CAGcast #121: The QAGcast

I could use a copy of PA:A ep1. But alas, no monies for points :(

The point I'm surprised that wasn't brought up about the MGS4 install situation was where Payton mentioned the game would have an initial install then a few 2-3 minute installs with stuff covering them. The CAGcast didn't mention this, and no one else has seemed to pick up on it, which is boggling. People just pass right over it.

And speaking of US history, reading over posts here, Wombat would get a C while others would get an F. Why? Wombat at least tried to cite information, while others deliver no "facts".

[quote name='Temporaryscars']You called them the founders of our country and linked current events to them. Our founding fathers included a pretty large sum of atheists and is in no way connected to today's rash of religious politicians.

And I didn't really mean dumbass. I was just being facetious. :grouphug:[/QUOTE]

Your confusing what I meant, by founders I meant early colonists not founding fathers

I'm lucky I only watched a few minutes of shot at love. I think my brain would have melted and I'd be in a coma right now if I hadn't turned that shit off. THANKS CHEAPY!

[quote name='LiK']Cheapy can also check out Gametrailer's Metal Gear Retrospectives. They've done the series from the original MG game all the way up to MG: PO right now. they're fantastic even tho they skipped some details.[/quote]
Those retrospectives are awesome, one of my highest points every week recenlty, besides the cagcast and cag foreplay of course.

great show guys. Lots of interesting conversations. So many that I can't remember what I was gonna comment on. Altough CAG Foreplay said my name so they win this week :)

eidt: thought of one thing. Who cares who else is in the movie if Casey Afleck is in it. He's great. Actauully better than his bro is.

From my knowledge Wombat knows what he was talking about history-wise, and CheapyD I completely agree with you in that religion is overplayed in politics in a country where are basis is to separate church and state. Great shows you guys, keep it up, i've been listening to all the old cagcasts to get through my monotonous job

It's funny you should bring up the pot thing with the vet Wombat...I recently heard someone on the radio saying she had to take her dog to the vet for an emergency and the first thing the vet asked her (repeatedly) is if the dog had eaten any weed. There must be a ton of people that feed their dog weed to laugh at it being high.

Hey Cheapy, if you havent already, you gotta check out the past episodes of the Gauntlet 3(and the variations of the same show - fresh meat/road rules- real world challenge, ect) on mtv. those are great too.

Hey, what I meant was not that there is anything wrong with having a Koran. I mean, c'mon does that seem reasonable with the rest of my post? What I meant to reference was the fact that Jefferson, along with other founding fathers of course, were intellectuals and men of the enlightenment. Keith Ellison, a muslim man, the new representative for Minneapolis (where I go to school) in the House of Representatives was swore in on a Koran that is believed to have been thomas jefferson's. There was outrage from many people who purport to speak for the religious right who thought it was wrong that he was sworn with a koran.

What I meant was that there is a lot of horrible hate spread by people who think all Islam is bad (which is of course ridiculous!)

Also, of course puritanism is a powerful cultural/political thread in America. I was just saying that its kind of a misconception to think that this country was founded on those ideals or by those people.

But whatever, I can't type.

Also, smurfbob, I think what you are thinking of is either Unitarian or Deist (both of which basically are the same thing in the modern context.) I know this because I grew up going to unitarian church. Im what they call a Jew-U.

Whatever.

Hey wombat, I don't think you are a dumbass. You were totally right about the puritans! I think some people just can't seperate the founding fathers (1776) from the mayflower. oh well.

Obama bitches!

[quote name='udabenshen']Hey, what I meant was not that there is anything wrong with having a Koran. I mean, c'mon does that seem reasonable with the rest of my post? What I meant to reference was the fact that Jefferson, along with other founding fathers of course, were intellectuals and men of the enlightenment. Keith Ellison, a muslim man, the new representative for Minneapolis (where I go to school) in the House of Representatives was swore in on a Koran that is believed to have been thomas jefferson's. There was outrage from many people who purport to speak for the religious right who thought it was wrong that he was sworn with a koran.

What I meant was that there is a lot of horrible hate spread by people who think all Islam is bad (which is of course ridiculous!)

Also, of course puritanism is a powerful cultural/political thread in America. I was just saying that its kind of a misconception to think that this country was founded on those ideals or by those people.

But whatever, I can't type.

Also, smurfbob, I think what you are thinking of is either Unitarian or Deist (both of which basically are the same thing in the modern context.) I know this because I grew up going to unitarian church. Im what they call a Jew-U.

