CAGcast #214: Street Values

[quote name='banodyne']The guy singing in the Activision Decathalon commercial at the end of the podcast sounded just like Cheapy.[/QUOTE]

At first I thought it was Cheapy's new karaoke song of choice.

[quote name='trip1eX']I'm absolutely certain you're not defining absolutely certain the same way I do.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely = guaranteed = 100%

Cheapy, even if you don't plan on playing the 3DS, just remember this: 3D camera = 3D penis. Killer app.

I agree with Wombat in that I would rather have analog sticks to play games than having a touch screen be my only option. I have too many games on my iPod Touch that were great too start with, only to become frustrated by the touch recognition. However, Cheapy is right when it comes to the cost dynamic. I don't have a lot of time to play handhelds anymore (the kids want them the second I take them out), so the couple bucks I spend on a Touch game is way more worth it than the $30 investment that I might not get to play for months anyway.

Great show as usual.

Glad Ship and Wombat went to bat for the 3DS. Although I see the overall convenience of the iphone and own an ipod touch myself I just can't recommend it as a gaming platform. I noticed a lot of people got excited over the Rage and Unreal demos being shown on the iphone but all I can think is how will they control? There are some good games for the iphone that were built for the platform but I think having an analog stick, a d-pad, and buttons trumps me not wanting to carry another device. $300 is high but like everything else it will drop. I know we expect more from our devices these days camera, video, etc. but it holds little weight from a pure gaming perspective.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thinks that the iPod touch / iPhone should be given more respect as a gaming system. I agree with many of you that sometimes the controls can be awkward, but they can also be innovative and fun; plus nobody can argue with the value for money on some of the games.

I would much rather have a 3DS over an iPod Touch. I'm much more interested in Zelda, Mega Man Legends 3 and Kid Icarus than I am in anything I've ever seen on the iPod Touch. $250 is a bit steep, but that's also what the PSP cost at launch.

I'll probably pick it up whenever Mega Man Legends 3 is released, but right now my PSP is good enough and all of the games are super cheap.

[quote name='PacManster17']Wait,you guys talk about the DS on this episode!? I think the last time you guys seriously talked about playing any DS games was like 10 episodes ago! Can't wait to listen![/QUOTE]

Yeah, they talk about the DS - but I'm not so sure about the 'seriously' part.

I thought it was funny when Wombat joked about what the Kinect can do to itself. I LOL'd. And I know people say that they LOL but I seriously did.

In regards to the GOG.com thing.. I want to point out that while the stunt was pretty poorly thought out, it didn't really highlight everyone's fears about digital content.

One of the main draws of GOG is that the games are DRM free, so even if the site disappeared for real, everyone would still have their games. If anything, the stunt cemented why DRM-free digital content is important.

edit: regarding the ps3/ps2 compatibility, please remember that there is a fairly sizable difference between playing ps2 games on a ps2 vs playing ps2 games upscaled on a ps3, having 1 less system attached to your tv, less wires in your livingroom, etc.

There are definite advantages to BC and not everyone forgets about their games when something newer comes out. If that were the case, why are so many people excited about the upscaled PS2 remakes that seem to be so popular right now? Why is it valid to be excited about buying Ico/SOTC in HD but not valid to just want to play the originals in near HD.. especially if you've already purchased those games once.

If anything, I think Sony should have kept at least 1 BC SKU available.. it would have been a much better way to justify different price points than a slightly different sized hard drive.

[quote name='Wombat']A quick correction on my part, the game I played is Dangerous Hunts 2011, and the light gun is being made Red Octane. Please don't think less of me.[/QUOTE]

Too late. Your Halo stats didn't help.

I think cheapy is missing the draw 3DS. I think most people are more interested in it's power, analog stick, VC, and networking abilities over it's 3D.
Also If I'm going to give an expensive electronic device to a kid I think I'm going to go with the one from the company that is known for their good customer service and the durability have their hardware.

Do you know what the street value of a 3DS when it comes out? I'm guessing you could get 20 omelets for one system! I'm guessing there will be shortages. I mean the US release has already been pushed back to 2011 because of system shortages.

We were all skeptical about the DS with it's two screens (who needs a second screen!?!), but look at how well it sold. The 3DS may just be a minor upgrade, but it will print money.

Another great cagcast.

Regarding the 3DS discussion: I found myself agreeing with Cheapy for most of the argument. Why should I dump 20 bones on a game like Scripps Spelling Bee, when I can just get the awesomeness that is Texting of the Bread for only 2? I guess it isn't fair to judge 3DS games before the device comes out, but it seems like just another DS with 3D functionality. For me, a $300 system, plus $30 a game doesn't compare to all the fun 1 and 2 dollar games that are on the IPhone. At least not yet. Maybe the 3DS will come and change my mind, but for now, I'm skeptical.

I would actually have to agree with Cheapy too. I don't think the appeal of 3D is all that big for gaming yet, not to mention on a portable handheld. Take for example the trend in 3D movies. Before Avatar, the idea of 3D in movies was seen as lame and pointless. For games, there is yet to be an 'Avatar' that will draw people toward the concept of 3D gaming. It's as simple as that.

