CAG Firearm Thread Redux

[quote name='the ender']

S&W MP40. It's my first pistol, so I started relatively simple.[/QUOTE]

And a great pistol to start with! Those new M & P's are really top notch and I give credit to Smith & Wesson for perfecting the polymer pistol finally. Hell, I'd use that as my duty gun.

[quote name='Sleepkyng']

are you worried about the canadians?

[/quote]

has anyone seen the movie Canadian Bacon starring John Candy lol

so your gun guys. If i wanted to get hubby a gun for target shooting for his bday what would be the best thing under 300 bucks. (yes i know this is a low price point, but I believe in starting somewhere low when you arn't too certain if he'll actually use it. He loves target shooting with my brothers and my middle brother did take him deer hunting once (got a 4 corn rt through the heart), but i'm unsure if he'd take the effort to do down to the local range to drop more than 300 bucks on something.

he doesn't go for scope shooting unless it's prey so no scope here pls. just cerious. pls pm me any ideas, don't know that I want to troll the thread watching for replys.

[quote name='auralia']so your gun guys. If i wanted to get hubby a gun for target shooting for his bday what would be the best thing under 300 bucks. (yes i know this is a low price point, but I believe in starting somewhere low when you arn't too certain if he'll actually use it. He loves target shooting with my brothers and my middle brother did take him deer hunting once (got a 4 corn rt through the heart), but i'm unsure if he'd take the effort to do down to the local range to drop more than 300 bucks on something.

he doesn't go for scope shooting unless it's prey so no scope here pls. just cerious. pls pm me any ideas, don't know that I want to troll the thread watching for replys.[/QUOTE]
You might try seeing if there are any gun shows coming to your area anytime soon. I've seen used (but in good condition) Glocks going for between 300- 350 sometimes.

[quote name='auralia']so your gun guys. If i wanted to get hubby a gun for target shooting for his bday what would be the best thing under 300 bucks. (yes i know this is a low price point, but I believe in starting somewhere low when you arn't too certain if he'll actually use it. He loves target shooting with my brothers and my middle brother did take him deer hunting once (got a 4 corn rt through the heart), but i'm unsure if he'd take the effort to do down to the local range to drop more than 300 bucks on something.

he doesn't go for scope shooting unless it's prey so no scope here pls. just cerious. pls pm me any ideas, don't know that I want to troll the thread watching for replys.[/quote]
Ruger 10/22. http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=1103

They generally run $200 or so, $275 max. Semi-auto .22LR rifle, generally fit to shoot right out of the box, although eventually you'll want a softer trigger and maybe a new magazine latch. It's the most popular semi-auto .22 rifle on the market, so you can find all sorts of aftermarket upgrades, stocks, triggers, etc. :)

he doesn't go for scope shooting unless it's prey so no scope here pls. just cerious. pls pm me any ideas, don't know that I want to troll the thread watching for replys.[/QUOTE]

You could also look into a Savage .17 The .17 is a hot item right now and Savage makes one of the best .17's out of the box. You can find a good one for around $300.

And like hex said a Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice. In my hardware store we sell one with a synthetic stock and stainless barrel for $240, buy him a nice 25 round clip for it and a few boxes of .22 shells and he'll be set.

[quote name='Sarang01']Hex do you dress up when you shoot?[/quote]

Normally, just like everyone else? :lol:

Bumping this old summbitch with content! I got a handgun for my birthday today! Hooray. :D It's a Taurus PT99, a replica Beretta 92, but with better safties and some nice wooden grips. 9mm, too. She's a beauty, and a steal at $380- It's in like-new condition save for some barrel scratches and the matte is worn away on the slide. This thing is made of win and awesome: Full size 9mms rock.

Nice find, Hex. Looks fun. :)

I have a friend who is selling a shit ton of guns, because the foundation of his garage has a huge crack in it and he needs some money. I'm really really tempted to grab one. I keep asking him to give me a list of all the firearms he's willing to sell. Not sure if our pricing will see eye to eye though.

sup peeps. i posted earlier in the thread about my HiPoint(which everyone talked smack about) and im back. ive had my HiPoint .40 for close to 3 months i guess and i love it. ive put about 600-700 rounds through it and its only jammed twice. i know jamming is never good but at that percentage i can deal with it. been to the range every 2 weeks since i bought it, gotten alot better. ive also rented a couple different guns to see the differences between mine and other manufacturers. shot a desert eagle and jesus h christ!! waaaay too powerful and expensive to shoot. shot a couple glocks and dont see whats so special about them. today i shot an H&K subcompact 40cal and loved it. thing was damn near perfect at 25yds. its a shame they want like $750 for it. happy shooting.

[quote name='Hex']Glocks are made of overrated and explode. :D[/QUOTE]

Glocks; people either love them or hate them. I happen to love them. No complaints about my Glock 22.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Beretta Px4, saw one the other day and it looked like a decent gun.

And im thinking about getting my first shotgun. Nothing expensive, but I was looking at mossbergs. Any suggestions as far as cheap shotguns go, should I look at any other brands. The shotgun would most likely be a duty shotgun to carry in my trunk.

[quote name='gamefan1686']Glocks; people either love them or hate them. I happen to love them. No complaints about my Glock 22.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the Beretta Px4, saw one the other day and it looked like a decent gun.

And im thinking about getting my first shotgun. Nothing expensive, but I was looking at mossbergs. Any suggestions as far as cheap shotguns go, should I look at any other brands. The shotgun would most likely be a duty shotgun to carry in my trunk.[/QUOTE]

Mossberg Maverick 88 with pistol grip, ghost ring sights, and telescoping stock, or the Remington M870 Tactical. The Mossberg is cheaper, but it's still high-quality and it looks fucking mean as hell.

