CAGcast #204: 11 Minute Deadlock

Re: things you get with PSN+

I think it was Cheapy who asked about whether you get to keep the 'free' DLC that comes with PSN+ membership after that membership lags.

It isn't free....and I can't stand when people say things like that. If you're not paying for PSN+, you would otherwise have to pay for this content. If you are paying the subscription fee for PSN+....you've made a down-payment on anything/everything you actually utilize that comes with the service.

I see the misuse of the word 'free' in commercials all the time. Adding things to a service you're already paying for doesn't mean that the new thing is free; if you can't get the new thing without paying for the old thing....then the new thing isn't free. I understand why marketers want to use the word - it has a certain magnetism that I'm sure most CAGs appreciate. Of course, if we aren't the ones to point out this obvious logical flaw....who will?

Just because you're not going to your digital wallet at the point of download, that doesn't make it free.

I haven't listen to the Cagcast in awhile because the podcast is no longer being uploaded to the Zune Marketplace.

[quote name='banodyne']:applause:Agreed. Doesn't seem fair since Activision doesn't have to put up any of the server costs and Xbox is actually doing them a favor since Activision doesn't have to host the CoD servers like they do for the PS3.[/QUOTE]

Servers? What servers? If COD had any servers, it wouldn't have to rechoose the host everytime they left.

I think the only servers they run on the PC and PS3 are those worthless matchmaking servers.

[quote name='bgame2']Shipwreck:

You mentioned your opinion that Sony is releasing the move a little prematurely (instead of during the holiday period like microsoft's kinect).

While I see your point, do you (as well as Cheapy and Wombat) think this could be just as attributable to bad marketing as it is to recognizing that Microsoft gained an advantage over them by releasing the 360 before the PS3. In other words, could this just be Sony's reacting to the pressure to release their peripheral first in hopes of gaining a 360-like advantage.

Thanks for your thoughts.[/QUOTE]

It's not bad marketing. The slim PS3 also released September of 2009 and it sold amazingly well thru the holidays, better than the 360.

Good show guys. i missed wombat at the end though, stupid technology!

Edit: also what's up with the really old JimmieMac voicemail that you played on a cast along time ago at the end? did i miss something in this show?

Cheapy
I hate that ZUNE video/marketplace too.
I just know I used to have a simple tab for VIDEOS, then one day I couldn't get to my videos without setting up the ZUNE update. Within minutes I had spam mail from MS to say thanks for buying and using your zune on the zune marketplace. WTF??? I don't have a zune I don't use the zune marketplace. I simply watch game trailers on my xbox. It's just a way of MS fudging and boosting the ZUNE numbers. Total MS-BS. I also hate that everytime I go into my videos the Transformers and X-files trailers are there and I can't get rid of them. I HATED the Transformer movie. Why can't I delete it???

Shipwreck
My iPhone 3GS slowed slightly and the battery life disappeared after upgrading to iOS4. I got in the habbit of clearing that multi-tasking Queue, I switched to the basic Apple supplied wallpaper and startup screens, then turned off a lot of the pointless push apps(like Facebook, etc etc), and did a shutdown and reboot. Now my battery life is close to normal. Before doing this my battery would go from 100% to 50% in an just over an hour on standby. Hope that helps.

just in. Blizzard has dropped the Real ID posting.

[quote name='Knoell']Can the zune marketplace be redownloaded, and work correctly after deletion?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Just launch it from the channel from the dashboard and you will get a prompt to d/l it and hen another to update it

[quote name='reddjoey']Yes. Just launch it from the channel from the dashboard and you will get a prompt to d/l it and hen another to update it[/QUOTE]

Cool, Thanks, I will delete it now, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt banishing myself from buying anything from the Zune Marketplace, not that I likely will, but I like to keep my options open.

[quote name='shafnitz']Cheapy: I found this out by accident a few weeks ago, if you delete the Zune marketplace item from your storage device, watching your game videos goes back to the old better way. I don't ever rent or buy anything from the Zune marketplace, so I'm not missing anything.[/QUOTE]

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. That's a great tip!

[quote name='bebop']Cheapy does have a point. I imagine he spends a large amount of time at the computer running CAG. But carpal tunnel at your age? Really?[/QUOTE]

It has nothing to do with age and everything to do with activity & ergonomics. I developed carpal tunnel from playing too much Quake. >

Cheapy:
I totally hummed the Sega sound to myself just before you did... creepy.

Also, about the PS+ content, pretty much every release from Sony says add-ons and themes are yours to keep forever, even after your subscription ends. The message just defaults to show for anything you download as part of the PS+ deals for some reason. My guess is they don't have any way set up to link addons and themes to expire like they do games. Games can have an expiration shown in their information, but add-ons install straight into the game data folder.

Great show as always guys. Glad that any bad will among the three of you seems to be thing of the past.
Just want to comment that the clip at the end of the show was freaky. What a self-absorbed guy!
Keep up the great work!

Great show guys I'm glad to hear your discussion of Singularity and I'm glad it turned out to be a decent game. However, I turned the podcast off after you were done discussing the games you'd been playing because I found your news and stuff to be retreading territory left to more dedicated game bloggers.

Shipwreck, what sort of pellets would you say were in that Sumo chair?

Great show guys, glad to see my question on there. Ship any info about Death Smiles coming to the UK or not would be hugely appreciated. Oh and if you see the other games that Cheapy expertly pronounced for a cheap price please let us fellow CAGs know and maybe you could pick up a few copies. $70 for a shmup is pretty painful on the wallet...

Shipwreck - I just listened to this week's CAGcast and I heard you are stuck on around 85,000 on Donkey Kong. I will bet anything you are on the third elevator stage and can't get past it - this is the level that you need more than pure skill to finish. You need to know how the level works in order to get past the springs.

Check out this diagram:

hp_beat_dk_f.jpg

You want to run on the "A" spring and only go up the ladder if a "B" spring follows. If you get another "A" spring you have to run back to the safe spot (4). Also this video explains it pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKs8HSVkKGc

From one Donkey Kong fan to the next, I hope this helps - once you get past here your score will skyrocket.

[quote name='supermidget']Is it just me, or has the Cagcast become one of the highlights of most people's week?[/QUOTE]

You say this as if its a bad thing!

I was late in listening to this, so I'm late in commenting also, but JimmieMac should have been banned an extra week for that blatant ripoff of Denis Leary in his phone message...

Thought I had posted this before but my message never showed up.

To recap: JimmieMac should have been banned for an additional week for blatantly ripping off Denis Leary on that phone message.

bread's done
Back