CAG Foreplay #51: He Likes Ceilings, She Likes Marble Floors

Great show guys. Really cool discussion on the DLC pricing. I just bought Geometry Wars for 400 points and I think that is an awesome price for that game. I really enjoy GW. I wish more games were priced like that.

Shipwreck, I added the RSS feed through my Zune. I don't know if they have a program tracking that stuff, but hopefully more people with Zunes add the show and it gets noticed. Some of the gaming podcasts in the marketplace I have honestly never heard of so there's no reason why Foreplay shouldn't get a shot in there.

[quote name='otherland']I am suggesting that IP copyright automatically extend forever. I am saying that if the creator contiunually renews his copyright or states a contunual copyright after his death it hould be allowed. If you do nothing, then is falls into public doman after they 14 or so years.[/QUOTE]

goggles eyes. You're crazy dude. If it was up to you the movie industry would be crippled. Did you even READ my comment about Thrillers that consistently use a certain symphony from Mozart or Beethoven?

Also speaking of Mickey some might have other interpretations of the character that Disney would either CHARGE for or never let them do. I'm not even talking about sexually explicit dirty stuff. I'm just referring to things Disney doesn't feel fit the image of Mickey and tarnishes it hence NO rights. Frankly I'd be interested to see Miyazaki do a Mickey Mouse cartoon.

I would debate you on drugs though I'm not technically opposed to them coming according to my idea. I know in some ways it's sooner as it's only like 5 or 7 years before a generic version of said drug can be made. My issue with drugs is there's a lot of stuff in nature that WILL cure illness that's either not well covered or just difficult to get at. I believe the cure for a lot of diseases, non-geneticwise, like Huntingtons or ALS, are in the Rainforrest. Heck the Stem Cell bit is bullshit to begin with. They're only pushing for Stem Cell's to cure Cancer and other things because they have a patent on our own genes which should be illegal to begin with. Frankly I believe the mind/body connection can cure or minimize more things then we think. Look how long Hawking has gone on with ALS. I think he's going to end up dying of natural causes, not the ALS. It's because of his mind and perhaps his will. I guess penetrance rate may play a part but I think there's more to the Mind/Body connection than we expect.

One thing I would agree on Public Domain that really does help is consumer products hitting it, specifically self-sustaining technologies. I can only imagine what positive things will happen when Konnaka pressed Solar Panels go Public Domain. Just imagining self-sustainability getting to the 3rd World makes me happy. Them getting more then enough power from the sun to power their house. It's truly revolutionary because it allows ready power and access through minimal infrastructure added. Imagine just factories set up that don't need power from cables, the WiFi is 50, 100 or 200 miles away. Sorry I'm just dreaming of beautiful things now.

I meant to say "I am NOT suggesting that IP copyright automatically extend forever." Regardless, as for the movie industry being crippled... boo hoo. There are greater tragedies in this world. I guess they will have to create new ideas as opposed to reusing the same ones over and over.

Now, don't even get started on this issue of drugs. Everything is a big conspiracy... I think I can say that your stand is based more on hope than on science and real evidence. Just because ONE person can survive a disease doesn't make it a model to everyone. Something that can can kill someone may have no effect on another? Mind/Body connection is pure "hocus pocus" evoking at best a Placebo effect. You "believe this" you "believe that"...that's great. But I KNOW certain synthesized chemokines kills HIV. I KNOW technologies can reduce cancerous cell replications.

But why not? Sure ALL the answers are in the rainforst. It's the perfect solution: it's a big, mysterious area that humans are killing off thus making the "eventual" panacea discovery impossible and activist can bemoan industry until their dying breathe. Let pin our future on the hope that somehing maybe exist on some mythcial frog, as oppsed to doing research and science to actually cure things. Better yet, we could just let everyone who has these genetic diseases not breed. That's the perfect natual solution. If people afflicted don't "mind" not breeding, future human "bodies" will be free of the disease! "What's the best cure for hemophilia? Poke them with a pin!"

Great show as always, sounds like you had a bad experience in Mexico. I hate it when people have bad experiences in Mexico, it makes us look bad, yes I'm Mexican and I'm in Mexico right now and will be until school starts. Glad I always have a place to stay in Mexico and don't have to rely on someone I don't know to cook my food.

Definitely keep previewing the kiddie games and others "no one cares about." We're already bombarded by coverage of the big releases. The small stuff adds a unique quality to your show. It's amusing to hear Shipwreck giggle at Mrs. Shipwreck's exasperation.