Whatever.[/quote]

It's cool, I guess my sarcasm detector needs a replacement.

[quote name='Wombat']Your confusing what I meant, by founders I meant early colonists not founding fathers[/QUOTE]

they say the youth of today don't listen... guess they were right too.

[quote name='Wombat']Your confusing what I meant, by founders I meant early colonists not founding fathers[/QUOTE]

Okay but the Puritian weren't "founding" a new country. They clearly still considered themselves English.
The Purtians weren't the only settlers. The Virginia Colony was founded to make money and it predates Plymouth by a dozen years. That's not even counting the non-English settlers. At best, you're 1/4 right, kind of.

No one would really care about correcting you if you didn't play the part of Mr. Never-Wrong

I agree that GH:Areosmith not playing GH3 DLC is not news. Also, I am actually a pretty big Aerosmith fan too, Cheapy and I have to say they did pick a lot of decent songs for the Guitar Hero game. Admittedly several favs are missing, and I don't understand why we need other bands on a suppossedly band-dedicated game. . What were the songs you thought they completely missed out on? Also, and this question goes to anyone, do you think if you were't a GH fan, that a game dedicated to your favorite band, would get you to play it?

[quote name='usickenme']Okay but the Puritian weren't "founding" a new country. They clearly still considered themselves English.
The Purtians weren't the only settlers. The Virginia Colony was founded to make money and it predates Plymouth by a dozen years. That's not even counting the non-English settlers. At best, you're 1/4 right, kind of.

No one would really care about correcting you if you didn't play the part of Mr. Never-Wrong[/QUOTE]

I think correcting me has become the meta-game within the CAGcast.

Back on the subject, The Puritans may not have intended one becoming one of the many groups that led to the founding of this country, but over time their children and grandchildren did.

[quote name='whiptcracker']Definantely not the equivalent of Xbox Live Gold. The 360 equivalent of this would be those Inside Xbox videos. Which are free for even Silver accounts. Qore is like paying for Sony advertisements.[/quote]
Bravo. Dead on. I was waiting for the fanboys' reaction to justify Qore.

Basically it comes down to this. People think the internet is 100% free. But companies have to pay for bandwidth. All those promos and demos cost money to distribute. A lot of money. The Xbox LIVE fee, in addition to providing a stabile online play infrastructure, subsidizes promos, demos and other stuff for everyone. Including the free Silver account members.

Qore is some bean counter's attempt to reduce costs.

[quote name='DesertEagleXIX']I have to chime in on the Marketplace content issue.

There's a notion in marketing called the 'Gruen transfer', named after the architect of the original mall. The theory is that malls are purposefully designed to disorient and confuse people. That's when you buy something else beyond what your original intent was. Why do you think all malls have anchor stores that don't have a direct line of sight? Why do people get lost in malls, or are unable to go directly to the store they want with negotiating escalators and passing by pretzel stands, sale signs and other goodies?

Now take this concept in the virtual shopping world. By getting lost in content; you might come across something in that big unorganized collection of media that is of interest to you. Buy it and you're succumbed to the ol' Gruen transfer.

I'm sure Microsoft knows this; I doubt they'll completely 'organize' their content so you can concisely pick what you want. It's bad business.[/quote]
I don't know why people and Xbox execs themselves think the Marketplace is confusing. It's alphabetical. Scroll down the list. Find the game you want. Click it and see what content is available. There's even a checkmark to indicate what you've already bought.

Then again, seeing how Circuit City employees can't keep titles in any kind of order, maybe alphabetical is too hard for some people.

[quote name='Wombat']I think correcting me has become the meta-game within the CAGcast.[/quote]
There you go. That's the basis for the eventual Cheap Ass Gamer video game. People will pay $20 to follow Wombat around correcting him when he says something wrong.

[quote name='banodyne']Bravo. Dead on. I was waiting for the fanboys' reaction to justify Qore.

Basically it comes down to this. People think the internet is 100% free. But companies have to pay for bandwidth. All those promos and demos cost money to distribute. A lot of money. The Xbox LIVE fee, in addition to providing a stabile online play infrastructure, subsidizes promos, demos and other stuff for everyone. Including the free Silver account members.

Qore is some bean counter's attempt to reduce costs.[/quote]

Free demos, themes, videos, etc. aren't going anywhere on PSN.

