CAG Kung Fu Question ( for all Martial Arts experts)

LeviathynX

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have been taking Hung Gar Kung Fu for about a month or so. I used to take Goju Okinawan Karate, so the adjustment is huge. Anyways, the problem I have is that in my studio, the students partcapate in full contact non-padded sparring. About a week ago one of my friends there had his ribs broken in sparring. So I suppose the question is do I need to move on from this studio?
The idea behind it is that in Kung Fu they believe in Iron body. This is achieved (from what I have been told) by acclimating the body to various levels of pain. In taking a punch I suppose the idea is to help you take a hit and not be knocked out. What are some of the opinions of my fellow cheap asses out there? I'm thinking about asking the Senior brother if this is a required part of the curriculum as I am getting older and not healing as well as some of you whipper snappers. Plus, I'm a teacher so if I'm seriously injured, it hurts my career too! Any help you have toioffer would be fantastic!

Most people who go all out when they are younger and do full contact stuff without properly taking care of their bodies severly pay for it when they get older. Yeah, it's all nice to have an Iron Body now...but in 10-20 years that Iron Body is going to seize up and you'll need a walker by age 45.

There are plenty of martial arts out there. Just find one that's right for you. Obviously this one is not. You have too much to lose to fully apply yourself to this one. Try and find another that you can dedicate yourself to that won't risk your career.

I took martial arts for about 9 years. I held (or I guess still hold) a black belt in my style. But I would never participate in non-padded sparring. You're just asking for trouble.

Anyone who gives you the whole "you need to get used to it" crap is full of it.

[quote name='lordwow']I took martial arts for about 9 years. I held (or I guess still hold) a black belt in my style. But I would never participate in non-padded sparring. You're just asking for trouble.

Anyone who gives you the whole "you need to get used to it" crap is full of it.[/QUOTE]Yeah, while I don't have the same experience, I don't think I'd go in for a place where you can end up injured outside of bruises or cuts. If this kind of thing is a regular occurance, it seems really irresponsible on the part of the teacher, frankly.

So should I just stop going or should I maybe talk to the senior brother there first? I agree. I know there is the philosophy of iron shirt/body but there are some risks not worth thaking. I would be ok if it was a spar match between an experienced senior brother (sensei) but it was actually sparring between two students. One was a black belt and the other a green belt. It was regulated by the sensei but he was not a participant.

I've studied a few styles myself and am currently learning Jujitsu. Injuries happen in any strenuous sport, but you shouldn't be asking for them.

I firmly believe in the benefits of contact sparring, but you need the protective gear. Sparring isn't about figuring out how much punishment you can take, it's about adapting the techniques you've learned into a situation with a real opponent.

Find another class. Don't be afraid of contact, but in any training class where the sparring partners regularly go at greater than 50% with no pads, walk away.

[quote name='LeviathynX']So should I just stop going or should I maybe talk to the senior brother there first? I agree. I know there is the philosophy of iron shirt/body but there are some risks not worth thaking. I would be ok if it was a spar match between an experienced senior brother (sensei) but it was actually sparring between two students. One was a black belt and the other a green belt. It was regulated by the sensei but he was not a participant.[/quote]
I just wouldn't go anymore. Talk to the senior brother there, and respectfully let him know that it is just not for you. More likely than not, even if you get permission not to spar, you won't be getting the full feel for that martial art. The others probably won't take you as seriously as well, because they won't think that you are taking the martial art seriously.

How iron body can you be if you're limping home after practice, and that's when you get mugged? You just spent all your good health practicing something that you won't be able to use because you are now injured!

I've heard of schools like this, but most of them (that I know of) are now extinct. It was really big in the 70's, but then they realized that all of the old Master's are now useless and hunching over a cane. Medical science and kinesiology studies have changed a lot of minds about how to perform martial arts.

How is your teacher in terms of health and physical well being?

I'm just saying, there's a belief that the damage builds up...how long has your teacher practiced iron body?

Mind you, every single thing I know about martial arts comes from a decade of martial arts movies...but it's pretty logical, if your teacher is "okay", there is a legitimate chance you'll be okay

However, as a girl, oh god I'd be so scared, I want to go train to feel better and learn more about myself, not get beat up!

Maybe you should practice Kyokugen instead = )

If you have your doubts, you should let others know. Sparring with that on your conscience will greatly after your performance. I can see that you're concerned with getting seriously injured, which is one reason why martial arts are easier to get into at a younger age. A lot of studios wont allow you to spar without padding, unless you are at a higher degree. That would keep some of the beginners less liable to injure you, as well.
If you cant come to come sort of agreement, you might want to consider taking up another, softer form.

