Buying Xbox 360 off craigslist... can I tell if it's been opened?

Zytos

CAG Veteran
Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy the 360 for what I think is a pretty sweet deal (Unopened Premium + Gears of War for $350). The seller claims to be selling the premium edition NEW, UNOPENED, and SEALED. This may sound like a dumb question, but, having never seen an Xbox 360 (even at the store, really), is there a way to tell if it's been opened? Does the unit itself come in a sealed bag? Is the box itself sealed in any way?

Thanks.

[quote name='Zytos']Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy the 360 for what I think is a pretty sweet deal (Unopened Premium + Gears of War for $350). The seller claims to be selling the premium edition NEW, UNOPENED, and SEALED. This may sound like a dumb question, but, having never seen an Xbox 360 (even at the store, really), is there a way to tell if it's been opened? Does the unit itself come in a sealed bag? Is the box itself sealed in any way?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

the box should be sealed....

without a pic, or without feedback on the seller - hard to say though

Thanks for the reply. I live close enough to the seller to pick the system up in person, so I'll be sure to take a close look at the box.

I just want to be sure that he didn't put a defective one in there or something.

Thanks again.

There should be circular sticker seals on the outside box and the unit itself (along with all of its included components) should be in sealed bags.

i bought my 360 from someone on craiglist mid May 06'. they played it like 4x. $400 for the premium w/ a extra controller and fight night. still works fine to this day. i did ask for the reciept tho.

if anything ask for the reciept in case anything ever happens to it

[quote name='Zytos']Thanks for the reply. I live close enough to the seller to pick the system up in person, so I'll be sure to take a close look at the box.

I just want to be sure that he didn't put a defective one in there or something.

Thanks again.[/QUOTE]
Be sure to open it up before you pay. Craigslist is the new place to scam.

Yeah, honestly, why not open it up in front of him, and have him hook it up to a tv to make sure it works. If they balk at the idea (I'd say it when you show up), then I wouldn't pay. If it's legitimate, they'll cave pretty quickly and let you hook it up. If they don't, that would send my radar up

The stickers to seal the systems these days are ridiculous. I think both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have the same circular sticker. With a blowdryer, it's almost impossible to tell from the outside if the system has been opened.

[quote name='OGHowie']The stickers to seal the systems these days are ridiculous. I think both the PS3 and Xbox 360 have the same circular sticker. With a blowdryer, it's almost impossible to tell from the outside if the system has been opened.[/QUOTE]
The Wii doesn't even have a sticker seal.

I wouldn't open the system someone was buying from me. Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the buyer unless the money was already in my hands. I'm not going to open something up and then the buyer decides he's not buying it and leaves. Then I'm left with an open item I now have to sell for less money to the next guy. Screw that.

[quote name='SithFran']I wouldn't open the system someone was buying from me. Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the buyer unless the money was already in my hands. I'm not going to open something up and then the buyer decides he's not buying it and leaves. Then I'm left with an open item I now have to sell for less money to the next guy. Screw that.[/QUOTE]
:roll: I'm sorry but that is how the resale market goes. Scam artists are 10x more likley on the sales side then the buyers side at craigslist/ebay.

Why would someone come to just to fuck you over by opening a 360 box? That would be a waste of time and energy.

Bring a pistol with you as well. You never know what could happen.

IIRC the box should be sealed with a round clear sticker.
All the bags inside the box should be green with different languages on them and sealed.

[quote name='SithFran']I wouldn't open the system someone was buying from me. Sorry, but I wouldn't trust the buyer unless the money was already in my hands. I'm not going to open something up and then the buyer decides he's not buying it and leaves. Then I'm left with an open item I now have to sell for less money to the next guy. Screw that.[/QUOTE]

Its not like someone's going to open the box, and all the packages dump everything on the ground then tell you they don't want it.

I don't remember the 360 being sealed with a clear sticker...but it's been a long time since I got my last one. I think someone could theoretically put everything back in with it basically looking new.

The PS3 I had briefly wasn't sealed at all...which, come to think of it, I wonder if it was a defective return or something....

Has a big clear stick sticker, go to a store and look at them. IF you do go to the guys house, say youll buy it just dont want to get ripped (game should probably be closed) Give him 100, promise the rest after an opening and inspection. And is there an update?

[quote name='spoo']:roll: I'm sorry but that is how the resale market goes. Scam artists are 10x more likley on the sales side then the buyers side at craigslist/ebay.

Why would someone come to just to fuck you over by opening a 360 box? That would be a waste of time and energy.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the rolling eyes. There are dicks on both sides of the transaction. I've sold personal DVD's on amazon before. A buyer claimed that I shipped him the DVD with the disc broken in half. When he sends it back to me I see that it wasn't my disc as I had marked it. Well, an A-Z claim gets filed on me and I lose it in Amazon's eyes.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I've had problems buyers before. Most are great people, but there are bad seeds.

[quote name='SithFran']Thanks for the rolling eyes. There are dicks on both sides of the transaction. I've sold personal DVD's on amazon before. A buyer claimed that I shipped him the DVD with the disc broken in half. When he sends it back to me I see that it wasn't my disc as I had marked it. Well, an A-Z claim gets filed on me and I lose it in Amazon's eyes.

Maybe I'm just bitter, but I've had problems buyers before. Most are great people, but there are bad seeds.[/QUOTE]
Understandable, but in this case from Craigslist when you meet the person face to face it is better to open it up and even test it in some cases. I do understand your point about the many, many, many scam artists on both sides, but in this case if the seller won't let you open the 360 before you buy it, then it would raise a black flag for me.

bread's done
Back