CAG Buzz: Akysys Games' From the Abyss (DS) and Battle Fantasia (360) Giveaways!

Battle Fantasia (360) Entry Questions:

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

-Really I get more excited over new games added to the fighting genre than current sequels coming out in an already established line of games. The reason being I want to get into fighting games so badly (enough to purchase a Soul Caliber III here or a Tekken IV there) only to lose interest after a quick play through and find myself wondering why I can't get into it. I keep praying for the next fighting game (The Current King in my domain remains to be Super Smash Bros. Melee), to overtake my interests for more than just a few days and leave me with a feeling of enjoyment and knowing I made a good purchase.

2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

When I first browsed a few screen shots of Battle Fantasia I thought the genre categorization was wrong. It looks well I beautifully crafted RPG, and honestly I think that might be what gets it going as a great fighting game. Honestly I find that fighting games lose their appeal the fastest in the visual department. After hours of play and watching the same styled artwork duking it out in the same style we've come to know...it gets boring for me. I know I'll at least be trying this game out simply because it looks unique, and in this age of video games, unique is a hard trait to come by.

3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

I really don't have a preference as I try to come in with an open mind to the game and not judge based on dimensions of the fighting style. Instead I would rather reflect on how such a viewpoint was carried out, and how it fit with the overall feel of the game's mechanics and graphics. So, for me each game would have it's own preference. Some I may wish had been 3D, and others I'm happy they picked what they did.

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

Any game added to the fighting genre is worth checking out. These days, there's not too many new fighter series being released, always King of Fighters or anything similar. It's a fresh breath of air to get something new that can be made into a series of its own. But of course, that doesn't mean I hate sequels. I'm interested in the upcoming SFIV. Despite the fact it might NOT be a good sequel, I hope that they don't ruin the series.

How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

Very unique. When you get fighting games, you usually have your run-of-the-mill karate kid and the guy who uses swords. But for BF, it's like walking into a fantasy book excluding the dragons and damsel in distress. Look at the mouse! You fight with a mouse! What more could you possibly ask for?

Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

2D. Why? I love hand-drawn stuff. If done right, there's a lot of detail and each attack looks very interesting and amazing. Take a look at Hokuto no Ken for the PS2 (the fighter, Japanese only, of course). When pulling off special attacks, you can the great animation that makes you feel you're inside a comic book. Then when they unleash their finisher moves, just seeing the move being carried out is very satisfying.

However, 3-D fighters have a small place in my heart. If they could get the feel and sight of 2-D but the fluid actions of 3-D, I'd get the game in an instant. And that's what Battle Fantasia is. The actions are so smooth but you have the feel of 2-D at the same time. WOW.

From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions:

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Addictive gameplay
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? CheapAssGamer.com
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. CheapAssGamer:video game deals; Kotaku: video game randomness news/rumors; 1up: news, reviews and other randomness

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?

It really varies, but for the most part I look forward to a series that I might be used to. Though if the company that makes one of my favorite fighting games makes a new one I will begin to gain an interest in it

I actually like it a lot. The style really brings a certain uniqueness that you do not get to see a lot in fighting games.

Actually I prefer 2D fighters due to really being brought up on them. I played the 3D fighters and just could not really get into them. Games in which the characters are rendered in 3D but the gameplay is in 2D are something I also enjoy.

Battle Fantasia (360)

1. I care about any announcement for any fighting games simply because I love fighting games in general. I'm particularly excited when it's a new IP with a roster of new and interesting characters.

2. I think they're really cute and stylish. I'm particular into the vibrant colors and wacky ideas of the setting.

3. I have no preference between the two. Both 2D and 3D fighters have their own pros and cons. I love to play both as long as they're both fun and balanced. I can't find myself enjoying one over another.

[quote name='Kerig']From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions:

What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
The key elements that attract my attention first are the story and character designs. If the story sounds interesting, and if the art style is decent, I'll more than likely check it out. For gameplay, I am focused towards pacing, both on how smooth and easy the game plays and if it's challenging and fun rather than irritating.

If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I've seen it on the AKSYS site, and there have been discussions about it on the gaming forums I visit. I haven't heard of it before it was localized.

Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
CheapAssGamer - Not only a deals site, but a gaming news site as well.
PennyArcade - The forums are full of in-depth discussions about gaming across all genres. It's where I usually hear first about any obscure titles that may have flown below my radar.
GameFAQs - Informative FAQs, and reviews as well. While there is a lot of junk to sift through, their forums have criticisms and praises from a multitude of viewpoints to judge a purchase by.

Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
I'm a huge fighting game fanatic, and I've been awaiting this 2D weapon fighting title for a while. I'm interested to see what's been patched from the first release.

The style is very distinctive and sets a unique mood for a fighter. It certainly stands out. The character designs seem too standard in the fantasy genre, but it's not generic.

I'm a 3D fighting game player, but I started with 2D and I've been trying to explore that genre more. I prefer 3D gaming due to the intuitiveness of spacing and the non-reliance of constant button buffering for long combos.

1. Any fighting game, usually. It has to be 2D though, and even then, I only get hyped at certain things, like Tatsunoko vs. Capcom or BlazBlue.
2. The style is definitely different than what I'm used to for fighting games, but it looks great. Some of the character designs will take some getting used to though.
3. 2D fighters all the way. It just plays and feels better.

1) What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?

Combos - multiple character chains are always nice too.
Story - It's still an RPG and still better have a story worth finishing for.

2) If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?

Amazon, amazingly enough. I was scrolling through DS RPGs and came across this one.

3) Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.

Easy. CheapAssGamer, Joystiq, and Kotaku. I guess I like the atmosphere, the layout, and the amount of updates I find. I still check out Destructoid, 1up, and others; just not as often as the main three.

• What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
Probably the battle system. I like a nice and fluid battle system.

• If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I saw few screenshots on some random site, then I did google search to get some more info.

• Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
Gamefaqs.com I like to read the boards.
Cheapasgamer, look for the deals
joystiq.com Go there for the news.

• Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?
Now I"m not the greatest when it comes to fighting games, but I still have a genuine like for the genre. especially if it's 2d.

• How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
I remember liking it several months ago when I first heard about coming to Japan. and unhappy becuase at the time it didn't look like it was coming stateside.

• Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
In general I always prefer 2D games. Especially Fighting games. I just like the simplicty of the controls.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?

I come from the school of Zelda and Metroid when it comes to Action RPG games where you would initially see a place you couldn't get access to until you beat a boss or find an item that lets you overcome that obstacle. Lots of hidden stuff if you explore around with your newfound skills is also very nice.

[*]If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?

I was looking at the DS section at Gamestop's website and filtered the list to RPGs. Never heard of the game before so I looked it up on Youtube and saw the trailer for the game and it looked good

[*]Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.

I'm mainly a lurker, but I love going to forums for my videogame news and discussion fix. I'm not going to list CAG cause I think that's an obvious answer for everyone here.
    -The Next Level: I've been going there for years! I've met and hung out with a few people there and they were all cool people. It's not a huge community, but everyone is close.
    -NeoGAF: Since I can't even get an account there (they won't accept free e-mail accounts for registration) I just lurk. I go there because a lot of gaming news gets reported there first before spreading across the web.
    -Shoryuken: I love fighting games and there's no better place for them on the net in my opinion.

As fighting games are my favorite genre, I try to follow all the news that pertains to them. Needless to say, I get very excited about new fighting games. Sadly, most of my friends do not, so while I'll be hyped up for info on lesser known games like Arcana Heart, Battle Fantasia, and even stuff I'd never expect to see come out here like Daemon Bride, the excitement does dwindle a bit because I know if I do buy those games, my friends and I will end up playing for only a little bit, and they'll want to go back to Street Fighter instead of trying to learn something new. This is why I feel that developers need to include GOOD netplay into their fighting games so people like me could find other people to play with. That's how Sega got me into Virtua Fighter 5.

[*]How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?

Honestly, I wasn't really feeling the character designs, but I gave it a shot when my brother got a PS3 and I was able to download the demo from the Japanese PSN marketplace and they kinda grew on me a little. I was never too fond of medieval/fantasy characters and settings. I'm not one to really dismiss a fighting game based on looks as before the huge wave of fighting game announcements, a new fighting game didn't come out too often.

[*]Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

While I dabble in both, I prefer 2D more than 3D. 2D fighters are usually a lot more fast-paced and unlike most 3D games, has a better jumping game and the use of projectiles to control space. Not to say that 3D games are inferior, they both just offer different kinds of gameplay and I prefer 2D. I will play either as long as they're good though.

i look first at gameplay, second i look at how long the game is, and third i look at the graphics/presentation.

