CAGcast #169: Taintality!

Regarding Sony's Avatar rewards for Home, there are games that support this such as Street Fighter 4, Resident Evil 5 and Namco Arcade. The new Batman game will 'reward' you with the Batcave just by having the game. In addition just about every mini game in Home rewards the users with items and clothing.

Also the sales for Home items seem to be selling very well. Some of the pre-order costumes can sell on ebay for > $60. (link: http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/08/12/pre-order-rarities-turn-up-the-heat-on-ebay/ )

Kind of makes the $5 lightsaber look cheap in comparison.

[quote name='Kewin']Hey Cheapy are you going to be doing a Pepsi Shiso taste test. It is that time of year again[/QUOTE]

Pepsi Shiso is cool. It has a light minty taste. My GF said it tastes like dishwashing detergent though.

Wombat's Star Wars rant is 100% accurate and 100% hoolarious! When he went off on the midichlorian count and dropped the f-bomb I was dying.

And that Electric Blue theme song has been in my head all day long. It's so awful that it's good.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOMBAT WOMBAT!!!!

I love you man! JK!
Seriously, I TOTALLY agree with your opinion of the Star Wars prequels. I hate those films.

[quote name='Wombat']You want us to talk more about Uncircumcised Kangaroos?[/QUOTE]

No no no, you misunderstood. He meant KOALAS.

I love it when the shows are about 90 minutes long. Much longer than that and you guys seem to get so tired you get boring.

I don't know what was more disturbing at the beginning of the show...hearing about CheapyD's underwear or the number of Harry Potter references..

/tk

[quote name='PhaperPlane']I personally think this is one of my favourite CAG Casts. It had me laughing a lot! Excellent show! :applause:

BUT

There needs to be more love for the UK![/QUOTE]

yeah it would be great if there was more british love

I can't believe Wombat's Star Wars rant.

Lucas ruined his childhood by explaining the force in grester detail.
How old was he when he saw SW? Wasn't he born in '77?

When Obi-Wan tells Luke 'May the force be with you'. I'm pretty sure he meant Luke, not everyone .
He didn't say 'The force shall be with you, and anyone who wants to be a Jedi'.

It's too bad he's the goto guy for Star Wars and comics, because I disagree with his opinion on both, alot.

I just don't have an internet soapbox to stand on.

[quote name='Richlough']I can't believe Wombat's Star Wars rant.

Lucas ruined his childhood by explaining the force in grester detail.
How old was he when he saw SW? Wasn't he born in '77?

When Obi-Wan tells Luke 'May the force be with you'. I'm pretty sure he meant Luke, not everyone .
He didn't say 'The force shall be with you, and anyone who wants to be a Jedi'.

It's too bad he's the goto guy for Star Wars and comics, because I disagree with his opinion on both, alot.

I just don't have an internet soapbox to stand on.[/QUOTE]

Well I am the go to guy because there are only two of us, and other one doesn't read comics and he refuses talk Star Wars because the Episode I ruined his childhood

I agree with Wombat that virtual items are a pure waste of money. However, virtual items are pure profit for these companies. As an example I was able to flip the Infamous Reaper outfit for home for $12 on ebay (through buy it now), as some other CAGs did as well (some even got more than $12 by using an auction format). I'm sure Sony has done pretty well on selling make believe outfits based on the price I was able to get. Now M$ wants in on the profit. The easiest market/group of suckers are Star Wars fans. I'm just surprised $ony hasn't figured that out yet:). Maybe Sony is going to release some Trekker items.

Wombat: Virtual clothing for Xbox live and Home isn't necessary. I talked to my one friend, and he already spent 10 bucks on some Gears armor and Splinter Cell clothing. He also mentioned how he has seen people wearing items during 1 vs 100. M$ already rapes you up the ass with a $50 yearly membership. By buying virtual clothing, it's just a joke and gives M$ more money. For the PS3 however, the clothing does cost money but you aren't paying for online gaming. When you look at that, it's easy to justify buying for PSN and not M$.

BTW Wombat, After thinking about it more clearly, I do believe that Arkham Asylum can have a sequel. If Eidos does announce a sequel, then I will personally buy you your copy of the game.

[quote name='Wombat']Well I am the go to guy because there are only two of us, and other one doesn't read comics and he refuses talk Star Wars because the Episode I ruined his childhood[/QUOTE]

I am familiar with the process of elimination . ;)

Great show guys I laughed my ass off. But seriously Cheapy how hard is it to buy underwear? What are you retarded? And quit bitching about having to change game discs, you live in a tiny Japanese apartment. I saw that Railfan video and you can probably reach the console from the couch. Keep up the good work fellas.