This could happen...to you, grasshopper.

pwnedab3.gif

I don't think any opinions you garner from this website are going to effect your decision nearly as much as actually getting punched, kicked, elbowed, and kneed a few times. Getting head-butted or socked right in the nuts? Yep, THAT will tell you in a hurry just how dedicated you are to this studio.

The proof is in the pudding, man. And the pudding is what will be leaking slowly out of your fighting pajamas after your sensei shows you what dedication is all about.
URL%5D

[quote name='Quillion']I've studied a few styles myself and am currently learning Jujitsu. Injuries happen in any strenuous sport, but you shouldn't be asking for them.

I firmly believe in the benefits of contact sparring, but you need the protective gear. Sparring isn't about figuring out how much punishment you can take, it's about adapting the techniques you've learned into a situation with a real opponent.

Find another class. Don't be afraid of contact, but in any training class where the sparring partners regularly go at greater than 50% with no pads, walk away.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. Well said.

Hung gar is a pretty no-nonsense style, but full-contact, no-padding is beyond the pale, even for them. That school seems out of joint, but it's possible it's more an issue with the students than what's generally the case.

[quote name='trq']Bingo. Well said.

Hung gar is a pretty no-nonsense style, but full-contact, no-padding is beyond the pale, even for them. That school seems out of joint, but it's possible it's more an issue with the students than what's generally the case.[/QUOTE]Turns out it's taught by this guy.
scarykreese1fa.jpg

There are many different schools out there with different teaching styles. It's important that you change schools if you don't like the way that your current one is handling this.

Personally, I love non-padded sparring. My karate dojo was very traditional (sensei had just come back from Japan and forgot that he needed to Americanize his dojo, lol) and supposedly, in Japan, they don't wear pads. It teaches you control (you still want to make sure the other person feels a nice sting and maybe get a good bruise from the strike but you don't want to kill them so you learn how to distinguish between a little kid and a huge 200 lb guy). Also, if you get hit and it hurts, you learn not to get hit in that same way again, lol.

Most people who practice martial arts in the states aren't serious. That's why so many schools are Americanized. Most people just can't stand limping out of practice or dealing with the stress of "serious" classes here and I completely understand why. I'm not against it at all but like I said, you need to find an instructor that suits your needs. Personally, martial arts has always been and will always be a way of life for me. If it wasn't for my heart condition, I wouldn't have gone to Berkeley and instead would have headed straight to Asia after high school to study martial arts (and go kill a lot of brain cells by getting hit a lot, hehe). I wish there were more places where the instructor would demonstrate that I'm in an incorrect stance by tripping me (and therefore showing that I'm not correctly balanced or whatever), who forces me to hit the makiwara, and who isn't afraid to punch me hard enough that it hurts and I have a nice bruise for a week (but not that I end up in the hospital) to show that I need to learn how to block more often.

Okay, I didn't sleep at all last night and I had class all day today so I'm probably not making sense. Gonna shut up now.

Vietgurl made a good point. There are two ways to think about non-padded sparring. 1) With control and discipline and with your partners' health in mind. But also with their training in mind, realizing that if you don't make it serious enough, then they aren't really training realistically, and therefore wasting their time. Coming home with a bruise on your side, or on your ego from being tripped by the instructor, is a useful and non-severe lesson.

The second way sounds like what the OP was describing, where people just go all out with very little regard for their partners' safety in mind. If someone comes out with a few broken ribs, then that, to me, is obviously not keeping safety in mind.

The first situation I would deem as OK. Because you aren't in any real danger, just perceived danger. But everyone is practicing control. The second just sounds like a fight club, more or less.

It's also important to remember that even with padding, serious injuries can occur. Fully padded and protected sparring still has to have everything in the first situation described. I've seen many people severely injured while in full sparring gear because proper control was not executed.

So keep that in mind too when looking for another place to practice. Safety and learning should be the top priorities at the school, not winning.

Iron Body through non-padded sparring? I guess the idea sounds good but it doesn't really make sense.

Say I am a flimsy person, fresh out of learning a few forms and ready for sparring. I will not be... sporting a big iron body. Instead, I will get beat down to the ground.

I've heard of iron body training... getting beaten up isn't a way to achieve it. Find another studio.

[quote name='vietgurl']There are many different schools out there with different teaching styles. It's important that you change schools if you don't like the way that your current one is handling this.

