CAGcast #118: Wombat's Bad Fact Day

To me the Greenberg statements are all about false promises. Sony's out right lies helped kill the Dreamcast. The PS2 was not a far superior machine graphically, had no online play, yet the Sony hype machine helped keep developers off the platform.

Africa, WTF is this and when is it coming out? "Our online is free", yet we have no ingame XMB, no chat across games, no friend invites across games, BUT IT's FREE!!!

Everyone moaned when Microsoft only showed games coming out in 2007 at E3, with a few exceptions, everything did come out. Sony made a lot of promises, created hype, downplayed Microsoft because of the hype, yet left their base unfulfilled, because the hype and promises were false. Microsoft preview day, titles coming out this year. Sony's preview day, some titles this year, some early next year, we shall see.

That is the only argument here Wombat. Greenberg didn't say anything about the quality or quantity of Sony's offerings, just that they basically have a big mouth, and maybe someday they will actually deliver on what they, in a timely fashion.

This CAGcast would have been been better named something along the lines of "Praise the 360". Wombat may have been off on facts, but if you don't take them as facts so much as general ideas, you get his meaning. "Bioshock didn't sell well" -> "As well as it should have, given how great of a game it was."

With the Greenburg statements, Wombat just showed how irrelevant some of those things are now that we're further into the console life. In the end, I think they're both right. Sony never delivered on alot of promises, but given the current state, those aren't that big of a deal anymore.

Finally, in regards to meeting expectations, the 360 is the farthest from delivering an experience I find worthwhile. Granted, this is mostly from my preference in games. Almost all games worth playing on a 360, you can find multi-platform or on the PC. And even then again, given the history, I expect games like Gears of War 2 and Halo 3 to find their way to PC eventually, so they can barely even be considered exclusive now.

I'm not sure I'd listen to the podcast without Wombat on it. He really seems to be the 'balance' of the show, while Cheapy keeps it moving along. However, CheapyD and Wombat's varying opinions are what make the podcast what it is.

[quote name='Wombat']I guess the point I was trying to make, was that Bioshock was one of the best, if not the best reviewed game of the year, yet alot of crappy games sold alot better than it did, it just didn't come out of my mouth that way, just look at some the games that sold above it on this list http://next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=9639
Thats the point I was saying, good games or bad games does not always equal the sales chart, i just didn't say it the way i wanted to[/quote]

Well when you put it that way there isn't anybody that would disagree with you. I was alarmed by the article at first but then again, I've kinda realized this industry has been relying on sequels and crappy license games since the SNES day if not earlier. :whistle2:|

[quote name='orko60']I was having this problem as well. What you have to do is get out your credit card statement, and make sure that the case (capitals and lower case) matches EXACTLY to the ones you're putting onto PSN. I think I ended up making mine all caps, and it worked. Apparently they switched systems to something super-sensitive to case. Very annoying, but once it's set up, you can download away from the PSN. PixelJunk Monsters is amazing![/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to work, either. From my bank statement, it seems it's in all caps, but that didn't work. Neither did adding the +4 to the zip code that seemed to work for another of my friends. Of course, if it doesn't like what you've entered once, you have to wait more or less a day because if you try too many times in a day, you'll be rejected regardless.

I've tried everything I can think of, including now trying capitalization stuff and it still says it's invalid. I guess the only thing to look forward to here is that I plan on buying a real house in the near future, so maybe then there'll be hope, but really, after all of this mess, I'm pretty soured on the Sony store...

/tk

The reason it takes Sony a long time to do anything is because they have something called "product testing." Which is obviously MSFT doesn't have with all their RROD systems. ;)

And to comment on Greenburg's comments, what company has delivered on all their promises? And How does he know that Blu-ray's haven't made better games? How does he know that people haven't bought PS3's as blu-ray players due to the war being over? I Don't think Sony ever promised all that on-line stuff at launch. And the reason Sony showed all that stuff last year was due to all the negative press around the PS3 that they had to say something to get people excited again. Which they learned this year, as the toned down that stuff.

And I agree with Wombat on the Resistance/Gears argument. That Killzone trailer was more of a tech demo than a release trailer, just like Eight Days.

