CAGcast #202: The E3 2010 Not So Limited Collector's Edition

Overall, I think Cheapy crossed the line a bit with his seemingly dismissive attitude toward his and Wombat's friendship, but Wombat has been known to be a little too sensitive in certain things as well - this made for a bad combination which turned out awkward and kind of sad. I believe Cheapy when he said that he was not purposely being mean, but it kind of came off like that to Wombat and it was apparent on the podcast that it was taken that way as well. Cheapy needs to think about his choice of words a little more carefully and Wombat needs to understand that Cheapy, among countless others, sometimes act and say things they do not exactly mean.

As for Shipwreck, he was not directly to blame; his part was mostly indirect and it seemed to me to be done in a fun spirit, so not really a foul on his part, although it would have been nice to see him step up and say something in Wombat's defense or rebuke Cheapy or something of that nature.

[quote name='Interfeci']But the community is whining a lot about the entire situation. We can whine in our own situations, but all of our comments about the whole thing isn't going to change any of their personalities.[/QUOTE]

But the community can still feel "connected" to these people in some way. I mean, if you spend years listening to people, as they move apart, as their children are born, as they get sued and switch jobs, you start to feel invested in their lives, even if you're not actually.

So it becomes more of a "venting" than a true attempt at fixing anything. I can't speak for everyone, but I really doubt anyone that has called Cheapy an asshole did so to fix him. They probably did it just to let him know that he's an asshole. Meaning they probably did it just to voice their displeasure.

Obviously you don't think this is a proper course to take, and that's ok. The best thing about apathy is that it doesn't require action. If you think it's pointless, you can sit there quietly being over it with no effort at all. Others get to vent, you get to sit there uninvolved, and everybody wins.

[quote name='Interfeci']Plus, I meant that everyone in the show is probably older than I am. I have no idea what I meant by that additional note. Not sure what your rant was, but it probably wouldn't have meant much of anything.[/QUOTE]

That was my mistake, your sentence structure and my eyes made it look like you were joking about being older than an adult. Which is why I called you Father Time, trying to be funny. Just a mix up.

[quote name='Interfeci']I wonder what kind of backlash there's going to be once the next CAGcast comes out.[/QUOTE]

I doubt there will be any. Though I'm curious if Wombat will start badmouthing them (jokingly of course) in the first ten seconds, or if he'll hold on for a minute.

Last edited by a moderator:
Next weeks show will probably begin with a joke. "Hey i'm your host, wombat hater and welcome to CAG Cast episod 203." etc

Still no real apology from Cheapy.. just a half assed tweet that I think was pretty empty.

I have been listening to the cagcast for a little more then two years now and have always found it entertaining. This is my first post in the show thread and I am posting to support Wombat and say I appreciate everything you do for the show:)

Now as far as Shipwreck and Cheapy's comments go, i found that the majority were harmless playful remarks as I have come to expect with you three.

However the most cringe worthy remark was when Cheapy said that "I don't really know you" to Wombat. Now that was just fucking rude dude. I mean I think I know where you are coming from in that you don't know his tendencies in person (As was outlined in the way he steals food off your plate) but the way it sounded when you said it, you came off as a real jerk.

How many shows have you done with him and you still don't know his personality by now??

Come on Cheapy, you need to apologize for that remark, it was very rude.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Next weeks show will probably begin with a joke. "Hey i'm your host, wombat hater and welcome to CAG Cast episod 203." etc

Still no real apology from Cheapy.. just a half assed tweet that I think was pretty empty.[/QUOTE]

Lol who would bother to read his clowns twitter? I boggles my mind that people think he is enjoyable enough to repeatedly listen to him on this podcast let alone care what he thinks about anything

Looks like it was the Gay Gamer Cast this week. Jilted gay lover. Longs for yesterday when he and host were exclusive. But now another man has come between them. And host no longer loves the sad jilted man as he once did. The new man is younger with more money and less responsibility. And isn't as loud in bed or in the bathroom or at the dinner table.

Hopefully you guys can kiss and make up. Muahhahaha.

And come on, we know all 3 of you shared a room at E3. Come clean I say. :p

E3 was pretty meh as far as games go. I agree. I think gamers are due to get tired of this gen games very soon. We're on the 2nd sequels of many franchises on the 360 at least. And that is going to have folks wishing for next-gen by next E3.

It used to be we got a next-gen console for $299 5 years later. Now we get a patched this-gen console for $299 5 years later. Cough, 360 Slim, Cough.

3Ds looks alright, but between 2011 release date and not being able to see the 3d on the 'net it is rip van winkle time until next March. Doesn't help I'm not a big handheld gamer.

Most impressed by the Nintendo conference because they put out some new or haven't seen in awhile gamey gamer games to play this fall. I'll be getting at least 3 of them.