Personally, I love non-padded sparring. My karate dojo was very traditional (sensei had just come back from Japan and forgot that he needed to Americanize his dojo, lol) and supposedly, in Japan, they don't wear pads. It teaches you control (you still want to make sure the other person feels a nice sting and maybe get a good bruise from the strike but you don't want to kill them so you learn how to distinguish between a little kid and a huge 200 lb guy). Also, if you get hit and it hurts, you learn not to get hit in that same way again, lol.

Most people who practice martial arts in the states aren't serious. That's why so many schools are Americanized. Most people just can't stand limping out of practice or dealing with the stress of "serious" classes here and I completely understand why. I'm not against it at all but like I said, you need to find an instructor that suits your needs. Personally, martial arts has always been and will always be a way of life for me. If it wasn't for my heart condition, I wouldn't have gone to Berkeley and instead would have headed straight to Asia after high school to study martial arts (and go kill a lot of brain cells by getting hit a lot, hehe). I wish there were more places where the instructor would demonstrate that I'm in an incorrect stance by tripping me (and therefore showing that I'm not correctly balanced or whatever), who forces me to hit the makiwara, and who isn't afraid to punch me hard enough that it hurts and I have a nice bruise for a week (but not that I end up in the hospital) to show that I need to learn how to block more often.

Okay, I didn't sleep at all last night and I had class all day today so I'm probably not making sense. Gonna shut up now.[/QUOTE]

You're completely right -- lots of schools have lots of different takes on the situation. There are other factors that could be clarified, too: is it continuous, or one-step/two-step sparring? Big difference. Same with "unpadded." Do you mean "without a chest protector" or "without gloves"? Again, big difference.

On the other hand, while I don't think one should be bundled up like the Micheline Man to spar, the injuries you're inevitably going to sustain from completely unpadded sparring are going to keep you from doing what you went there to do: learn. Not only did that guy who got his rib broken not learn anything by it, he's not going to be leaning anything from any class, for the next six to eight weeks.

Non-padded sparring isn't really any more indicitive of a "real fight" either, since it's not like you can exercise your more dangerous techniques anyway: can't really do much to "pad" an eye-gouge or a knee stomp, after all.

So ... I don't know. I know lots of people who pound away on the makiwara, and I used to do tons of three-finger and knuckle hop push ups when I was training, but I never got much out of that except fucked up fingers. I think there's that important difference between training smarter instead of harder, and this sounds like it veers more towards "harder." Your milage may vary, of course.

If it's still relevant in a couple days, I'll ask my buddy who essentially "assistant teaches" Hung ha what he makes of the situation.

I really appreciate it. to answer your question, it is completely unpadded, full speed drills. The senior brother will set limitations sometimes. For example, we were doing ground fighting drills with no strikes, only grapples and arm locks. However, the same guy who broke my friend's ribs ended up almost breaking this other guy's ankle when he was wrapping his feet behind the guy for a reverse headlock. The senior brother was watching but not intervening. It pains me too because I love Shaolin Kung Fu. This is the only studio. The only thing else we have here is Tae Kwan Do.

So. As per my promise, I showed the thread to my buddy, and his response is as follows:

"How long has your friend been training? Just curious.

Unpadded, full speed drills are fine. These drills should be worked out so that there is minimal ability to get a training brother seriously injured from the practice of said drill alone. That's what all drills are supposed to do: teach you how to move and strike effectively. So, if people are constanly getting injured during drills, then the sifu should fix one of two things: either the drill, or how people are practicing it.

Groundwork isn't part of Hung Gar training, and I have nothing else to say about that AT ALL.

My opinion is that an elder training brother shouldn't be there to hurt his younger training brothers, and if he was my elder training brother and hurt me in a such a cowardly way, I'd be slicing his ass up after class for certain.

My opinion is that if guys want to compete in a full contact environment, then they should do so. COMPETE in a sanctioned environment where the other combatants are as skilled or even moreso than you are. Don't try and hurt your training brothers in SPARRING… try and teach them. That's what SPARRING is about. Now, does that mean you go extra light on them? Depends on their level of training. But, even with the more experienced fighters in the school, contact shouldn't be at full more than a couple of times a year, and that's only when training to for a full contact bout.
The more people one hurts in training, then the less people he has to train with. Simple as that. This ass-hat is running around fuckin' everyone up, and soon he will have no one left. If he's that good, send him to the lei tai where he can fight better fighters. And, if he does well there, then he should sign a contract and turn pro in the Sanda cicuit.

