CAG BUZZ Returns! Wild Arms XF (PSP) Giveaway! Multiple Winners!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. This experiment is similar to that of Suikoden series could prove more entertaining.
2. The wild west theme is quite unique and enables the utilization of a similarly themed soundtrack.
3. I would prefer a return to the turn-based standard RPG, with a possible expansion of the Hex Based fighting system.

1. The series has been going downhill after the first game so maybe change is a good thing but at the same time, it's hard to pull off a good SRPG.
2. It's nice to have a series that doesn't take place in medieval times or too overly politcal.
3. I wish the series would go back to it's roots rather than make so many little changes that really ruin the franchise. I'd love to see it use HD 2D graphics go back to the more simple, more traditional gameplay.

1) Especially with the transition to a portable platform, I think the switch from tradition to strategy RPG is a great move for the Wild Arms series. Opting for a hex grid system is an even better move.

2) The Wild Arms games have always tried to carve a niche out for themselves in the content vacuum of larger ticket titles. This space has always had god company in the Breath of Fire series, the Xenosaga games, and a slew of N1 games and one-shot timesinks.

3) I think the portable machines, both the PSP and the DS, are a perfect fit for the Wild Arms series. I'd love to see more iterations in the SRPG genre or even parallel series of tradition RPGs. What ever the publishers do, keep the series away from real-time RPG battles and Action RPGs.

Q1. How do you feel about the latest Wild ARMs game being a Strategy RPG?

I think it's a welcome change to move to S-RPG. The Final Fantasy Tactics series has been my favorite to date and paved the way for additional tie-ins with future installments of the traditional turn-based RPG series.

Q2. How would you compare the Wild ARMs series to other RPG games?

Honestly, it's a little sub-standard compared to some of the other series being released with more regularity. The western theme has fantastic potential but is often wasted by the confines of anime-based stories.

Q3. What direction would you like to see the Wild ARMs series take in the
future?

There are a few RPG sub-genres this franchise could delve into. The 'alchemy' or build-your-own systems out there (Secret of Evermore, Dark Cloud, etc.) could be great using the whole western theme. An action RPG could do well with the Wild ARMs story being that it's action based anyway and there are limitless possibilities when it comes to integrating timed pressed (a la the Final Fantasy VIII Gunblade system). Lastly, serialized released could do well too. Something via PSN (or XBLA) where you get a 10-20 hour installment for $10 that has ongoing stories and characters could be quite successful. Capcom did this in Japan on the Dreamcast and it was tremendously popular.

1. It's a nice change of pace, but I hope it's not out of necessity or a trend like other strategy RPGS. *cough* Mana series *cough*

2. Average, yet still unique. The anime-western theme will always set it apart from other RPGs.

3. Somewhere between Shadow Hearts and the Tales Of... series. I would like a more active-time battle mixed in with freedom to move (e.g. Eternal Sonata, Valkyrie Profile 2).

Q1:
Welcome the change. I really enjoy SRPG's so this is something to breathe new life in a sagging franchise.

Q2:
Honestly very lacking. That's why the change-up is nice. Graphics, story, gameplay I felt have all been sub-par. Only Wild Arms game I really enjoyed was the 1st one. Back then when there was not a lot to choose from it seemed like and probably was a good game. However most of the others have just been lacking.

Q3:
If this SRPG works out then keep with it. If not it's going to need to be scrapped for a new franchise or totally re-invented. It really needs the works. Better graphics, story, and gameplay.

Q1. Since didn't play the first Wild Arms games, I'm fine with it.

Q2. The setting is what interested me the most, and that's what made me take notice of it. The Western setting, even a fantastical steampunk anime version of the Old West, hasn't been done well in many games.

Q3. I'd like to see a Wild Arms game go more mature, say maybe with American writers who could set the game in a more old west feel. Much like how past western movies were pretty immature in how they handled characters, fast forward to our time where Unforgiven was the swan song for Old West movies with a very mature theme.

Having been a fan of the Wild Arms series from the very first one on the PS1, it's always been a little difficult to embrace the various different game play mechanics that were introduced in the sequels since then.

I remember reading about the the Hex-Grid combat system in Wild Arms 4 on various previews. I was quite skeptical of how it would fit with the series. However, when I finally got my hands on it, I found the combat engine to be quite refreshing. The Hex-Grid combined elements of strategy while keeping a quick pace of game play made it a welcome change to the fullest.

Now with the transition to the series being a strategy RPG, I feel the same. A bit skeptical but I'm hoping for the best.

Wild Arms as a series has elements of the "Wild West" rooted in the game. From the acoustic guitar solos coupled with whistling to the desert stretching out in the land inhabited by gunslinging youths, the game holds a certain root in the "Western" and it's in that the game can be singled out among the many different RPG series.

future?

Always putting a strong emphasis on memorable characters and involving narrative, I would like the series to continue to hold true to the roots of the "Western" while branching out into various innovative and intuitive game play mechanics.

I enjoy SRPGs so no problems with that.

The quality and production values aren't as great as Final Fantasy, but I enjoy the unique Western theme.

future?
Better production values would be nice in future releases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back