CAG Amateur Developer's Thread

I wasn't able to do exactly what you were suggesting, but I was able to do a little more complicated variation with your help. I didn't see any enemies in the dropdown menu when I went to "Conditional Branch > 3 > Enemy ..... is > State 001: Death Inflicted" then disable encounters, which is what I think you were suggesting. However I was able to make 2 events. One that said if head is in inventory then disable encounters and one that said if staff (quest reward) is in inventory then disable encounters.
I should have been clearer, I guess I assumed that when you defeated the Rabbit Boss, you were setting some kind of "RabbitBossDefeated" switch ON, in which case you would just be looking for whether this switch was on or not to determine whether the boss had been defeated. The whole "Enemy State" thing is used within a battle. But yes, you can do an "Item Obtained" condition as well, just make sure to set the item so that you can never drop or sell it.

Anybody elses' games have a large file size? Almost up to 500mb without RTP. With RTP it is even bigger. Would deleting all the crap in the database that I'm not using lower the size? The last version took forever to upload (little over 500mb). The next release will have at least 3x more content and I'm not looking forward to that upload. Are there any tricks to making it smaller?

I think the file size is also making the game take a long time to save. 30-60 seconds every time I save, which can be annoying when testing a new feature because the game needs to save every time you test a change.
That's really odd. Are you using a lot of different audio files? Those can add up. Otherwise you're using a lot of high quality art resources. My game is probably smaller than yours, but I have three massive maps (with loads of events), custom audio tracks, my own extended sprite sheets, custom character portraits, etc and my game is still only 50MB (without RTP).

Export your game like you're gonna give it to someone to play, then dig through the folders and see what folders and files are so large. Something is up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, the audio is taking up a ton of space. The problem was that I didn't know importing stuff was only importing it for one project. So I was importing all my DLCs and workshop content expecting them to be easily available when I start working on another project. There are a ton of unnecessary files that I need to delete.

Now comes the "fun" part of carefully removing files without breaking anything.

EDIT: Just removing the unnecessary music has helped a ton. Down from over 500mb to 136mb.

New screenshot:

ZJfiept.png

Once you know how to do terrain in Unity, it is stupid easy. Yeah, it looks like crap right now, but it also looks like crap right now!

Hey I just had a thought. What if I made a walking simulator and just called it Walking Simulator? Or Walking Simulator 2015?

It wasn't, but...

They might have made a walking simulator, but for some reason they didn't call it Walking Simulator, which means the name is still open.
This one is even tagged walking simulator and everyone probably even owns it. Maybe try Sitting Simulator (not to be confused with Shitting Simulator).

This one is even tagged walking simulator and everyone probably even owns it. Maybe try Sitting Simulator (not to be confused with Shitting Simulator).
That's "manic depression simulator".
I don't need a simulator for that.
My next game is Dear Escher, where you walk through impossible 3D environments while some lady says depressing things to you in Dutch. At the end:
when you try to kill yourself, your perspective changes, and the cliff becomes the ground.

My next game is Dear Escher, where you walk through impossible 3D environments while some lady says depressing things to you in Dutch. At the end:
when you try to kill yourself, your perspective changes, and the cliff becomes the ground.
Considering the humorous tone this thread contains, I don't know if you are joking around or being serious but that idea sounds really good. That ending, I think, would be in a lot of people's "Dang good ending" list.

This seriously sounds like the bullshit that if you actually made it so many reviewers would be like "OMGZ see video games are totally art GOTY FOREVER"

Considering the humorous tone this thread contains, I don't know if you are joking around or being serious but that idea sounds really good. That ending, I think, would be in a lot of people's "Dang good ending" list.
I am actually pretty serious about that one, and Ding Dong Jump Jump, even though Ding Dong Jump Jump is just a silly name I gave to the game I am working on while I think of a better name. I've put a few dozen hours into scripting and 3d modeling and animation this week, and I am going to enter the Indie Game Maker Contest.

This seriously sounds like the bullshit that if you actually made it so many reviewers would be like "OMGZ see video games are totally art GOTY FOREVER"
Awww, thanks! :trainbowbarf:

I'm attempting to. Whether I succeed or not before June 30th (my birthday!) will be a close call, though. Too much going on this month what with the lease to my apartment running out at the end of the month.

How is the game going, Fox?

Anyone else making a game? Or thinking about it?
Haven't even started, though I did start looking at the guide to make my first game. Between work, playfire rewards, and nature I haven't had as much gaming time as I wish I did.

I'm attempting to. Whether I succeed or not before June 30th (my birthday!) will be a close call, though. Too much going on this month what with the lease to my apartment running out at the end of the month.
Moving is bitch. I hate it. Good luck with that.

Bad timing! :(

Haven't even started, though I did start looking at the guide to make my first game. Between work, playfire rewards, and nature I haven't had as much gaming time as I wish I did.
Looking at the guide is a good start. I tried to just jump in with RPG Maker and got precisely nowhere.

