CAG home owner topic. Buying or selling a home? Have a maintance issue? Help is here!

Oh God, I bought the house.

Now I need to pull up carpets, paint and a few other things. Sadly with a full-time+ job I don't have time to get that kind of stuff done so I'm gonna have to get people to do it. I thought about doing it myself but there is no way I would get everything done in the next few weeks like I want and then actually move myself into the house.
How much was your winning offer? Where do you live?

Looked at a place a few days ago, has only been on the market since June 30th and is listed for $85k. It's in a quiet neighborhood in a desired school district. It was nothing spectacular but it met all the requirements I had aside from the lot size. It is 1,250 sq. ft. with 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath and has a 700 sq. ft. climate controlled two car garage. While looking I realized one of the current residents is a gamer. Saw a boxed N64, boxed GC and a retron 5 in the garage along with a few NES cartridges on their media shelf. Maybe I can negotiate them in with the house. :p

I like it and wanted to put in an offer the next day but the Realtor wanted a form from the bank showing my preapproved status, she said it would be an advantage during negotiations. Unfortunately the only person that could provide this was the lender that did the paperwork and she was out on training (she's a "lender trainee"). I finally go into the bank today and was able to have them flag her down and send the required forms. During the 1 day delay the house was shown twice more. I may have lost my time advantage due to the bank.

Anyway, I was the first to the table and made an offer tonight of $80k. I will know by this time tomorrow if they accept, reject or make a counter offer. I expect a counter offer since it's only been on the market 10 days.

P.S.

If I get this place, I'm making one of the bedrooms my retro gaming room. I have a 1971 Zenith rotary dial cabinet TV complete with Space Command "clicker" for the 70's, 1980 Zenith cabinet turn dial for the 80's and a 27" black Panasonic on a stand for the 90's. Each will have it's own area with period correct games and memorabilia.

I got a call today regarding the house. It was for sale because the couple was splitting up. Apparently my offer made them think about it and they decided to reconcile, they pulled it from the market this afternoon.

I'm glad they worked things out but pissed that they waited until I put in the time, paperwork and effort before they did.

I figure one of two things will happen; things will work out for them or they won't and the house will be available again in the next 6-12 months.

Back to square one. I've scoured every available house in the area in my price range and have no interest in any of them. Think I'm taking a break from the search.
Well, the place went back on the market yesterday and I put in an aggressive offer this morning. Just got a call a few hours ago confirming that they accepted the offer. Now comes the hard part; paper work, inspections and packing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Forgot to check back on this thread, but a month later still getting stuff done.

It takes so long to get everything done. Hah.

I'm in a suburb right outside of Boston and the price was north of 500K. That is probably enough info for now.

Plan is to hopefully rent out the apartment in there for $1600+ a month and I'm renting one of the garage bays out for $125 a month now. So when all is said and done hopefully once everything is settled it will bring my out of pocket mortgage/escrow expenses down to $900ish.

I've already have people knock on more door at night just asking about the apartment, but then get sad when they here the price. They were probably hoping to find a deal before I finish getting everything done and jump in before I research it.

Here's a question for everyone before I call someone.

Girlfriend wants bidet on toilet - that is easy enough to install, but when I connect the Tee adapter to the toilet the water output is too close the tee adapter. There is no way for me to screw the braided hose into the water output and Tee adapter (it is like 2 inches apart.

How hard is it to get one of those non-flexible toilet hoses made? I've never dealt with anything except switching out an old braided hose.

Was supposed to close on the house yesterday, there have been a few snags.  Apparently there was an issue with a previous lien that has now been taken care of.  The bigger issue is from the repair request.

There were a few electrical issues; the house was built in 1965 so it had fuses, but at some point some breakers had been installed replacing fuses without the fuse box being changed.  This left a gap exposing some wiring which is an electrocution hazard.  The fuses were supposed to be 20 amp but they had 30 amps in them.  A qualified electrician was supposed to fix this along with taking care of outlets that had reverse polarity and update to GFCI outlets near sources of water.  This along with a few other minor things were to be repaired, the follow-up inspection proved otherwise.

The electrician had changed the box, replacing the fuses with breakers.  Problem is those breakers were 30 amp when they should be 20, he also missed some of the reverse polarity outlets and GFCI's in the half bath and kitchen.  The home owner also complained that the breaker for the refrigerator and microwave had kicked after the repairs (the microwave and refrigerator each should be on their own 20 amp breakers).  It seemed he had rushed the job. 

After the electrician did additional repairs, I asked my uncle come in and take a look.  He used to be a foreman for commercial building construction, experienced with HVAC and usually builds his own houses.  The electrician was also present for this inspection.  The first thing my uncle noticed was the 30 amp breakers.  The wire was 12 gage which should have 20 amp breakers, code calls for 10 gage wire for 30 amp.  He said the place is a fire trap; if it were to be inspected by code enforcement the job would be shut down.  Apparently the 12 gage wire could catch fire before setting off the 30 amp breaker.  The electrician said he was following what was stated on the inspection report, but he is a licensed electrician and should know better.

He's going to replace the 30 amp breakers with 20 amp and piggyback 4 breakers to separate some items that should have their own. 

If all works well there is a possibility I can squeeze in closing this Friday if another group cancels, otherwise it will be Tuesday.

Update. I got a job, and my Dad and I are slowly working on making the basement my gaming cave. We need to work on the ceiling for part of it, and put in either carpet or linoeum. Lots of little misc. things to do.

How much was your winning offer? Where do you live?
It's a two family right outside of Boston. I paid a bit north of 500K for it. After rental it brings my $2700/month mortgage down to about $1000.

Spending over 100K for a down payment was probably one of the scariest moments of my life.

Closed on my house last November.  Just got word today that my job is moving to a city about 60 miles away in five months.  Not happy.

My commute would go from 20 minutes to 1:20.

That sucks. Sounds like you might have a tough decision to make.

I'm in the throes of selling/buying a house myself. A lot of things that need to still fall in place - biggest is hoping I can settle on new house first so I'm not homeless in the meantime.

We tried our hardest to find a new house while ours was on the market/after it sold but we didn't. We had to move in to an apartment for 3 months (with a 4.5 year old and 1.5 year old). Not fun. But in the end it was worth it. We got a great house (with amazing neighbors!) and we are approaching our 1 year anniversary here in just a couple days!

Good lucky Pooky - I know it's an insanely stressful time!

Good luck to all.  I am also closing in on 1 year at the new house.  Our renters(of our old house) scared us with a "we are breaking up and probably moving out text", but now they are saying that they are staying to finish the lease out, so that saved us some legal fees/pain in the ass.   

bread's done
Back