CAG in a manga competition! [UPDATE] CAG A WINNER!

RisingZan

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I know CAG has a few manga fans, so I thought I would bring this to your attention. Tokyopop has decided to open some of the voting for the upcoming volume of "Rising Stars of Manga", namely the "people's choice award", to all its readers. Everyone is encouraged to select their personal favorite out of the top 20 and vote for it, and the best part is that you can view the top 20 entries, for free, right here:

http://www.tokyopop.com/news/mangatalent/decide/

Aside from being able to view and read some most excellent work by some very talented folks, you can also view my entry! Har har!

Yup, I made it into the top 20, with my entry entitled "SEED"!

Would I be lying if I said I didn't want your vote? Or that if you voted for me I would mail you a set of quality steak knifes and a mini juicer? -Yes, on both counts. Sorry knife fans! Seriously though, Tokyopop designed this voting process to involve YOU! So vote for YOUR favorite, but do all the artists involved a solid, and read each one. They've all worked very hard just to reach this point, and considering ALL the entries before casting your vote is the least we can do for them. I hope you'll give it a look!

If nothing else I'd really like to know what you think of my work!

[UPDATE]

WOW. I actually placed!

Here's the press release:
http://www.tokyopop.com/news/press2005/2005_rsom5.php

and here's a list of winners with self-portraits and pics:
http://www.tokyopop.com/news/mangatalent/index.php

Even though I didn't win the voter choice award I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to check out the entries and vote! I hope people give it a quality thumbin' and/or purchase when it comes out in August!

I voted for you, Morgan.
Not because your a CAG, but because I actually enjoyed your manga the most.
Too many of the others seemed like one shots, had entirely too rushed of pacing, or just didn't have an enjoyable "feel" to them.

More than half of those mangas really can't do much to build on the world they've created.
The world you've created in yours has so much exploration that can be done with it...
I would hope that if you do get published that someone would look further into publishing that as an ongoing series. Very few of the other entries have that sort of promise.

Wow, I really like your art style... I'm going to read them all before I vote, but I have to congratulate you on creating a fine work of art.

You are extremely talented, no doubtebly moreso than myself. I'm curious how you inked this... in pen, or Photoshop (how, if you did)?

You got my vote.

[quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

Blue Phoenix: No Quarter is pretty good too. Well drawn, also.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

Blue Phoenix: No Quarter is pretty good too. Well drawn, also.[/quote]

I really didn't care for it that much...
It's well drawn, but if that was what the "thrilling climax" of the story would be, the rest of the story doesn't sound like something I'd care all that much to read.

It was just poor framing, really.
After reading it, I could care less about the world it came from...
whereas Seed makes you want to see what happens after the Protector has been reactivated, and find out what happened to the world that placed it in that state (people living in a fairly technology starved status, yet giant robots walking around).

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

It's well drawn, but if that was what the "thrilling climax" of the story would be, the rest of the story doesn't sound like something I'd care all that much to read.

whereas Seed makes you want to see what happens after the Protector has been reactivated, and find out what happened to the world that placed it in that state (people living in a fairly technology starved status, yet giant robots walking around).[/quote]

I don't know, but maybe the whole Final Fantasy VII mist in the air of the manga causes me to like it. The storyline was rather weak (characters were bland, Axis kind of pops up from nowhere), which is a pretty big downfall to the manga. Seed was great, and yes, the whole robots and no technology thing makes me curious how these robots came to be, and why the humans seem to have no technology (implying they were built by humans). And yet, the provider is restored at the end, which has me thinking... are there more of these robots?

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

whereas Seed makes you want to see what happens after the Protector has been reactivated, and find out what happened to the world that placed it in that state (people living in a fairly technology starved status, yet giant robots walking around).[/quote]

I don't know, but maybe the whole Final Fantasy VII mist in the air of the manga causes me to like it. The storyline was rather weak (characters were bland, Axis kind of pops up from nowhere), which is a pretty big downfall to the manga. Seed was great, and yes, the whole robots and no technology thing makes me curious how these robots came to be, and why the humans seem to have no technology (implying they were built by humans). And yet, the provider is restored at the end, which has me thinking... are there more of these robots?[/quote]

See, that's something that scares me, Moxio.
You seem to be somewhat reasonable, and not quite the average Manga fanboy. Blue Pheonix seems to be the type of manga that bugs me... lots of style, but short on substance. If some reasonable people can be swayed by it, that's all that would need to be added to the normal manga fanboys to push that one over the top.

[quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

I don't know, but maybe the whole Final Fantasy VII mist in the air of the manga causes me to like it. The storyline was rather weak (characters were bland, Axis kind of pops up from nowhere), which is a pretty big downfall to the manga. Seed was great, and yes, the whole robots and no technology thing makes me curious how these robots came to be, and why the humans seem to have no technology (implying they were built by humans). And yet, the provider is restored at the end, which has me thinking... are there more of these robots?[/quote]

You seem to be somewhat reasonable, and not quite the average Manga fanboy. Blue Pheonix seems to be the type of manga that bugs me... lots of style, but short on substance. If some reasonable people can be swayed by it, that's all that would need to be added to the normal manga fanboys to push that one over the top.[/quote]

I agree, it does lack substance. It's no doubt my unhealthy obsession of drawing that has my interested in it. Looking back at it, its storyline is poor and drawn out, but the artist uses his drawing skills (apparently lacking the creativity for a good story) as a sort of cover-up. Seed, on the other hand, is well-drawn (in the artist's own style), and the storyline gives you just enough to wonder what their world is like, how they live, and where the robots came from.

