CAGcast #206: The Star Wars of Your Generation

Dear Shipwreck,

As a fellow reviewer, but not one who has a ton of time, I'd like to know some of the 1 star and 5 star games that have truly left an impression on you since you've began, the ones you would go back to again or the ones you'd set fire to.

And cheers to Wombat, Cheapy, and you as well for giving a bit of my life happiness every week, you three are true knights in shining armor.

Love, Fairy.

Great show as usual. Bought Singularity at K-Mart on your recommendation and love it. Also was able to get prototype for free. Def a great deal. Two games for 35 bucks. Thanks again!

Wombat's comparison of games you can get for $15 doesn't add up. You should at least compare it to other downloadable games. Still listening to the show.

[quote name='Davestation']Why are people complaining to Shipwreck about the buy price for Limbo. Do they not read the website's address of cheap ass gamer? This is not Pimp Ass Gamer, its cheap ass gamer and shipwreck is appealing to his audience. This website sum's it all up in its name.

One day I was driving around Phoenix looking for something to eat. I saw a sign that said "Long Wong's" and I said to myself "I could go for chinese food". So I pulled my 1991 Ford Tempo into the lot and got out of my car and walked into the restaurant. When I opened the door I was greeted by a nice hispanic gentleman. I looked on the walls witch where decorated with sombrero's and other hispanic cultural decorations. I looked around and I seemed confused until I heard the hispanic greeter ask me if I would like a menu. I told my self that I could go for Mexican food now, so I told the waiter as I made my new decision that I would like a menu. I accepted the menu from the kind sir and opened it up to see there three main specialties: Burgers, Pizza, and Wings. There was no sign of Chinese or Mexican food anywhere on the menu. I than got so confused I vomited all over the counter and they kicked me out.

The moral of the story is that restraunt came across as something else and left the consumer assuming what it was. A place like Long Wong's I and many others would consider a Chinese food place. A website like cheapassgamer says it loud and clear that people are looking for cheap stuff and or get a discount. If Shipwreck ever encounters any of these people that question him at E3 or anywhere else he just needs to vomit on them and yell "Why did you make me do that" as he faints right afterwards. I guarantee you they would not fuck with the Ship again, or they just might beat the shit out of him, but I guarantee that one of those two things will happen. Oh by the way, if you are in the Phoenix area and want to encounter this confusion, Long Wong's is located at 75th Ave and Thomas.[/QUOTE]

So I looked it up....

[FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial]7124 E Thomas
Scottsdale
480-941-9805
[/FONT][/FONT]

Their sign says:
"Famous Wings....
Burgers - Dogs - More"

16061_1.jpg

Maybe they learned their lesson after your visit.:lol:

[quote name='SilverPR']Just to let you know guys, for some reason the RSS feed in the PSP is not updating episode 206. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

I use an RSS podcast downloading client and it isn't updated either.

Good show guys.

Limbo is probably going to become one of those untouchable games (if it isn't already) that hardcore gamers get their panties in a bunch if you don't completely love it, "get" the art side of it, consider it worth full price, or whatever else will irritate them to no end. When it comes to Limbo, Shipwreck's apparently already felt their wrath.

As for the pricing, the blame rests solely in the hands of gamers. The same morons who paid 10 bucks for a Halo map pack are now the same morons paying 15 bucks for the Modern Warfare 2 map packs.They raise the prices on the XBLA games and DLC because they know gamers will still bend over and give away their money without hesitation.

Personally, I can't be blowing money on every new weekly downloadable game that comes out just to experience them at the same time as everyone else or simply to support the "arts", the developer, etc, etc. That's great if you have money to waste, but for me I'm pretty selective when it comes to downloadable games. Especially when we're talking about $15 downloads. At least with retail games I can eventually sell or trade them. I can't do jack squat with XBLA or PSN games.

I wouldn't doubt if $20 soon becomes the standard for downloadable games in the next few years. People will still buy the games though.

Shipwreck, the 2008 Prince of Persia is the one that killed the series. That game sucked some huge sandy balls. It was so boring.

Cheapy, I agree with you on Kinect. There's really nothing to play on it. There's no meat to Kinect, but Microsoft is right. Hardcore gamers will still buy it because it's new, and it gives them something to bitch about on message boards even though they knew before hand there were no games for the thing.

I'm with you on the Mortal Kombat deal too. Although with fatalities, it's not such a big deal because the fight's already over. That's my personal issue with fighting games. I don't really want to learn all the moves and dedicate hundreds of hours on one game just to get really good at it and perfect my craft. There's nothing wrong with that if you do, but personally it's not my sort of thing. I'll play the new MK because I'm a big fan, but I won't be hardcore about it.

Last edited:
[quote name='reddjoey']So I looked it up....

