CAG in The Escapist

My name was not mentioned anywhere in that article. Weak.

//joking, will actually read it later other than just ctrl-f-ing it :p

While it's true that we have a great community here, the author made it seem like we were on some sort of holy crusade. I'm pretty sure Cheapy was canonized by the end of that IM interview. Saint Cheapy, the Patron Saint Price Matching. :)

I enjoyed the article and enjoy being part of this community. :applause:

I stubbled upon CAG looking for gaming deals and bargins two years ago.

I have never been part of a forum community until CAG and I thank everyone on the site for the great deals, posts and help throughout the first two years.

Can't wait for more great deals and games to play for the next generation.

Wow what a good article for the site.

If this ran in a print magazine there would be a huge influx of new members. I haven't heard the escapists but it was a fair and impartial article.

I really enjoyed the article. I never really post much but have visited CAG for a long time. I have gotten some great deals. Thanks and keep up the good work!!

I didn't care for the article much.

1. The author shouldn't have slipped with CheapyD's real name the way he did.

2. Hoarders get bashed again, but people buying stacks of games for "trade fodder" are given their free pass. It shows the author put no critical thought into the similarities between a hoarder and a trade fodder buyer.

It's a pity he didn't work in the CAGcast, which I find to be a great piece of work, and a way for people to get a feel for the context of CAGdom before jumping on board.

He did make one important point very clear, and that is that the CAG community is unlike any other gaming community on the net (of which there are many); it is certainly the best online community I've ever been a part of.

Now everyone cross your fingers and hope for the best from the onslaught of people being driven to the site from the article who may not adhere (initially) to the CAG codes of honor.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']I didn't care for the article much.

1. The author shouldn't have slipped with CheapyD's real name the way he did.

[/QUOTE]He asked me if it was ok before doing so.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']2. Hoarders get bashed again, but people buying stacks of games for "trade fodder" are given their free pass. It shows the author put no critical thought into the similarities between a hoarder and a trade fodder buyer.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing, but the author described trade fodder as games to trade to other CAGs who couldn't get in on the deal. To me, and I'm sure you, trade fodder is something to build up credit at GS/EB/wherever.

I'm glad cheapy mentioned how alot of people here spend money on games the wouldn't normally buy. I know I'm way more willing to take a chance on a game when it only costs 10 bucks or less.

[quote name='b0bx13']I was thinking the same thing, but the author described trade fodder as games to trade to other CAGs who couldn't get in on the deal. To me, and I'm sure you, trade fodder is something to build up credit at GS/EB/wherever.[/QUOTE]

With that said, both definitions of trade fodder have very little social stigma associated with them compared to "hoarding".

If I buy 50 games at a sale for $250 and resell them for $500 on eBay, I'd best not brag about it here without applying a fresh coat of asbestos to my skin.

If I buy 50 games at a sale for $250 and dump them for $500 store credit, the only CAGs pissed off are the ones who showed to the store after me.

If I buy 50 games at a sale for $250 and trade them to other CAGs for $500 of resellable stuff, I get up to 50 more positive feedback after inconveniencing dozens of CAGs to find my trade list and go through the whole rigmarole of setting up trades.

Before anybody feels the urge to claim the pot is calling the kettle black, I don't expect my actions such as cleaning out a store on the last day of a 2 week sale or buying 1 copy of a highly profitable game every day for a month from a store to be viewed as acceptable, but it is even more ridiculous for these actions to be deemed acceptable by the community just by attaching a FS/FT list.

[quote name='shipwreck']While it's true that we have a great community here, the author made it seem like we were on some sort of holy crusade. I'm pretty sure Cheapy was canonized by the end of that IM interview. Saint Cheapy, the Patron Saint Price Matching. :)[/QUOTE]

Well of course. You should know better, Grand Inquisitor. :lol:

[quote name='CheapyD']He asked me if it was ok before doing so.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you agreed. As nice as the moniker is, by just simply using your real name, it gives an air of credibility to it that wouldn't have been so apparent if "CheapyD" was used.

The only thing that worries me is that I think Penny-Arcade just linked to something in the same issue of the magazine that this story is running in. Hopefully those server upgrades are running as expected. :lol:

But is Dave Abrams just another alias??? An enigma wrapped in a riddle, I just blew some minds!

BTW, nice article, "Dave".

bread's done
Back