2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
i heard about it on gamespot.

3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
i visit gamespot.com, ign.com, and gamefaqs.com

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? I look for the action element and gameplay mechanics mostly. If they are fresh and it is easy to walk around and perform moves, I consider buying the game. Even a storyline as tedious as the "save the princess" Mario series can be fun with great controls. This also encompasses repetitive elements; if new ideas are implemented throughout the game to break up the tediousness of fighting enemy after enemy, that's also a plus.
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? I've heard of From The Abyss from Nintendo Power magazine. I was excited to play it when I first read the article.
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. If you can include CAG, I probably visit here the most to find all the good gaming deals.I don't really visit many gaming sites. I occasionally visit GameSpot to look up new information or write reviews for games. I also visit GameFAQs for the same reason.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? Usually, I am only excited by the announcement of certain fighting series because they've been toned more than others, but the announcement of Battle Fantasia really got me excited. It's like an anime-based RPG fighter!
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? I love it. As we've seen, sometimes hand-drawn graphics can be more expressive than computer-generated graphics. Take a look at Devil May Cry 3 - it was a little lacking compared to games like Odin Sphere and Okami. Basically, I think it comes down to space on the disc. People can only make 3D characters so descriptive without removing parts of the game. With 2D cel-shaded graphics, it's a lot easier to add more detail to the characters while increasing the game's size. Disgaea is a good example in that regard.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? I prefer 2D fighters for the reasons I mentioned above. Plus, it's harder to hit enemies in a 3D arena.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Rewarding boss battles, decent story, likable cast of characters.
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? From an issue of Nintendo Power.
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. (1) GameSpot, because of its nice forums, unions and community... (2) GameTrailers, lots of videos of both classic and new games... (3) Kotaku, always updating news and stuff I'm interested in.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? I need to see some gameplay videos first before getting all excited if it is a new franchise. In the case of existing ones, I get excited instantly.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? Seems like a different approach from the traditional stuff, and I like where it is going.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? With the exception of Soul Calibur, I definitely prefer 2D fighters... it is easier to control the character.

An engaging story is the first thing I look for complete with likeable characters. I'm a total romantic and I like to escape reality and live vicariously through the story. Then I look to the battle system and how smooth and quick it is. Then I make sure its not a grinder. I hate grinding games
  1. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I heard of it from here. haha

1. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
CheapAssGamer.com for its deals and for trading. Kotaku.com for news and info on upcoming games. 1up.com for reviews on games

Only my favorite. Which woudl be guilty gear. And this is close enough!

1. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?
I love it. Beautiful 2d backgrounds and 2d sprites. Its basically a lighter version of Guilty Gear without hte hard rock!

1. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
2d by far. 3d fighters are all about flash and not about gameplay

1. I look for a large amount of features, and good control.
  2. I haven't heard of the From the Abyss earlier, but I am eager to play it.
  3. nintendowiifanboy.com, dsfanboy.com, joystiq.com

1. I care about some of them. Soul Caliber and Super Smash Bros. specifically.
  2. I liked it, it seemed detailed.
  3. It all depends on the experience I have had with the game.

The Story is the biggest element for me. I think a good story would make you look past graphics that weren't exactly up to par. Characters and character development is also a big issue to me.

Ive never heard of it before but it looks like itd be an awesome game.

1. CAG (because its fucking amazing)
2. Amazon (great prices and deals)
3. 1up.com (For news on gaming)

I like fighting games in general. I love to check out new ones because maybe they'll be added onto the ones that i love right now. Finding a great new fighting game is rare so I take the time to play the new series that come out.

The charcter design looks amazing. It reminds me of japanese anime characters in battle situations. I also love the style of battle as it looks like it would be right up to par with all the other fighting games that are coming out like soul calibur and street fighter 4.

3, Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
I enjoy a mixture of both actually. I like a 2d game with some 3d elements, but i guess i would prefer more 2d fighting games now that ii think about it.. I wouldn't change any aspect of this game because it looks really well done and i love the artwork design.

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?- Enjoyable storyline, fun battle system, and co-op is always a bonus :).
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?- I first noticed it from a review on IGN.com
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.- Cheapassgamer.com for the best deals, kotaku.com for news, and IGN.com for reviews.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series?- I'm always interested in trying something new!
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia?- I like the colorful anime-style art, it seems unique.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?- 2D, they just seem to have an overall better "flow" to them.