I've been training for about 4 years in this same style, and can tell you that I've seen a lot of sparring go down, and I've competed full contact, and NOBODY I know would condone SPARRING full contact WITH NO GEAR. Why? It's just dumb.

Boxers, kickboxers, Thai Kickboxers, and most full contact fighters still spar with gear.
So, why shouldn't this school?

Are they really better than averyone else? I don't think so."

Hope that helps.

I appreciate the help. I have a profound respect for Hung Gar Kung Fu and Iron Shirt to a certain extent. I'm going through a martial arts mid-life crisis. This is the only style of Kung Fu available in this area. Everything else is TKD and I cannot bring myself to study it. I think both instances were mistakes, because while the brother involved was a high level, he is tsill very young (18). Do you think I should talk with the sifu about it or wash my hands of it?

[quote name='LeviathynX']I appreciate the help. I have a profound respect for Hung Gar Kung Fu and Iron Shirt to a certain extent. I'm going through a martial arts mid-life crisis. This is the only style of Kung Fu available in this area. Everything else is TKD and I cannot bring myself to study it. I think both instances were mistakes, because while the brother involved was a high level, he is tsill very young (18). Do you think I should talk with the sifu about it or wash my hands of it?[/quote]
What's wrong with the TKD school?

I guess nothing's wrong with the TKD school. It is something personal to overcome as the many dojos in which I have trained have often made fun of TKD. I guess that may have given me an unfounded opinion of that particular form of martial art. What do you think about it Guy?

Man, the schools in your area are messed up--full contact sparring w/o gear and making fun of other martial arts forms? Since you're the one paying, your personal safety and peace of mind come first. If you're uncomfortable, you've got to move on.

[quote name='LeviathynX']I appreciate the help. I have a profound respect for Hung Gar Kung Fu and Iron Shirt to a certain extent. I'm going through a martial arts mid-life crisis. This is the only style of Kung Fu available in this area. Everything else is TKD and I cannot bring myself to study it. I think both instances were mistakes, because while the brother involved was a high level, he is tsill very young (18). Do you think I should talk with the sifu about it or wash my hands of it?[/QUOTE]

In my opinion, I'd say you should mention it to the sifu. If he sees what happened as a problem and is taking steps to make sure it's an abberation, that's a good sign. If he takes the ol' "So? That's how REAL martial arts are taught" stance, you should get out: if it happened once, it's gonna happen again. This ain't Karate Kid, and you don't need to risk getting crippled so you can prove you're Certified Badass.

[quote name='LeviathynX']I guess nothing's wrong with the TKD school. It is something personal to overcome as the many dojos in which I have trained have often made fun of TKD. I guess that may have given me an unfounded opinion of that particular form of martial art. What do you think about it Guy?[/quote]
I personally can see benefit in many martial arts.

Personally I love TKD. I know a lot of the things which people make fun of TKD, however most of them are just not true or just ignorant of the sport. (And ignorant is not meant as an insult)

I would love to hear what you've heard. And be brutally honest, it won't bother me. :)

jmcc: it's both actually. I need to exercise as well as learn to defend myself.

About TKD, mostly that's a worthless application of MA, it's acrobatics, it's MA for kids etc. Please don't flame me as this is not how I feel, merely what's been said to me. The sifu always says this (kung fu) is not karate. Karate is down the street (i.e. pay for your belt). I keep getting flashbacks to cobra kai maybe?

[quote name='LeviathynX']jmcc: it's both actually. I need to exercise as well as learn to defend myself.

About TKD, mostly that's a worthless application of MA, it's acrobatics, it's MA for kids etc. Please don't flame me as this is not how I feel, merely what's been said to me. The sifu always says this (kung fu) is not karate. Karate is down the street (i.e. pay for your belt). I keep getting flashbacks to cobra kai maybe?[/quote]

TKD is an excellent method to build bodily control and discipline. It is not great as a form of self defense. Just depends on what you're going for.

Your sifu; however, should encourage you to study other styles. My sensei certainly does. He invites us to bring knowledge back to class and then discusses it with us. Remember the Book of Five Rings from the Void Scroll: "In order to master the Way of Strategy, you must study the other martial arts, and you must not abandon the Way of the warrior at all."

[quote name='LeviathynX']jmcc: it's both actually. I need to exercise as well as learn to defend myself.

