CAG Mobile Site

daphatty

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
I remember a while back (about two years ago) that we had a WAP enabled version of the site. That no longer seems to be the case, correct? I would LOVE having a simple text only version of CAG. I can't tell you how many times I've needed/wanted to look up a deal on these boards while shopping at B&M stores only to be disuaded (?) by the long load times and incompatible site layout.

Google and Engadget have great mobile versions of their sites. I need to get some screenshot software on my mobile phone so I can show you what I mean.

-Phatty
Posted from my (hacked) Cingular 8525 via T-Mobile.

[quote name='daphatty']I would LOVE having a simple text only version of CAG. I can't tell you how many times I've needed/wanted to look up a deal on these boards while shopping at B&M stores only to be disuaded (?) by the long load times and incompatible site layout.[/quote]

Agree completely. CAG is very slow and unwieldy on my Moto Q/IE Mobile. The "archive" link is better (although it seems the thread listing doesn't match the "most recent post" order on the regular site), but logging in each time is tedious, and posting takes you back to a main site page so you're back to slow and atrocious formatting.

Slickdeals has a great mobile site: it let me choose to remain signed in, and I can quickly browse threads, search, and post. When it comes to games, my preference is to use CAG for both reading posts and contributing - but my inability to do so via my mobile unfortunately means that more and more of my game deal site use is going to Slickdeals.

Cheapy, please let us know if (or better, when) CAG will address this need.

Thx

Just got my Verizon LG-10000 (Voyager) Thursday. Tried CNN.COM and Cheapass gamer.com For some reason I couldn't see the *log in* fields nor could I see the pull down menus. Ad's and other graphics would be a bandwidth hogger and could end up being pricey when the bill comes. I do have the VCast pack trial for 30 days and they claim it's unlimited bandwidth but I heard they do cap things and charge an insane amount for data usage.

What would be involved in having a toned down version of cag for people on mobile webs so we can check out deals and prices in the stores instead of having 10+ page print outs?

[quote name='yukine']I think the fields are javascript, maybe the phone doesn't support it or you need enable it?[/quote]

Just checked over at phone scoop at my phone is BREW and it says

"component of BREW competes with J2ME, a Java technology from Sun Microsystems. BREW and Java are generally not compatible.":bomb:

oh well.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Just checked over at phone scoop at my phone is BREW and it says

"component of BREW competes with J2ME, a Java technology from Sun Microsystems. BREW and Java are generally not compatible.":bomb:

oh well.[/quote]
Javascript and java are two different things...

I did a little searching and found a post on howardforums.com about someone that got "Javascript not enabled" on his voyager. Changing the browser settings for display rendering to optimized web worked for him.

[quote name='mguiddy']Javascript and java are two different things...

I did a little searching and found a post on howardforums.com about someone that got "Javascript not enabled" on his voyager. Changing the browser settings for display rendering to optimized web worked for him.[/quote]

thanks... I looked into it and got it to work..Because I am near my computer and in the house it's fairly slow, but I am assuming that once I am out in the open and signal strength is a lot better then it will be much faster. Look forward to a mobile web version of CAG one day.

Is their a mobile device rendering of CAG? I noticed if I do a Google search some of the URLs come up with [Mobile/Archive] in the title. If there is (besides the archives) what is the url to access?

You can invest in a sidekick (I suggest the LX for its wicked screen). The site works perfectly, as far as I can tell, on the sidekick lx. The sidekick 3 worked too, though it was a little slow, and the pages all f-ed up. Though mobile versions of sites tend to look asolutely perfect on them.

Franky

Myspace has a whole new mobile thing that any phone w/ a browser can access.
Go to m.myspace.com on your phone. It works really well.

I would love for CAG to go similar like this. I don't know much about this stuff, but would it be expensive for CAG to make a site like that...?

[quote name='CheapyD']There will be a mobile friendly version of the forums in the near future.[/quote]

YES!!!
Thank you CheapyD!!!!

I've been informed that the first mobile version will be for iPhone and iPod Touch users only.
A more general mobile version will come later.

[quote name='CheapyD']I've been informed that the first mobile version will be for iPhone and iPod Touch users only.
A more general mobile version will come later.[/quote]

Wait what?

I thought you programmed the site.

[quote name='CheapyD']I've been informed that the first mobile version will be for iPhone and iPod Touch users only.
A more general mobile version will come later.[/QUOTE]

I will never get anything done ever again. Oh boy.

A more general mobile version will come later.[/QUOTE]

Awesome. I can't wait!

[quote name='anomynous']The click here to use site optimized for iphone is up there, but when I touch it it doesn't do anything[/quote]

I was just doing some testing, the link should be gone now.

Edit: It's back up again, the iPhone/iPod style should be working.

Can you add a user cp or subscribed threads link?

Also, quotes are in Spainish. Not a big deal, it just says quote de zewone for example.

[quote name='zewone']Can you add a user cp or subscribed threads link?

Also, quotes are in Spainish. Not a big deal, it just says quote de zewone for example.[/quote]
Fixed. (I believe the original style this was based on was in Spanish, so there might be a few other phrases that haven't been translated - let me know if you come across any more.)

As for the user CP/subscribed threads sections, I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='zewone']Another thing, anyway to add a quote button for posts?

Thanks.[/quote]

Unfortunately the stripped down iPod style only uses quick reply for posting, adding quotes would mean reworking the advanced posting features to fit the simplified style. (A lot of hassle.) If you need quote support, you're probably better off switching to the normal version for the post, then switching back to the iPod style when you're done. (Using the links back and forward should remember your location on the forums.)

[quote name='Liquid 2']How does the Iphone layout distinguish whether or not you're using an Iphone?[/quote]

It doesn't switch you to the iPhone style by default, but when you're viewing using an iPhone or an iPod a link appears in the forum header:

iphone-1.jpg

Once you click that, it switches you to the iPhone style.

iphone-2.jpg

this is literally the best thing ever. Thanks cheapyd and john!

one thing i noticed was that if the text is specifically put in another color, (i.e. white) you can't read it on the background

this would look the same on these forums but on mobile you can't read it

AWESOME. sorry for the immediate double posting. It worked!
I can def see how this is a work in progress but so far rhis is awesome!

bread's done
Back