CAG in The Escapist

Wow, so page 2 really does a good job of painting us a the "Devil Customer" but the article ended nicely talking about the community. Very cool.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I thought the abbreviation "CAGs" was a bad bad around here.[/QUOTE]
I believe you're thinking "CAGer"

Great article. Nice to see CAG get some good press.

For some reason, when they mentioned Cheapy's "secret identity" (real name), I thought of the last scene in "Daredevil." That would have been funny:

(columnist typing):

He is a hero to many. Because of him, those with little money can bask in the glory of great games without emptying their bank accounts. They only know him as CheapyD. But who is he, really? He is a great man with great deals... a man named David Abrams.

(The columnist holds down the backspace key to erase his entire article. He goes outside for a smoke. He sees Cheapy across the street on a rooftop. Cheapy looks at him and asks without words, "Did you expose me?")

Columnist: Go get 'em, David.

(Cheapy smiles and leaps off the rooftop)

Cheapy: IT'S TIME FOR THE CAGCAST... HERE... ON... CHEAP... ASS... GAMER!!!!

Add a good plot to that, and you got a box-office smash. :lol:

While the average Internet-savvy gamer may have showed up at the December Toys 'R' Us clearance sale to pick up Resident Evil 4 for $10, CAGs were there two days before the sale to pick up all the items that were to be marked for clearance, and returned during normal sale days to get the price difference refunded, allowing them to snag the titles they wanted at the prices they wanted without having to deal with the sale-day rush.

Oh horseshit. Very few people did that, and very few people do that in general.

[quote name='mykevermin']Oh horseshit. Very few people did that, and very few people do that in general.[/QUOTE]Are you kidding? I'm personally too lazy to do that, but it seems every decent deal post that's announced a couple of weeks in advance, we get several posters talking about having done it. This is especially true for any of the major chain clearance sales (TRU, CC).

[quote name='E-Z-B']Loved the article. Should this be moved to "CAG in the Press/Media" thread?[/QUOTE]
Moved it to the CAG News forum.

Funny bit at the end, where he mentions the Stink_Pickle/oOSwishaHouseOo incident. :rofl:

Wow. Great article.

Will this cause a big noob-hoarder influx?
Can we keep people with less than a week here out of the deals forum temporarily?

Regarding CAGs vs CAGer...I always thought CAGer was awkward because it would literally mean Cheap Ass Gamerer.

Very nice article, turned out much better than I imagined.

Yes, it's always nice to see new people here. I like reading from new perspectives (and insider knowledge on deals :) ).

Great Article. Yea, at first it looked as if CAG was being brought up as a bad thing. But as you go on im glad CAG Gets the positives it deserves.

Speaking of this, Has anyone seen any other articles like this on sites or in magizines? I remember browsing through an old EGM and seeing CAG, which is how I originally found out about the site. (This was back in Feb/Mar 2005)

Nice article, I liked the fact that they mentioned we are not just out here to get deals to resell. That cheapy mentioned we are here to get deals and play games we would have never tried.

Well written article. I guess the outside-in perspective is that ultimately, CAG is as much about the community as it is being cheap.

A nice read. I've always felt that the sense of community was almost as much a reason for being here as the cheap ass games....ALMOST.

[quote name='nogard']Very nice article. If I didn't find out this site, my ps2 collection would only be aroun 4-5 games.[/QUOTE]

The same is true for me too. My xbox collection wouldn't be half of what it is if I hadn't found the CAG.com site.

I just can't afford "retail" prices for games. Some games just do not live up to their
retail price hype. Paying less makes for a less disapointing experience, and the site has allowed me to find deals on games I never would've played or experienced too.

:applause: Thanks Cheapy D and thanks to anyone who takes the time to post a deal:applause:

My favorite part of the article:

Stealing personal information? Software piracy? Nope. These guys form a gamer network that spans across the United States, working together in the name of - what else? - cheap games. Welcome to CheapAssGamer.com

That article was surprisingly well-written. He didn't try to adopt any sort of gamer-schtick (making it sound like the site would only appeal to hardcore fans of computer games.) He kept the jargon to a minimum and showed some of the practical benefits which anyone who buys games can appreciate.

On a side note, I don't understand why some folks are so worried about an influx of new users. And the suggestions on how to limit access to newcomers...
:roll:

Awesome read! I've been a part of this community for... gosh.. over 2 years now. Scored some great deals, but more importantly, got to know some really great people.

Thanks everyone! Let's keep CAGing! :)

Good read!

Man, I have to say though, the writer of the article forgot to warn potential new-comers that this site is like crack - it'll get to your wallet.

It's funny, we all come here to save money, then end up spending tons more...

That was an excellent read. Reading the article and understanding how CAG got started made me respect this site even more than I already did. The community here is amazing and I'm glad to be a part of it. I wouldn't have gotten half of my games on sale if it weren't for you guys. You guys rock. And I hope this site will continue to be just as popular in the future.

cool article. It's nice to see this site get some recognition. Feels like only yesterday CAG was some "random site I happened to stumble upon" :sheds a tear:

..good times, good times.

I like it, I think it was quite well written. He makes us out to be a bunch of internet deal-seeking heroes. :D That's always nice.

bread's done
Back