CAGcast #233: Earthquaked!

[quote name='banodyne']I can not like this response enough. Prayers and well wishes are for those doing them, not the victims. It used to bug the hell out of me when ornate yellow ribbons were the fad. I would see houses with their whole front yard decked out in that. If people sent that money to the USO or veteran charities it would do so much more.[/QUOTE]

To each his own.

While, I would rather people send care packages or donate to the USO/MWR/Unit's Family Readiness Groups, I knew a good number of vets who found comfort in displays like that.

I guess the solution is to buy that stuff from those organizations so the profits go to whatever cause.

The zero-rated user reviews for Dragon Age 2 were in response to the changes that were made to DA2, not because of the controversial user review. Most of them were made by those that never played the game because they were protesting the game.

Decent show.

Hilarious show as usual guys. It's funnier to see all the PS3 fanboys calmed in the face of a crisis. Now they can argue about if this random girl is racist or not! WAY TO GO CHEAPY! XD

[quote name='reddjoey']To each his own.

While, I would rather people send care packages or donate to the USO/MWR/Unit's Family Readiness Groups, I knew a good number of vets who found comfort in displays like that.

I guess the solution is to buy that stuff from those organizations so the profits go to whatever cause.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, it sounds like letting the people know you care and sending them supplies is the way to go. Only praying and sending no money or supplies does nothing. It might show that a person cares, but doesn't care enough to donate anything.

About the excited e-mailer, that person reminded me of myself when I get excited about something and give out too much information about whatever it is I'm talking about. :)

As an Asian person, I did take some offense to that UCLA student's video. At the same time, the stereotypical Asian speak was a little funny in its absurdity. Sort of like Uncle Ruckus from The Boondocks.

where is this homefront for $42?! amazon? what?
oh i checked the cag price tracker and i guess it was only that cheap for 2 days, doh! ohwellz, hope it gets that cheap again. peace

Last edited by a moderator:
So on the subject of our news here being sensational vs there. I've been seeing this too. Since the Earthquake happened, well actually longer then that, I've getting my news through the BBC World Service. It's real news that isn't American-centric, they still talk about the important stories from America and a lot of times cover world stories that American 24-hour news networks don't cover. And I've been watching the live stream from NHK World that CNN has been putting up.

I flipped on CNN Tuesday morning and I was a little taken aback by how emotionally manipulative the video packages and anchors were. They would take clips of the same video that NHK World or the same audio stories from BBC and add their own translations that would either get the story wrong or just overly broad and dire. It was like they constructed everything to get you to respond in a certain way. I was actually getting angry at what the network was doing instead of the sad response that they were trying to go for.

So my advice to Americans is this. Don't watch CNN or any of the other 24-hour news networks. Watch the NHK World stream, they even have an iPhone app, listen or watch the BBC World Service through one of the many ways to stream the service. Get the real story.

Cheapy, just wanted to say thank you for thinking about the CAGcast listeners despite everything that you and the rest of Japan is having to deal with. It was a really pleasant surprise to see a new episode show up. Glad to hear the family is safe. Stay that way! And keep up the great work with the show.

I forgot about two points that I wanted to make earlier, so I'll mention them now.

The current link dump is far too inadequate for what is actually discussed on the show and does a huge disservice to the people that want to be more informed about those topics. You talk about more news than is listed in the OP and just causes people like the one a few posts up to ask for more details. Then there are the games you talk about in-depth but only mention the name once at the very beginning, so they need to be listed so those of us that miss the name don't need to listen multiple times to figure that out. Finally, there are just the random websites you talk about that also need to be linked because of the large amount of people that can't tell how Raptr is spelled from an audio aspect. As it is, the link dump is a disappointment.

I also wanted to mourn the death of the CAGbag, which has been neglected by Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck for long enough that the thread might as well be locked and the link removed from the OP because you guys never use/support it any more. You only support the people that follow you on Twitter and ignore those that actually use/support the site that gave you guys the opportunity to even do a podcast in the first place. The "CAGbag" that currently is in the show is just Wombat's Twitter segment that's been renamed to hide the death of the real CAGbag.*

*Added dramatic tone for the purpose of getting this concern noticed.

I've actually blocked CNN.com on my computer because I got completely fed up with their irresponsible reporting. (google about modifying your HOSTS file to learn how to block websites, it's now impossible for me to go to CNN.com)

Here's a "Journalist Wall of Shame" wiki that somebody started to keep track of all the fear mongering and shoddy journalism http://jpquake.wikispaces.com/Journalist+Wall+of+Shame

On a more light hearted topic, the Avatar support in Full House Poker is pretty cool, but it was Kinect Sports that really blew me away. I know it's popular to rag on it as a Wii Sports clone, but seriously, Kinect Sports deserves a fair shot. Every movement you make with your body is shown on screen through your Avatar, and the online competition is so fun. You can taunt your opponent by dancing around and making mocking gestures, and your opponent online can see every second of it because they see your Avatar taunting them. So good. I didn't understand the point of Avatars until I played Kinect Sports.

