By sort of popular demand...the Dumpster Diving Treasures thread...

[quote name='mguiddy']Where was the dumpster? Was it a store or something else?
M&Ms should have dates on them, not that they're suddenly not safe to eat after the date. Still, a store would (should is more accurate... it's technically illegal to sell food after the date and a store can get fined if they get caught doing it) probably throw them out if they weren't sold by the date.
Perhaps they had a rodent/insect problem near where they were stored and threw it out to be safe. Better waste $50 or so of M&Ms than sell a bag full of ants/rat turds to someone and get sued for big bucks. :lol:
Or perhaps they were improperly stored... maybe they accidentally spent a few hours in the sunlight so they threw them out thinking they might be all melted.
Or I could be talking out of my ass.:lol:[/QUOTE]

This was Blockbuster's dumpster right in the back of the store. And we've opened like 15 bags and haven't had a problem yet, so I doubt we will. I'll let you guys know if I happen to get sick though. :p

[quote name='Access_Denied']This was Blockbuster's dumpster right in the back of the store. And we've opened like 15 bags and haven't had a problem yet, so I doubt we will. I'll let you guys know if I happen to get sick though. :p[/QUOTE]

R.I.P.

Access_Denied

"He liked M&Ms"

????-2010

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Holy shit I should start dumpster diving. Free Candy and still in the bags unopened? Hell yeah. Just wouldn't know how to go about it...[/QUOTE]

You can also start white van diving, they have a lot of free candy.

[quote name='georox']You can also start white van diving, they have a lot of free candy.[/QUOTE]
61e40bc691da124eb5db9c5e3b616317.jpg

[quote name='mguiddy']
Perhaps they had a rodent/insect problem near where they were stored and threw it out to be safe. Better waste $50 or so of M&Ms than sell a bag full of ants/rat turds to someone and get sued for big bucks. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Dude, lol at this... hahahaha.

[quote name='Access_Denied']This was Blockbuster's dumpster right in the back of the store. And we've opened like 15 bags and haven't had a problem yet, so I doubt we will. I'll let you guys know if I happen to get sick though. :p[/QUOTE]

The candy probably been sitting at Blockbuster for a long time.Candy probably bad, but it wont kill u. I was wondering, are u homeless or something? Leave some for others.

[quote name='The Punisher']The candy probably been sitting at Blockbuster for a long time.Candy probably bad, but it wont kill u. I was wondering, are u homeless or something? Leave some for others.[/QUOTE]

20 e-dollars says this was the Cure for Cancer M&Ms BBV tried selling a while back and couldn't. I remember my store having 2 boxes full of them in the back room just waiting for the day corporate told us to throw them out.

Hey, I'd like to ask all you dumpster gurus some advice for a novice. I'm stuck in a small town with a Walmart and a Packard's Games & Movies. What's the best approach for someone in my position? Also, does Walmart toss their garbage into a dumpster anymore is do they use trash compactors?

Also, after talking with several employees last night I've found out that Walmart doesn't penny anything or toss them. Anything they cannot sell is shipped back their warehouse for a full refund.

So, I'm shit out of luck on dumpster diving spots in my small town.

[quote name='Tailswisher']Also, after talking with several employees last night I've found out that Walmart doesn't penny anything or toss them. Anything they cannot sell is shipped back their warehouse for a full refund.

So, I'm shit out of luck on dumpster diving spots in my small town.[/QUOTE]

My friend worked at Wal-Mart and they wont even throw away their boxes (the ones items are shipped in), or give them away. They get money for each box recycled.

[quote name='lmz00']In a trash can? Those look like they're in pretty decent shape.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I normally go before the end of the night, before all the gross stuff gets dumped in, but a couple Gamestops around here are far away from the food places, so the bins in the back tend to be pretty clean.

Occasionally I see a hobo or two digging through, but they normally only look for cans and other stuff, lol.

But yeah, in a trash bin, not can ;D

Actually, that just reminded me of a friend I had in high school, who's cousin (or brother, I'm not sure) worked at GameStop and would steal PC games to sell by throwing them out with the trash. He was eventually caught and arrested, but still. This was back in 2002/2003.

[quote name='lmz00']Actually, that just reminded me of a friend I had in high school, who's cousin (or brother, I'm not sure) worked at GameStop and would steal PC games to sell by throwing them out with the trash. He was eventually caught and arrested, but still. This was back in 2002/2003.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like a brilliant plan.

That must happen quite a lot. First job was working at a grocery store (big chain) several years ago, and I remember their loss prevnetion guys would come once a year on random days, put on these full bodysuits and literally jump inside the dumpsters and wade through all the trash looking for food and other items that had been "thrown out" by employees who wanted to go back for them later. I actually remember two people got fired because one guy would have the girl at the deli counter make him a foot long sandwich, wrap it up, and then trash it for later.

