CAG 3.0 Upgrade - News, Updates And Progress - Dark Theme, Feedback are Live - EVERYTHING is Coming Back Soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) How do I search within a thread?

2) How do I remove signatures and avatars in full mode (clean text only)?

3) How do I go to last post in phone mode?

First of all, loving the sleekness and potential for new features.

Bugs / comments:

1. Something is up with the font.  Unless I zoom my browser (using Chrome on Win 7) up a few times, the font seems small and choppy... as in I don't see all of the letter.
    2rrnpg9.png
  3. Really miss the "poke this thing to get to the last post" in mobile.  Can that come back?
  4. Mobile page loading takes muuuuuuuch longer.  75% of my browsing of these forums is from mobile, even though only 10-25% of my posting is from mobile.
  5. Edit: New problem: I entered this list a a numbered list from the text editor, but it is not showing up as a numbered list as of the initial post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheapy will you be bringing back the settings to not display avatars and graphics in posts? I found the setting to block signatures, but this site is more "work friendly" if all graphics can be blocked like before. WalkinPneumonia's avatar is a good example of the need for these settings.
I'm sorry. I'll change it. :(
Well.... now I want to know what the avatar was!

Cheapy - Will Tapatalk still be supported? Please say yes.

I am SO GLAD I found this thread

Yesterday, I was worried about this being the final product.

I knew TiredJohn had been working hard on this and was originally quite disappointed by the result.

But, now know that this is not the final, I am looking VERY FORWARD to the upcoming improvements!

Thank you, CheapyD!

ALL HAIL KING CAG!!!

Uhm, I see BF3 meme here just opposite "black to white" :D . Certainly changes are goods but not at all. I think the homepage is like a mess, my eyes hurt finding what is which, the text font feels "slimmer", somehow all the PMs I deleted, are now back ??? Say If I want to check sent PMs, I gotta scroll all the way down to do that ?
BF3 meme?

I just wanted to let you know that not everyone hates the changes. I understand that this is a "work in progress" and can appreciate how big of a undertaking this is. Though I am experiencing issues and unable to find some features using both the desktop and mobile sites, I am going to hold off for a few days while things are worked on.

Keep up the good work!

Also,

1. I'd still like quote boxes around people's quotes.

2. A quick link up at the top directly to the deals forums.

3. Short cut keys. really. I keep hitting Alt-S to submit my post.
You don't see quote boxes like this?
This is how I'm seeing quotes using the current version of Chrome on OS X 10.8.3.

Is there a limit to the amount of Youtube videos that can be embedded in one post? My post here has four videos that would've shown normally on old CAG, but now two of them are just links like there's a limit in place.

I've been testing some other things in regards to Youtube embedding and from this post, I can see that spoilering the URL lets it still embed while trying to use the Custom URL Text thing (where you'd be able to have the video title listed right above the embedded video) that worked on the old CAG breaks it. Using custom spoilers seems to work the same way, though they seem to be broken because I cannot close them with Chrome.

I'd also like to ask if there's a way to get rid of that box that appears below spoilers even when it's closed/hidden.

Honestly, I wish CAG would just go back to the way it was. I really hate this new look. I don't understand why they felt the need to change the site so much. 

I really don't think this was a good idea, the new site sucks.

I have the same issue. I'm running Opera 12.15 on Windows 7 (64 bit). I can see the quote boxes, but they're so light that they don't stand out. It almost looks like a 1 pixel light grey line, which simply blends in with the white background. Most of the lines on the site are like that for me, making it difficult to see them. The inside of the quote boxes also aren't colored grey like they are in the screenshot.
That's actually exactly what it is -- 1px of #EFEFEF.
All those years of messing around with web design finally come in handy! :)

The top header of the quote box is colored gray. "User on 06 Jun 2013 said". but the quoted text is inside a white box, and unless you squint or turn your head a certain way is invisible.

Also 3 signature boxes (especially animated ones) are far too much. I even deleted my goozex sig since I haven't used the site in over 6 months. 

I watched the video Cheapy posted .. and it made me feel bad for being an ass yesterday .. so I have faith that the changes will come through for the better in time.

Cheapy - you should post that video at the start of this thread, gives people a good overview and reasoning for the change

The top header of the quote box is colored gray. "User on 06 Jun 2013 said". but the quoted text is inside a white box, and unless you squint or turn your head a certain way is invisible.