Kinect will bomb. They just showed us Wii games playable with Kinect. Tech still looks awkward and I have a feeling many tech issues are going to creep up in the real world. Whole package is too expensive. Wii will go to $179 and then $149 with better games to combat Kinect and Move.

MOve tech looks better, but they didn't show the controls being so much better than the Wii's.

Leave you with this tangential observation: Wiimote/nunchuk are the future of controls. Hands are apart equals comfort. Pointing functionality and some motion control in addition to standard buttons, analog stick and dpad. Old school mixed with new. TEch can be improved and button/stick layout improved as well, but that's the future controller.

Before this show, I had never before felt compelled to write in. Sounds like many others are feeling the same way.
I do think Wombat can take things a bit too personally at times. Which may have more to do with his Wifes hatred of Cheapy than his own.
But this time he has good reason.
You can tell he tries hard to blow things off. But if I were him, I probably would have reacted the same way to "I don't really know you". Of course on top of that, They felt the need to complain about his "loud" voice, his constant complaining (lobster), his willingness to accept free swag, etc.
Sorry Cheapy, but Wombat is not the one running a website that's making a ton of money.
Your head/ego may be getting a bit too big for your shoulders.
I didn't even bother listening to past the second hour. Good luck ever getting back your carma. I doubt the podcast will ever be the same.

As for E3, I guess if I'm to take Cheapy's input on it, I may as well save my money and not bother buying anything new for the next couple years, because we all know that the next 1 to 2 years will be spent with all three consoles pushing motion control. And Cheapy has already decided (whether successfull or not) he will do nothing but Bash it into the ground every time.
Personally, I'm not confident in it, but I'm willing to at least give it a chance.

Make a good choice, take a small break, and start up the Wombat/Shipwreck show. Perhaps then we can hear more about games and less about "taking a dump". If I needed that, I could always listen to your Idol Howard Stern.

[quote name='atomsk']wombat has some pretty womanly tendencies regarding his moods. Down to the tone of voice. Just man up a little, wombat.[/QUOTE]

Wow, sexist much?

Am I the only one who finds it sort of funny how butt-hurt people are getting over this. The way I see it Cheapy and Shipwreck went way overboard with the ribbing, and Wombat was a little over-sensitive. They are all adults and worked it out, so I really don't understand why some of you took this so personally. I guess podcasts are pretty serious business.

[quote name='TheH2s']Don't forget the story about Wombat going to sleep and asking Cheapy to wake him up so they all can go to the Halo Reach party and conveniently Cheapy says he "...forgot", and then him and Shipwreck go to the event. What a freakin bummer for Wombat.[/QUOTE]

wow, just wow, if thats true then cheapy really is a huge douchebag, I always thought Cheapy was a genuinely nice guy who just had a bit of self-centeredness to him. i mean he does good things for charity and stuff but damn. Now i won't be able to enjoy the cagcast anymore, call me overdramatic but i don't wanna listen to a guy i don't have any respect for talk about anything, any way this was just an honest mistake? seems like you would notice the 3rd person missing though...

[quote name='Zark7']I would expect to hear apologies too, but my guess is that Shipwreck will mean it, and Cheapy will just say it to appease everyone who thinks he should, not because its heartfelt. The fact that Cheapy hasn't posted a single thing in this thread about the issue sort of reinforces that for me. That and his lame Twitter post that was pretty weak and not really an apology. All of which will probably make next week's podcast just as awkward as this one.[/QUOTE]

Quote For Truth is what the kids say i believe! or maybe It's "This". Either way I agree with you sir.

[quote name='saunderscowie']Next weeks show will probably begin with a joke. "Hey i'm your host, wombat hater and welcome to CAG Cast episod 203." etc

Still no real apology from Cheapy.. just a half assed tweet that I think was pretty empty.[/QUOTE]

Yeah Cheapy does seem to prefer to just laugh matters off and throw away some halfassed empty apology instead of ever discussing them seriously

Wombat stop being a vagina clown and grow some skin. Good friends bash each other for being loud, answering your phone in wrong moments, living up the Jewish stereotypes by taking swag. You were obviously embarrassed by taking food off Cheapy's plate and he put you on blast. Telling Cheapy to upgrade his hotel room to seem his entitled to it. Shipwreck putting him on blast about the lobster, bowling ROFL so funny.

Wombat you're gonna be you loud and this is you're first time at E3 while Ship and Cheapy had their own flow going on. They apologized group hug stop being butt hurt.

So, let me summarize:

90% Wombat was right to feel insulted
9% Homophobic remarks about Wombat
1% Actually support Cheapy without the need to question Wombat's sexual orientation

Idk what the big deal is. Cheapy and Boatcrash were sort of d*ckish on the show, but it sounded like Wombat had acted kind of douche-y the whole time they were at E3, taking their food, answering the phone and being loud, etc. Everyone came out even in my opinion...just a little beef amongst friends.

