CAGcast #158: Demos, DLC, and Dummies

Cheapy, enough already! Stop complaining about your self imposed isolation in Japan. I think it's sad that you have made little effort to learn Japanese. I bet more Americans have spent more time to learn the language in anticipation of a visit than you have living there.

[quote name='karatechop16']Great show as always. Just one thing though:

Cheapy, I've heard you flub up Garnett Lee's name in previous CAGcasts. How are you not familiar with the 1UP editor and host of arguably the most popular video game podcast out there? I guess I just find it strange that, doing what you do for a living and being who you are, you don't really know him. He's even given you props on ListenUp before when discussing the Japanese gaming market...[/quote]
Never heard of him.

I enjoyed the show and particularly how Cheapy stayed true to his careful evaluation of DLC, in this case Saint's Row 2's DLC. Even for his favorite game, Cheapy displayed a critical eye and told us whether he felt the DLC for that game was worth the money...thanks Cheapy for continuing your vigilence!

Really good show guys, keep it up!

I'll dowload the Red Faction demo this weekend and give it a try... even though I don't really like to try new demos, simce I'll probably have to wait almost one year before I can get these games at affordable prices where I live :p.

I'm looking forward to Marvel versus Capcom 2, I even bought the points for it already!! Actually it was for the Broken Stell DLC, but I'm kind of burned out of Fallout 3 right now, so I might wait a little before buying that.

PS: Since this show there are no "post something in the show thread to have a chance to win something", the number of posts really dropped! ;)

Cheapy,

Your WRONG! One Swine Flu case has been found in a hotel in Hong Kong. Watch out and wear a mask! The Mexicans are everywhere!

[quote name='thorbahn3']You know Cheapy, I bet Wombat would like a ipod touch for his birthday. Then he can talk about the apps with you on the show.[/quote]

I love Wombat, but I think it would be better (and more appropriate) if Cheapy got Wombat a personalized pan-handling recepticle that is monogrammed "Will game 4 fud. Wombat5277"--much more meaningful and thoughtful. Wombat will chuck an iPod after a couple of years, but give that man the proper tools and he has the skills to feed himself and his family for a lifetime.

[quote name='chi.bri']Cheapy, enough already! Stop complaining about your self imposed isolation in Japan. I think it's sad that you have made little effort to learn Japanese. I bet more Americans have spent more time to learn the language in anticipation of a visit than you have living there.[/quote]

You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. Learning Japanese as a 30-something is a huge pain in the ass. Especially since (as Cheapy has said in this thread), he's not that bright. But I did hear Cheapy bust out some Nihongo on one of the live shows a while back--he sounded like he knows how to get around with a decent level of situational phrases. He lives there because he loves his wife and her skillset it not easily transferrable outside of Japan. I've often thought of posting in the CAGbag "how do you do you live in Japan for so long, Cheapy?" But I'm sure it's that (again) he loves his wife. A LOT. But she definately needs to give him some more action. It's got to be even worse on him now that he's Mr. Mom.

Your second statement that Americans (at least the ones who aren't of immigrant descent) learn the language before they go somewhere overseas is absolutely laughable--hysterical in fact. When I moved to Japan I had pretty crappy Japanese from my public university education, but it was better than 9/10 of my colleagues who had moved there. The best among that portion of them was "arigatoo" or "sayoonara." When I moved abroad again later in life, none of my American colleagues had more than 2 words of the local language upon arrival.

Americans have among the worst levels of foreign language proficiency in the world. As a country, we expect everyone to speak our language both in our country and out. We also have among the worst foreign language education systems in secondary and tertiary education. Go to Holland--routine for your waiter (at any regular old restarant) to speak Dutch, French, German, and English--fluently. Name a city in the US where you'd get a multi-lingual waiter in the equivalent of a TGI Friday's.

To circle it around back to the beginning, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for mentioning the Red Faction: Guerilla demo. I don't usually try out demos and I definitely wasn't interested in Red Faction (the 'destroy environments' thing for the series was always just too much of a novelty to me). But from that fun little demo it seems like it'll be what Mercenaries said it was going to be. Maybe with a little Freedom Fighters thrown into the mix. Jeez, how does he swing that hammer so hard though?

[quote name='Cursor']
You absolutely don't know what you're talking about. Learning Japanese as a 30-something is a huge pain in the ass. Especially since (as Cheapy has said in this thread), he's not that bright. But I did hear Cheapy bust out some Nihongo on one of the live shows a while back--he sounded like he knows how to get around with a decent level of situational phrases. He lives there because he loves his wife and her skillset it not easily transferrable outside of Japan. I've often thought of posting in the CAGbag "how do you do you live in Japan for so long, Cheapy?" But I'm sure it's that (again) he loves his wife. A LOT. But she definately needs to give him some more action. It's got to be even worse on him now that he's Mr. Mom.