I'm impressed with the civility of the comments so far about the 3DS discussion. I'm personally excited for it, but will concede it may be very very expensive.

When you look at the games coming out for the DS and PSP so far why should Cheapy even bother turning them on? It's really mostly just JRPGs and licensed games that are coming out for the DS and JRPGs and ports for the PSP. I happen to love these types of games but there's no point in trying to convince someone to get interested in something that's clearly not for them. It's okay. Really.

In reguards o one of the questions about Halo Reach selling poorly. I think Microsoft alienated their casual Halo fan base when they released Halo Wars and Halo ODST. If they released this as Halo 4 it may have sold better?

[quote name='ltrain23']I agree with Wombat in that I would rather have analog sticks to play games than having a touch screen be my only option. I have too many games on my iPod Touch that were great too start with, only to become frustrated by the touch recognition. However, Cheapy is right when it comes to the cost dynamic. I don't have a lot of time to play handhelds anymore (the kids want them the second I take them out), so the couple bucks I spend on a Touch game is way more worth it than the $30 investment that I might not get to play for months anyway.[/QUOTE]

I definitely need two analog sticks for the hardcore gaming experience, portable or not. Thus the PSP was a blunder. If PSP2 doesn't address this issue, then Sony is blind and it will fail.

I think that many of us will buy whatever is put out. But that doesn't make a system successful. In the end, my 9 year old will get a touch. He doesn't need to play games as good as DQ9. The touch is going to be a huge holiday gift for kids, I'm sure of it.

I have all the portables and I still play with my iPhone 50x more than the handhelds. Partly because it's always with me. And my expectations are lower, although I've been just as excited about many of my iPhone gaming experiences.

This was a good show CAGcast crew. I would like to see shipwreck do some youtube videos on the weird things he gets from companies that come with the games he reviews. He can make a good youtube channel and talk bout some of the quirky games he has n such but he probably doesn't have enough time though.

The problem with suggesting the new iPod Touch as a better investment for kids is that it's a short term investment. You'll only be able to play those games for a year or two before developers focus on the 5th/6th generation hardware and the games you've purchased become more prone to crashes because your Touch isn't powerful enough to play them. You'll have to pay $200+ every couple of years to be able to play new games while a $250 investment in the 3DS will probably play every 3DS game that comes out for at least the next five years.

My main issue with the 3DS is the price ($200 is my limit for a handheld system) and the lack of new, original games. Most of the games I see are ports of console games, remakes of console games, and the usual array of Nintendo franchises in 3D. As much as I loved MGS3, I'm not looking to pay $40 to play through it again with one analog stick.

You only needed to turn on your Xbox 360 to get the ID numbers, as they're in the settings.

Good show.

Hi guys, great show. I'm planning to try out the football game quickhits--thanks for the heads up. In light of that, I would like to hear your opinions on Realm of the Mad God. It's a fun, free rpg that I stumbled upon, and highly recommend.

Why is Shipwreck questioning whether the PS2 console was part of the six percent of people buying DLC? The 360 was the first home console to feature any kind of a marketplace for console DLC. If someone does a survey they are not going to inclulde obsolete data, of course assuming the surveyer is not an idiot.....

[quote name='collipop']When a deal is posted it doesn't become property of cheap ass gamer Kotaku can credit whoever they want.

Anyway regarding the 3DS discussion I think cheapy is really overstating the iphone/touch as a gaming platform. Most of the games are of a flash game quality and having no buttons you cant have that much depth. I'm not going to find games like pokemon on my touch.[/QUOTE]

Slickdeals credited CAG as they source. Kotaku credited Slickdeals, it was underhanded. I am just getting real tired of the pretentiousness, the Japanaphelia (right now they are giving props to the sausage feeding anime school girls game with a pic right on the front page-http://kotaku.com/5656314/dream-club-for-xbox-360-destroys-subtlety-with-hostess-sausage-feeding), and the basic blow hardedness of the entire site.

I wouldn't be so frustrated if I didn't actually use to enjoy the site.

I just listened to the end of this one yesterday. Thanks for reading and answering my question on the air guys! However, I think you guys might be underestimating how many people want ps2 bc on the ps3 again. I believe it is still the most request update on the official Playstation forum. Many CAGs have also said they really want it back as well.

[quote name='smoger']

edit: regarding the ps3/ps2 compatibility, please remember that there is a fairly sizable difference between playing ps2 games on a ps2 vs playing ps2 games upscaled on a ps3, having 1 less system attached to your tv, less wires in your livingroom, etc.

There are definite advantages to BC and not everyone forgets about their games when something newer comes out. If that were the case, why are so many people excited about the upscaled PS2 remakes that seem to be so popular right now? Why is it valid to be excited about buying Ico/SOTC in HD but not valid to just want to play the originals in near HD.. especially if you've already purchased those games once.

If anything, I think Sony should have kept at least 1 BC SKU available.. it would have been a much better way to justify different price points than a slightly different sized hard drive.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree with you on all points.

bread's done
Back