And I agree with Wombat on the PSN over Xbox Live Arcade. A person might prefer one over the other, but to say one is light years beyond is agree. I personally love the fact I can buy exactly what I want for the exact price I want. None of this buying 1600 point crap, buying something and having 400 points left. With the PSN. I charge 7.99, buy the thing for 7.99 and it's done.

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']The reason it takes Sony a long time to do anything is because they have something called "product testing." Which is obviously MSFT doesn't have with all their RROD systems. ;)

And to comment on Greenburg's comments, what company has delivered on all their promises? And How does he know that Blu-ray's haven't made better games? How does he know that people haven't bought PS3's as blu-ray players due to the war being over? I Don't think Sony ever promised all that on-line stuff at launch. And the reason Sony showed all that stuff last year was due to all the negative press around the PS3 that they had to say something to get people excited again. Which they learned this year, as the toned down that stuff.

And I agree with Wombat on the Resistance/Gears argument. That Killzone trailer was more of a tech demo than a release trailer, just like Eight Days.

And I agree with Wombat on the PSN over Xbox Live Arcade. A person might prefer one over the other, but to say one is light years beyond is agree. I personally love the fact I can buy exactly what I want for the exact price I want. None of this buying 1600 point crap, buying something and having 400 points left. With the PSN. I charge 7.99, buy the thing for 7.99 and it's done.[/quote]

I really felt that Cheapy has gone more and more supportive of the Xbox system, where else Wombat has been more defensive of the PS3 (also the more neutral of any console).

It's really sad to see this, yes the PSN does have its setback but the Xbox has its list of problems too. I do hope CHeapy will try to take a more neutral stand on the issues of the consoles.

Enough with the MS points not matching the cost of the games. So what do you do when your throwing a BBQ? Complain about how the number of hot dogs in a package never matches the buns and demand to speak with the manager? One could even make the case that the MS points cards are better as alot of CAG's have been able to find deals on the cards that in effect lower the cost of the games. When a game on PSN is $10 your paying $10.

When Sony gets around to getting PSN cards into stores maybe we can find deals on those as well. Even with the cards most people are likey to end up with excess PSN credit as the cards will not always match the games.

[quote name='terpkristin']Thanks for the suggestion, but that doesn't seem to work, either. From my bank statement, it seems it's in all caps, but that didn't work. Neither did adding the +4 to the zip code that seemed to work for another of my friends. Of course, if it doesn't like what you've entered once, you have to wait more or less a day because if you try too many times in a day, you'll be rejected regardless.

I've tried everything I can think of, including now trying capitalization stuff and it still says it's invalid. I guess the only thing to look forward to here is that I plan on buying a real house in the near future, so maybe then there'll be hope, but really, after all of this mess, I'm pretty soured on the Sony store...

/tk[/quote]
Are you putting your apt# on the same line as your street address?

[quote name='AVSForum']I had this problem for the longest time. If your address has an "apt" number it must go on the same line as your street address. All one line, is how it worked for me.[/quote]

CheapyD, while listening to the last CAGCast I heard you talking about wanting to make some dietary and lifestyle changes. Maybe we could get something going on CAG here, some sort of a fitness challenge. This could be a support group of sorts for gamers who want to lead a healthier lifestyle. The delemia I face is that I have different circles of friends and none of these circles really completely understand my situation. My gamer friends can not understand why it takes me so long to get through different games when I am working out regularly, and my friends that are heavy into fitness do not understand why my workouts slack off when I get into games like Grand Theft Auto IV, BioShock, or UnCharted: Drakes Fortune.

Maybe even set a date a few months down the road and we submit before and after photos to Cheapy, and he can post them at the end of the contest. We could even divide into two categories the people using traditional methods of exercise and people who predominately will be using Wii Fit.

As for the whole downloadable content option for each console. Here is my take on it:

The 360 has allot of great content. The Demo’s that come out have gotten me to buy at least three times at much content on the marketplace then the Wii and PS3 combined. But this DRM stuff blows, in fact it blows so bad that after December when I joined the honorary Red Ring Club and none of my content now works unless I am logged into LIVE I have not bought a single game or anything off of LIVE since. Geez, even the free videos and game trailers no longer work, I had to delete and reload them all. This is completely unacceptable. And the other thing that scares me is all this money I have spent on downloadable games and maps and what not, will it be backwards compatible with future generations of Xbox consoles? Or will maybe 20% of it be compatible and the rest of it I am going to have to keep my 360 around and plugged in just to play Double Dragon, N+, or get the wife all excited with REZ HD? And really getting to play online matches should be part of the free service of Xbox LIVE. The stuff they should be charging for are things like the ability to backup all your games saves to their LIVE SkyDrive service so when the console dies (and we all know that day is coming for all of us) we do not loose any really important stuff that can not be re-downloaded, all picture and theme packs should be free to gold members, and most importantly Gold members should get 24 hr turn around when their console red rings. That means I call and you automatically ship me via a next day service new console, I will happily give you a credit card to ensure that I do send the old paperweight back to you but I really think that the new console should be at my door step in 24 hours.