I hope the future installments of the Penny Arcade game reward those who have played the ones that come before...
First of all, they should price the game cheaper if you own the previous installment... 800 MS Points if have episode one, 1600 if you're a newcomer.
Additionally, they should let you carry over your character/stats/weapons and not start from scratch. To accomplish this, they'd need a totally new weapon set to upgrade that all players can work with, but veterns also get to use their powered-up weapon for the first episode.
Do you think such marketing would get players to invest in all episodes, or just avoid all of them?

I, for one, will probably invest in a new set of instruments with the next Guitar Hero game for one simple reason... owning two consoles. The 360 will be my Rock Band machine, and the PS3 shall be my Guitar Hero system.
It doesn't look good for Rock Revolution, however. Konami best make it work with existing equipment if they want me to give it a try.

Cheapy... I agree 100% that Nintendo needs WiiWare downloads. Why? Because I bought Dr. Mario and it doesn't work! At all! I'm sure a demo would be the same code as the full game and I could have saved myself $10.

(I did call Nintendo support on it and the best they could do was knock $30 off the price of a system repair, making Dr. Mario a grand total of $70. Of course I declined as everything else is working fine. Oh... and no refunds on the Wii points either. Blah!)

After the comment by Cheapy that politicians need to demonstrate their faith in order to get elected, you made the comment:

You got to remember this country was founded on people that believed that...the reason they left Europe to come to the United States wasn't because they wanted freedom of religion because they wanted less religion, they wanted more religion.

If you meant to talk about those who came here and settled and not the founding fathers, you simply made a poor choice of words. The comment implies it shouldn't be surprising politicians need religion in their campaigns to win. This implication is based off the idea the country was founded with more religion in mind.

If memory serves me correctly, the founders, when forming the government, did not want the government to be involved in religion. While people are allowed to believe whatever they want, within reason, we shouldn't expect politicians to campaign on the steps of their house of worship.

In short, it's probably best to avoid political and/or historical discussions on the CAGcast.

Besides that, great show! :D

Hey Cheapy was the intro music to this show from the Quest of Glory(aka Hero's Quest) series. I loved those games growing up. I have the anthology, I should install it or I could watch walkthroughs on Youtube and save some time.

[quote name='Wombat']I think correcting me has become the meta-game within the CAGcast.[/quote]

Yes it has, someone keep score.

I watched the Clip of A Shot At Love and that guy got fucked up and then just stood there like an idiot, maybe he was stunned but if a guy head buts you and then punches you in the face you do something about it even if you get kicked out of the show. That was a great CAGcast as always.

All I am going to say is, as I have said in other threads, what makes you think Qore is a priority over those features you want? The team that does this is different than the team that would do firmware updates. This is a Sony PR SCEA/ official playstation magazine idea, and firmware updates are engineers in Japan.

Hey guys, i'm having trouble with the zune support. Its not showing up in my zune marketplace ... could you guys check it out??

alright cheapy and wombat, here's why i never wrote a review for itunes:

they want my credit card info before i can review anything.

i never set up an itunes account because i never had any intention of purchasing anything from the itunes store, but now they won't let me review podcasts because i have no credit card on file. can't speak for everyone, that's just me.

oh, and how could you forget the man who showed you the ropes in what now appears to be the most dangerous of districts in the city of tokyo? you broke my heart.

Regarding the discussion about the EGM Metal Gear Solid 4 non-review , or review without a score , I'm gonna throw myself under the bus by saying that I don't really care all that much for the actual "review" of most game reviews and care more about the score and a generalized bulletpoint overview.

The problem I have with a lot of game reviews is that , as others have pointed out over time , the games that most of us know are going to be good end up getting reviews that read like long wankoff sesions about the greatness of said game (GTA4 IGN review , Assasins Creed GS review) whereas games that might be lesser known or not as good tend to get very brief reviews. I say do away with the whole review and just give me a score showing your overall satisfaction/impression of the game , and some general bulletpoints about the good things and bad things about the game.

Did the game have good controls? How where the graphics? Did the camera suck? Voice acting? About the only things I feel might need to be gone into more detail than a simple good / bad note is how good is a game compared to other games in the same series (if its a sequel) , which platform does the game perform best on (for mutiplatform games) or to borrow one from wombat , is the game better or worse than other games in the same genre.

Whew. I think I'm done now. Everyone can proceed to flame the hell out of me now for being a simpleton who doesn't like to actually READ and decide for myself whether a game is good or not.:dunce::twoguns::fridge:

Cheapy, I love the show but where in the constitution is mentioned the separation of church and state. It is not in the first amendment w/ freedom of religion. Freedom of religion is so the government cannot have one religion that everyone must obey. Separation of church and state was coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter, he may have believed this but it not in the constitution. I believe you may have misspoke. Otherwise. great show.

