CA gives $20 million to Jaycee Dugard

The $20 million will come from the state general fund. It was unclear Thursday where it ranks among state payouts on individuals claims.
I was going to ask why insurance wasn't covering this but a policy that includes gross negligence would probably cost more than what they pay out annually.

Does that mean we all can sue when the cops don't succeed at what their supposed to do? It is sad and tragic what happened to the woman but 20 million? why is this on the backs of taxpayers?

well as much as i love to mock my state and their fiscal irresponsibility (insert joke about our budget not passing again and state workers getting minimum wage)... they almost certainly would have had to pay more if this had gone to court.

[quote name='speedracer']I was going to ask why insurance wasn't covering this but a policy that includes gross negligence would probably cost more than what they pay out annually.[/QUOTE]

policies for gross negligence don't exist. Even if they did, in this case it wouldn't make any difference because California is probably self insured for at least the first 20 million.

WOW...just wow. Do you think any dollar amount can take away the pain and suffering this person went thru? There should be some serious charges filed against those people who didn't do their jobs in properly monitoring this fucker who did this to the girl.

Honestly 20 million is way too much for a pay out.... Think how messed up those kids are going to be knowing their father raped their mother and they are the product of that rape?

[quote name='ITDEFX']WOW...just wow. Do you think any dollar amount can take away the pain and suffering this person went thru? There should be some serious charges filed against those people who didn't do their jobs in properly monitoring this fucker who did this to the girl.

Honestly 20 million is way too much for a pay out.... Think how messed up those kids are going to be knowing their father raped their mother and they are the product of that rape?[/QUOTE]

Why don't we make the state pay 20 gizzilion gizzilion gizzilion dollars.

[quote name='camoor']Why don't we make the state pay 20 gizzilion gizzilion gizzilion dollars.[/QUOTE]
Because California has already made up enough numbers.

I going against the trend here but if there is anyone who deserves a 20 Million dollar payout...it would be Jaycee Dugard. What she went through was fucked up beyond the pale.

[quote name='Xevious']I going against the trend here but if there is anyone who deserves a 20 Million dollar payout...it would be Jaycee Dugard. What she went through was fucked up beyond the pale.[/QUOTE]

But wouldnt this open up the door to anyone sueing if the cops dont stop any parolee, or known sex offender from doing anything wrong?

[quote name='Knoell']But wouldnt this open up the door to anyone sueing if the cops dont stop any parolee, or known sex offender from doing anything wrong?[/QUOTE]
Yes. And ideally, the state should pay for their mistakes.

That ideal isn't something we can look forward to, since, well, California.

[quote name='Knoell']But wouldnt this open up the door to anyone sueing if the cops dont stop any parolee, or known sex offender from doing anything wrong?[/QUOTE]

I agree... This just opens up way too many doors for lawsuits... like I said 20 million is too much yet how can you really put a figure on this? These people will have to go seek mental help for years to come...money can't fix that you know.

Was it Senator Packwood that raped her? Or Senator Mike Tyson? Or was it both of them while Micheal Jacksons Lovechild fondled himself?

20 mil when we don't even have money to pay god damn anything.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']well as much as i love to mock my state and their fiscal irresponsibility (insert joke about our budget not passing again and state workers getting minimum wage)... they almost certainly would have had to pay more if this had gone to court.[/QUOTE]

This. I don't think anyone here is contesting that she has a legitimate claim against the state. If this had gone before a jury, she would have gotten anything she was asking for (and she deserves it). So this settlement is going to save them a pretty large sum of money and also face since they're not going to have to go to court and try to defend the gross negligence which was obvious to everyone.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/07/08/BA561EB5CV.DTL

Apparently there is a new report that a Parole agent spoke directly with Jaycee Dugard but completely failed to run a background check.

Yes but how many kidnap victims do you know have been held against their will for 20+ years of their life? This is an extreme case.

bread's done
Back