Sony, Now that the store has been redone hopefully the store will get allot more content. Honestly if I had been an employee of Sony Corporation I would have hung my head in shame and commited ritual suicide when I saw the first version of the store, I mean really “Hello, yeah it’s 1995 and they want their web page store system back!”. But the new store looks nice, and Sony should be able to walk proud along Microsoft and both can snicker at Nintendo. One last small pet peeve with downloading stuff from Sony is getting system updates and or any download is really slow. I am not sure if they went down in the storage closet and dug out all those old 28.8 modems to use or what but pulling anything down from Sony is really slow! Maybe they get a few servers over here in North America and in Europe, or at least dig a little deeper and find the 56K modems!

Nintendo, nothing like watching that little blue circle go round and round while I am waiting for a list of virtual console titles to pop up. Everytime I see that I think to myself it looks like Haley’s comet, and seems like the page refresh’s every time the comet passes by earth! With the prices that the Nintendo store charges you would think that they would be able to dig into that giant vault of gold coins that Iwata and Reggie dive into each night after work for a refreshing swim, and get some better servers and better connections. Here is a novel idea Nintendo NES games $1.50, SNES games $1.75, N-64 games $2.50, NEO GEO, Saturn, Commodore 64 and anything else $2.00. Yeah then I will buy more content off your store until then I will just shop around Craig’s List and other places for the actual cartridges.

[quote name='Sarrasis']Are you putting your apt# on the same line as your street address?[/quote]

Yep.
Apt 311
Apt #311

and all the variations I could think of (including Apt. vs Apt).

When I talked to Sony, they said not to use the apartment number at all, and that didn't work either...

I appreciate your suggestions/trying to help. :) I guess it's just a lost cause for me until I either buy a house or they sell PSN cards at BB...

/tk

You guys are forgetting the 3rd party support for the Wii Balance Board on your tirade about the dusty balance board sitting in the corners of everyones' living rooms. There are like a dozen games in development for it. How much support could it possibly get? Well, as of this week, it has outsold the PS3 in Japan, and We Ski is in excess of 100k units sold, meaning it would make the top 10 of 3rd party efforts on the PS3. And We Ski didnt exactly break the bank to make. The Balance Board is nearly its own development platform.

With that said, feel free to check in with me at any time in the future to see how much use I'm putting into the board.

Man CheapyD, I always doubted your 360 fanboymenship until this cagcast. It confirmed you really are. I would have stopped listening but thank god Wombat was there to get another side to things.

You know how are a hardcore 360 fanboy when you have Wombat defending the PS3. I've never seen it this bad.

The only way I will forgive Cheapy, is if he has Chris Paladino on his show. (and lets him talk) Chris had the best podcast on Dreamstation I miss that show! best ever!

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Man CheapyD, I always doubted your 360 fanboymenship until this cagcast. It confirmed you really are. I would have stopped listening but thank god Wombat was there to get another side to things.

You know how are a hardcore 360 fanboy when you have Wombat defending the PS3. I've never seen it this bad.

The only way I will forgive Cheapy, is if he has Chris Paladino on his show. (and lets him talk) Chris had the best podcast on Dreamstation I miss that show! best ever![/quote]

I don't know if CheapyD is as hardcore a fanboy as you make him out to be (he has said not to buy the thing until they fix RROD, among other things), but he was a little out of control on this CagCast. What drives me nuts is when he says things like "There's no question that Xbox Live is the best of the three," and things like that, as if there was no argument for the other side. He's said that before about Xbox360 having the best games, etc. There is ALWAYS an argument on the other side, as evidenced by the reaction to the other statement about games.