Your second statement that Americans (at least the ones who aren't of immigrant descent) learn the language before they go somewhere overseas is absolutely laughable--hysterical in fact. When I moved to Japan I had pretty crappy Japanese from my public university education, but it was better than 9/10 of my colleagues who had moved there. The best among that portion of them was "arigatoo" or "sayoonara." When I moved abroad again later in life, none of my American colleagues had more than 2 words of the local language upon arrival.

Americans have among the worst levels of foreign language proficiency in the world. As a country, we expect everyone to speak our language both in our country and out. We also have among the worst foreign language education systems in secondary and tertiary education. Go to Holland--routine for your waiter (at any regular old restarant) to speak Dutch, French, German, and English--fluently. Name a city in the US where you'd get a multi-lingual waiter in the equivalent of a TGI Friday's.

To circle it around back to the beginning, you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about, my friend.[/quote]

Ugh...my head hurts from reading this BS. More useless excuses.
I always hated when people would say 'my friend'.

you cant really define the iraq war as a "war" in the first place, it was more like a slaughter of civilians. And that's probably why the game was cancelled. (as far as i know going around killing civilians in a game isn't really funny in the long run).

this weeks ep wasnt good, nor bad. it was mediocerly average.

2039150952_e747a4440f_o.jpg

A comment on Shures. I had a great experience with their support. I sent in a pair of E2Cs that my dog chewed up with a description of "failed dog stress test." They sent me a brand new pair of headphones a week later. I was only out the cost of shipping my old headphones in.

Interesting on the Shures, but an audiophile friend of mine had his cans break. Twice. The HQ is local here in IL, and they took them back and exchanged them in person without any trouble. Great customer service and great sound can't make up for a product that is easily broken.

Keep the quick iphone app mentions, I vote that up. As long as you keep it short for the Anti-iPhone people. In this case, I would say that it would be great to hear Wombat's lathering about the microgames on the iphone. And I feel same about the DS- games are too involved for a pooping. And I'm not going to be carrying a second piece of hardware around so that I can play it for 3 min in the post office line. I was addicted to Stategery for a while there, which I would recommend as a Risk like distraction for 99 cents. I haven't really like many of the arcade games they have, like iDracula or Hero of Sparta.

This whole thing with Sony and the new PSP- if they don't put a second analog stick on there, they are doomed, in a sense. Nintendo has had 3 significant hardware iterations in the same time as Sony's 3 insignificant hardware iterations, and sold buttloads more units. Will anyone ever learn from Nintendo on the handheld front? Even the 360 could use a new hardware iteration that isn't just a new color or hard disk size. Perhaps something in Silent?

And finally, I appreciate the DLC commentary. Most of it is not worth the cash. Although it's clear that they are appealing the fanatics. For example, I'll buy the new Fable II DLC even if it's only 3 more hours, just because I love the game. After hearing about the SR2 DLC, 3 hours seems like a pretty good amount of time to get out of $10 in DLC.

How come you didnt even mention the UFC demo? i mean its fine if you dont like it but atleast mention it and give us your impressions!

[quote name='Swoxx']How come you didnt even mention the UFC demo? i mean its fine if you dont like it but atleast mention it and give us your impressions![/quote]
Did I not mention it? It was on the outline and I did play it.
Didn't like it. Game moves way too slowly.

[quote name='karatechop16']Never read EGM before? Never listened to 1UPYours?[/quote]

I don't about Clarke, but I never read EGM. I didn't visit 1up.com. And I never listed to the 1UPYours podcast. So Garnett Lee didn't mean anything to me either. And I bet this is true for a great many people who play video games. The importance of the 1UP/EGM network varies greatly across the gaming community. I know lots of gamers who, when told that EGM would stop being published, asked "What is EGM?".

So I honestly believe that CheapyD isn't familar with Garnett Lee, and that this is not abnormal for the larger gaming community.

Excellent show as usual, fellows, although I think Cheapy missed the point of the iPhone comment. I'm pretty sure what the writer meant was that iPhone owners sometimes come off as a bit obnoxious. It's a sexy piece of tech, so the haves tend to like to talk about it often; thus boring the have-nots with minutiae regarding various games, apps and features that don't really mean anything to them. Still, even as a non-owner, I'm always open to hearing reviews of good games on any system, so I say keep it up.