[quote name='eliter1']Great show as always, sounds like you had a bad experience in Mexico. I hate it when people have bad experiences in Mexico, it makes us look bad, yes I'm Mexican and I'm in Mexico right now and will be until school starts. Glad I always have a place to stay in Mexico and don't have to rely on someone I don't know to cook my food.[/QUOTE]

I was really, really sad when I got sick in Mexico. I (to be honest) had always been wary about going because you always hear these horror stories about people getting sick. And it's unfair to judge the whole country for one bad meal. I am 100% sure that the food at the resort was awesome. The one day that we ate off the resort was when we went snorkeling. I'm pretty sure that something I ate then was the culprit. But, the people were super nice and I would really recommend going there even if I did get sick.

Welcome, back, ships (even though I'm listening to this episode ridiculously late--stupid work)! I loved the opening theme, though I couldn't quite place it..what was it?

I really felt bad for Mrs. Ship for getting sick while in Mexico. At first I heard you guys say you were near Cozumel, and I was wondering if either of you did any SCUBA diving, but hearing about Mrs. Ship getting sick...just no fun. :(

I don't know, that Frat Party game sounds pretty awful, but who am I to talk, as I have Midway's "Game Party" for my Wii. In my defense, though, in addition to Beer Pong, it has shuffleboard, darts, skeeball, trivia, air hockey, and basketball (like the ones at the arcade). It was a spur of the moment $20 purchase.

What game is it that you were talking about with no local co-op but online co-op only? It was towards the end of the show, and though I re-wound it, I still didn't catch the name. Maybe it's time to clean out my ears.

Anyway, glad you're back, looking forward to another one this week (Tales of Vesperia!).

/tk

I've eaten in outside venues in Mexico a bunch of times and never gotten sick, I guess its just bad luck.

As for recording you guys should just stay where you are as it works, anything later is too much later and anything before and you're at the same time as the cagcast and you miss the downloadables. So yeah let Cheapy and Wombat look like fools talking about games that aren't out yet.:p

Hey Mrs. Ship - I had exactly the same type of experience in Mexico, but a long time ago. I'm actually somewhat surprised they still have those problems down there :lol:.

I went in 1988 or 1989 to an area south of where you were - close to Akumal. It was me, my girlfriend at the time and 2 other friends (both guys) and we rented out a villa. We were poor college students so this was by no means an all inclusive type vacation. This meant we actually ate at local places. And yet, I was the only one of the 4 of us to get sick :bomb:. I was violently ill for a day and a half. And the vomiting was by far the lesser of the two evils if you know what I mean ;). Honestly, I don't know what would have happened if I had gotten any worse than I was - we were pretty isolated and had no phone, and obviously back then no cell phone or Internet. It could have gotten interesting if I hadn't recovered pretty quickly. I always wonder what effect that experience might have on me long term though.

Great show guys. I'm excited to hear Mr. Ship's impressions of Too Human after some of the reviews I've seen. Also, you stretch the shows out even longer. My dissertation would appreciate it since the only time I get real work done is during CAG podcasts.

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']I was really, really sad when I got sick in Mexico. I (to be honest) had always been wary about going because you always hear these horror stories about people getting sick. And it's unfair to judge the whole country for one bad meal. I am 100% sure that the food at the resort was awesome. The one day that we ate off the resort was when we went snorkeling. I'm pretty sure that something I ate then was the culprit. But, the people were super nice and I would really recommend going there even if I did get sick.[/quote]

Mexico food = dirty. got it. j/k ;)

[quote name='terpkristin']What game is it that you were talking about with no local co-op but online co-op only? It was towards the end of the show, and though I re-wound it, I still didn't catch the name. Maybe it's time to clean out my ears.[/quote]

I think it was Too Human.

Anyway... when are we getting a new episode?

We're trying to figure out a schedule around the CAGcast. Ship and Wombat are doing a show tonight, and Ship and I will be doing 2 weeks of Foreplay on Sunday/Monday. Our plan is to get the show out early in the week so that when Cheapy is back in town, he and Wombat can use our notes. :)

[quote name='mrs. shipwreck']We're trying to figure out a schedule around the CAGcast. Ship and Wombat are doing a show tonight, and Ship and I will be doing 2 weeks of Foreplay on Sunday/Monday. Our plan is to get the show out early in the week so that when Cheapy is back in town, he and Wombat can use our notes. :)[/quote]

That's really cool of you guys. Is the Wombat/Ship show going to be in the iTunes feed as CAG Foreplay or will just be a downloadable show on the home page or something like that?

[quote name='XTommyDonX']That's really cool of you guys. Is the Wombat/Ship show going to be in the iTunes feed as CAG Foreplay or will just be a downloadable show on the home page or something like that?[/QUOTE]

It'll be in the CAG Foreplay feed in a couple of hours.

