Cable Modem/Router?

kaos424

CAGiversary!
Feedback
45 (100%)
Hey all,

Three of us are moving into an apartment in a few weeks and we are trying to decide what cable internet service we should get and then what cable modem/router we should pair it up with. Looking for good quality but not too expensive if it can be helped obviously.

Worst case scenario for our internet usage would be two of us gaming online through consoles at the same time while the other was streaming movies or tv through roku. Right now I'm thinking of getting the 20MBPS connection, possibly the 30. I am seeking suggestions on which package is sufficient and what cable modem/router we should get to go with it. Thanks!

I would recommend a good solid cable modem like a Motorola SB6141, which will give you whatever speeds your ISP can throw at it.

For a router, I've had an ASUS RT-N66U and have thrown everything I can at it without it blinking or causing issues with numerous connections.

Thanks for the heads up guys. We ended up deciding we are going to go with whatever modem/router TWC provides us with. They claim to provide one that is sufficient for your internet package so hopefully it will be good. Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to try to connect the PS4 wireless or if I'm going to run cable all over the apartment to get a wired connection.

Thanks for the heads up guys. We ended up deciding we are going to go with whatever modem/router TWC provides us with. They claim to provide one that is sufficient for your internet package so hopefully it will be good. Now I just need to figure out if I'm going to try to connect the PS4 wireless or if I'm going to run cable all over the apartment to get a wired connection.
Just remember you have to pay like $6 a month to rent that modem from TWC.

I also have internet though Brighthouse networks (child company of Time Warner Cable) and the built in router choked every time I would try to do more than light web browsing or mobile youtube. you may want to get that SB6140 modem and your own router instead. also that $6 lease forever is ridiculous, you will be able to afford a tier 1 router and a tier 1 modem over the cost you will pay for two years of rentals

Just signing up for Time Warner myself for first time. I opted to buy a modem vs renting as I felt it would be a waste otherwise. I went with the Motorola sb6141 that others here have mentioned. It's relatively well future proofed. Amazon has it for 81$ and best buy price matched it (I needed it quick).

Charter's not a bad one to look into. May be a bit expensive, but their speed  is quite nice I'd say. I don't think it really matters that much about routers, you should be able to get cheap ones that work great. 

bread's done
Back