Wombat. You should have said....

"Oh ya, we'll the jerk store called and they're running out of you!"

And if that didn't work you could always tell him you slept with his wife!

Well, that was quite awkward.

I'm on the Wombat support crowd, so I won't repeat what everyone's repeating here, because now we're just beating a dead horse. I just hope you guys found a way to fix things up.

Did ANY of you guys get to try Bulletstorm? Out of all the other "yay, it's another FPS yawn" FPSes out there, this one stood out because it had a bit of an arcade-ish feel with emphasis on style. A sort of Devil May Cry for FPSes, which IMO is a damn fresh new take on things. The over the top stuff you can do to "combo" your kills seems mad fun, I'm surprised it was glossed over so quickly in the podcast.

[quote name='GeorgeCostanza']Wombat. You should have said....

"Oh ya, we'll the jerk store called and they're running out of you!"

And if that didn't work you could always tell him you slept with his wife![/QUOTE]

nah he should have just told cheapy to go fuck himself.

I just hope this isn't the jump-the-shark moment of the CAGcast, the moment where the show is never as good as it once was.

[quote name='lokizz']nah he should have just told cheapy to go fuck himself.[/QUOTE]

That would take balls dude and he isn't going to ruin his gravy train.

Look Wombat isn't going anywhere else for the simple fact that no one else is going to get him free gaming baubles or pay for his way to E3. It would be a good career move for him to go to a site where they put on a real podcast and he might be able to make a career out of gaming journalism. Sticking around doing a joint for a forums only site isn't going to get him anywhere but he isn't going to leave. :cry:

[quote name='Keirnoth']Did ANY of you guys get to try Bulletstorm? Out of all the other "yay, it's another FPS yawn" FPSes out there, this one stood out because it had a bit of an arcade-ish feel with emphasis on style. A sort of Devil May Cry for FPSes, which IMO is a damn fresh new take on things. The over the top stuff you can do to "combo" your kills seems mad fun, I'm surprised it was glossed over so quickly in the podcast.[/QUOTE]

I tried Bulletstorm. It was actually the first game I went for when I got to the show floor. It's got a lot of promise, but the short demo left me wondering if it would be entertaining for a whole game. I seemed to be kicking people a lot, but I'm hopeful that it can stay fresh.

As always, it's good to hear about your guys' adventures through the world of E3 and video games. But, I am considering using your Go Daddy coupons to create WeHeartWombat.com

Seems like Wombat has some annoying traits that got on Cheapy and Shipwreck's nerves, but the double team bashing was crazy. It was pretty visible that Wombat felt pretty bad during the show.

Next week on Asshole Cast #2, Cheapy D and Shipwreck join forces to insult the elderly and those too young to defend themselves for their own personal entertainment.

Not to be a jerk to Wombat but the bashing was kinda interesting.. I mean not that I want to see his "feelings" hurt but it was nice to see them talk about something other then gaming.

Wow, Shipwreck sounds like a girl when he was talking on how all the sites that gave Rage E3 Game of Show Awards. Ship mentions that it just looks nice and that the game lacks a "soul". That is exactly what girls say, "I do not care how he looks as long as he has a nice personality" And I have to agree with Shipwreck, when it comes to games I get off on better story and gameplay than I do over graphics any day. But when it comes to banging a chick, she better have the big boobs and be good looking, I do not care about her personality at all.....

[quote name='abouttandoutt']Not to be a jerk to Wombat but the bashing was kinda interesting.. I mean not that I want to see his "feelings" hurt but it was nice to see them talk about something other then gaming.[/QUOTE]

You do know what this website is for right?

[quote name='Falion']Shipwreck's apology was very sincere, and I doubt there will be any awkwardness between him and Wombat in the future. He was insensitive for piling on while Wombat was knocked down, but it was all pretty minor stuff. Cheapy, on the other hand, had a total Artie Lange "I'm not your bro" moment.[/QUOTE]
Lmao, this was exactly what I was thinking while listening. It was awkward, all of the "Well, I wouldn't use the word love", and Wombat talking about how his favorite part of the show was hanging out with Ship and Cheapy and then basically getting shot down for it. Cheapy stressing multiple times about how he doesn't really know Wombat was awkward as well. The E3 discussion stuff was great as usual, but the talk about their experiences hanging out with each other and the negativity towards Wombat was straight up uncomfortable.

They're all adults, though, so I don't think this will turn into some big issue. At least I hope not...

And much love for Wombat. Keep on keepin' on.