[FONT=verdana,arial][FONT=verdana,arial]7124 E Thomas
Scottsdale
480-941-9805
[/FONT][/FONT]

Their sign says:
"Famous Wings....
Burgers - Dogs - More"

16061_1.jpg

Maybe they learned their lesson after your visit.:lol:[/QUOTE]

No, no, no, thats not it. That is in Scottsdale where rich people like Cheapy D live. If you read my story I said I pulled into the parking lot in my 1991 Ford Tempo. They do not let cars like that in Scottsdale and the East Side. That restraunt is on 73rd Street, on the east side. The one I got confused at was at 75th Avenue. I tried to find a picture but my A.D.D. kicked in and I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective instead, sorry about that gotta get the poison out!!

Great show guys. I won a code for Limbo from IGN, and have really enjoyed the game. I would have bought it for $15 if I didn't get it for free. These types of games should be supported by the Xbox community as they are far and few between.

We get tagged as the shooter community only, and while that is true, good oddball games that push the boundaries of what is typical fair on the XBLA marketplace should be rewarded for a good effort.

[quote name='Davestation']No, no, no, thats not it. That is in Scottsdale where rich people like Cheapy D live. If you read my story I said I pulled into the parking lot in my 1991 Ford Tempo. They do not let cars like that in Scottsdale and the East Side. That restraunt is on 73rd Street, on the east side. The one I got confused at was at 75th Avenue. I tried to find a picture but my A.D.D. kicked in and I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective instead, sorry about that gotta get the poison out!![/QUOTE]

I prefer Long Duck Dong's. Also he has a sexy girlfriend.

[quote name='Davestation']No, no, no, thats not it. That is in Scottsdale where rich people like Cheapy D live. If you read my story I said I pulled into the parking lot in my 1991 Ford Tempo. They do not let cars like that in Scottsdale and the East Side. That restraunt is on 73rd Street, on the east side. The one I got confused at was at 75th Avenue. I tried to find a picture but my A.D.D. kicked in and I watched Ace Ventura Pet Detective instead, sorry about that gotta get the poison out!![/QUOTE]

guessbj.jpg

If this is the right one these guys added a sign too, looks like word got around. :lol:

Good show guys.

I am conflicted about MOH, was looking forward to it. Tried Battlefield and preferred MW2 gameplay. So MOH being made by two different developers makes me wonder if I will only like the single player since the multi player is made by Dice (BF:BC2).

Just a couple comments on Limbo -- I bought it, I enjoyed it, I played through it several times and will again. However, I still think the price of $15 is too high. I'm sorry.

Now first, allow me to defuse the "you pay that much to see a movie in the theater that's only two hours" crowd with NO I DON'T. I do not go the the theater more than once or twice a year BECAUSE of that price that you are arguing people are willing to pay. For most movies, I am not. I will wait for them to come out on Netflix and watch them at home. There are very few movies that are worth that cost to me BECAUSE of the entertainment versus cost ratio.

The thing that Limbo was closest to in my mind was really more like a board game, almost a Chutes and Ladders type thing -- going up, going down, going up, going down. That made me think that a lot of those puzzle units could have been interchangeable or random. I think an interesting add might have been to have a pool of puzzle segments that could be linked together in different orders for later playthroughs. On one occasion you slide down the hill and have to jump over a bear trap and the next you find a button that launches the buzzsaw -- something to keep you on your toes.

As it is, at least half the people who play this game will only play it once, because other than picking up the achievements or stopping to admire the monochrome roses, there is no replay value. In that sense, you are paying $5/hr of fun. That ratio is too high for my cheapassness. Maybe not for some, but it is for me. $10 would have been more in the park and $7.50 would have been probably about right for me. As it is, I actually plan on letting a friend and my brother both play the game over here so that the $15 is more easily spread out across three persons' experience, which makes me wonder how akin that is to them "stealing" or "duping" the game, since a one-time playthrough experience is what most of us bought, and what I would be sharing.

Thanks for developing a mobile version of the website instead of an iphone app. Not everybody owns an iphone, especially people who are on other networks. Apple, Apple, Apple, it all you guys talk about when it comes to computers. I remember working at Software Etc. when we stopping carrying Mac products because nobody was buying them. People who owned a Mac get laughed at. Ahh, the good ol' days. :)

I absolutely agree with you guys that pricing is a "gut" reaction. As you were talking about Limbo I was thinking to myself that it sounded like a $10 game and was blown away when it was revealed that it is $15! If it makes it to a deal of the week then I might get it, but at $15 it's not worth it

Pulling off a fatality *is* a skill in MortalKombat. It would be fine to have one or two quick time fatalities... but there should also be traditional skill based fatalities that are worth more points, are more gruesome, etc., etc.

[quote name='bickle']People have been saying "_____ is the new Star Wars" since 1977. It's nothing to get worked up about. It just means that whatever they are trying to sell cannot stand on it's own.[/QUOTE]

Agree 100%, anyone who compares their IP to star wars is just looking for a headline. Kotick tends to have bigmouth-itis so this is not that surprising coming from him. I'm sure he wishes that COD was the Star Wars of his generation, but there's another little known IP who can challenge him for that title called Halo.

Hello! CAGcast

I got my Spec Ops: The line multiplayer private demo!