I also really enjoyed hearing your thoughts on the correlation between pricey press junkets and game costs, pre-release hype and review scores. We all know that this sort of spending overinflates budgets, and it's silly to think that favoring outlandish gifts on journalists won't affect their views of a provider's product or service. I freelance for a (smaller) Wired blog, and even us lowly stringers have to adhere to company policy regarding review pieces; we must return any item retailing for more than $100 after the initial review period. Even with this in place, it still takes some personal restraint to not let the fact that Company X has given you a shiny new Product Y color your views or cloud your critical thinking.

Do you think game journalism as a whole would benefit from a similar monetary cut-off point? Would preventing reviewers from receiving perks costing more than, say, the price of the console in question provide a more balanced approach?

Cheapy, when you mentioned the resident evil 5 save glitch, it made me wonder why this seems to be happening lately. Far Cry 2 still has this problem 6 months after it was released and they only thing ubisoft ever says is "there's a patch coming soon". As someone who very badly wants to PLAY far cry 2, I find this frustrating as hell since I'm not going through the game and get to 56% or even 88% completion to find my files corrupted. Same with Resident evil, as that game I'm also interested in. WHY are we getting these glitchier-than-usual products with no resolution?

Hey guys, great show. Batman: Arkum Asylum has been delayed until the fall. Wombat, get out your crying towel. At least you have more time to save up for the Collectors Edition.

Cheapy, thanks for the recommendation on Dark Sector. I picked it up from New Egg, for $8.99 and am enjoying myself.

I haven't been constantly keeping up with the various Tai photos, but it seems like yesterday he starred in the "RROD Makes My Baby Cry" video.

Good to see him decked out in Batman and Spider-Man. Uncle Wombat ought to get him into comic reading when he's old enough.

Ya know Cheapy, I'm guessing you can't do this, but for people in the States you can just preorder the game online from Gamestop's website, have the codes e-mailed to you that gives you the download, then just go to the store and move your money to something else or take it back completely.

This is what I do so that games that aren't worth 60 bucks I can just get the download and then buy them later when they're cheaper. So you can get that infamous download and then just wait til the game drops in price to grab it.

CheapyD, Wombat, Are you guys really Jewish?
I guess in my life all the ethnically Jewish people I know are very devout in their faith as well. and I know several people that are as Gentile as they can be and are leaps and bounds more Jewish that either of these podcasting Yuk-Yuks. My question is...Why can you claim anything as "because I'm a Jew" when everything about your life is not Jewish.? On a side note, What aspects of Kosher do you observe?

Great show as always.

CheapyD, I must say, I think our video game tastes are pretty close. I bought Saints Row 2 last November cause you spoke so highly on it and it is one of my favorite games by far.

I also picked up DarkSector like you suggested and its a lot of fun too!

After hearing this weeks Cagcast I tried the Red Faction demo, and once again, you were right on the money, the demo was a lot of fun even though I got probably 95% through the demo, died and had to do the WHOLE thing over again.

I wonder if our interests work the other way? I am really interested in the upcoming title "Fuel" and was wondering was your opinions are on the game, even though all we've seen is a few screenshots and videos so far?

CheapyD, since you're getting into iPhone games, I thought I'd mention a couple of recommendations to you. Defend Your Castle is out for iPhone with graphics based on the Wii version. I don't have the Wii version but based on what I know, the iPhone version seems better as I think it's easier to flick the baddies using your fingers than the Wii remote. It's better pick up and play gaming not to mention cheaper too. There's also a clone that came out earlier called Stick Wars. I don't have that so can't say how that compares.

One more app I'd like to mention is Leaf Trombone World Stage. You play an instrument that's a cross between a leaf whistle and a trombone and you can either play precomposed songs or freestyle. And you can do performances online and get judged as well as do judging yourself. You can also compose your own songs on the developer website and share it. The reason I mention this app is I think this is what Wii Music should have been. About the only thing Wii Music have over this app is ability to upload group performances.

[quote name='lebkin']I don't about Clarke, but I never read EGM. I didn't visit 1up.com. And I never listed to the 1UPYours podcast. So Garnett Lee didn't mean anything to me either. And I bet this is true for a great many people who play video games. The importance of the 1UP/EGM network varies greatly across the gaming community. I know lots of gamers who, when told that EGM would stop being published, asked "What is EGM?".

So I honestly believe that CheapyD isn't familar with Garnett Lee, and that this is not abnormal for the larger gaming community.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, 1up fans seem to think 1up.com matters more than it actually does. And the 1upyours podcast hasn't been any good for over a year once the regulars and stars of the show left the company.

wow, why the Garnett/1UP hate all of a sudden? his show is still great (even after they were purchased). i still enjoy it. the CAGcast and many other gaming podcasts that i listen to are just fun shows for gaming info and stories. i get way more info from them than having to read through a ton of gaming sites. they get me through the day.