Bet other retail stores and department stores have their people go through their trash too, maybe even more often than a simple grocery store, especially if they have expensive items on their shelves.

Wow, I'm tempted to try this now. A friend of mine actually works at the local gamestop, so it shouldn't be a problem if I get seen. Only problem is the grocery store 2 shops down >.>

Saw some empty xbox360 console boxes in the trash today and a Halo box; nothing of value but it was a good sign that this particular Gamestop tosses stuff that doesn't get messed up by the greasy garbage of the pizza place next door. I gotta figure out their cycles!

Well, after checking out the Gamestops in Oak Ridge & Nashville, as well as the Best Buys, I've coem to the conclusion that no one on this forum lives in the East. I mean, every single person I talk to says the same thing; that they return all unsellable products, displays, and other items to the distributor or a warehouse for a full refund.

Also, after talking with several Gamestop employees they have all told me that they destroy and then compact everything they can't send back or sell.

I mean, can someone prove me wrong? I would honestly love to know how to go about finding these garbage gems, but all the evidence I've found is to the contrary...at least, for the Tennessee area.

Interesting reads. I don't really need any of the stuff you guys have found, just DS cases, which I think I can ask for at a gamestop.

Thanks for the laughs. :)

The only thing I ever got that could be considered "dumpster diving" was when I lived at an apartment complex and I saw someone moving out dump their great condition coffee table by the dumpster. I went downstairs and grabbed it because we didn't have one.

Back in college there was a pizza chain, Gumby's, that would put cut out coupons on to the pizza boxes. As it is with most coupons, tons of people would just throw out the boxes coupon intact. We used to head through the dumpsters around the area we lived and would literally get a free pizza almost every night because of it. It took 10 of the coupons for a free pizza. You only needed to find 9 because you would have one from the free pizza the night before. Worked very well Saturday and Sunday mornings. Haven't been in a dumpster since then which was almost 10 years ago.

The Gamestop dumpsters here are marked with "private property" signs which basically means its illegal to pick the dumpsters here. The one Gamestop here is stand alone so it would be a good target but the dumpster is very close to the actual store building meaning they probably have cameras on it. Its not worth getting arrested for dumpster diving which is what can happen here if you dumpster dive on private property.

Picking someone's trash from the alley is perfectly fair game though, and happens almost instantly as soon as someone puts something out. You can put something out here that is complete junk and it will be gone within the hour guaranteed!

I was dumpster diving behind a local used game store, that I normally never shop at because they are so damn pricey, but I figured since I was there, might as well see if they might have something in the back.

At first, I just dug up a few empty cases, and then one case with cover art, as you can see in the picture below.

photo1lh.jpg

I didn't really take a clear look since there were some people walking around, so I just slapped them in my front seat and went home.

When I got home, as I was cleaning each of the boxes, when I got to the Zone of Enders box, I noticed it was pretty damn heavy for an empty box, so I thought, maybe the manual is in there too, which would be sweet.

But once I opened it up, I found this,

photo3sq.jpg

The manual and disc are in almost like new condition.

I can't believe I have finally found something worth while, as oppose to just the general empty cases and what not.

Power to dumpster divers!

P.S.

Success!

photo4xb.jpg

[quote name='SaraAB']The Gamestop dumpsters here are marked with "private property" signs which basically means its illegal to pick the dumpsters here. The one Gamestop here is stand alone so it would be a good target but the dumpster is very close to the actual store building meaning they probably have cameras on it. Its not worth getting arrested for dumpster diving which is what can happen here if you dumpster dive on private property.

Picking someone's trash from the alley is perfectly fair game though, and happens almost instantly as soon as someone puts something out. You can put something out here that is complete junk and it will be gone within the hour guaranteed![/QUOTE]lol i doubt they put cameras on the dumpsters or give enough of a fuck to call the cops.

and yeah same here, i put a broken dryer and a little kid's bike frame beat to shit missing the wheels on the curb yesterday and some van stopped and picked up both of them 10 minutes later.

Went through the dumpster tonight and found so many cases. Many have artwork and manual. Some even with the disc.

I only need the PS2 cases so if anyone needs cover art and manual to a common PS2 game; there aren't any RPG artwork/manuals in the group.

I'm not going to take the hour to list all this shit. So, like I said if you need a common PS2 games artwork and/or manual send me a message. If I have it I will respond back.

They're free of course

I have been doing inspections at a school remodeling job and on the property there is a recycling dumpster. Today I noticed a lot of "trash" in the dumpster. I looked in it and I found a Samsung Blu-Ray player and 5.1 surround sound system. The blu-ray player is in working condition not sure about the speakers though. Luckily I caught it before the coming storm.

bread's done
Back