I don't know what was more messed up: those messages Wombat got on XBL or his rant about Star Wars.

Great show guys.

[quote name='Richlough']I am familiar with the process of elimination . ;)[/QUOTE]

well if you'd like I can have Cheapy commision someone to draw up a diagram, :)

[quote name='Wombat']well if you'd like I can have Cheapy commision someone to draw up a diagram, :)[/QUOTE]

I guess I have an unconditional love for Star Wars .

Alot of 'fans' bitch about what they are a fan of for various reasons and I don't understand why .
I say then just quit being a fan of it if you don't like it anymore .

The differences between the original trilogy and the prequel trilogy is people were grown ups when they saw the PT.

I still saw episode I as a kid (well I was 12) and I loved it as much as the other films.

I watched all six movies a few months ago again and the original trilogy has tons of flaws, almost as many as the prequels. The prequels get more hate than they should.

As for the midichlorian crap, it amazes me how such a small part of episode I made SW nerdrage so much. But to make Wombat happy how do you know the force is no longer with you? As far as you know your midichlorian count is as high as darth vaders/

[quote name='sdp']

As for the midichlorian crap, it amazes me how such a small part of episode I made SW nerdrage so much. But to make Wombat happy how do you know the force is no longer with you? As far as you know your midichlorian count is as high as darth vaders/[/QUOTE]

Well, I have an interesting take on it. The original Star Wars movies hit me at the prime impressionable ages of 9, 12, and 15. Star Wars blew me away because it came out of nowhere (no Internet of course and thus no pre-release hype). Nothing will ever top that initial feeling of that huge Star Destroyer rumbling overhead in the opening scene. Then just as I was about to hit my teen years, Empire comes out with it's darker story and blows me away again. Then, well, there was ROTJ ;). As a 15 year-old I was probably becoming more cynical so the whole Ewok thing seemed ridiculous to me but of course the Luke/Vader/Emperor stuff was gold.

So I could certainly take the route of so many others my age (and somewhat younger like Cheapy and Wombat) and say the new ones ruined all that for me. And yeah, I was a little WTF at the midichlorian stuff because it just seemed like too much info and sort of sterilized the force into a measurable/physical thing.

HOWEVER, I do think Lucas nailed the opening of that movie by showing us two Jedi in their prime using the full range of their powers. That was something only ever hinted at in the original movies that I always wanted to see. So I'd say Ep I actually brought out my lost childhood a bit and gave me all sorts of warm, fuzzy, nostalgic feelings along with the WTF moments. Also, I thought the whole "phantom menace" aspect was well done with showing Palpatine as the conniving ultimate evil hidden in plain sight. And I really didn't mind Jar-Jar because that long summer it was out (in which I happened to be unemployed for about 2 months) I went to the cheapo theater with my daughter a few times to see it (she was 2 1/2 at the time) and she was amused by him so it kept her interested. So now I have fond memories of spending that time with her because of Ep I. Now, Ep II was a bit of a mess, especially the awkward "love" scenes Cheapy mentioned - they still make me cringe. But it had its moments and so did Ep III which managed to recapture a bit of that childhood longing for seeing the whole story. I remember reading WAY back in the 80's how it was supposed to be 9 movies total and thinking how awesome that would be (with my only source of info a very much anticipated monthly mailing of the Star Wars Fan Club newsletter - and the rest left up to my imagination). Well, it may not have turned out as great as it could have, but I'm still glad he made them rather than NOT making them.

While there's not a lot of reasons I'm happy about being as old as I am (birthday was yesterday :cry:), I do feel sorry for most of the people here on CAG for whom Star Wars was just another movie they saw for the first time on VHS tape on a tiny screen. I don't remember much from before I was in high school but those moments (especially Star Wars and ESB) stand out very clearly. Hell, pretty soon there will be people coming of age who haven't even seen the prequel trilogy in the theater!

Anyway, just get me an awesome Star Wars Battlefront III and a worthy successor to KOTOR and I'll be happy ;).

(My kids have actually been on a binge of playing SW BF II this summer - it gets more play on my 360 than any actual 360 titles!).

