CAG Arcade Stick Thread II: World Warrior

[quote name='hpbbes']I played last night for a bit with the new setup. I love it. Definitely worth the $12 + shipping. I had no issues with hitting diagonals unlike the stock stick and the increased stiffness is great. I actually played with SF TE afterward and noted how comparatively loose it was.[/QUOTE]

nice that makes me feel better. I just ordered my IL buttons and stick today. Man i just wish i had some skill with soldering irons and some knowledge with PCB boards. the translucent buttons are yearning for LEDS.

[quote name='MarkMan']Hi guys,

arthong at Tek-Innovations just put up a new item on his site for the Combat FightStick: Ultimate Edition top panel for TE FightSticks. Check out the links:

So if you guys are looking to get a panel now and want to customize it further. Jump in.[/QUOTE]

That man is just really amazing! When i get a TE, im def ordering an art temlplate pronto from him.

so took apart the MK TE in lieu of getting the parts. My first time ever disassembling happ parts and getting that washer off the joystick was a bitch. other than that....it was an easy go around.

Through SRK, Ktownbrawlers.com just posted up modding pics of the TE and they are suspicious that the supposed Suzo Happ are not even SUZO Happ. man the stories of the decline in quality are true but this is just getting ridiculous now.

It's really high time I got a single-player stick. I love my custom 2-player baby, but that thing is a pain in the ass to haul around to events.

I kinda want to go for a dual-mod 360/PS3, so what options do I have for that? Arcade In A Box? I assume a company like Madcatz doesn't sell anything like that in an official capacity. A summary of my priorities:

- dual mod
- american style stick
- either an MK layout, 8-button T.E. layout, or a 6+1 button hybrid (capcom layout + MK's run button)

[quote name='BustaUppa']It's really high time I got a single-player stick. I love my custom 2-player baby, but that thing is a pain in the ass to haul around to events.

I kinda want to go for a dual-mod 360/PS3, so what options do I have for that? Arcade In A Box? I assume a company like Madcatz doesn't sell anything like that in an official capacity. A summary of my priorities:

- dual mod
- american style stick
- either an MK layout, 8-button T.E. layout, or a 6+1 button hybrid (capcom layout + MK's run button)[/QUOTE]
I think AIAB is going to be the only pre-built/retail solution if you want to go with an american style stick. I'm not sure if they offer the MK hybrid layout though.

You might have to go the DIY route. If you're looking for a pretty easy board for dual-modding, I'd check this one out. Slagcoin is probably your best bet for layouts, etc. that way.

[quote name='MtlTom']I think AIAB is going to be the only pre-built/retail solution if you want to go with an american style stick. I'm not sure if they offer the MK hybrid layout though.

You might have to go the DIY route. If you're looking for a pretty easy board for dual-modding, I'd check this one out. Slagcoin is probably your best bet for layouts, etc. that way.[/QUOTE]Contacted AIAB and the guy's cool with doing a hybrid layout! USA controls, dual-mod, slim unit... bit of a splurge but man o man this is gonna be my dream stick :D

Sad to see this thread go unupdated for a week so I thought of a question.

If I'm trying to mess with some arcade emulators on my computer, is there any reason to pick a Hori PS3 stick over a Hori 360 stick? Both are wired, I can't foresee any issues.

[quote name='Halo05']If I'm trying to mess with some arcade emulators on my computer, is there any reason to pick a Hori PS3 stick over a Hori 360 stick? Both are wired, I can't foresee any issues.[/QUOTE]Depends if the emulator you are gonna use will accept POV as buttons inputs for 2 of the buttons on the Hori 360 stick.

I come with random joystick pictures that I own!
This was a Hori Tekken 5 PS2 stick. I photoshopped and changed the faceplate, change the parts to all sanwa and threw on Art's Plexiglass on it. My primary stick and what I usually bring to me. Currently has the original PS2 PCB, I'm going to dual mod it once I can figure out a solution for lacking an additional button for Home/Guide.

joystick1.jpg

We got the plexicase kit that Art had and made this out of it. It's fitted with a Sanwa stick and seimitsu buttons. It has a ChIMP with a padhacked Madcatz Fight Pad. Unfortunately, my friend dropped the joystick and cracked a few spots. This was before it happened.

joystick2.jpg

beautiful stick man. I wish had more expertise in this to work with a pcb board or using CHImp boards. Love the artwork on it!

was it hard modding the ps2 tekken 5 stick? i have one too but i havent opened it yet.....but i heard they are a bitch to mod..

