CAGcast #172: A Diabolical Unboxing

[quote name='Hostile']No company has yet to complain about gamesharing and it's even more telling they don't block the gamesharing option when I believe they have the choice.[/QUOTE]
Believe it or not, there are plenty of developers that don't like gamesharing and probably don't have a say in whether their games can or can't allow it. I don't think I've heard of a PSN game not allowing it (Warhawk and the other retail games on PSN don't count), so I don't think it's something they could actually enable or disable. Dylan Cuthbert, of Q-Games, made his unenthusiastic opinion of gamesharing known recently on his twitter feed, which made NeoGAF go nuts for some reason.
[quote name='CheapyD']https://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wc...ps3_slim:ss&ref=http://www.sony.com/index.php[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's a retailer. I doubt anyone at SCEA is actually running the Sony Store, so they're a third-party that's upcharging for it like most everyone else.

Guys, I enjoy all your shows it really helps get me through my weekly slog. This week's show was especially enjoyable. I can't say exactly why though. I think maybe the parts where Wombat leads is seeming less forced? Or maybe I'm just getting used to it.

I miss the Cags on News theme song though...Wombat's a CAG why not play it?

Anyways, thanks for the CAGcast!

[quote name='Gamer SDP']
Cheapy, you have to get more screen time and be in the public eye if you want your business to grow, especially if you plan on retiring by 40 :D.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with that bit... I was first aware of CAG because of your youtube channel... I think you should start building your youtube audience up a bit more... make some cool videos.. some video reviews or something... then like me... people will flood over to the website.... also we get to see that gorgeous shiny head of yours again... ;)

Mystery rapper is Sabrina. Wombat has some pretty awesome voice-editing software.

I'm an international listener (live in Sweden). I know who Howard Stern is and I really loved the story about your visit to the Stern show. So there.

First off you guys need to get your fact straight and realize that Microsoft has little to no exclusives. Saying that Star Ocean is no longer a 360 exclusive is hilarious (since it was first hinted as a PS3 exclusive). Have you not seen Microsoft's cock blocking time exclusive maneuver yet? What Microsoft needs to do is actually come out with a new franchise from Microsoft. Well they tried that and they have only had one HUGE success of Halo (witch they did not really develop and just purchased Bungie after they saw Halo at a game show). After X-Box and the failures of games such as Azurik, Blinx, Brute Force, Fuzion Frenzy, Grabbed by the Goulies, Sudeki, and Tao Fang shows that they have shitty studios.

Than the list of games that they did do well and where sales flops like Fable, Phantom Dust, Viva Pinata and others. Even this generation the newest franchise is Crackdown wich is a good game, but they need more games like Crackdown and quit spending money on time exclusive games.

Nintendo also has this flaw (no new franchises, just re-hashed and sequels) but this generation they introduced new games but no one has the new franchises this year like Sony. They have given us Uncharted, Resistance, Little Big Planet, Motorstorm, and Heavenly Sword this generation. Microsoft has given us....Crackdown.....I guess I can throw in Halo Wars as well so that is only two Microsoft new franchise exclusives and they had a whole year ahead of the PS3. If Microsoft fails to pump out exclusives and just get timed exclusives as a consumer I would rather get a game from Microsoft than a multi-platform that will come out with better features in a few months for the PS3 such as Star Ocean and Tales.

Oh, one more thing I did not forget about my favorite multi-player game of all time Gears of War, Microsoft once again owns the rights to only the first two games and now its Epics property to do what they want. I have no doubt that Microsoft will again pay big money to make sure that does not come over to PS3. But to read fanboys post on why would a 360 owner want to buy a PS3 the point is Microsoft is lacking real exclusives and is just getting timed exclusives. In some cases when we wait we get better and more content. So is it really worth time exclusiveness to possibly get less content?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a sign of how non-controversial this episode was that there are so few comments.

Will either of you get the new Mario & Luigi game? I don't know that I ever heard either of you talk about the other games, but it strikes me it could be a fun game for the DS. Then again, since Cheapy has the iPhone and Wombat the iPod Touch, I'm guessing neither of you play your DS much anymore (and if your PSP is like mine, it's collecting dust). Is there a genre of game that you think would make you take your DS with you instead of the iPod Touch, when on the subway/train and such?

/tk

[quote name='alphabrian']WOMBAT, i think i know who the mystery rapper is!
is it justin mcelroy? it sure does sound like him to me![/QUOTE]
We have a winner!

First of, love the cast. I've been listening for about a year and about two weeks ago I went back and started listening to the casts from episode 1. I'm now at about 80. The episodes may differ, but they're never bad.
Anyhoo, I just wanted to make this comment regarding this show: The Zune? On a mac? Really? Have someone been smoking crack? Do you really think that ANY mac user would chose a Zune over an IPhone? So why should Microsoft spend even a single dollar on developing software for the mac? And, I wanna point out, although I prefer using the mac, I actually use both Mac and PC.
And again, great show, keep up the good work.