[quote name='siamesellama']Cheapy... I agree 100% that Nintendo needs WiiWare downloads. Why? Because I bought Dr. Mario and it doesn't work! At all! I'm sure a demo would be the same code as the full game and I could have saved myself $10.

(I did call Nintendo support on it and the best they could do was knock $30 off the price of a system repair, making Dr. Mario a grand total of $70. Of course I declined as everything else is working fine. Oh... and no refunds on the Wii points either. Blah!)[/quote]

Dr. Mario DOES have a demo. However you can't just go to the store and download it. You have to have it sent to you by someone who already has the full game. It's a lame system, but it's a small step in the right direction.

[quote name='Agent_BBJ']Cheapy, I love the show but where in the constitution is mentioned the separation of church and state. It is not in the first amendment w/ freedom of religion. Freedom of religion is so the government cannot have one religion that everyone must obey. Separation of church and state was coined by Thomas Jefferson in a letter, he may have believed this but it not in the constitution. I believe you may have misspoke. Otherwise. great show.[/quote]

The words "separation of church and state" may not be used in the first amendment, but the idea of it is certainly there. Specifically by "separating" the government from religion, insofar as they cannot create, bar, or otherwise officially support religious activities. While it may not be there in name, it is basically all there in the first amendment.

Thanks again, guys, for a great show as always.

I just want it to comment on the Official Xbox Magazines CD. Althought you're right on the spot that most of the demos do appear on the marketplace after a while, some of them will not (like the japanese game they featured 6 issues ago). Also, keep in mind that due to the region lock most of us international players will not get a demo from the marketplace at all (like the Bourne Conspiracy, which I was lucky to get this month on the July issue, and it was region locked for my country).

Also, add the fact that we the owners of the 20GB hard drives really need some demos stored in the CD so we can save the space we need so much for the big demos that will appear every once in a while, like Battlefield Bad Company.

Take care.-

[quote name='SkippyDoorknob']Dr. Mario DOES have a demo. However you can't just go to the store and download it. You have to have it sent to you by someone who already has the full game. It's a lame system, but it's a small step in the right direction.[/quote]

Looks like we need Mrs. Shipwreck to start sending all of us some Dr Mario demos!

Great show this week guys.

And thanks for the movie suggestions, Cheapy. I watched "Who Killed The Electric Car" and enjoyed it quite a bit. Also, I have "Gone Baby Gone" downloaded... uh I mean queued up at Netflix and I'll watch that next. :lol:

I agree with you but the forefathers never intended for it (maybe beside Jefferson) be the way we think about it today. I was just trying to make a point. I know it has changed over the years. I do not think that a candidate for the president of the US telling everyone what religion he/she is would stop them from being a good president (this goes for every religion). It is just good politics. 80% or more of people in America are of the Christan faith (or at least claim to be). The presidential candidates know by saying they are Christian just brings them votes. Look at the majority of people voting they are white 30-60 year olds. It is a big deal to them weather or not the candidate is of the faith.

[quote name='orko60']The words "separation of church and state" may not be used in the first amendment, but the idea of it is certainly there. Specifically by "separating" the government from religion, insofar as they cannot create, bar, or otherwise officially support religious activities. While it may not be there in name, it is basically all there in the first amendment.[/quote]

[quote name='Agent_BBJ']I agree with you but the forefathers never intended for it (maybe beside Jefferson) be the way we think about it today. I was just trying to make a point. I know it has changed over the years. I do not think that a candidate for the president of the US telling everyone what religion he/she is would stop them from being a good president (this goes for every religion). It is just good politics. 80% or more of people in America are of the Christan faith (or at least claim to be). The presidential candidates know by saying they are Christian just brings them votes. Look at the majority of people voting they are white 30-60 year olds. It is a big deal to them weather or not the candidate is of the faith.[/QUOTE]

Sure it's good politics, but what does it say about a country when it uses religious ideology as a weapon in presidential races?

were not the only country that uses reilgion as a weapon. So your telling me in a country full of Muslims they are going to vote in a Christian?

[quote name='Agent_BBJ']were not the only country that uses reilgion as a weapon. So your telling me in a country full of Muslims they are going to vote in a Christian?[/QUOTE]

Of course we're not the only country who uses religion for political means. I think we can all agree on the point. However, this goes back to my original question...

What does it say about a society, any society, when it supports the practice of using religion as a political weapon?

bread's done
Back