[quote name='integralsmatic']
was it hard modding the ps2 tekken 5 stick? i have one too but i havent opened it yet.....but i heard they are a bitch to mod..[/QUOTE]

You definitely heard right. First of all, the stock hori buttons are soldered onto the PCB so that will require some desoldering. Second, you would have to solder on wires from the PCB like you would by pad hacking. Thankfully it's all common ground. Finally, there are these metal tabs in the button sockets that need to be filed down in order to fit sanwa/seimitsu buttons. At the time, I was stupid and didn't know what a dremel tool was so I ended up using this huge file and I just filed it down. Took me about 3 hours of straight filing... I don't suggest doing the same lol.

Do yourself a favor though, I know Art from Tek-Innovations sells top loading screws for about 10 dollars or so. Get them as it will make opening the stick much more easier for access.

I'm so bummed because I saw one of those T5 Hori sticks on Craigslist over the weekend for like $25. I was really only interested in the case and was probably going to do a full mod with a PS360 PCB. Unfortunately it sold by the time I sent and e-mail :cry:.

I'm even more bummed that it sold right away and I haven't got one response on the Hori SCII stick I have.

So I acquired a Fightstick SE case from a friend. He's using the main PCB in a custom stick but did leave the start/back button PCB and the guide/turbo PCB. A few questions I have...

- If I do keep the guide/turbo area, is there a way to solder onto that board so I can utilize the buttons on it or am I better off installing a 24mm button on the back of the stick?

- I'm going to lamilabel artwork onto it but I don't know if I'm going to keep the guide & last 2 buttons (PPP & KKK). Is the card stock used thick enough that I don't have to worry about poking holes through those areas if I leave them blank?

- If that isn't thick enough, is there something that is recommended to fill in those areas? I'd prefer not to use Sanwa button covers since they would leave bumps in the artwork.

I haven't quite decided what I'm going to use for electronics yet. I might wait for the new PS360+ from Akishop/Focusattack.com or use a PS2 pad & buy PS2->PS3 & PS2->X360 converters through etokki.com.

Going to have to steal one Asian.

Tom the lamilabel is thick but not all that thick and you can rip it. If you don't want to use button plugs what I have seen some people do is cut out plexi and hot glue it in for a smooth fit. Seems to work pretty well. Also I would not recommend using that many converters, it will only cause button delay. Can't help with the board question, PM Bomber or Akuma though, they both have messed with the SE.

[quote name='LostRoad']Going to have to steal one Asian.

Tom the lamilabel is thick but not all that thick and you can rip it. If you don't want to use button plugs what I have seen some people do is cut out plexi and hot glue it in for a smooth fit. Seems to work pretty well. Also I would not recommend using that many converters, it will only cause button delay. Can't help with the board question, PM Bomber or Akuma though, they both have messed with the SE.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the tip about the plexi. That seems like it might be the best option.

I wouldn't be using the converters all at once. Basically the way it would boil down would be:

SFAC Nubytech Pad (main PCB, PS2 compatibility) - link here.
Xtokki PS2 -> X360 converter (X360 compatibility, with headset & guide support) - link here.
iNPiN PS2 -> PS3 converter (PS3 compatibility) - link here.

I just figured if I'm going to go through the trouble of wiring up a stick, I may as well make it compatible with both main systems. Going this route would add PS2 support as well. I know the iNPiN works really well, & I've heard great things about the previous version of the Xtokki that required a wired controller to be plugged in.

I'm not going to get started on this yet, so I might end up waiting for the PS360+.

[quote name='LostRoad']Going to have to steal one Asian.
[/QUOTE]

How annoying?

More annoying that you can replace everything on the Madcatz TE, except for that? Thumbs down!

Regarding the Storage Door, I actually got a response from a rep today.

Asking me what color I wanted and that he would have it in the mail for me.

Hope this turns out well, not having that door is a little annoying :)

[quote name='asianxcore']Regarding the Storage Door, I actually got a response from a rep today.

Asking me what color I wanted and that he would have it in the mail for me.

Hope this turns out well, not having that door is a little annoying :)[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. I have a friend with a broken one & I'll have to pass this along to him.