And by the way, to everyone who complains week after week about the show going downhill, what is your deal? If you don't like the show, just stop listening. Personally, I have been listening to the show since near the beginning and haven't noticed a decline in quality, and I'm getting a little tired of hearing Cheapy read disparaging comments at the beginning of each episode. Constructive criticism is one thing, but many of the comments don't seem to fall into that category and come off as merely a bunch of hot air.

[quote name='sam16']And by the way, to everyone who complains week after week about the show going downhill, what is your deal? If you don't like the show, just stop listening. Personally, I have been listening to the show since near the beginning and haven't noticed a decline in quality, and I'm getting a little tired of hearing Cheapy read disparaging comments at the beginning of each episode. Constructive criticism is one thing, but many of the comments don't seem to fall into that category and come off as merely a bunch of hot air.[/QUOTE]

don't worry, Cheapy is bulletproof. it's defintiely amusing that some people will keep listening even tho they "hate" it. i think Cheapy finds that amusing as well. ;)

[quote name='DarkNessBear']I'm glad CheapyD won that Howard Stern visit for 10,000 bucks. Cause if it was $10,000.99 CheapyD would have not touched that shit![/QUOTE]

LMFAO, favorite quote of the thread, hahahahha

Love the show Cheapy and Wombat. I haven't posted in a while, but I am sure as hell listening. The fact that you don't only talk about games makes the show different from all the rests. We all love it. I love hearing about your stories, even when their weird/gross/disturbing. I'm looking at you poop on the floor story.

Hey Cheapy, have you ever heard of the The Scanner Price Accuracy Voluntary Code? Probably not, but its a system here in Canada that helps with your PS3 for $299 problem.

Its a simple system. If you buy an item that rings up for more money than the price tag says, you get the item for free, or $10 off the TAG price, if it costs more than $10.

Also, if you have MORE than 1 of the same item, then you get every item after the first one for the price that the price tag is.

Basically, if you buy a PS3 somewhere that's advertising for $299 and it scans at $299.99, you get $10 off the ad price, so you'd get the PS3 for $289.

Now it doesn't seem like a big deal for a PS3, but the cheaper the item, the better the deal. If you buy a game at Best Buy that's supposed to be $19.99 and it rings up higher than that, (usually this happends if the game just went off sale and they forgot to remove the tag) you'll get the game for $9.99

Most places in Canada KNOW to enforce this, but bigger places like Wal-mart won't mention it, and would rather pay the fine for not doing it cause half their prices are wrong anyway. You just have to mention the system to them and they'll do it.

Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone in the whole $299 Vs. $299.99 bullshit.

Hello Cheapy and Wombat,

I have been visiting CAG for several years now and just started getting into the podcast. I was suprised at how loose you are with your money Cheapy. $3,000 for business class tickets? I understand that you are a big guy, but with that and the 10 grand for the Howard Stern thing, I mean that is more than my entertainment budget for the next 5 years. Anyway, I am glad you are doing well and enjoy the website.

The thing I can't fathom is Cheapy's support of DLC and digital distribution. It seems that you will buy anything that makes you not have to get up and change a disc. Here is how I see it. First, you make your money on CAG with mostly store promotion stuff of actual (physical) items - PSN store, XBL marketplace, and Steam are the exceptions. This is because these physical stores are where the majority of people get their content. Without these physical stores, I think that the site would not be doing nearly as well as it is, so I have trouble fathoming why you embrace digital distribution so readily.

I am against digital distribution because it will keep the prices inflated for way longer as there is not shelf space to clear - like XBL - stuff almost never gets cheaper and when it does it is years later. I like blu-ray and don't want the digital distribution to succeed since I can rent a physical DVD at redbox for $1 and not pay $5 for a downloadable movie (HD or not). I also like being able to revisit content at my leisure. I have a large game collection and will admit that I almost never go back to it, but I own the physical product. People I talk to say that you will always be able to download it if you already did. I ask - what if they stop making the product available for download? What if the company goes belly-up (recent events in the US economy should show us that nobody is "too big to fail") I want to OWN something, not just the receipt.

Other than that rant, I was wondering what you guys think about the rumor of PSN starting to carry downloadable PS2 games, but Sony not making the PS3 Slim have backward compatability - do you think this was a deliberate move to make more money via digital distribution off of the PS2 titles? I think this bites hard even though I have a BC PS3 and won't be buying any PS2 games via download any time soon.

Thanks for the site and the podcast.

CheapyD and Wombat go good while grilling some burgers thanks for helping make my Barbeque fun!

I'm diggin the Robocop SB for my phone, they also have an Army of Darkness one that you should check out.

bread's done
Back