CAGcast #215: Opposing Forzzzz

[quote name='MIGGO']Comedy is subjective. Who are you to deem what is or isn't funny? I took the comment as someone busting another friend's balls by bringing up an incident from the past. For what it is worth, I laughed.

It's all a business move when it comes to the name change. It's nothing about making a mother feel better or respecting the troops, it's about keeping retailers happy. Gamestop stores on military bases already claimed that they wouldn't sell the game, all it would take is for ONE major retail store to jump onto that bandwagon before others would most likely follow suit. Controversy creates cash, but only if stores are willing to sell it. Change the name, fight the criticism, and pray that it'll be enough to appease the non-believers.

Another note, I like the idea of EA sitting around and making their every decision based solely on keeping from "looking like pussies" and not "how can I make a shit-ton of cash?".[/QUOTE]

I just don't think it's cool to lead newer listeners to believe that Cheapy's racist. But maybe I'm just reading too far into it. Whatever.

About Medal of Honor. Retailers on military bases still aren't going to sell the game. Retailers not on military bases were going to sell the game anyway. So changing it to Opposing Forces hasn't changed anything in that regard. They haven't made any financial difference in this move. So why do it? All this is going to do is make them look like idiots. Gamers are going to see that, and a few might even write this off as a joke of a game. This game already has an upstream battle against Halo, Black Ops, etc. The last thing they needed was to look even weaker to gamers.

Hey guys,

In response to your comments about renaming the Taliban in Medal of Honor, I have to say I am glad they did it. Giving the Taliban a staring role in a popular game might only empowers them. I'm glad they won't be given the satisfaction of having their name associated with it. I disagree with you guys when you say it doesn't matter what name you call the enemy. It matters a lot because it automatically associates it to real life. If team names aren't important, then I guess Madden doesn't need to worry about renewing its NFL licenses!!!

I am currently deployed. I am big fan of the show and it helps to have something entertaining to look forward to each week. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why stop at just adding Metacritic?

How about adding thumbs up/down?

And whatever else other review sites use.

But I agree it's not enough for CAG to score just once.

Great podcast this week! Coincidentally, I just used Netflix's "Instant Watch" to watch Iron Eagle for the first time last weekend. Man, was that cheesy - exactly like I wanted it to be. :D

Oh, and thanks for the link to that Blood Bros mix of 80s butt rock. Those songs bring back a lot of memories...

[quote name='4nik8tor']I want a game like top gun but I land a jet into a skyscaper. that'd be awesome![/QUOTE]
[quote name='4nik8tor']we need a game about killing jews. I mean really ..fuck these assholes. we're all adults. KILL THEM! its just a video game.[/QUOTE]
You've got a hilarious bit going on, man. Keep it up!

:roll:

Just listened to the show while cooking Turkey. Great show again guys!

2 things,

I don't get why Kotaku gets so much talk on your show. Honestly, until I started listening to CAG I'd never heard of it, and I realized a long time ago that it was a waste of time. They always link to "funny" videos that suck and they just break up news releases into multiple chunks of information so that it seems they constantly update. I don't think it is as popular a site as you think it is.

Lastly, EVERYONE had a wedding this weekend to go to. Everywhere I look there are wedding parties taking pictures, then I read a news article explaining that it's because they want to get married on 10/10/10.

Makes it easy to remember anniversaries anyways... :bouncy:

Good show, attack of the Z's was killing me.

When cheapy started talking about the pure evil in NHL 11 I started to think how much money he must have spent on virtual cards, then it turned out to be 5 bucks! I know it's a lot for packs of virtual cards and it is cheapyD. I was just expecting him to say he spent like 60 bucks or something crazy.

Is there a virtual card cap on what he's willing to spend?

Cheapy, Wombat and Shipwreck

The new review system on CAG needs to have an omelet scale, how many omelets is a game worth screw the point system games are worth anywhere from 1 to 100 omelets.

Also isn't it funny how Enslaved is basically Monkey vs Robot the video game, yet everyone keeps thinking its some ancient chinese tale of legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1Csif5l_6c

I agree with Wobat 100% on the renaming of the Taliban in MOH. It's no big deal. Us army guys have been calling the enemy "Opposing Force" or "Op Fors" for the longest time. Even COD calls the enemy Op Fors, so to quote wombat.."Who cares!?"

Also I think if you want a fair sales numbers comparison, you should give your opinion on which will sell more by the end of the year between NHL 11 or Kinetics/Project Sh*tbox.

If you've used or have a soft spot for the 26th installment in the alphabet series, there's a good chance this CAGcast might interest youzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
9.5. zzzzzZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz

bread's done
Back