[quote name='MarkMan']we da best[/QUOTE]

Gotta agree. I had an X360 Fightpad that went dead (no power) after over a year. I contacted Madcatz, they shipped me a new one - unfortunately for PS3. When I contacted them again telling them I was replacing a X360 pad, not a PS3 - they apologized and sent an X360 pad & told me to keep the PS3 one.

Months ago, I PMed Markman twice about a replacement PCB for a PS3 TE (went bad shortly after getting it through gameshark.com, JUST after the 3 month warranty), and no response. I had tried calling them many, many times after getting through once and being told I would have a replacement in the mail, and was put on hold for hours. I've since given up, I hope my brother was able to find a fix for his stick elsewhere.

Honestly, my personal experience with MadCatz CS is a full on negative...

[my brother owns 2 TEs (one broken) and a HRAP3, I own a TE, SE, and a HRAP3, so it's not like I'm anti-MadCatz, but I just don't care for the CS]

[quote name='AkariK']Months ago, I PMed Markman twice about a replacement PCB for a PS3 TE (went bad shortly after getting it through gameshark.com, JUST after the 3 month warranty), and no response. I had tried calling them many, many times after getting through once and being told I would have a replacement in the mail, and was put on hold for hours. I've since given up, I hope my brother was able to find a fix for his stick elsewhere.

Honestly, my personal experience with MadCatz CS is a full on negative...

[my brother owns 2 TEs (one broken) and a HRAP3, I own a TE, SE, and a HRAP3, so it's not like I'm anti-MadCatz, but I just don't care for the CS][/QUOTE]

Did you try and email them? That's what I did. Took about a week to get a response, but I got my Storage Door in the mail not too long ago.

Also not to defend MarkMan, but I wouldn't think he checks this site too often. Also the guy is constantly traveling here and there.

[quote name='MtlTom']That's awesome. I have a friend with a broken one & I'll have to pass this along to him.
[/QUOTE]

I waited a week after I sent the email to get that response, but I got my replacement Storage Door earlier last week.

Pretty much trying not to open/close it a bunch before EVO :)

Stick artwork is done, buttons are installed. I used 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber vinyl for the control panel. Looks really good, I might do the same on one of my TEs. Now all I need is a PCB and I'll be good to go!

stick-0005.jpg

stick-0006.jpg

Thanks. I thought the black on green came out really nice. The bubble top looks super nice in person.

I have some of the carbon decal left over. I was thinking about replacing the stock art on one of my TEs with it. Since it's more of a matte surface, it might feel a little more comfortable for longer sessions. Plus it won't show tons of fingerprints.

I like that stick a lot. I am still trying to put together a pac man design for my stick and I was thinking of doing something like what you have done here (a simple design with no character branding) for another stick I have lying around. Good work.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with an idea I had. Is there any way to make the bottom of a Madcatz SE easier to access? I have a 4/8 way joystick and I'd like to be able to adjust it without having to unscrew every screw. Has anyone tried to make the bottom panel easy to get off?

Got my Madcatz Stick Messenger Bag today. A little disappointed.

The material is thin and feels kind of cheap for the $33 I paid for the bag. Also the strap isn't padded and also doesn't feel as sturdy as Messenger Bags that are used for Universal use.

Probably going to see if I can buy a Messenger Bag Strap pad to at least make it a little more comfortable to carry.

[quote name='hankmecrankme']Oh snap.

http://www.razerzone.com/bredtofight[/QUOTE]

I took a shot at being part of it. Why the hell not.

Interested in this one. The Razor Onza was great for call of duty. Lets see if this can translate well to a fight stick.

I already like the hatch a la the pdp stick from MK. Less screwes to deal with. I hope its easy to artwork on this thing.

Got a question. A friend of mine and possibly myself are thinking about making our own sticks. Basically what I am wondering is there any sites that sell cheap Joystick cases?

Doesn't matter what kind of case it is, I just want to see available options so I can plan a possible cost if I were to build a joystick. I would rather buy a premade case since it would be much easier for me instead building one.

Check the trading forum on SRK. There are few guys there making blank wood cases (Nite Walker and QCF Gaming come to mind, but there are definitely more).

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Got a question. A friend of mine and possibly myself are thinking about making our own sticks. Basically what I am wondering is there any sites that sell cheap Joystick cases?

Doesn't matter what kind of case it is, I just want to see available options so I can plan a possible cost if I were to build a joystick. I would rather buy a premade case since it would be much easier for me instead building one.[/QUOTE]

http://www.tek-innovations.com/arthobbies/?loc=

THE SOUL STILL BURNS!