1. I always look for a fun and engaging battle system in an action RPG. I feel the battle system is the most important element in an action RPG. The story is always essential, as are the characters. If the story just isn't there, too overly done, or just plain boring to me, I won't play it. If I hate the characters, I won't play it.
2. I actually don't believe I have heard of From The Abyss, and I usually know about the upcoming releases.
3. Of course I visit CheapAssGamer.com for great deals, GameTZ.com for a trading community that I've been with for over seven years, and Kotaku.com to get all my gaming news.

1. I really don't get excited for many fighting games, unless they look particularly interesting. The only series that I really like is the King of Fighters series, and even though the new one is coming out soon, I'm not very hyped up about it. Battle Fantasia, however, seems intriguing, considering it is a fighting game with RPG elements.
2. I think the character design is quite appealing, but seems a tad generic. Although it might just be me. However the character design isn't what has me interested; it's the RPG elements.
3. I prefer 2D fighters. While Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive are fun games, I much, much, much prefer games like King of Fighters or Street Fighter.

Good storyline, good characters, how comfortable the controls feel, replay value/multiple endings etc

Heard about it in Nintendo Power and on the web

Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why

Gamespot.com because its good for game info and reviews

Ign.com Ditto, for reviews and game info

Gametz.com/CAG because they got good deals for buying/selling/trading games, plus good community of people.

Yes, I like it when new fighting games come out, I like variety.

It looks well done. Graphics are amazing, characters look interesting

I like 2D more, I guess its because I am used to it. All the old school fighters always have been 2D, and not alot of 3d fighters have impressed me.

Not series, but certain companies, sure. If Capcom release someing new I'll take a look. Namco, unless it's Soul Calibur I'm not that into it, Sega makes VF, but that's about it. I did enjoy Guilty Gear on Xbox however. :)

I dig it. It reminds me of a JRPG, but I can respect that. :)

2D. Something about the way you line up and go head to head with out all the side steping just speaks to me. I perfer 2D animation to 3D Animation as well most of the time.

1) What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
Great gameplay mechanics. Since these games tend to be faster pace, I expect the action to be fast and constant.

2) If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
Never heard of it.

3) Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
Giant Bomb - Great writing and wiki style website.
Joystiq - Superb writing along with relevant news.
Kotaku - Fun site with serious and odd stories.

In any RPG title, the story and characters are the most important factors, followed by how enjoyable the battle system is to play.

Cheapassgamer.com

Cheapassgamer.com - Who doesn't like saving money on games?
IGN - Gaming news and reviews
Gamefaqs - Game cheats and walkthroughs

I get excited about most fighting games in general, however, my favorites would be the Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive, Guilty Gear, Street Fighter, and VS series games.

I love the anime art style. Its very unique compared to most fighters on the market.

Given the choice, I prefer 2D fighters. The street fighter inspired battle system in most 2D fighters tends to be more fluid and intuitive than the button combo heavy style of most 3D fighters.

1. I've always enjoyed playing fighting games, so any new game is great to try out.
2. I like the Anime style graphics and the graphics are vibrant and clean.
3. I prefer 2D fighters because it's what I've been used to playing.

I grew up on fighting games so any new fighting game would peak my interest.

I enjoy anime so anything that resembles it will get my attention. I like the over the top character design and style of this game because of that reason

I grew up on street fighter so 2d fighters will always be my preference. I still play 3d fighters because i like fighters in general, but i could never get the hang of holding multiple buttons for certain moves.

From the Abyss (DS)

1. Camera Control, Depth of Game Mechanics and Combat system, & Story. I want to be immersed into my game so that if feels that the switch to Action RPG instead of Turnbase is seamless. The depth of Game Mechanics could be little things like inventory structure, world maps, buying/selling goods, character control (which is a nice feature being able to swap skill sets and inventory on the fly.) Combat system is just giving me something that makes me want to stay and enjoy the game. The Story keeps me engrossed even if there are some combat flaws or any other minor inconvenience.
  2. From IGN and from you and many friends from overseas letting me know the goodies I"m missing. :)
  3. www.n4g.com - conglomerate of most gaming news sites out there, let's me know what's hot on the topic of gaming. www.gametrailers.com - trailers, reviews, funny clips on anything gaming, since 2005 awesome site. www.cheapassgamer.com - yes a shameless plug, but it's true, friend at work introduced me and not only having I've been saving money on great games, this site keeps me beyond informed on what's going on in the market and video gaming culture.