Blue Phoenix is basically all fighting. We don't know where Park is from, what a "Phoenix" in this world is, and why he's destined to save this world. In an attempt to have a cliffhanger-like story, the artist leaves out vital details, and instead replaces it with what he thinks people want most- action and fighting. When thinking about it, this manga is sort of a Dragonball Z-type story-- lots of fighting, but no real reason behind it. Villains come and go, each apparently "unique", but the fighting is always drawn out over episodes. It's old, redundant, and is only to buy time.

Thanks for the kind words everyone! Also, if anyone has any critiques, I'm always looking to improve -so feel free to rip into me!

[quote name='RisingZan']Thanks for the kind words everyone! Also, if anyone has any critiques, I'm always looking to improve -so feel free to rip into me![/quote]

I don't read much manga, but commend your art style. My feelings (and vote) echo those of the CAGs who've already posted.

That having been said, the only criticism I feel I noticed was noses; I'm not certain that there was much consistency to whether or not your character's noses were large and round or slim and pointed upwards (with the same people). It's a minor point of grievance, but one I thought I might mention.

myke.
..still, outstanding work overall.

I've only read about half so far, so no vote yet, but I will say that I there are some good reads there to compete with. I think you did a bang up job, so good luck to you.

Nice I voted for ya too. Yours seem likied one of the best ones that was well written and fairly well drawn, but some of those really give you a run for the money in the art department. Your style had a good mix of what seemed like typical eastern and western styles. I think the noses are kinda weird but it seems like part of your particular style so I can deal.

[quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney'][quote name='Moxio'][quote name='JSweeney']I think one of the few other enteries that would give you much trouble is Mail Order Ninja.[/quote]

You seem to be somewhat reasonable, and not quite the average Manga fanboy. Blue Pheonix seems to be the type of manga that bugs me... lots of style, but short on substance. If some reasonable people can be swayed by it, that's all that would need to be added to the normal manga fanboys to push that one over the top.[/quote]

I agree, it does lack substance. It's no doubt my unhealthy obsession of drawing that has my interested in it. Looking back at it, its storyline is poor and drawn out, but the artist uses his drawing skills (apparently lacking the creativity for a good story) as a sort of cover-up. Seed, on the other hand, is well-drawn (in the artist's own style), and the storyline gives you just enough to wonder what their world is like, how they live, and where the robots came from.

Blue Phoenix is basically all fighting. We don't know where Park is from, what a "Phoenix" in this world is, and why he's destined to save this world. In an attempt to have a cliffhanger-like story, the artist leaves out vital details, and instead replaces it with what he thinks people want most- action and fighting. When thinking about it, this manga is sort of a Dragonball Z-type story-- lots of fighting, but no real reason behind it. Villains come and go, each apparently "unique", but the fighting is always drawn out over episodes. It's old, redundant, and is only to buy time.[/quote]

The thing is, Dragonball Z has Dragonball to build off of, and by that time, Son Goku and his friends were known and loved.

That is some sweet shit. My real-life friend is working on one for the next contest, and she's an awesome artist just like you. I'm glad you two didn't enter the same contest, or there'd be some tough competition. Nice work, hope you win.

You have my vote OP, awesome entry.
Anyone else notice is the opening dialogue between the black and white ninjas in "Mail order Ninja" is almost word for word from the Megatron/Optimus prime fight in the transformers movie?

Megatron to Prime: Why throw away your life so recklessly?
Prime: Thats a question you should ask yourself, Megatron.
read page1-2 of MoN you'll see..

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I just realized, it's kind of similar to Nausicca... did that manga influence you at all?[/quote]

Nausicca was actually the first manga I ever read. I guess its influence works its way into a lot of my stuff.

Have you guys ever read Flight Comics? The comic with all the mini-stories of multiple artists collaborations, it's awesome, and reading all those stories reminded me of it. The 2nd volume of Flight is coming out in a couple of weeks, check it out if you already havents. Oh yeah, i great story morgan, you got my vote.

[quote name='twanky']Have you guys ever read Flight Comics? The comic with all the mini-stories of multiple artists collaborations, it's awesome, and reading all those stories reminded me of it. The 2nd volume of Flight is coming out in a couple of weeks, check it out if you already havents. Oh yeah, i great story morgan, you got my vote.[/quote]

Flight is just fantastic stuff! One of the winners from Rising Stars Vol. 4, Amy Kim Ganter, is in Volume 2 of Flight -I can't wait to pick it up!

Thanks for the votes everyone, I'm glad people dig it! :D

bread's done
Back