6280296841_5cdbfa113d_o.jpg

[quote name='Mad Catz Press Release']

Mad Catz(R) Enters into Agreement with Namco Bandai Games Inc(R) to Create SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition

SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition IsExpected to Launch Worldwide January 2012

SAN DIEGO, Oct 25, 2011 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. ("Mad Catz") (AMEX/TSX: MCZ) announced today that it has entered into an agreement with Namco Bandai Games Inc, to produce the SOULCALIBUR(TM) V Arcade FightStick Soul Edition, a Tournament Edition fighting game controller for use with the upcoming SOULCALIBUR V videogame. The agreement gives Mad Catz worldwide rights to ship products for the Xbox 360(R) video game and entertainment system from Microsoftand for the PlayStation(R)3 computer entertainment system from Sony(R).

"The FightStick product category continues to perform well for us globally and the addition of the popular SOULCALIBUR franchise leverages both our brand and market leadership." said Darren Richardson, the President and Chief Executive Officer of Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. "Leveraging licenses on a global basis is part of our long term growth strategy to build our worldwide business."

About Mad Catz
Mad Catz Interactive, Inc. (AMEX/TSX: MCZ) is a global provider of innovative interactive entertainment products marketed primarily under its Mad Catz(R) (casual gaming), Cyborg(TM) (pro gaming), Tritton(R) (gaming audio), Saitek(R) (simulation), and Eclipse(TM) (home and office) brands. Mad Catz also develops flight simulation software through its internal ThunderHawk Studios(TM); operates flight simulation centers under its Saitek brand; operates a videogame content website under its GameShark(R) brand; publishes games under its Mad Catz brand; and distributes games and videogame products for third parties. Mad Catz distributes its products through most leading retailers offering interactive entertainment products and has offices in North America, Europe and Asia. For additional information please go to www.madcatz.com.

Social Media
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/MadCatzInc
Twitter: http://twitter.com/MadCatzInc
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/MadCatzCompany

[/quote]

I will upload some pictures soon. In the meantime, here is the announcement; now open for discussion.

Here are some key points about the SOULCALIBUR V Arcade FightStick SOUL Edition:

• Tago-san, the producer for SOULCALIBUR V told us at E3 2011 that he wanted a stick similar to the SSFIV Chun-Li Tournament Edition FightStick. We agreed to make something similar; but to make changes/improvements that cater to the fighting game fan and of course the SOULCALIBUR fan
  • That being said, the SOUL Edition has a translucent body all around with the artwork of the Soul Edge and Soul Calibur swords tying into the case design
  • The FightStick has a new button layout and has a button mapping that is unique to SOULCALIBUR. The new button layout and stick placement is following the NAMCO NOIR arcade panel layout; this layout is most reminiscent of the classic SEGA Astro City layout
  • The bezel on the SOUL Edition FightStick is what we call the "EDGE" bezel; which helps give it more of a SOULCALIBUR look & feel
  • The SOUL Edition uses 6 stainless steel screws; we've listened to your feedback and have noted that rusty screws are not appealing

There are some other tidbits here and there; but we'll wait to reveal that as time goes on. This FightStick is slated for availability in North America, Europe and Japan.

Please let me know if there are any questions. :D

I'm not a huge SC fan but I really like the looks of that stick. The bezel looks pretty sick I am curious though:

- Will the new stainless screws be available individually?
- Complete shot in the dark, but any chance of that panel with the Noir/Astro layout being available on its own? I know art has panels, I just prefer metal ones.

Pic from SRK:

soul1111b.jpg

I like the fact that Soul Calibur stick uses SEGA's Astro City button layout (always been a fan of that even though I don't mind the Viewlix layout).

Hmm...might be temping to pick up when it's released.

I just finished modding my 2nd TVC stick and snapped a photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50084004@N08/6786904065/in/photostream

Top Left is TVC stick with Seimetsu buttons, black balltop and stock stick.

Top Right is TVC stick with Sanwa buttons, matching balltop and stock stick.

The TVC sticks are for Wii U and for Android, as they show up as Classic Controllers when synced with a wii remote via bluetooth and work flawlessly for fighters via emulation.

The bottom left is a dual modded (with chimp board) TE, and the bottom right is a stock TE that i havent decided what board to use to dual mod it with.

I am pretty much done buying sticks now, really doubt i'd need anything else. I modded all sticks myself.

bread's done
Back