Battle Fantasia (360)

1. Pretty much I do get excited on any fighter announced whether 2D or 3D. Mainly because I like to see other companies take on the fighting genre. What have they tried out new, improved upon, graphics they've incorporated. It's the only way I'll get exposed to some great titles. That's how I found out about Guilty Gear from ARC System Works. I'm a Street Fighter fan, but I do enjoy Tekken, SNK, CvS, MvC, and many more.
  2. I'm totally digging it. I mean, I've never heard of an RPG fighter and this is a really cool spin. Coming from a great company that has done some killer combo system and mechanics with Guilty Gear and the upcoming BlazBlue. The graphics are always above PAR. They just ooze with color and style
  3. I love them both actually. Sometimes I feeling like bashing someone in 2D because of the graphics and combo. Other times, I prefer or more realistic approach and go for the kill in 3D. Love the fact I have a choice :)

Thanks again for this opportunity. GO CAG!!:bouncy::bouncy:

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? Do get excited about fighting games, not all though. This one will be nice, waiting for MK vs DCU.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? It's a fun, silly fighting game - and the style is what makes it that - and makes it unique therefore.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? 3D - dimension and depth is what makes things fun, not that i mind classics like 2D MK, etc.

From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions

Interactive gameplay and items that actually change appearance of your character.

Cheapassgamer.com

1. Gamespot.com- good info on the gaming platforms and lots of pics and videos
2. cheapassgamer.com- good forums and discussion boards
3. gamefaqs.com- good for cheats and strategy guides

I get excited about any new fighting game with flashy moves and animations.

I like it, the 2d cartoon feel is reminiscent of the old days

Tough to say, the classics are 2d but 3d is visually more appealing which is pretty important in fighting games to me

I pretty much only care about my favorite fighting game series.

2. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? I only get excited about my favorite fighting game series.
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? I like toon-style design.
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? I prefer the quasi-two dimensional fighters, ones that look 2d but are 3d (upcoming street fighter) or are 3d but play as 2d (smash brothers)

From the Abyss (DS) Entry Questions
  1. Either a great combat/battle system, or a great story. It makes it more enjoyable if you at least have one of these elements.
  2. I've seen it through the gaming blogs and watched previews.
  3. Cheap Ass Gamer - great community, great deals on games. Game Trailers - awesome video content, lots of previews, GT TV is also excellent, and AVGN. MetaCritic - i love how you see reviews from all types of publications. easy to navigate & they don't just post game reviews, they do pretty much everything else.

1. I do. A fighting game is always a good multiplayer experience whether its online or off. The only thing that ticks me off is when they release them one after the other (like Maddenizing it). I'd rather have a whole new experience rather than tweaked up ones.
  2. Its very nice actually. It's sort of like a cross between 2d/3d, almost like SF4 but not quite like it.
  3. 2D fighting is still the best. I'll never get tired of them. I've wasted hundreds on the arcades for SFII and I wish I could do it all over again. 2D is still alive and well but with added new features like 3D backgrounds (MVC2) and even 3D characters looking like 2Ds ala SF4.

1. Mainly just my favorite but i will try the news one as well.
    1. So far it looks pretty good.
    1. Well 3D mainly but some classic 2D never hurts.

1. Story and Gameplay are always the main things!
    1. On here, and I've seen it around online and in stores elsewhere.
    1. 1up.com because they have good info on new games.
    2. gamefaqs.com because they help me get past the hard spots and such within the games.
    3. cheapassgamer.com because it's an amazing place with everything you can ask for :]

From the Abyss (DS)

[img-l=4751]2420[/img-l][img-l=4751]2419[/img-l][img-l=4751]2418[/img-l]

Developed by Sonic Powered, Published by Aksys Games, From The Abyss pits players within the vast world of Rubenhaut through a unique world creation engine exclusively created for From The Abyss. The game also features an intuitive touch screen control scheme, allowing players to swap skill sets and inventory on the fly while in combat! From The Abyss is also set behind lavish artwork, and an engaging 2 player co-op battle system that reminiscence of Squaresoft’s Secret of Mana. Fans of the Action RPG genre will definitely be pleased with the abysmal journey!