Also 3 signature boxes (especially animated ones) are far too much. I even deleted my goozex sig since I haven't used the site in over 6 months.
Yeah, the quote boxes need to be fixed. The only time they have high visibility is when you hit "quote" and are replying to the post. They show up great in the reply box, but once they're posted, they're nearly invisible.

So, I can't edit my already fucked up tradelist because there's too many emoticons. I only have like 10... that's too many?

Wait, do the system icons count as emoticons too?

I am not a fan of the new layout at all, I liked the front page with all the new stuff right there instead of me having to search for. Also where is the TIV list?????

Needs better seperation look between threads and colors meh. I miss cag 2.0 i know you did alot of work into this but 80% of it turned me off. I do not come on like i did and slowly using it less. Thanks for trying and hope you fix it so most will dig it. gl

Thank you for adding the times for the most recent post!  The site looks better and better every time I see it!  Keep it up guys!

Cheapy will you be bringing back the settings to not display avatars and graphics in posts? I found the setting to block signatures, but this site is more "work friendly" if all graphics can be blocked like before. WalkinPneumonia's avatar is a good example of the need for these settings.

How did you turn off signatures?

I also would like the ability to turn off all graphics.

So, it seems my "personal messenger" box is full, as it's showing 100%. The weird thing is, messages that I deleted before the upgrade are back again (but show as "deleted"). Even new messages I've tried deleting will show as "deleted" but seem to still count toward my capacity.

Also, I noticed that signatures can only include one image now? Obviously, that's really going to limit what I've got going on. But it seems kind of sucky that people can't even have a couple gamercards in their signature (ie. XBL card, Steam card, etc). I get that there's still a lot to be updated, and I can appreciate what a huge undertaking this is. I just hope we're not getting "Microsofted" here...where a bunch of features are being added that nobody even asked for. Meanwhile, legitimate features that people used and liked are being gimped.

So far, I'm not liking things so far.  But, I'll hold off full judgement until everything is ported over and a proper homepage in place.  Excited to see what's to come.

To turn off signatures, in the top right corner I believe of someone's signature, select the option to ignore all signatures. Just go to any forum and do it there.

To turn off signatures, in the top right corner I believe of someone's signature, select the option to ignore all signatures. Just go to any forum and do it there.
What a convoluted means of doing that.... someone should edit the OP with a FAQ for answers like this one. Thanks again!!

I dig the header of the new site! Much like everyone else said, we need a dark theme.

A few questions:

• Will there be a homepage again? I kinda miss that.
  • When I click on "games" in the header, it takes me to this thread. I assume this needs to be fixed.
  • How long will it take for the blogs etc to be brought over?
Other than that, I like it!

I dig the header of the new site! Much like everyone else said, we need a dark theme.

A few questions:

• Will there be a homepage again? I kinda miss that.
  • When I click on "games" in the header, it takes me to this thread. I assume this needs to be fixed.
  • How long will it take for the blogs etc to be brought over?
Other than that, I like it!
Homepage as well as EVERY other part of old CAG will be brought over shortly, new and improved. Games will eventually not take you to this thread.

So, it seems my "personal messenger" box is full, as it's showing 100%. The weird thing is, messages that I deleted before the upgrade are back again (but show as "deleted"). Even new messages I've tried deleting will show as "deleted" but seem to still count toward my capacity.

Also, I noticed that signatures can only include one image now? Obviously, that's really going to limit what I've got going on. But it seems kind of sucky that people can't even have a couple gamercards in their signature (ie. XBL card, Steam card, etc). I get that there's still a lot to be updated, and I can appreciate what a huge undertaking this is. I just hope we're not getting "Microsofted" here...where a bunch of features are being added that nobody even asked for. Meanwhile, legitimate features that people used and liked are being gimped.
Yeah, I went to edit my signature with a smaller XBL gamercard to get all on one row, and found out that there was a 1 image max, so it won't let me add the smaller gamercard. So I guess I'll just stick with what I have now. Seems like most of us who have multiple images have been grandfathered in, but I guess that benefit could end at some point. But I wouldn't mind the image limit being bumped up to 2, but that's just a personal greedy request rather than something that would benefit all of CAG.

