C64 mini preorders!

Tendoboy

CAGiversary!
I’m sure someone will bitch because I did not dig deep enough to see if somebody else already posted this, but regardless, I’m posting it anyways....kick me off if you want, I am a conservative gamer...(prob get kicked)

It seems like only two stores are doing this right now Walmart and GameStop. I was going to order through GameStop’s website because I’m almost at the point where I can get a five dollars off a used game or such, blah blah blah.....but I noticed if you do in-store pick up they have a notation that you have to buy the extended warranty on it or the protection plan, as they call it, otherwise there will be a five dollar shipping charge?! I just think it’s BS so looks like I’m getting at Walmart, and they are the typical 3 cents cheaper?$#!

C64 mini info
https://thec64.com/

GameStop
https://www.gamestop.com/consoles/c64-mini-retro-gaming-console/166451

Walmart

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Retro-Games-LTD-THEC64-Mini-Computer-Gray-RGL001/228650387

BTW .....LOVE THE C64!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys and your fancy disks...we had the cassette tape storage unit.
Sadly, this is true of my first taste of technology probably back in 77 or so, and it lit a passion for games that I still have to this day. So a HUGE Thank You to those relic dinosaurs of days gone by, as you all had a part to play in the industry we know & love today.

It’s history, never gets out of your system....a lot of great memories! That’s why these things are important, I’ve kept up, and have all the new systems, I enjoy them as well, but in another 20 years they will be retro and you’ll remember playing those ( if your fortunate) ...continuation of the journey....My son recently bought a raspberry pie and put retro gaming stuff on it, we are playing the original NES Castlevania tonight, I never even played through it, he’s only 22, but still greatly appreciates and enjoys it, even though we are making cracks about how different games are now, the intensity (new Smash bros announcement today) vs load times, bad controls, of the past, etc. regardless, if you appreciate these retro machines regardless of your age and are able to buy them, it’s priceless and your enjoying history, thankfully that isn’t in erasure or denial mode.
My friends and I are 30 now, and I brought my retropie to one of our gatherings. So I started up Super Mario World, a game that we'd all beaten back in our childhood. It could've been because we were using the D-Pad and not joysticks, or it could've been lag in the controllers or the HDMI and LED connection, or the emulator we were using, or even just slower reflexes due to age...but we died more than I ever remember dying. I actually had to get lives transferred over to me, on a game that I fully completed when I was 9.

So yeah, times have definitely changed. Games are so much more fluid than they were when we were young. Running into a lot of glitches on good roms, things that would've been patched today. Some of these Genesis games have player sprites that take up 20% of the screen, and a lot of them aren't even fun (looking at you, Eek the Cat). Hell, I can't even understand what's going on in some Amiga games I've tried. Only a few games have survived the test of time.

My friends and I are 30 now, and I brought my retropie to one of our gatherings. So I started up Super Mario World, a game that we'd all beaten back in our childhood. It could've been because we were using the D-Pad and not joysticks, or it could've been lag in the controllers or the HDMI and LED connection, or the emulator we were using, or even just slower reflexes due to age...but we died more than I ever remember dying. I actually had to get lives transferred over to me, on a game that I fully completed when I was 9.
It's input lag mostly but controls as well. I like my retropi setup (especially for Arcade games and obscure computers like the TI99/4A) but it's far from perfect. SNES Classic is where it's at for an experience nearly identical to the original SNES hardware that's also super portable and lightning quick to start and shut off. It's funny because the RetroPi is what got me more interested in the "Classic" systems. I now see the strengths and weaknesses of each option.

Original hardware yo. Everything else is an imitation that falls short.

Except for arcades, because they are large, high maintenance, expensive, and in the case of my beloved Capcom CPS-2 games, designed to fail. I'm actually interested in that Street Fighter Arcade1UP cabinet. If the buttons and sticks are solid, the input lag is minimal  and I can add whatever rom I want, I'll buy one.

edit: Screw that, the cabs are too small.

It's input lag mostly but controls as well. I like my retropi setup (especially for Arcade games and obscure computers like the TI99/4A) but it's far from perfect. SNES Classic is where it's at for an experience nearly identical to the original SNES hardware that's also super portable and lightning quick to start and shut off. It's funny because the RetroPi is what got me more interested in the "Classic" systems. I now see the strengths and weaknesses of each option.
I actually acquired a complete TI99/4A with Hard-drives last Nov, haven’t hooked it up yet...on the list. In-laws parents had the old display unit with the games hanging from it by cables if anyone remembers that....you could pull them down and put them in the system to try the game in like Kmart....

