Is there anything I should keep my eyes open for?

Should I only look for sealed PS3's? With receipts? (Apossum mentioned to me Sony needs a receipt to honor the warranty?)

Thanks (sorry if it's a dumb question)

I sold a PS3 on Craigslist, we met at a Blockbuster.
Eh. He paid me beforehand via Paypal though.

Oh, and welcome to the Dark Side.

[quote name='chodax']i always wondered how do you know if the system is working or broken[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping to find a good deal on a sealed 60GB, so I don't have to worry about that.

If I do end up getting a used one, I have a lot of friends who work at a local TRU. I can use one of their display TV's there to test out the PS3.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Risk you take.
Hopefully it's sealed.
And you should get plenty of info from the seller like a phone number, etc to contact them afterwards if you need to.

The guy I bought the Dreamcast from demoed it for me at his house.

personally, I like getting in, grabbing my stuff, and leaving when I meet up with someone on CL :lol: Might as well get the sealed one so you get the full warranty without the stranger germs and bad games in the BD drive. (Genji and Untold Legends reduce the life of the drive by 15% because they are so bad. true story.)

Open it up while the guy is there though-- in case the joker fills the box with something weighty or something.

as for the receipt, that was straight from the Sony CS person-- they wouldn't even replace a broken controller without it.

[quote name='Apossum']
Open it up while the guy is there though-- in case the joker fills the box with something weighty or something.

as for the receipt, that was straight from the Sony CS person-- they wouldn't even replace a broken controller without it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for letting me know about the receipt. I was looking up warranty information on Sony's site and you are right about it. They need a bill or proof of purchase from an authorized retailer to honor the warranty.

I remember a while ago on these boards someone mentioned their mom got a PS3 filled with bricks or something? So I'll be sure to open up the box if it's sealed to make sure everything is there. I will most likely bring along a friend of mine who got a PS3 not too long ago, just to make sure.

"Genji and Untold Legends reduce the life of the drive by 15% because they are so bad. true story."

Hey, I like Untold Legends. :)

Okay, back on topic..

I wouldn't buy anything off of craig's list if it's over 125 dollars. There's no guarantee on anything... no guarantee that you can even find the person you bought it from it the product is no good. For certain things, buy from someone you trust or straight from retail.

Thanks again for all the help.

Being the moron/impatient person I am, I agreed to a deal I found posted today on Craigs List

$450
60GB PS3 (no receipt)
HDMI Cable
2 Wireless PS3 controllers (1st party)
Original Box/packaging + other contents (USB cable, etc.)

The seller is delivering it to my place for no extra charge. My friends will be over playing some fighting games, so I'll get to test it out before paying.

I sold my Wii and my DSlite using CL and basically met with them in a good traffic area and got money before handing over the goods.. I usually leave them my name and number in case anything comes up or if they have issues with replacement plans...

Now from my exp being on the buying end ... most people tend to meet in similar crowded areas.. take the money first.. dont always get all the same as far as resources in case something is damaged but I have not been shafted yet..

I dont know if anything don't feel afraid to ask them questions if the person is decent and not pulling your elbow they should be happy to answer anything or even hook it up if its used to see it working.. If anyone seems impatient or avoids questions tell them to :whistle2:# themselves...

If its sealed make sure it has a receipt and if it's used inspect and possibly get the guy to show you it working...

Good luck and sounds like a good deal...

Thanks. There was a guy in my area who had a sealed 60GB w/ receipt and 3 year warranty @ EB for $440. Problem was I couldn't get a hold of him for 2 days.

The seller actually just called to let me know that he was going to Best Buy to try and get a duplicate receipt. I would be pretty happy if I do get the receipt.

I should have it by tonight now, if the test run goes well.

Is it possible to erase his PS3 username/account and start a new one? Can I format the hard-drive to erase all his saves and so on?

[quote name='asianxcore']Thanks again for all the help.

Being the moron/impatient person I am, I agreed to a deal I found posted today on Craigs List

$450
60GB PS3 (no receipt)
HDMI Cable
2 Wireless PS3 controllers (1st party)
Original Box/packaging + other contents (USB cable, etc.)

The seller is delivering it to my place for no extra charge. My friends will be over playing some fighting games, so I'll get to test it out before paying.[/QUOTE]

that's good, at least you're doing it via mail so that you don't have to confront the person. Someone got robbed during a craiglist's exchange. Enjoy your Playstation 3. Damn, you came up!

[quote name='Thomas96']that's good, at least you're doing it via mail so that you don't have to confront the person. Someone got robbed during a craiglist's exchange. Enjoy your Playstation 3. Damn, you came up![/quote]

Err I think the person means they're hand delivering it to them in person. I would never use CL to send anything by mail, there is no safeguard.

I got mine on CL, it was an excellent deal. Made sure I had his phone number, and did a little 'other' research. Make sure you meet them in a public place, and check the machine out. If they let you demo it, even better. Make sure someone knows where you are and/or have more than just yourself meeting him.

There are risks, but $450 for a practically unused 60GB and two games was too good to pass up, and I'm sure you feel the same about your deal. Enjoy. ;)

Yup, the seller came to my place so that I could demo the PS3. I had some friends over playing games, so I had no worries about safety.

Everything worked great. Tested out VF5, SFIII Third Strike (PS2) and a Hellboy DVD just to make sure. Everything that came in the original package was there, including the box/baggies.

The cool thing was is the seller stopped by the Best Buy he bought it at. When he was there he managed to get a duplicate receipt in case I had any problems.

$450 for a used 60GB PS3 w/ HDMI cable, 2 1st party controllers AND the receipt? Sweet.

Got my NIB 60gb w/receipt for $450 off of CL...there's some GREAT deals to be had from there if you have some average negotiation skills and a little common sense. Welcome to the club!

I believe Ebay has far more liars and con-artists than Craigslist as anonymity and distance tend to bring out the worst in most people.

I've bought and sold tons of stuff on Craigslist (including video games, though never a PS3) and I've never had a bad experience. I think the whole "meet in front of a police station" may be overdoing it a bit -- call them up on the phone and if they sound OK you're probably fine just going over to their place to check out the system and see if it's worth buying.

[quote name='dfo']I've bought and sold tons of stuff on Craigslist (including video games, though never a PS3) and I've never had a bad experience. I think the whole "meet in front of a police station" may be overdoing it a bit -- call them up on the phone and if they sound OK you're probably fine just going over to their place to check out the system and see if it's worth buying.[/QUOTE]

Ive always met in front of a Fast food place or a grocery store and have never had a problem for the 30+ times ive used CL. I just completed a deal recently with a CAG actually.

bread's done
Back