What if you guys put out the show on Fridays so it is still "CAG Foreplay" and Cheapy can steal borrow your notes for the new releases. I love the Ship/Wombat and Ship/Cheapy shows, they mix things up and its always cool to have different personalities interact. I (and I'm sure many other long-time listeners as well) feel that we can take a good guess at how those guys will react to certain news.

[quote name='otherland']I meant to say "I am NOT suggesting that IP copyright automatically extend forever." Regardless, as for the movie industry being crippled... boo hoo. There are greater tragedies in this world. I guess they will have to create new ideas as opposed to reusing the same ones over and over.

Now, don't even get started on this issue of drugs. Everything is a big conspiracy... I think I can say that your stand is based more on hope than on science and real evidence. Just because ONE person can survive a disease doesn't make it a model to everyone. Something that can can kill someone may have no effect on another? Mind/Body connection is pure "hocus pocus" evoking at best a Placebo effect. You "believe this" you "believe that"...that's great. But I KNOW certain synthesized chemokines kills HIV. I KNOW technologies can reduce cancerous cell replications.

But why not? Sure ALL the answers are in the rainforst. It's the perfect solution: it's a big, mysterious area that humans are killing off thus making the "eventual" panacea discovery impossible and activist can bemoan industry until their dying breathe. Let pin our future on the hope that somehing maybe exist on some mythcial frog, as oppsed to doing research and science to actually cure things. Better yet, we could just let everyone who has these genetic diseases not breed. That's the perfect natual solution. If people afflicted don't "mind" not breeding, future human "bodies" will be free of the disease! "What's the best cure for hemophilia? Poke them with a pin!"[/QUOTE]

First off arguing for natural cures in the Rainforrest does have validity as there have been a tremendous amount of new species and plants that keep being found in it so you never honestly know. Heck the Rosey Periwinkle, found in Madagascar's Rainforrest I believe, can CURE Stage One Hodgekin's Disease.

I'm not entirely opposed to non-Hollistic medical discoveries but for me it's in the diagnostic end, like creating Cat Scan tech., X-Ray's, MRI's, etc. NON-invasive product. Don't forget there ARE genuine natural cures and I don't believe Aspirin and Penicillin are the exception, not the rule. When you go natural you don't have to worry so much about side-effects because it belongs in the environment.
Let me explain what the medical profession has become to you. Look at the cure for Cancer, Chemo and Radiation therapy. Effectively swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. You're giving someone the same treatment that may have given them Cancer to begin with, devastating their immune system and POSSIBLY causing irreparable harm to their genome. If I was a responsible doctor and giving my patient Radiation therapy I would make them sign a paper authorizing me to sterilize them as well. I would make it clear why I felt that way as well.
Now, the Radiation therapy is there to cure it but makes sure the medical industry still gets their money. The idea? The immune system is compromised or weakened considerably from it's former glory perhaps so they come in more often being sick. You see? It's not so much about getting and keeping someone well as treating them. Also it's not about truly curing most things and then doctor's will be more around for just surgeries and treating the common colds. I wish as this is what SHOULD be happening but then Big Pharma's money train is jeopardized. If Gene Therapy works and cures one defective gene it'll fuck up another. If it doesn't it'll be because you paid extra to make sure they didn't taint it.
I respect some doctors still care and truly believe in what they're doing but they need to think more about Hollistic means in general as it's WAY cheaper then Big Pharma and will cause less harm to the individual and I wouldn't be surprised if no side effects happen.
As for you decrying the mind-body connection. I was reading a story in a book about this guy who had terrible Cancer or something of the like, worrying terribly. He didn't have long to live so he begged the doctor to get him on a study with this drug. In the end he was up around thinking the drug worked. Jumping around and shit. This was a guy who could barely move or get out of bed the day before or two days before this. He hears the drug didn't work, gets sick again like....BANG! So the doctor either said he got the Placebo or not a strong enough dose. Basically he reassured the patient and they believed it. So the patient is feeling great, I'm pretty sure this was two YEARS afterwards, may not have been that long but a substantial amount of time had passed. So anyway, he looks in the paper, sees it certifies that the drug he took was bunk. He either dropped dead the next days or two days after he read it. I think they also found his body riddled with the Cancer when he was dead. I hate to say it but you can't dismiss the mind-body connection so easily. I would also not dismiss off hand the healing others aspect. The issue is being able to tap into it. We have been taught and brainwashed to believe out bodies are so frail when they can do extraordinary things if we just believe.

bread's done
Back