CAG Hot Shot's Golf World Invitational Tournament - SIGN UP NOW!

AMillsy wins on a freaking tie breaker. LOL. Points. 0-0 was the golf score. I blew it on the last hole. I was two strokes ahead. Hit the water. Good match.

Also there is an option to have unlimited power shot. I think we should use that to even things out. Nobody has more than anyone else.

AMillsy wins on a freaking tie breaker. LOL. Points. 0-0 was the golf score. I blew it on the last hole. I was two strokes ahead. Hit the water. Good match.
That was a crazy finish! We'll definitely have to play again sometime.

I was struggling the entire time. Then on the last hole, I had a chance at an eagle putt...just barely missed it and tapped in for just my second birdie of the match. I was watching the updates on your shots after that and was just as surprised as you were that I won on a tiebreaker.

Also, I had no idea how to even do a power shot until hole #7. I randomly hit square and finally understood what you meant. Whoops.

I like that we can knock a 9-hole match out in 20 minutes. Perfect for a lunchtime break at work - which is what I did today. ;-)

Unlimited power shot can be slotted in the game setup.  It's one of the options about halfway down.  It's the same place you can setup tiny cup or mega cup or the like.  

On a 9 hole course, ESPECIALLY the later ones, you won't want to use it that many times.  (stupid Arabian quicksands...)

It DOES help with putting but you need to be able to putt as is.  (which is a learn by feel thing)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can turn off the irritating caddies in this game, by the way. It's in the pause menu options once you start a match. I'm thinking I didn't hear them in multiplayer anyway, but I sure turned them off in single player.

Speaking of single player, when do I get to use the stupid "beginner" clubs and ball I bought for some reason? It always says they can't be used.

It's fun reading and picking up some tips from you guys. Love the casual gold but I'm still real green at this game.

There are some crazy trophies for this game. I don't think I will be getting most of them. How tough do you guys think the homing, etc. special shots that have to hit the pin are? Just chip it as closely as possible? And you need to be level 3 loyalty to do any of them, right?

What's the best way to grind out loyalty and points? Just lots of the challenge games?

Awesome, just waiting on the Breakfuss/Pete matchup. I updated the tournament and put it in the OP to keep track of it easier.

Syn and Ikeda, you guys can play your 2nd round matchup whenever.

Awesome, just waiting on the Breakfuss/Pete matchup. I updated the tournament and put it in the OP to keep track of it easier.

Syn and Ikeda, you guys can play your 2nd round matchup whenever.
Sorry, been laid out for a few days! Patching now, will get us started tonight.

It's fun reading and picking up some tips from you guys. Love the casual gold but I'm still real green at this game.

There are some crazy trophies for this game. I don't think I will be getting most of them. How tough do you guys think the homing, etc. special shots that have to hit the pin are? Just chip it as closely as possible? And you need to be level 3 loyalty to do any of them, right?

What's the best way to grind out loyalty and points? Just lots of the challenge games?
It's honestly a ton easier to get the special shot trophies than the hole in one/double eagle. Those are pure luck, you can at least help yourself with special shots by using a course that has a tee near the edge of the green and spin clubs.

And yeah, just by doing the challenge games and the daily tourney you'll take care of loyalty pretty easily. Just remember to use different characters. I like that I have this particular plat, it was totally fun to get. My wife probably got sick of me showing her all of my almost hole in ones.

Next time we should probably do something more like a traditional golf tournament where each person has an opponent each round but it's aggregate score or total wins with score differential or something like that.  Then you can have more people playing and everyone gets to play for all four rounds or however many there are.  Just an idea since it's about having fun and some of us are noobtacular while others have everything unlocked.  Keeps everyone involved.

So if breakfuss and handsomepete don't play, I get a bye to the next round, right? ;-)

Also, if we're able to figure out a way to make it more like an actual golf tournament, I'd be game.

So if breakfuss and handsomepete don't play, I get a bye to the next round, right? ;-)

Also, if we're able to figure out a way to make it more like an actual golf tournament, I'd be game.
We're on the 6th or 7th hole, I believe. I'm definitely going to lose, and I imagine you will when you play him, lol. Still invaluable since I'm picking up tips on how to manipulate my swing and power. Good stuff.

I'm getting a vita later this week and would like to be involved in and future HSG games.  CAG/PSN = hostyl1/hostyl176 respectively.

Also a question, are most of you new to HSG in general or just the Vita game in particular?