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

Puzzles- Dungeons- and challenging Bosses

I was browsing the gamefaqs forums when I seen it

CAG-to find deals and save me some money(thanks guys)
    Kotaku - for upcoming gaming news
    Gamefaqs - for player insight and game help

Battle Fantasia (360)
[img-l=4751]2421[/img-l][img-l=4751]2422[/img-l][img-l=4751]2423[/img-l]

Developed by ARC SYSTEM WORKS, creators of the highly popular Guilty Gear series, Published by Aksys Games, Battle Fantasia utilizes RPG-stylish elements while blending a high-end fighting game engine. Players will be able to pick between 12 beautifully illustrated characters by Emiko Iwasaki, and battle it out in front of gorgeous high-definition 3D environments.

As I have gotten older I have been more appreciative of other series as they are bringin new stories and features to the genre.
    looks great...
    I prefer 2d, I feel there is more technique and skill applied when you can only go head-to-head...alot of 3d fighting takes luck to win.

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

1. What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title? Good Story, different quests and good maps and vehicles.
  2. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from? nope never heard of it. Like to try it. I gonna get some research on this game...
  3. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why. CAG for some deals, ign for some online previews and reviews. Amazon for some shopping.
>INSERT FUNNY THINGS HERE

--They've gotta have a fun battle system, hands down.
--Heard a bit about it on Joystiq.
--Gamefaqs for the message boards, Joystiq for the news, CAG for the deals.

--The only long running fighting series I'm really into is Soul Calibur; aside from that I like new ones as long as they have something unique about them.
--You can definitely see the Guilty Gears influence on it and I was always a fan of that.
--2D. Less to worry about. =p

Battle Fantasia (360)
1. I do not get excited over every single fighting game to be released, just any one that I've seen in action that has any mild innovation, design or mechanical.

2. From what I've seen on the internets, I thing it's great. The characters pop out, the animations are interesting and well done, and most importantly that they mixed both the animations and the models so that each character is unique.

3. It depends, in terms of gameplay I find that 3d has a lot more potential satisfaction because of the environment, but unfortunately this also leads to repetative strategies and very unimpresive, to say the least, to the human eye. Although 2D is more simplistic in it's straight forward gameplay mechanics, it's potential for user creativity through strategy soars. It can easily become a shorter version of timed chess when each player has limited attacks and defences to work with. And also in 2d style fighters, characters tend to be different with varying yet balanced skill sets. Whereas 3d fighters seem to be the same skeleton with different skins, and slightly varying animations.

From the Abyss
(DS) Entry Questions:

Multiplayer is usually a key element for me.
    Rpgfan.com
    Gamefaqs.com I am a regular on the message board and occassionally use it for the FAQs
    Rpgfan.com I'm a huge rpg fan
    cheapassgamer.com I enjoy my games cheap

For the most part fighting game announcements don't excite me now that I don't go to arcades much anymore its the reviews that get me excited.
    It looks pretty sweet. I'd love to try it out and probably will grab it down the line.
    2d I prefer the simplicity since I'm not very good at fighters.

Any fighting game, I like to hit stuff!

I grew up on Street Fighter, and my favourite of the series was Alpha 3, and a lot of games have stuck to that 2D style and its something that always draws me into fighting games, because its something I find visually appealing but not to say I don't enjoy the likes of VF5 or Tekken - I just prefer the 2D fighting with the bright colored graphics!
  2. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?

2D because you get a better experience overall as there isnt the 2.5D dimension in it that you get with 3D fighters and you can actually have a lot more fun in a 2D fighter. So many games like Darkstalkers, Street Fighter etc all look and play great but some of the 3D titles play like a sack of crap. 2D fighters are a tried, tested and proven successful format for a fighting game. But I enjoy both! :p

-Gameplay that is innovative and fun.
-Never heard of this game until now.
1. Kotaku- I like to see the opinions of people who already played the game.
2. 1up - Game news
3. Gamespot - Their forums.

Mostly just the big ones (i.e. Street Fighter, Tekken)
I like Anime so the look is great to me.
2D because the camera has less movement.

- fun gameplay, nonrepetitive score
- have not heard of this game
1. 1up - I'm a big fan of the review staff
2. Kotaku - best place to find video game news headlines
3. Gamestop - to look for deals

- I only care about the biggest titles, those are the ones I'll end up playing with my friends
- This game is gorgeous
- 3D, first good fighting game experience was with tekken and soul calibur

Yes, i do get excited since there is not many fighting games out there. Maybe the new fighting game will become my favorite, like how tekken started out as a prospect and eventually became my favorite.