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/midi.html

Star Wars Midichlorians Midichlorian Count Counts List
for the Major Star Wars Characters Character

Anakin Skywalker / Darth Vader = 27,700

Darth Sidious / Emperor Palpatine (with Kyber Crystal) = 20,500

Yoda = 17,700

Luke Skywalker = 14,500

Princess Leia Organa Skywalker Solo = 14,500

Aenon Jurtis (Most powerful Jedi Master prior to Yoda) = 14,200

Shintor Beerus (Ancient Jedi Master) = 13,900

Ce Ce Denowai (the most powerful female Jedi) = 13,700

Ben Skywalker (Star Wars Episodes 7 8 9) = 13,700

Anakin Solo (Star Wars Episode vii viii ix) = 13,700

Darth Plagueis (Darth Sidious' Sith Master) = 13,600

Count Dooku / Darth Tyranus = 13,500

Obi-Wan Kenobi = 13,400

Kaja Sinis (the first Jedi Knight) = 13,250

Kyle Katarn = 12,200

Mace Windu = 12,000

Darth Maul = 12,000

General Grievous = 11,900

Kit Fisto = 11,800

Exar Kun (Dark Lord of the Sith during the Sith War) = 11,700

Shindor (Dark Jedi leader from Star Wars Episodes 7 8 9) = 11,500

Yaddle = 11,300

Xanatos (Qui-Gon Jinn's former Jedi apprentice) = 11,300

Darth Seer (Founder of the modern Sith Order) = 11,200

Plo Koon = 11,100

Mara Jade Skywalker = 11,000

Darth Malak (Knights of the Old Republic video game) = 10,800

Jedi Master Corran Horn (from the New Jedi Order series of Star Wars novels books) = 10,700

Ki Adi Mundu = 10,600

Darth Bane = 10,500

Nebar Foxis (Mega Powerful Jedi Master, who is SuperShadow's acting role in Star Wars Episode 3 Revenge of the Sith) = 10,400

Joruus C'baoth = 10,350

Darth Imperius = 10,300

Shaak Ti = 10,300

Tahari Vehlia (New Jedi Order books novels) = 10,300

Echuu Shen Jon = 10,200

Darth Revan = 10,200 (Knights of the Old Republic video game)

Jedi Master Kam Solusar (New Jedi Order novels books) = 10,100

Aalya Secura = 10,000

Qui-Gon Jinn = 10,000

Average Jedi = 10,000

Assajj Ventress = 9,600

Naga Sadow (Dark Lord of the Sith that fled to Yavin 4) = 9,400

Jedi Master Adeus Hust = 9,300

Jacen Solo (New Jedi Order books novels) = 9,000

Jaina Solo (New Jedi Order novels books) = 9,000

Jedi Master Cihgal (New Jedi Order books novels) = 9,000

Darth Rage (Darth Sidious' Sith apprentice after Darth Maul) = 9,000

Jedi Master Tionne Solusar (New Jedi Order novels books) = 8,500

Dezar Looger (Dagobah Dark Jedi) = 8,400

Darth Xio Jade = 7,400

Chewbacca = 7,200

Tylus Liv = 7,100

Aurra Sing = 7,000

Need To be Considered for Training as a Jedi = 7,000

Padme Amidala = 4,700

Danni Quee (New Jedi Order Jedi Scientist)= 4,500

Aunt Beru Lars = 3,700

Shmi Skywalker (Anakin Skywalker's mother) = 3,300

Lando Calrissian = 3,300

Boba Fett= 1,500

Han Solo = 1,500

Jango Fett = 1,500

Uncle Owen Lars = 1,500

C3PO See Threepio = 0 Zero

R2D2 Artoo Detoo = 0 Zero

Wombat = -1

This guy has a really great site .

My main problem with the Star Wars prequels is that they are just bad movies. Even if you ignore any "ravaged childhood" aspects and disregard all that entails the movies are just bad. The first movie eg has the under water chase which #1 has no point but be an inspiration for a theme park ride and #2 has the exact same schtick twice in a row. (Fish tries to eat them, bigger fish eats it.) You need to have a pretty fucking short attention span to be surprised the second time. The core of the story (Palpatine manipulating people) is pretty nice, but unfortunately it's easy to miss since the rest of the story is so stupid. The dialog is awkward and the acting is bad (it takes some real talent to get this poor a performance out of so many good actors). It's pretty sad when you have oscar class actors being out-acted by CG characters. And then Lucas had to put all the old characters in this movie as well, making the world seem so much smaller.