We're on the 6th or 7th hole, I believe. I'm definitely going to lose, and I imagine you will when you play him, lol. Still invaluable since I'm picking up tips on how to manipulate my swing and power. Good stuff.
I'd say you're doing dandy. At least you're hitting closer to the middle of the swing bar thing, I seem to be having some trouble there. I like the turn based setup, I'd probably like it more if everyone else wasn't waiting on us!

I'm getting a vita later this week and would like to be involved in and future HSG games. CAG/PSN = hostyl1/hostyl176 respectively.

Also a question, are most of you new to HSG in general or just the Vita game in particular?
I think I played two iterations of HSG on ps2 somewhat obsessively and then didn't play again until the vita version (also obsessively). It's my favorite sports video game series of all time. I'm not nearly as good as the folks who head the leaderboards for the daily tourneys, but I've played the vita courses often enough now to at least know where not to hit it and that helps me a lot.

Having heard the conversations.. Syn is probably the most practiced amongst us.  I haven't played the rest of ya'll but in hearing the conversations it'd range from novice to decent to versed.  

Syn was like a pro.  Even his worst shot was better than any I could do.  And there were quite a few where he chipped a shot from a ways a way and only missed the hole because the ball rolled around it or just barely missed it.  

Having heard the conversations.. Syn is probably the most practiced amongst us. I haven't played the rest of ya'll but in hearing the conversations it'd range from novice to decent to versed.

Syn was like a pro. Even his worst shot was better than any I could do. And there were quite a few where he chipped a shot from a ways a way and only missed the hole because the ball rolled around it or just barely missed it.
*blushes*

I loved the HSG games back on the PS1/PS2. HSG was the first game I got on the Vita, and has been the only cart in it for months now (I don't only any other physical Vita games, just digital). I've been slowly grinding away on it for months, so it's only natural that I'm use to how the game plays.

For the final match, I would suggest each player uses the same character (preferably the one with a straight shot, easiest for newcomers), standard clubs and ball, and unlimited power shots. Make it as even/fair as possible :)

EDIT: One of these days we should pick a time that works for all of us, pick a tournament, and pre-register or however it works. It's far more fun to play together, 1 round at a time :)

I sent handsomepete a PM and a PSN friend request. We'll let you know when he beats me and advances to the final. ;-)

Also...everyone in the league can feel free to add me as a friend on PSN if we haven't added each other yet.

Added you I think, mills, and will anyone else I missed. Thanks for the tips, Pete. This is my first HSG game and it shows I'm sure. I still enjoy it, though, unless things get really out of control on a hole.

Also one of my 2 physical Vita games now. I got The Show from that eBay sale as well. I've had my Vita for over a year and they're my first two! Love Plus!

I'm still confused by why when I select anything other than the standard clubs or ball (in single player), there is a circle that says "Lvl 4" and overlaid on it is a flashing "Can not use" or something like that. Yet I seem to be able to select the club (or ball or whatever) and I think I'm actually using it. What is the "Can not use" referring to? Moreover I don't even know what this Lvl 4 is referring to. There is a golf club level that I think I'm now at 6 or 7. Is that what Lvl 4 is referring to or something else?

I also really dislike how they did multiplayer. I think one reason nobody seems to be playing is because it's not dead obvious how you get to a multiplayer game. Instead you end up in this dumb lobby thing where you can run around. Why doesn't it just dump you into a list of available games? It also takes forever to connect.

I do like the game, mind you. Have been playing it a lot. But the online multiplayer is dead - there are 0 multiplayer lobbies and the tournaments never seem to fill up enough to happen - and I don't think it's just because the game is not new.

Also the Caddies are the worst. Thank god I can turn them off in-game, but I still have to hear them at one of the starting screens. Who thought they were a good idea?

OK, enough complaining. Ha ha!

they added a patch that 'added' the dlc lvl4/5 clubs and balls. for some reason they added that giant warning (?) if you haven't bought the dlc (thus making the lvl4/5 clubs and balls inaccessible).

I sent handsomepete a PM and PSN message. Just waiting to hear back so we can set up a time for me to shoot a +2.

We set ours up as turn based so we didn't finish today.

Thru 5 it's handsomepete/MildObstruction -4, AMillsy -1

I can't hit a putt to save my life and have just barely missed birdies on four holes. So close!

In other news, Crunchewy and I played two live games through the lobby tonight. Took about 15-20 minutes that way. He got me both times. But I got him in our initial CAG tourney round so that's all that matters. ;-)

Yeah, fun games. If anyone else wants to play an impromptu online game (live), just send me a message. Is there a way in the game to invite someone to a live (not turn-based) game? I couldn't find any way to do that.