Yeah, I went to edit my signature with a smaller XBL gamercard to get all on one row, and found out that there was a 1 image max, so it won't let me add the smaller gamercard. So I guess I'll just stick with what I have now. Seems like most of us who have multiple images have been grandfathered in, but I guess that benefit could end at some point. But I wouldn't mind the image limit being bumped up to 2, but that's just a personal greedy request rather than something that would benefit all of CAG.
True. It wouldn't necessarily "benefit all of CAG". But at the same time, I think removing the sense of personalization is a mistake. Let's be honest, there's hardly ever a reason to look at somebody's profile. I never do it. Hell, I barely ever look at my own. Signatures and avatars are the most common way to give your CAG presence a little personality. And on a site dedicated to gaming, where the majority of members have multiple systems, it seems silly to not be able to display statistics for those systems. I really hope this is just a temporary limitation until the full site is up.

Also, I don't like that when I quote your post, it also quotes mine before it. If the goal is streamlining and making things more efficient, this doesn't seem like a good way too accomplish it. Just makes everything more jumbled and cluttered. If I wanted both posts quoted, why wouldn't I just click "multi-quote"?

I think people should give Cheapy and John a week or so to get all of the issues, big and small, worked out as best as they can.

Obvioiusly, the dark theme seems to be pretty high on peoples' list, as is the private forums, trade feedback and other items metioned in this thread, plus more to come.

I know they're both working as hard as they can to get things back the way they were before the migration, though the change to the new forum software was well overdue.  We were more than a little beyond the needs of the old software and once things get worked out, they'll be much better.

With the :gc: :ps3: :br: et cetera tags being considered emoticons I was unable to update my trade list  because I am exceeding the limits set by this forum (however it does not give me a number by which I am to abide.)

Love the site so far. Keep up the good work guys! I know that it is no easy task to move from 1 forum software to another.

One suggestion if I may. You should take the backed up snapshot of CAG 2.0 leave it in read-only mode and drop it down on a subdomain such as oldsite.cheapassgamer.com

That would allow users access to all their data that has yet to be converted.

I think people should give Cheapy and John a week or so to get all of the issues, big and small, worked out as best as they can.

Obvioiusly, the dark theme seems to be pretty high on peoples' list, as is the private forums, trade feedback and other items metioned in this thread, plus more to come.

I know they're both working as hard as they can to get things back the way they were before the migration, though the change to the new forum software was well overdue. We were more than a little beyond the needs of the old software and once things get worked out, they'll be much better.
Definitely agree with this. Just trying to discern what is an "issue" and what is a design of the new forum software. I wasted about 20 minutes this morning trying to figure out how to post a Youtube video in playable form, lol. Just posting the link doesn't seem to work like it used to.

I hope they fast track adding in more themes, because I find that I don't even like to go to CAG now. I'm reading it far less than I did prior to CAG 3.0. I'd like to say it wouldn't effect me that way, but it does. It's awful.

I hope they fast track adding in more themes, because I find that I don't even like to go to CAG now. I'm reading it far less than I did prior to CAG 3.0. I'd like to say it wouldn't effect me that way, but it does. It's awful.
+1 - I know the upgrade is still being reworked, so I'll wait to reserve complete judgement, but so far, I have been spending a lot less time here. I guess it's a subconscious thing but my mouse just skips over CAG in my favorites as I browse my normal sites.

Tapatalk support is back, but because the location of the forums has changed we have to wait for the URL to update in their directory. Should be about an hour, apparently.

Well I was having an issue seeing anything beyond the first page of threads, but it's fixed now.

Tapatalk support is back, but because the location of the forums has changed we have to wait for the URL to update in their directory. Should be about an hour, apparently.
Good to see Tapatalk back.

If you've been having font issues, clear your cache, refresh, and let me know if the problem is better, worse, or the same as before. 

John is there supposed to be an advanced search option next to the search bar? I'm not seeing it. Not sure how to search a specific thread or if the option just isn't up yet.

If you've been having font issues, clear your cache, refresh, and let me know if the problem is better, worse, or the same as before.
On Chrome, where I've been having the problems, the font looks much cleaner at the moment. It feels like it goes in and out, so I'll keep an eye on it and report back if it changes again, but the font looks way better now.

John is there supposed to be an advanced search option next to the search bar? I'm not seeing it. Not sure how to search a specific thread or if the option just isn't up yet.
Search is hooked into the game database pretty tightly, so it's disabled until that part of the site is up. In-thread searching works though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back