They look pretty solid with the great artwork, but kind of childish.

I prefer 3D fighters since its more complex, with more combinations and moves, but i like both.

Originality. If it's the same old grind just set in 3D, it's not worth it to me.

Haven't heard of it.

1. Kotaku, as they have all the news I need.
2. Destructoid, as they have all the news I don't.
3. Joystiq, just incase I missed something on the other two.

If it looks interesting and original, then yes.

Looks very smooth and stylized. I like it.

I have no preference. I've enjoyed more 2D fighters, although the 3D ones I enjoyed tend to have more depth and keep me entertained for longer.

A fluid menu system. One that isn't cluttered and manages items, stats, etc.
well. Also at least a palpable storyline.

From IGN a few months back.

Kotaku.com for the variety of gaming news and extra.
Gamespy/IGN for additional news/reviews
Gametrailers for videos.

I may get interested depending on what the announcement is about, but other than that it's just favorites.

I generally like it. I've played a variety of different 2D fighters with different designs so it's nothing that
will alienate me.

I play both. It comes down to gameplay and execution for me.

Engaging and original storyline
Thoughtful gameplay mechanics

1. If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
Gamespot DS preview

1. Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
Kotaku - news, all the time
Penny arcade - I trust their reviews
Gametrailers - because text can't beat ingame footage

It depends on what they bring that is new to the table. I get excited if I hear about something original and fun, it matters little whether its part of the standard IP. I might be more interested in finding out if it was standard IP, but if I hear bad things, that doesn't matter.

I like the JRPGish design and would be interested in how they incorporate that into the gameplay.

1. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why?
2D cel shading is still fine for most fighters. It really depends on how they present the game. For side scrollers, 3d won't make much difference.

From The Abyss
1 - What are some of the key elements that you look for in a Action RPG title?
The ones that I tend to enjoy the most are the ones that keep things more on the simple side when it comes to inventory, attacks, and upgrades. If things are overly complicated, I tend to just go cross-eyed and throw up my arms in confusion.

2 - If you’ve heard of From The Abyss, where did you hear it from?
I have been listening to approximately 12 - 15 different gaming podcasts a week at work, and many of them start to blend together in my brain, so it would be hard to nail down exactly which ones have discussed this game, but I'm assuming I've probably heard about this game on one of the IGN podcasts.

3 - Name 3 gaming sites you visit regularly and why.
Kotaku, Joystiq, and IGN. I will usually go to Kotaku first to see all of the stories that have come out for that day, and then immediately go to Joystiq to verify which ones are actually likely to be true. IGN is the main site I reference for professional reviews, but I also enjoy several of their podcasts.

Battle Fantasia
I tend to care most about just a select few franchises, such as Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, and, my favorite, Tekken. However, I am open to trying others.

It seems solid. Honestly, for an old school 2D fighter, it can be hard to not look like many games that came before it. So with that said, I think it has a familiar feel after a quick glance, but is different enough to be identifiable after closer examination.

My favorite recent fighters have been 3D games: Tekken, Mortal Kombat, and Soul Calibur. However, for 3D fighters, there is a fine line between great and frustrating. For example, the Dead Or Alive series tends to be much less fun than the games I mentioned above, despite seeming very similar at first. For 2D fighters, I think it is easier to have a good time with a variety of different games because the developer doesn't have to master the camera and movement in a 3D space. I'll give the edge to 3D, but only when it is done just right.

1. Do get excited at the prospect of the announcement of any new fighting game or do you only care about your favorite fighting game series? I'm more geared towards the fighting games I'm familiar with but will try new games if the graphic are good
  2. How do you feel about the character design and style of Battle Fantasia? Very cool.. Looks asian
  3. Do you prefer 2D or 3D fighters and why? 2-D, cuz I have yet to see a game with good camera views and movment

Just received this sweet game. Thanks again.

ON a curious note, I'm curious if the 3 winners so far were receiving Battle Fantasia as well, since we all have mentioned winning From the Abyss. I understood the contest as one CAG winning both games, if they had desired to answer to both questions. Especially since only 3 winners have voiced their delight so far. However, others may have not responded yet, so that could be the case as well. In any case, I would like to know if the winners were both games?. If not, that's cool too, these games are doing something unique and different that I love. I thank you in advance for a great website and contest and best of luck if there are other winners.

bread's done
Back