It's really up to you.

[quote name='gamefan1686']Glocks; people either love them or hate them. I happen to love them. No complaints about my Glock 22.

And im thinking about getting my first shotgun. Nothing expensive, but I was looking at mossbergs. Any suggestions as far as cheap shotguns go, should I look at any other brands. The shotgun would most likely be a duty shotgun to carry in my trunk.[/quote]
I dunno, having seen the effects of a kB! on Glocks, I don't even want to rent one at the range- Especially in anything over 9mm. Granted other firearms kB!, but not as often as Glocks.

Dunno about the PX4, it just seems to be a quality, run of the mill handgun, nothing all that special. Then again, not too many are special these days. :I

I reccomend a Remington 870 Express. They're cheap, upgradable if tacticool is your thing, and they function great. The Mossberg 500 and 870 seem to be almost equal, with the 870 being just a tad better quality.

Shotguns are generally a very personal preference these days.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']http://www.impactguns.com/store/015813505802.html

try that very good for the price[/quote]
Be advised, though, that you've really got to make sure you can handle a pistol grip like that. I installed one on my 870, then lined the sights up with both hands, fired, and got smacked in the face with my gripping hand. I promptly reverted back to my shoulder-stock model. The best of both worlds would be a comfortable side-folding model: Folded for transport or storage, deployed stock for duty.

you got to hold on to it, its not that hard to get used to, it helps for a more low profile and easier to move around than with a stock, but it depends how you like it though.

[quote name='fatmanforlife99']you got to hold on to it, its not that hard to get used to, it helps for a more low profile and easier to move around than with a stock, but it depends how you like it though.[/quote]

I suppose, but to properly line up the sights, you've got to get the shotgun a bit close to your face, and with double or triple-ought buckshot, the recoil's likely to do to you what it did to me. If you, say, had a laser on the summbitch, then maybe you could brace yourself a bit better. I still say go with a folding stock, especially for heavy buck loads. It's perfect for stable shooting, and perfect for compact storage.

I refuse to let this thread die. :( Adding something newish to the thread, I got my 20" AR 15 upper this morning from Bushmaster:

An' what a lovely piece she is, too. Gonna make sure to have the headspacing checked out first, but hopefully I'll get a chance to fire this week. Only thing left to do is omit that ugly Hogue pistol grip and replace it with a real AR 15 one. :D

[quote name='Hex']I refuse to let this thread die. :( Adding something newish to the thread, I got my 20" AR 15 upper this morning from Bushmaster:

An' what a lovely piece she is, too. Gonna make sure to have the headspacing checked out first, but hopefully I'll get a chance to fire this week. Only thing left to do is omit that ugly Hogue pistol grip and replace it with a real AR 15 one. :D[/quote]
Very nice.

They had some Mosin Nagants at an MC Sports near me. Full size for $99 and Carbine for $89. Only about $30 drop from regular price, though. Almost bought one.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']Very nice.

They had some Mosin Nagants at an MC Sports near me. Full size for $99 and Carbine for $89. Only about $30 drop from regular price, though. Almost bought one.[/quote]

A hundred bucks for a 91/30 is pretty expensive, but I guess it depends on the quality. Big Five can have them for like $68 with a bork'd stock, and you can just buy a new laminated one online for for $10. Of course, if you find a hex (

[quote name='Hex']That makes me a sad pony. I can't believe they're destroying them! Sell the legal ones back to stores for chrissake, rather than being anti-gun retards and driving the prices up for the rest of us. :roll:[/quote]

Yup, totally ridiculous. Especially since they've done studies and estimated that 95% + of the guns turned in are old relics most of which are useless and can't even be fired. The gangbangers they're targeting with these programs virtually never turn in their guns.

BTW, I'm also going to be picking up a few new pieces over the next few months, but tragically because I'm in Cali most of the pieces I'd be interested in are big time no-nos. An AR15 like Hex's? Out of the question. My friend has an HK MP5, don't know how as I doubt it's legal. But then again, he moved to WA. And on top of Cali state's restrictions, since I'm in LA, the city has been really aggresive at driving gun stores out of business. There's only a couple places left in the city to purchase guns (legally). I may have to go either out of state or maybe Pomona, as they still do the big Gun Show at the Fairgrounds out there I believe. Any really good websites I can order from?

Damn, why can't Cali get a clue like Nevada, Arizona, Texas etc.???

Anyway, any recommendations in terms of handguns? Not really limited price-wise, but special or even somewhat uncommon ammo can be very tough to come by. I want something modern but most importantly reliable, with decent stopping power. I've got a 45 Beretta along with a bunch of handguns from my old man, mostly old revolvers and a variety of different pea shooters. And plenty of hunting/bolt action rifles and shotguns.

karkyco;3140144 BTW said:
I'm planning on moving to CA next year- I'm probably either going to sell it, leave it here with my father, or break it down and put it in a safety deposit box. As for ARs in CA, there are legal ones- You can get one without any bullshit except the 10-round magazine as long as it's not manufactured by a big compnay, which would normally put it on their "assault weapons" list. Or, you can buy an AR with a detachable mag, a full non-pistol stock and without the other scary, evil features. Or you can buy one with evil features, but a solid, stationary magazine. He probably has a Vector Arms "Mp5" that was grandfathered in before the ban. CA has its head up it's ass. =/

I'd suggest my handgun, the PT99 AF. It's a copy of the 9mm Beretta 92FS with a frame-mounted safety. They generally go for $350 and are a great value.

If you want a .45, go for a Rock Island 1911-clone. They're around $400.

bread's done
Back