Thinking about it. I really need to get back to working on my current project.

Here's a probably horribly buggy demo release of it that I pulled out ages ago: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iblaa4bch6bd0mu/Firing%20Range.exe
I like it!

I like it!
Gave it a try? There's probably only about 30 minutes of gameplay there, and that's if you aren't blowing through it (there's a fair bit of talking, so that takes up some time). I can't remember if I put in a "the demo ends here" screen at some point or not. The last I finished was going into the wilds with Kira (there's one of three scripted battles up in the top right corner of the map, but I haven't done the other two and the rest of that place).

I just noticed RPG Maker doesn't come with any black people. Can anybody recommend some good black children sprites and faces?

EDIT: Nvm I just found the random generator.

I recently downloaded the Unity Game Engine to dabble lightly in game development. I've been following tutorials that are using Javascript but I've seen comments on sites saying C# is better and should be used over Javascript. I've also read that it's smart to learn more than one language, or start with Javascript and move on to C# or skip Javascript all together. 

I'm sure I'll get similar comments here but I just have to ask. Any suggestions on which programming language should be used for a beginner like me?

I recently downloaded the Unity Game Engine to dabble lightly in game development. I've been following tutorials that are using Javascript but I've seen comments on sites saying C# is better and should be used over Javascript. I've also read that it's smart to learn more than one language, or start with Javascript and move on to C# or skip Javascript all together.

I'm sure I'll get similar comments here but I just have to ask. Any suggestions on which programming language should be used for a beginner like me?
Don't get too hung up on the language. Whenever you want to do something in Unity, look up a tutorial and use whichever language they use. The only language I knew at all a few weeks ago was Python (Boo, basically), but the game I am making now is mostly Javascript and C#.

The majority of the tutorials I have seen use Javascript, but to change some of the stuff that comes with Unity, you might need to add/change some C#.

But they are all pretty similar, and just trying to follow the tutorials until you start to know more is probably the best way to learn.

You are Aline Kilmer, and you are dead.

You find yourself in an open grave surrounded by trees. As you walk along the path, you are reminded of some of your husband's poems. Your husband, the poet Joyce Kilmer, was killed by a sniper in World War I.

Is he here? Has he been waiting for you all these years?

Rouge Bouquet is half exploration game and half book of poetry. You can follow the path and read a selection of poems before completing the game, or you can wander among the trees and hills looking for a shortcut -- or secret achievements.

• Part game, part book of poetry
  • Enjoy the scenery or follow the path
  • Secret achievements for exploring some out of the way places
  • Available on Windows, Mac, and Linux!

I think you should market it as the sequel to The Graveyard.

You are Aline Kilmer, and you are dead.

You find yourself in an open grave surrounded by trees. As you walk along the path, you are reminded of some of your husband's poems. Your husband, the poet Joyce Kilmer, was killed by a sniper in World War I.

Is he here? Has he been waiting for you all these years?

Rouge Bouquet is half exploration game and half book of poetry. You can follow the path and read a selection of poems before completing the game, or you can wander among the trees and hills looking for a shortcut -- or secret achievements.

• Part game, part book of poetry
  • Enjoy the scenery or follow the path
  • Secret achievements for exploring some out of the way places
  • Available on Windows, Mac, and Linux!

I think you should market it as the sequel to The Graveyard.
Old Lady Death Simulator 2014.

Looks good. The more I see things like that game, the more I know mine wouldn't have had a chance if I had made it in. Makes me feel a little bit better for missing the deadline. A little.

I worked on mine every waking moment of this last week. My girlfriend just got home from a two week trip on Wednesday night, we had plans to meet to celebrate our birthdays (her's the 24th, mine the 30th) but when I told her about the contest, she knew how important it was, so she postponed everything until the contest was over so I could have the time I needed to work on my game. I cracked down over the last three days, started cutting planned content that I knew I wouldn't have time for, worked, worked, worked and then finally finished it with three minutes to spare.

I go to the site, create an account, click to add a submission, fill out the information and then scroll down to the bottom where I expect to see a button to upload our game, and instead I see "Provide a link where we can download your game." I'm like, "What the Hell?!" My ISP took away my personal webspace earlier this year, I've never had a filehost account because whenever I needed to send someone a file, I'd just send it directly to them... I start trying to figure out what to do and then next thing I see is "Submissions Closed."

Sucks bad. What a birthday.

If any of you use Unity, I recently posted a new editor extension to the Unity Asset Store.

Cheshire Lip-Sync plug-in

It's just a little tool for getting some basic lip-sync animations into Unity. (shameless plug)

Right now I'm working on programming some basic network server detection in Unity. You have to use Sockets to get this done on a LAN, as opposed to a full-on internet game.

bread's done
Back