Before playing the Spec Ops Demo, I was so excited about the game by watching the E3 trailer and reveal trailer.

Finally, I got my private demo on Friday. I was so disappointed.

The problem is, the control is not sensitive enough. The ugly pop up is everywhere. This demo is like a mess.

I am wondering, did you guys play the demo? How do you feel about this demo? Am I being the single person twho hate this demo?

Keep up the good work, love the CAGCAST

Shipwreck:

Since you (understandably) don't want to sell your advance review copies of games, have you thought about finding other ways of getting rid of them? I don't know what kind of understanding you may have with the publishers regarding what you can and can't do with review copies of their games, so I'm not sure how feasible any of my ideas may be. But I think there are some creative and constructive ways to get rid of them.

Have you thought of perhaps giving them away through the podcast? I think it would only serve as good advertisement for the game, publisher, and even the site/CAGcast, because everyone loves free stuff and giveaways. Maybe you guys could raffle them off, or perhaps even sell copies signed by people related to the project, to help a charity like Child's Play? The possibilities for getting rid of any unwanted games in positive ways seem pretty limitless. I think you guys could come up with some really awesome ideas if you put your heads together.

[quote name='Broken Cage']Not to play Devil's Advocate, but in the Atari/NES/Genesis era, you had to read the manual for the story. I'm pretty sure it counts.[/QUOTE]
Back in the 20s, movies gave very basic story through the use of text-only interludes. Does that mean movies nowadays should still do that? Or have we come to expect spoken dialogue and orchestrated music from our movies? But then again, don't we allow some movies to break conventions for stylistic or entertainment purposes? It's kind of hard to say, I guess.

I'm just thinking aloud here, so feel free to disregard me, but I think games doled out their story through the manual due to primitive design philosophies and technology. Games have evolved quite a bit since then, and expectations have changed. I don't think it's unreasonable to want and expect more from modern games. I'm not expecting Tolstoy or Dostoyevsky, but context for what I'm doing and why does help me enjoy a game more. Think of Portal. It has a simple story that uses plot and monologue sparingly to communicate what and why to the player, and it works very well.

[quote name='JadedJedi']Thanks for developing a mobile version of the website instead of an iphone app. Not everybody owns an iphone, especially people who are on other networks. Apple, Apple, Apple, it all you guys talk about when it comes to computers. [/QUOTE]

Maybe now that Steam is on Apple we can get Steam ID's added to the profiles instead of xfire id's.

[quote name='Issue13']Pulling off a fatality *is* a skill in MortalKombat. It would be fine to have one or two quick time fatalities... but there should also be traditional skill based fatalities that are worth more points, are more gruesome, etc., etc.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lokizz']thats a bullshit excuse im no hardcore mk player but it doesnt take much to find one character you like and learn their moves. if he can pull off a fireball in street fighter or a tiger uppercut why is one mk fatality too much to learn? hes stated time and again that hes a lazy gamer who often plays games on easy just to get through them.[/QUOTE]

Why is there always so much resistance to making these games more accessible? I think the QTE fatality is the one time where a QTE actually makes sense in a game, the fatality is really just an arbitrary set of button combinations anyways, why make players search out a menu, moves list, or youtube video to figure out the game? Don't make getting to the fun such a difficult process for the average gamer.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There are over 40 $15 or $20 games on XBLA, so they are pretty common since most of those came out in the past two years. Microsoft needs to start treating its marketplace like a marketplace and allow price drops so some of the $15 games can get a new life at $10 since only successful games can drop their price right now when they become Arcade Hits, which isn't a solution to that issue. As an example, the two Penny Arcade games are $15 and $20 on XBLA, $5 each on Steam, and you can get a $15 bundle of both episodes on PSN.
[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I have a much bigger issue with the price rigidity of the XBLA marketplace, than I do with any one games initial release price.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']There are over 40 $15 or $20 games on XBLA, so they are pretty common since most of those came out in the past two years. Microsoft needs to start treating its marketplace like a marketplace and allow price drops so some of the $15 games can get a new life at $10 since only successful games can drop their price right now when they become Arcade Hits, which isn't a solution to that issue. As an example, the two Penny Arcade games are $15 and $20 on XBLA, $5 each on Steam, and you can get a $15 bundle of both episodes on PSN.[/QUOTE]
This is too true. One of the reasons Steam's store has enjoyed so much success is their willingness to adjust prices downward over time (and huge sales every so often doesn't hurt either.) The fact that there is a map pack for Perfect Dark Zero that still costs money is just sad. DLC may not need to be discounted for the same reasons that B&M stores use (i.e. space), but the underlying principle should still be the same. What people won't buy at one price, they might at a lower one.

I know that I'd be more than willing to buy DLC for several older games if they were discounted. But charging me the full original price for content in games that are several years old and long past their prime just doesn't make sense. If that DLC isn't selling, and I can't imagine it is, why not lower the price? Some sales are better than none, right? Besides, it could breathe new life into an old game and even act as a marketing push for the newer game. It seems like common sense.

bread's done
Back