[quote name='Falion']Shipwreck's apology was very sincere, and I doubt there will be any awkwardness between him and Wombat in the future. He was insensitive for piling on while Wombat was knocked down, but it was all pretty minor stuff. Cheapy, on the other hand, had a total Artie Lange "I'm not your bro" moment.[/QUOTE]
Lmao, this was exactly what I was thinking while listening. It was awkward as hell, all of the "Well, I wouldn't use the word love", and Wombat talking about how his favorite part of the show was hanging out with Ship and Cheapy and then basically getting shot down for it. Also, Cheapy stressing multiple times about how he doesn't really know Wombat seemed like an incredibly weird thing to say. Don't get me wrong, the E3 discussion stuff was great as usual, but the talk about their experiences hanging out with each other and the negativity towards Wombat was straight up uncomfortable to listen to.

They're all adults, though, so I don't think this will turn into some big issue. At least I hope not...

And much love for Wombat. Keep on keepin' on.

I understand that motion control isn't most peoples bag, however I think shitting on it every week isn't very productive.

It's coming......it's real.....and I want to know which one my kid will be getting for Christmas. If they end up being true garbage, I would like to know this is based on the final product hands on and not the continued "I don't want it" opinions.

You three all are gonna have great make up sex when this is over.

Cheapy is always a bitch when it comes to Wombat, I'm not sure why people are upset about it. I wouldn't mind if we lose Wombat, Shipwreck at least knows games. I never understood how Wombat ended up on a gaming podcast in the first place.

Hmm... lots of hating on this weeks podcast. Yeah, Cheapy, you picked on Wombat too much.

I love this site, and I love you guys, but "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." and all that crap...

By criticizing Wombat over the Nyko bag, I have to ask, are you going to demand payment of the flight and hotel costs associated with some of the gaming events Shipwreck and Wombat went to this past year to offset your perceived sense of what is right and wrong? Having been to E3 myself, I know a lot of the schwag is crap, but there are always a couple of standout pieces each year, and you should not begrudge him the bag, afterall that is what Nyko is giving the bags away for anyway. Can you honestly say that over the past few years you haven't scored something cool yourself? Limo rides to publisher events? Free concerts? Food? All paid for by the same dollars that paid for the bag.

A little decorum guys.

Great show! I really loved how it was so extended. Also, I completely agree with Wombat about DC Universe Online, by charging a monthly fee they have made it so I won't be playing it, just because I don't feel a 60 dollar purchase of a game needs to be followed by 15 dollar a month payments to actually play.

wombat bashing was hilarious.. yes, wombat has some thin skin and wears JORTS (jean shorts), and Mope's through the last 10 minutes.

Cheapy was stoned like a champ during the e3 cagacast...

anyways, good show, looking forward to the next.

[quote name='abouttandoutt']Not to be a jerk to Wombat but the bashing was kinda interesting.. I mean not that I want to see his "feelings" hurt but it was nice to see them talk about something other then gaming.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it's not like they talk about 'stuff other than gaming' every single week at the beginning of the show.

[quote name='atomsk']wombat has some pretty womanly tendencies regarding his moods. Down to the tone of voice. Just man up a little, wombat.[/QUOTE]

Says the guy with a pink haired anime girl as his avatar :p

LEAVE WOMBAT ALONE!!!

picture.php

[quote name='CaptainJoel']Great show! I really loved how it was so extended. Also, I completely agree with Wombat about DC Universe Online, by charging a monthly fee they have made it so I won't be playing it, just because I don't feel a 60 dollar purchase of a game needs to be followed by 15 dollar a month payments to actually play.[/QUOTE]

I think it would be worth it if they offer 2 months free because honestly, how many games do you play beyond two months? They would also have to do constant monthly updates worth the $15, which I doubt they can really do without keeping back some content from the launch.

Well, I just started listening to the podcast a few months ago, and since then I went back and listened over time to 20 or so old episodes. Even though these guys are far from the authorities on gaming, I usually enjoy their banter/personalities/opinions, so I've enjoyed the show.

I doubt I'll add anything here that hasn't already been said, but it is kind of annoying how badly Cheapy tries to ape Howard Stern. Stern consistently acts the megalomaniac who insults his friends/guests/wife in order to create radio drama and boost ratings, and he gets away with because he's a celebrity. Cheapy runs an obscure gaming website with an even more obscure podcast, so its a bit harder to justify...He's pulled the same Stern-esque tricks for awhile now, it seems (like calling Wombat out to Major Nelson when he was a guest), but it really adds nothing to the show. I don't listen to a gaming podcast for the awkward moments.

And, Jesus, Shipwreck, could you try any harder to get the cool kid to like you? No wonder you watch iCarly, dude. If it's like every other Disney/Nick drama, I'm sure it has life lessons about the unimportance of being popular that should better inform your behavior.

[quote name='TheH2s']Don't forget the story about Wombat going to sleep and asking Cheapy to wake him up so they all can go to the Halo Reach party and conveniently Cheapy says he "...forgot", and then him and Shipwreck go to the event. What a freakin bummer for Wombat.[/QUOTE]

Wow thats fucked up.

bread's done
Back