Now that we have a bad plot with actors give poor performances reading horrible lines we top it off by sloppy editing. It's ok to have a long movie if your story actually fills out the parts. Unfortunately the Star Wars prequels fills it out with more CG instead.

I really don't have many comments on the other two movies because I haven't seen them that many times. I tried rewatching the second movie before seing #3 and ended up skipping to the end. (BTW, I recalled the Yoda fight being teh awesome; but it turned out it's not as awesome when you're not numb from watching 2 hours of "I hate sand" drivel.)

The 3rd prequel I only saw once. That was enough. The pivotal moment in the entire Star Wars franchise, perhaps even more so that "I am your father", should be when Anakin turns to the dark side. Instead we got: (whiny mode) "but the dark side is bad...." and then without any acting or motivation (evil mode) "...and now I'm evil, muh haw haw haw".

For me one of few good moments in the prequels is in the first one where QuiGon and Sith-whatshisface are going at it and the doors close them off. The jedi passes the time by sitting and meditating while the sith pases back and forth. Not exactly super subtle, but it's one of few places where something happens where the characters don't tell what they are doing with exposition as well. (No audience member should be left confused by the movie.)

I can't say I felt betrayed or anything by the movies though. It just made it clear to me that whatever ability Lucas once had it's now long gone.

can anyone help me out? Im trying to find the time in the podcast that wombat goes into his star wars rant. Id like to share it with a buddy but I don't want to listen to the whole podcast again...

[quote name='miqspot']can anyone help me out? Im trying to find the time in the podcast that wombat goes into his star wars rant. Id like to share it with a buddy but I don't want to listen to the whole podcast again...[/QUOTE]

I don't know exactly but it is pretty close to the end.

Hast - I agree with you for the most part. Though I would add seeing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go at it with all their powers against the battle droids in the opening sequence was pretty neat too - finally, Jedi that aren't old men, late-to-the-party teenagers, or hulking half-machines.

As for Ep III, yeah, the whole turn to the dark side was not as it should have been. Really, he should have devoted at least a movie and a half to just that aspect because it should have taken longer. Sure, we had the sand people slaughter in Ep II which was part of it, and Anakin talking back a few times to Obi-Wan. But there should have been more. However, I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be either. There was some conflict going on there and he was put in a spot to make a choice (save the Emperor from Mace Windu so he might save Padme) which was the trigger. It was sort of, almost there but it did just feel a little off. And I did feel the writing/acting took a big step up in that one from Ep II, in any case (though that's not saying much, unfortunately).

Anyway, I think we've hijacked the CAGcast thread with enough Star Wars geekiness ;).

[quote name='io']I don't know exactly but it is pretty close to the end.

Hast - I agree with you for the most part. Though I would add seeing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan go at it with all their powers against the battle droids in the opening sequence was pretty neat too - finally, Jedi that aren't old men, late-to-the-party teenagers, or hulking half-machines.

As for Ep III, yeah, the whole turn to the dark side was not as it should have been. Really, he should have devoted at least a movie and a half to just that aspect because it should have taken longer. Sure, we had the sand people slaughter in Ep II which was part of it, and Anakin talking back a few times to Obi-Wan. But there should have been more. However, I don't think it was as bad as you make it out to be either. There was some conflict going on there and he was put in a spot to make a choice (save the Emperor from Mace Windu so he might save Padme) which was the trigger. It was sort of, almost there but it did just feel a little off. And I did feel the writing/acting took a big step up in that one from Ep II, in any case (though that's not saying much, unfortunately).

Anyway, I think we've hijacked the CAGcast thread with enough Star Wars geekiness ;).[/QUOTE]

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I just found it!!!

[quote name='io']

Anyway, I think we've hijacked the CAGcast thread with enough Star Wars geekiness ;).[/QUOTE]

Boring conversation anyway, :)

[quote name='Wombat']Boring conversation anyway, :)[/QUOTE]
Exactly, there are no lines like that in the new movies. Well, none that are intentionally funny anyways.

I did quite enjoy the jedi fighting. Both in the beginning and in the fight wil Darth Maul in the end (DM uses the force to fling an object in the room at the door so it opens). The problem is that if you played any of the Jedi Knight games you had already done that, and even more impressive stuff, yourself. I never got tired of force pulling a stormtrooper and then throwing the light sabre as a boomerang through him.

But yeah... these are not the conversations you are looking for.

bread's done
Back