Thanks, I got a kick out of reading that guy's rant. I do think I'm superior for being competent enough to operate Linux and load an open source platform with 30,000 games across dozens of systems, instead of buying proprietary, one system versions of the same thing for roughly the same price and bitching about the game selection.

You forgot the Arcade1Up machines, sport. Nothing like paying $300 for 3/4 games on a MAME machine in a child-sized cabinet!
That’s funny, bought one .... son wants it for college graduation- twisted my arm.....def gonna get hacked !

I actually acquired a complete TI99/4A with Hard-drives last Nov, haven’t hooked it up yet...on the list. In-laws parents had the old display unit with the games hanging from it by cables if anyone remembers that....you could pull them down and put them in the system to try the game in like Kmart....
Yeah, I was around back then and saw some units on display, but none with that particular set up, sounds like a very cool and unique collectible to say the least. I miss those times, as I never knew what crazy new electronic gadgets I was going to see on any given mall trip. Now with the Internet, there's just not much mystery at retail anymore, but back then, it was a favorite pastime. LOL

I loved my C64 back in the day but as we upgraded our computer, the C64 got moved to grandma's house and there it stayed until the early 2000's. I don't remember what they did with it but I do remember my grandpa asking if it could get on the Internet.  

Bruce Lee was my favorite game for the C64.  It looks pretty rough now. 

I loved my C64 back in the day but as we upgraded our computer, the C64 got moved to grandma's house and there it stayed until the early 2000's. I don't remember what they did with it but I do remember my grandpa asking if it could get on the Internet.
Bruce Lee was my favorite game for the C64. It looks pretty rough now.
The OCEAN Rambo game was really good too!

For this who have patience, watch this video of the loading (in old REAL time) and painfully slow intro....hilarious!

At least my version was on floppy, tape is much worse...sound and music were awesome for its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52kcv8OO9o&feature=share

The OCEAN Rambo game was really good too!

For this who have patience, watch this video of the loading (in old REAL time) and painfully slow intro....hilarious!

At least my version was on floppy, tape is much worse...sound and music were awesome for its time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R52kcv8OO9o&feature=share
Rambo was great. I am curious though, did none of you have Fastloader or Action Replay? I realize that they didn't work with certain games because of the copy protection, but if you had games from "other" sources, they worked well and sometimes would even include a fast loader built in.

I didn't have a fastload cartridge however, yes, 95% of my games came with jammin' SID music and a bouncy crawl saying:

"LASER DRAGONS 4.... BROUGHT TO YOU BY DARKSHADOW AND WAREZ-HAUSE!!!! CALL OUTS TO HAWKSOFT GRIM-PEEPER WAREZSLAYER ... LAME OUTS TO DETHSERPENT & BLAKKLIST!!!!..."

Those were the days.

I'd be really interested in this if it's moddable. I had no interest in the others since I collect cartridges for them but if I can mod this thing to have all the games I'm definitely sold.

I'd be really interested in this if it's moddable. I had no interest in the others since I collect cartridges for them but if I can mod this thing to have all the games I'm definitely sold.
The latest firmware update allows you to use your own roms on a USB drive

Saw a few at Gamestop over the weekend for $30, but told myself I don't need another mini-console. That being said may go back and buy one after work.....

Best Buy also lowered this to $29.99 but its sold out for shipping.  Not sure if they even carry it in stores.

What are the good c 64 games?

Serious question..
Legit Answer.

Archon - Chess.. but battle like

Mail Order Monsters - Custom make, battle, get more money, upgrade your monster with various styles of battle abilities that YOU like. This game even in todays standards is great.

Spare Change - Just a fun game overall...

Wizard of Wor - The original pvp backstabbing game...

Donald Ducks Playground - Great game.. even tho its for kids =p

Ghostbusters - Need I say why?

Ducks Ahoy - Die ducks die! That water will kill you!

also was a few great D&D style games too. =)

I gave in at $30. I don’t have experience with the C64 so I’m looking forward to plugging this in.

They are releasing a full sized versions with working keyboard.
The full sized version will be $199 though.

$30 for a mini you can hook a usb keyboard up to vs $199 for one with a working keyboard. I went with the $30 mini. I know deals people, believe me!

What are the good c 64 games?

Serious question..
I won't promise how well it holds up since I haven't played it in decades but Project Firestart was (remembered as) good and is considered one of the originators of the survival horror genre. It was also only released on the Commodore 64 unlike some other games I could mention that were on various platforms.

I loved one called Dragonfly as a kid.... I would've bought just for it.  I used to have a pc version like mame, but sadly it won't work anymore.

bread's done
Back