[quote name='LiK']wow, why the Garnett/1UP hate all of a sudden? his show is still great (even after they were purchased). i still enjoy it. the CAGcast and many other gaming podcasts that i listen to are just fun shows for gaming info and stories. i get way more info from them than having to read through a ton of gaming sites. they get me through the day.[/quote]

I agree Lik. Garnett and John Davison are incredibly knowledgeable guys. They have been in the biz a long time and have access and contacts that others dream about. These guys know their shit.

Love or hate 1UP, they are a source of gaming news. They don't cut and paste stories or point. They break it.

[quote name='LimpDaddy']I agree Lik. Garnett and John Davison are incredibly knowledgeable guys. They have been in the biz a long time and have access and contacts that others dream about. These guys know their shit.

Love or hate 1UP, they are a source of gaming news. They don't cut and paste stories or point. They break it.[/quote]

They could even be called journalists.

Overall a great show, really sad there isn't going to be one this week. I feel really sorry for Wombat.

[quote name='Xavin']Overall a great show, really sad there isn't going to be one this week. I feel really sorry for Wombat.[/QUOTE]

What happened?

Great show, as usual.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely HATE hearing about iPhone games on gaming podcasts. I always tune out during the discussion and it sounds like Wombat does the same. What do you think?

I understand Cheapy's talking about what he's been up to, but I could care less about silly 99 cent games that I will never play.

[quote name='RudyPants']Great show, as usual.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I absolutely HATE hearing about iPhone games on gaming podcasts. I always tune out during the discussion and it sounds like Wombat does the same. What do you think?

I understand Cheapy's talking about what he's been up to, but I could care less about silly 99 cent games that I will never play.[/quote]

The iPhone has turned into a gaming platform. It's not going away. All of the game developers are trying to make games for it. They are investing a lot of time and money in that market. It needs to be part of the conversation with the other consoles and portables.

Cheapy,

I was checking to see if there's a new podcast today. I notice that the difference on today to #158 podcast date is wrong. Today is 5/7/2009 and podcast was released on 4/30/2009. Shouldn't the difference be 7 days and not 4 days? Where is the server in?:bomb:

[quote name='CheapyD']Did I not mention it? It was on the outline and I did play it.
Didn't like it. Game moves way too slowly.[/quote]

Too slowly WTF??? It moves like it should, its not fucking Street Fighter.

And yeah people need to stop the 1UP bashing. Is it as good as it used to be, hell no. But Listen UP is still one of the best gaming podcasts out there, even if it can't measure up to the greatness that was 1UP Yours.

Even though I had zero intention to play Red Faction: Guerrilla (didn't like RF2) I did download the demo last night due to CheapyD's praise and it definitely was much better than I would of imagined and made me replay it 3 or so times. Not a fan of the gloomy Mars environment, but I can see why people would get it.

This episode has me worried about Bionic Commando since CheapyD hated that demo (CAG impressions in the X360 Bionic Commando thread are mixed), I really want that to be as polished as Bionic Commando: Rearmed was which was one of my Game of the Years for 2008. PS3 better get a demo or else I'm not buying. Hopefully the majority of the BC complaints stem from the demo being multiplayer only with no private rooms in a night map which I can see why people would hate it since the swinging mechanic will take awhile to get used to... stupid Capcom.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='RudyPants']Great show, as usual.

I understand Cheapy's talking about what he's been up to, but I could care less about silly 99 cent games that I will never play.[/QUOTE]

I understand your disinterest if you don't own the platform, but you seem to have written off the games as silly soley based on the price. Are we so used to paying thirty dollars plus for portable games that the very idea of a 99 cent game is silly? It seems like a lot of gamers have written off the platform because it doesn't fall in line with traditional portables and pricing. I don't have an iphone but I don't think anyone can deny that 99 cents is a good price point for a portable game, especially for cheapassgamers. Plus I'm hearing more and more about multiplatform games on the ds and iphone, where the iphone version has more features but is significantly cheaper. I think Cheapy would be remiss to neglect discussing iphone gaming, especially with it's potential in changing portable gaming for the better.

Prince of Persia is not even worth the rental money Wombat. Easily one of the biggest disappointment of 2008. I can't remember the last time I played such a boring game.

I was laughing my ass off about that CAGbag sex tape question. Good stuff.

bread's done
Back