About TKD, mostly that's a worthless application of MA, it's acrobatics, it's MA for kids etc. Please don't flame me as this is not how I feel, merely what's been said to me. The sifu always says this (kung fu) is not karate. Karate is down the street (i.e. pay for your belt). I keep getting flashbacks to cobra kai maybe?[/quote]
No, I'm not going to flame you. I specifically asked so that I can educate.

The typical complaint is that it's not applicable to real life, which is pretty much B.S. Most of the people who say that don't typically know enough about TKD to make that claim, and most just hear others say that, then start to think it themselves instead of actually educating themselves and finding out.

There is a great deal of animosity towards TKD, typically more that towards any other martial art. Tai Chi probably gets teased a lot as well. I think part of the reason is because of the popularity of TKD. And no, I'm not trying to act like a high schooler saying that people hate TKD because it's popular. :) But it is more well known than many other types of martial arts, and thus receives a lot of attention from people, both good and bad.

Going along with that, since it is popular, you get a great mix of people signing up for TKD. This includes people who actually want to participate in the martial art, and others who are just there to say that they know TKD. The latter are the ones that help give TKD a bad name, because they are concentrated on belt testing and rank rather than the actual martial art. I'm including the many many kids that are signed up for TKD by their parents and don't really get a grasp on it. Although I've seen many kids that understand it deeper than a lot of adults.

Disclaimer for the next part of my post:
I am only speaking from experience from my school. It is a very diverse school and yet it is very traditional. I also have experience from other TKD schools (and martial arts), but please keep in mind that your mileage and experiences may vary.

So going along with the practicality talk, I will say this...you get as much out of TKD as you put into it. This is very very true for TKD. The thing that I love about TKD is that you can incorporate many other martial arts into your TKD training as a supplement. Many people think of martial arts as completely different from one another. So you either do TKD and learn one thing or do another martial art and learn another. They don't realize that there is extreme overlap of material in many martial arts. You do a kick in one martial art, chances are if there are kicks in another martial art there is at least a variation of that same kick.

One thing TKD gets picked on a lot for is our kicks and forms. Most say kicks are impractical and a waste of time, and that you'll never use a kick in a fight. But I can almost guarantee you that if I can get a side kick into the side of someone's knee, they're going to be done. Another thing you have to think about is what is practical and what makes it practical? If you train a kick over and over using real life situations, then it becomes natural to you and becomes as practical as a punch.

When talking about forms, they seem very impractical and stupid on the surface, I will admit. There's a whole sub-philosophy behind forms that I won't get into because this post is already running really long as it is. Suffice to say that once you really start studying the forms and the meanings hidden within and the lessons you can learn by the most basic form, it becomes much more than what it seems on the surface. The second thing I will say about forms is that they are also the more art form of the martial art. And practicing something to make it perfect and learning something new about the form each time you practice it, and making the form your own is something that cannot really be described. I know that sounds really stupid, but this is the part of what I'm talking about with people who don't actually apply themselves to TKD.

TKD is more of a martial art than others. For instance, one could argue that a school that teaches nothing but fighting and sparring is not a martial art because there is no artistic portion of it. Martial arts are technically supposed to be about bettering yourself. Some may argue that the self defense applications you learn during martial arts is just a benefit of that growing process...wow that sounds really hippy-ish.

I could go on much longer on all the self defense applications that we do, but I've typed too much already.

Anyway, I will say that if you apply yourself to TKD you will get much more out of it as a whole than you will with many other martial arts.

As for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu I think it's a great sport. I have wanted to take it to supplement my TKD as I have learned quite a few things that cross over between the two. However, as it is here, BJJ is mainly a ground fighting/grappling sport. It is true that many if not most fights end up on the ground, but if I can end the fight before it comes to that, for me, that would be preferable. I believe that you should have at least some on your feet training to deal with the situation before it hits the ground and to become a more well-rounded martial artist.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I think part of the reason is because of the popularity of TKD.[/QUOTE]

I'd say this is the core of the problem, in a nutshell. TKD is a prefectly fine art; it IS the single most common MA available in the US today, though, and that makes it hard to avoid "McDojo" syndrome, where eight-year-olds have black belts, classes are forty people thick, and sporting applications are presented as "real life" applications.

In short, it's the level of the instruction -- not the art -- that causes the bad rep. If BJJ schools were as common as TKD schools (and they're getting there ...), you'd see the same kind of reaction, because you'd have instructors neglecting to ever train strikes or forgetting that grappling generally sucks against multiple attackers, or whatever.

bread's done
Back