CAG Information Systems majors (CIS, MIS, etc.)

JaxMoney

CAGiversary!
Any current, former, or future Computer Information Systems majors here at CAG?

Feel free to introduce yourself, discuss, and even share knowledge on CIS topics such as networking, IT, database... and even courses, jobs/opportunities, events, etc.

I'll do a quick start...

My name is Jackson, but most people call me Jax since the age of 8, and other nicknames such as Jaxor, etc. Currently a CIS major with an option in IT at CSULA. I have about 3 more quarters to go. Budget cuts suck here in California/L.A. County so I've been set back a little. A little worried about post-graduation (applying for jobs/finding work, etc.) but that's normal for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
My names Sean, people have called me Sean since I was born. I wanted to apply for a CSI program but a goof on my form put me in the CIS program. In my spare time I enjoy clipping my toe nails and sipping on OJ (with plenty of ice!). Let's talk computers.

Hi, I'm Aberforth, but nobody calls me Aberforth except me. I'm not a CIS graduate, but I'm an EECS (Electrical Engineering and Computer Science) grad. Am I close enough? Can we still be friends?

You guys are funny, but on a serious note... I was an EE/CE major before too. Guess this thread is a failure

What kind of classes do you need to take as a C.I.S. major? I was thinking of moving into the profession, but not sure what all is involved.

My name is DarkSageRK, but most people call me Sage since the age of 8, and other nicknames such as Darky, etc. Currently a MIS major.

Also, since I'm management information systems, I guess that means I'm like your superior or something. Nice to meet ya.

[quote name='docvinh']What kind of classes do you need to take as a C.I.S. major? I was thinking of moving into the profession, but not sure what all is involved.[/QUOTE]

Usually you have IT (Information Technology) which involves networking, web design, hardware/software, etc. or business systems which is more of database and programming.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']My name is DarkSageRK, but most people call me Sage since the age of 8, and other nicknames such as Darky, etc. Currently a MIS major.

Also, since I'm management information systems, I guess that means I'm like your superior or something. Nice to meet ya.[/QUOTE]

Haha cool

No need for insults, please don't post if not serious as I intend to let this thread die... since it's obviously not going anywhere :roll:

im currently in college for CISS = Computer Information Systems & Security

work as a IT for the school (OLLU)

Planning to go major in Software Engineering after or get my Masters in CIS

I started with CIS, went to work for a small IT consulting company doing onsite work and help desk, finished with a degree in Technical Management. Halfway between CIS courses and MIS courses. I currently work doing Level 3 App Support and various projects for DeVry Inc (the corporate branch of the schools). I like it. Kinda wish I took more high level CIS courses as opposed to Management though.

The awesome thing about DeVry is when you work there, you can become eligible to take classes for free. So maybe I'll take more after all.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']I started with CIS, went to work for a small IT consulting company doing onsite work and help desk, finished with a degree in Technical Management. Halfway between CIS courses and MIS courses. I currently work doing Level 3 App Support and various projects for DeVry Inc (the corporate branch of the schools). I like it. Kinda wish I took more high level CIS courses as opposed to Management though.

The awesome thing about DeVry is when you work there, you can become eligible to take classes for free. So maybe I'll take more after all.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Congrats

When I was in college, I started the CS route. Decided against it 3 semesters in (god I hate discrete mathematics) and switch to MIS (i have my minor in CS). Since then I build and support a healthcare application for my company.

[quote name='ZerotypeX']Sounds like an interesting career path. How long is school usually (4 years?)[/QUOTE]

Yep.

Been out 2 years with my BBA in CIS for forensics... Still working on the cash to get my certifications so I can even start looking for a job. Otherwise it's IT hell until then.

[quote name='JaxMoney']Usually you have IT (Information Technology) which involves networking, web design, hardware/software, etc. or business systems which is more of database and programming.

Haha cool

No need for insults, please don't post if not serious as I intend to let this thread die... since it's obviously not going anywhere :roll:[/QUOTE]

Interesting, is there a lot of math classes that need to be taken?

[quote name='ZerotypeX']I'm guessing the job field for this is not that lucrative/over-saturated now?[/QUOTE]

It really depends on the economy, location and what your specialty is. I'm stuck in a small town, with only IT options open to me sadly.

[quote name='docvinh']Interesting, is there a lot of math classes that need to be taken?[/QUOTE]

More than likely not, with discrete mathematics as the worst you'd have to take.

I just graduated with a MIS degree

Fact: I kinda wish I would have gotten a different, harder degree. Why? Because the jobs I wanted (analyst jobs) require a lot of experience. So, I had to settle for an IT type position in hopes of moving to an analyst position

Fiction: It's oversaturated. Nope. Just remember...certificates > grad school. Sounds weird, but, after you graduate with a BSBA, skip grad school and work on getting certified. I've had too many professors tell me this so I believe them

And remember this - even though we don't program like computer science majors...try to learn that crap. I wish I tried harder....a few jobs got passed up because my programming skills are at -1 right now

bread's done
Back