Also, does anyone have tips on how exactly you get the super spin and stuff like that? One time and one time only I had the ball stop dead and spins on fire and goes backward. I have never been able to repeat it. I know you have to press down when you set the strength, and then press down again when you hit, and you have to get a Note for timing, but there's some detail here I'm missing because I do that and get a note and still I don't get that burning rubber backspin.

Yeah, fun games. If anyone else wants to play an impromptu online game (live), just send me a message. Is there a way in the game to invite someone to a live (not turn-based) game? I couldn't find any way to do that.

Also, does anyone have tips on how exactly you get the super spin and stuff like that? One time and one time only I had the ball stop dead and spins on fire and goes backward. I have never been able to repeat it. I know you have to press down when you set the strength, and then press down again when you hit, and you have to get a Note for timing, but there's some detail here I'm missing because I do that and get a note and still I don't get that burning rubber backspin.
super frontspin - increases forward roll = hold down on strength, up on impact (req perfect impact)
super backspin - stops ball sooner = hold up on strength, down on impact (req perfect impact)
super sidespin - huge left or right arc to avoid obstacles = hold left/right on strength, opposite direction on impact (req perfect impact)

Won't get the flaming ball all the time, higher your spin stat the more likely I think. These are also how you get the special shots when hitting the pin (e.g. homing shot from super backspin iirc).

Ah. Not sure what good it is if it happens randomly. Doesn't seem like you can rely on it then at all.
a related irritant is that even with a very high spin rating AND if you manage to hit the pin with super backspin turning it in to a homing ball, on rare occasions the homing ball can _miss_ the cup.

that said, the super spins happen 100% of the time with perfect impact (just not the flaming ball) so they're worth focusing on. I use super backspin on most of my 2nd balls since I almost always overshoot.

Finally got my Vita in today. Look forward to playing y'all PSN=hostyl176.
Finally, someone hopefully on my skill level then.

I can't wait to do the 2nd tourney so I can play. Sitting on the sidelines has sucked even more than I do at this game.

Alright Syn, looks like it's you and me to finish this bad boy off. Hit me up on ye olde psn at your leisure!

p.s. I've been doing turn based due to my weird availability, but I can make realtime work Thurs or Fri. Looking forward to it!

Alright Syn, looks like it's you and me to finish this bad boy off. Hit me up on ye olde psn at your leisure!

p.s. I've been doing turn based due to my weird availability, but I can make realtime work Thurs or Fri. Looking forward to it!
Excellent :D I JUST started a new job, but tomorrow night or Friday night would be great. I would prefer real-time so we can get this out in about 15-20 minutes.

Just a heads-up, SynGamer: handsomepete/MildObstruction is crazy-good.

He dropped 7 birdies and a chip-in eagle against me to win -9 to -1. Nice win, man!

Also...I think it would be fun to try and set up a live multi-player tourney since we can have up to 8 people at once.

Just a heads-up, SynGamer: handsomepete/MildObstruction is crazy-good.

He dropped 7 birdies and a chip-in eagle against me to win -9 to -1. Nice win, man!

Also...I think it would be fun to try and set up a live multi-player tourney since we can have up to 8 people at once.
for what it's worth that was my single best round ever on that course. sorry you had to be on the receiving end of it!

Live 8 player would be fun. Figuring out a time when all 8 people can play could be tricky, though.
It seems like a majority of people in the league (at least the ones on my friend list) have been online between 8 PM and 11 PM eastern time this week. Maybe we just pick a day and time and see who shows up? Someone would need to be the "host" player.

It's worth a try. Even if only 4 or 5 people show up, it's better than two.

I bow to Syn's golfing prowess.
It was an excellent (and quick!) match :) -7 to -6! I took screenshots after each hole, I'll try to post them in a few minutes so people can see a play-by-play.

EDIT: we were both using Yamato w/standard clubs, ball, and unlimited power shots. Tried to make it as fair as possible. I also learned there is a Cup size called the "Tornado" and it makes the cup 9 feet in diameter (!) 0.o

Hole 1

A8fL6Cbl.jpg

Hole 2

cp56cyYl.jpg

Hole 3

0wtrvaml.jpg

Hole 4

bcl6A6Cl.jpg

Hole 5

mkUfYLKl.jpg

Hole 6

5aSq81Al.jpg

Hole 7

45aAgwFl.jpg

Hole 8

lNGln9Pl.jpg

Hole 9

BjOfBqql.jpg

Awesome job guys, congrads to Syn for a well deserved victory. Congrads to everyone for seeing this to completion as well as some pretty good golf from the looks of it.

Do we want to get set up for a 2nd tourney right away? If so, I am game.

bread's done
Back