I've put in a good number of hours into DA2.. maybe 12+... and I'm enjoying it for the most part, but things feel more disjointed than DAO. I feel like I'm just doing odd errands for people (vs DAO trying to stop a massive Blight)...

But one thing I've really found lacking is the customization options for your party members in terms of EQ.. as in you can't change their equipment anymore (making most of the stuff you pick up useless).. and it also limits their physical appearances as well. I'm not sure why BIoware took this out.. I like playing dress up in RPGs.. maybe it wasn't that popular?

Interested to hear your thoughts Wombat!

Not trying to make you sound like any less of a dumb-ass or anything, Cheapy, but if you hadn't mentioned your "popular" snafu in the ending interview, I would've simply assumed you were saying that the practice of living is tall building (i.e. apartments) was popular in Japan as opposed to touting the popularity of earthquakes.

Great show this week guys, CheapyD you get the trooper of the week award for making another cast so soon after disaster struck your hometown. Normally Wombat gets the award for doing the show sick and/or under miles of snow :).

Cheapy, in GT5 you can borrow cars your friends have put on their profiles for sharing. If they have a car that can make certain events easier, it'd be wise to borrow them just for a bit. GT5 has also gotten a lot of support since it was released, which is always nice of a developer to do since nowadays it's basically 'pay to continue playing' for the most part.

All the 0 reviews for Dragon Age 2 are ridiculous. Whether in response to the BioWare user-review or because of the changes from Dragon Age: Origins - it's just one big, unwarranted bitch-fest. Everyone is so tough on the internet, bunch of babies.

I'm about 35 hours in and it's no Origins. I'd call it disappointing, not terribly engaging, but still oddly addictive and, as you say, Wombat, it "scratches an itch." I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10 so far. Really wish I hadn't stopped playing the original Dead Space to play DA2, but no going back now.

The voice acting in DA2 is top-notch, which is no surprise it being a BioWare game. Combat is dumbed down too much from DA:O. The quests aren't as fun. And they really screwed up the Sneak ability for Rogues. But I guess it's something until the final Mass Effect 2 DLC lands and Skyrim steals my life away.

Not only does Dr. Pepper unlock digital content, but it unlocks Shipwreck's bowels too.

Great show, guys. Thanks for taking the time for a Japan update at the beginning of the show, Cheapy.

Great show everyone. I do have one comment that I have been hearing in all the recent shows recently. Not sure who the guilty person is, but who ever is clicking there mouse button the whole show (sounds like a trackpad on a Mac) please either move the mic away from the mouse or get a less noisy mouse. It was driving me crazy.

[quote name='DustoMan']So my advice to Americans is this. Don't watch CNN or any of the other 24-hour news networks.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Protocol Snow']Here's a "Journalist Wall of Shame" wiki that somebody started to keep track of all the fear mongering and shoddy journalism http://jpquake.wikispaces.com/Journalist+Wall+of+Shame[/QUOTE]
Thank ye kindly. I'm disappointed to hear that CNN is resorting to distortion, I also knew Fox News was pretty bad, sad to hear other networks are just as bad. I did hear that the BBC tends to be better about reporting the news, so it's nice to hear another account of that.

Thanks for the Journalist Wall of Shame link, I know that most journalists tend to exaggerate and misinterpret scientific findings, and I thought they only had a blind eye to that. I'm quite shocked that they kind of suck in general. I shall spend some time browsing that site when I can.

I really don't mind that this weeks CAGcast is postponed until next week. Mrs. Shipwreck's great Dragon Age review fueled my gaming addiction for the week. I'll be listening next week guys.

This show is a miracle cure!!! I was sick with the flu last weekend and fell asleep while listening to the show. When I woke up, my fever was gone. CAGCast > Tamiflu!!

thank you wombat for your reply. I am sry I missed the last 20 minutes of the thing. I am relistening to the entire thing now. IDC if you insulted me atleast you replied I will see soon what you had to say

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot i had an account on here lol I listen to this podcast everyweek just thought I would try and remember my account and drop you guys a line. The podcast hasn't gotten weak only keeps getting better with the humor of wombat and the amazing addition of shipwreak and his epic ammount of gaming hes able to do per week lol :D and the always loveable cheepyd i really like your new endings to the podcast as well your son is so cute :D good luck and even with the epic forces of nature cheepy is still able to get his game on and mash out a podcast ! i look foward to next weeks and the one after that !!

a lot of game journalists and game companies are auctioning off rare items for Japan relief. their website is playforjapan .org.

Commenting just to let you guys know that I can't wait for your next cagcast. I've become a regular listener, and I'm dying to hear Shipwreck's take on Crysis and Wombat talk about Dragon Age II.

p.s. Please do a spoilercast about the ending of DAII, I want to know if you guys hated it as much as I did.

bread's done
Back