Also, I'm all for a weight loss competition, as suggested by Hired-geek. I'm on vacation for the week, but when I get back, I'll be starting on the Body For Life system. It's teh best ( I lost 30 lbs. on it before). Get it started, Hired Geek! Love your ideas about Xbox Live Gold, as well.

Has shipwreck always been from Ohio? He has a thick accent. I wonder if I sounded like that when I lived there.

The only way I will forgive Cheapy, is if he has Chris Paladino on his show. (and lets him talk) Chris had the best podcast on Dreamstation I miss that show! best ever![/quote]

Yeah! Dreamstation.cc 4 Life.

[quote name='Hired.Geek']
The 360 has allot of great content. The Demo’s that come out have gotten me to buy at least three times at much content on the marketplace then the Wii and PS3 combined. But this DRM stuff blows, in fact it blows so bad that after December when I joined the honorary Red Ring Club and none of my content now works unless I am logged into LIVE I have not bought a single game or anything off of LIVE since. Geez, even the free videos and game trailers no longer work, I had to delete and reload them all. This is completely unacceptable. And the other thing that scares me is all this money I have spent on downloadable games and maps and what not, will it be backwards compatible with future generations of Xbox consoles? Or will maybe 20% of it be compatible and the rest of it I am going to have to keep my 360 around and plugged in just to play Double Dragon, N+, or get the wife all excited with REZ HD? And really getting to play online matches should be part of the free service of Xbox LIVE. The stuff they should be charging for are things like the ability to backup all your games saves to their LIVE SkyDrive service so when the console dies (and we all know that day is coming for all of us) we do not loose any really important stuff that can not be re-downloaded, all picture and theme packs should be free to gold members, and most importantly Gold members should get 24 hr turn around when their console red rings. That means I call and you automatically ship me via a next day service new console, I will happily give you a credit card to ensure that I do send the old paperweight back to you but I really think that the new console should be at my door step in 24 hours.
[/QUOTE]

That's a great idea, more advanced features for the gold members. Personally I don't want to pay for live, because, I don't want to have to pay just to be able to go online and just grab a roster updates for NBA 2k, or Madden, etc. Initally, online for me, was just to grab some DLC, like rosters. I've criticized Live a lot in the past, and its easy to do so, but I didn't have any idea to make it better.. atleast not as elaborate as yours. As a 360 customer, I'd buy live just to have the 24hr turnaround service. Tight work, great ideas

Cheapy, I hate to agree with the PS3 owners, I don't even own one, but it does seem like you go out of your way to stoke the flames of the console wars from a 360 perspective. You've asked a few times recently (I'm paraphrasing) "can't we all agree that the 360 has the best ____________(online/DLC/games/etc)?” The constant comparisons between the two consoles (or three), just bring out the worst in everyone, as is evidenced by the feedback for this weeks show. I understand that you were bringing this up in response to the Greenberg’s comments, but I think it would have been better to just ignore Greenberg’s PR speak. I think CAGS on news would benefit from less console war comparisons.

Let me just clarify, I don’t want to make up for the PS3 bashing, with equal 360 bashing. I just have more of an issue with news items for any of the consoles, constantly being framed in a systems war context, when the comparisons are often unnecessary.

[quote name='msdmoney']Cheapy, I hate to agree with the PS3 owners, I don't even own one, but it does seem like you go out of your way to stoke the flames of the console wars from a 360 perspective. You've asked a few times recently (I'm paraphrasing) "can't we all agree that the 360 has the best ____________(online/DLC/games/etc)?” The constant comparisons between the two consoles (or three), just bring out the worst in everyone, as is evidenced by the feedback for this weeks show. I understand that you were bringing this up in response to the Greenberg’s comments, but I think it would have been better to just ignore Greenberg’s PR speak. I think CAGS on news would benefit from less console war comparisons.

Let me just clarify, I don’t want to make up for the PS3 bashing, with equal 360 bashing. I just have more of an issue with news items for any of the consoles, constantly being framed in a systems war context, when the comparisons are often unnecessary.[/quote]

What fun would that be? How would I get through the week without being reminded once again that I have no In-game XMB?

That was a great show, you guys. One of the better ones of late. Shipwreck was a great addition to the show, adding an interesting third dynamic and points of view after the initial awkwardness. Hopefully the two of you can have him on as a guest more often. I think for most, it was a treat.

Keep up the great show!

bread's done
Back