CAGcast #235: Better Than Nothing

Cheapy,

If you're really not going to have another kid, having a vasectomy is definitely the way to go--you'll be surprised how much it improves your sex life. Not to mention it takes like 30 minutes and does not hurt in the least. I was nervous going in, but it was less of a disruption to my day than a teeth cleaning at the dentist... except that I don't have to show the dentist my balls.

I love my dslite. That being said I havn't touched mine in years and just give it to my kids to keep them busy with harvestmoon/animal crossing. TWEWY was awesome tho.

Here's why I personally think the 3DS is a pile of garbage...

-it's region locked
-has no second analog stick
-3-5 Hour battery life
-a 1996 cell phone quality camera
-graphics that are on par with a handheld from 2005*
-small, low-resolution screens
-friend codes
-no voice chat
-no web browser until ???
-no virtual console until ???
-no nes/snes/n64/gb games on the virtual console at all.
-a 3d gimmick that hurts the battery life, performance of games, and let Nintendo jack up the price.
-costs $250 for a portable video game system.

*Honestly, maybe the 3DS is slightly better, but considering just how close these are for a $129 6 year old system and a 1 month old $250 system.... it's kind of sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtwaGGUEGM

Haha, I watched the Chopped Champions too. The Final episode's chopping played out just how I thought it would even before it aired, which is good. My favorite episode was the Chopped Judges one. Finally they got a taste of their own medicine and saw how that clock is rough and 4 wtf ingredients can throw you off when not sitting in the judge seat and making fun of the contestants as they cook. Best quote in that episode was "Two minutes left and I'm running to the Pantry, oh my god I'm one of those people".

I had no intentions of ever getting a 3DS, but a friend had one so I tried it anyway. He had Pilot Wings. The 3D effect is a lie. First I had to find the sweet spot where the 3D actually worked, and it was 3 inches from my face, awkward. It takes my eyes 10 seconds to adjust, but any slight movement of the 3DS system from pressing buttons makes it go out of focus and hurts my eyes. On the plus side the analog was nice, but only one is a tease. The 3DS is just a gimmick to me, I can't justify spending that much when you can get a Wii for cheaper or 360/PS3 for nearly the same price.

Great show, classic CAGcast I love it. This is the show that made me buy a 360 in 2007. I love Ship but somehow he changed the chemistry and vibe of the show. The CAGcast was never about serious gaming discussions, its about funny stories that happened during the week and some gaming discussion tucked in between. The only way for it to be better is if it was longer than a hour. Hey maybe Ship and Wombat can revive CAGforeplay and be better than the CAGcast :) . Love the old school show keep it up.

I'm not sure about the older Zune players but the Zune hd 32 is actually pretty sweet. I own an Ipod, Ipad and a Zune hd 32. I have to say the sound quality on the Zune is way better, and the interface is way cooler for music. I will say that it sucks for apps but I don't care about that. It's also under $200 for the 32 gig version on some sites which makes it a pretty good deal for a serious music fan. Maybe you should have tried out one of the Zune hd's before saying that all Zunes are crap.

Did Wombat really say there aren't many Cleveland Browns fans? The Browns have one of the biggest, most loyal fanbases in all of the NFL. Just look at how well Peyton Hillis is doing in the Madden 12 Cover Vote to see that that they're not as tiny as you think they are.

A number of apps/games on the iPod Touch use tiny buttons that make them harder to use at times and for many games, there's no substitute for buttons or a good stylus for many genres. The DS stylus makes it a lot easier to do what needs to be done for touch-focused games. I'd rather spend $250 for a system whose games I can buy and play for the next five years without problems than one that allows me to play games competently for a year or so at most before requiring another $250. Also, I'm surprised that Cheapy didn't like the 3DS.

Is there going to be a "Cheapy's Racist Moment of the Week" segment every week now?

Better than average show since you guys were better able to keep most topics concise without rambling too much.

It was so quiet without Shipwreck's nonstop talking, no I completely kid. Great show but I hope to hear Shipwreck doing twice the work next week to make it up!

Did we ever get a proper explanation on why CAG Foreplay is defunct? Something about Shipwreck's wife working during the time that Shipwreck has time off and vice versa?

I still really wish that the show went back to just Cheapy and Wombat, it's a lot simpler and theres a lot more talking about what happened during their weeks instead of everyone feeling like they have to rush through stuff. But of course feelings are hurt and yeah...

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Did Wombat really say there aren't many Cleveland Browns fans? The Browns have one of the biggest, most loyal fanbases in all of the NFL. Just look at how well Peyton Hillis is doing in the Madden 12 Cover Vote to see that that they're not as tiny as you think they are.

A number of apps/games on the iPod Touch use tiny buttons that make them harder to use at times and for many games, there's no substitute for buttons or a good stylus for many genres. The DS stylus makes it a lot easier to do what needs to be done for touch-focused games. I'd rather spend $250 for a system whose games I can buy and play for the next five years without problems than one that allows me to play games competently for a year or so at most before requiring another $250. Also, I'm surprised that Cheapy didn't like the 3DS.

Is there going to be a "Cheapy's Racist Moment of the Week" segment every week now?

Better than average show since you guys were better able to keep most topics concise without rambling too much.[/QUOTE]

Even though the iPod touch gets an update every year, the current one is probably just as or even more powerful than the 3DS. It's also much better, probably not for gaming though because of the lack of buttons. It's not like Nintendo won't update this one in a couple of years either

The stylus for the DS is a good thing, because drawing with your finger sucks. You have no pin point accuracy with an index finger.

[quote name='Microshock']Did we ever get a proper explanation on why CAG Foreplay is defunct? Something about Shipwreck's wife working during the time that Shipwreck has time off and vice versa?

I still really wish that the show went back to just Cheapy and Wombat, it's a lot simpler and theres a lot more talking about what happened during their weeks instead of everyone feeling like they have to rush through stuff. But of course feelings are hurt and yeah...[/quote]
They stopped because Mrs. Shipwreck's schedule was too busy to be able to do the show with any regularity.

[quote name='Microshock']Even though the iPod touch gets an update every year, the current one is probably just as or even more powerful than the 3DS. It's also much better, probably not for gaming though because of the lack of buttons. It's not like Nintendo won't update this one in a couple of years either

The stylus for the DS is a good thing, because drawing with your finger sucks. You have no pin point accuracy with an index finger.[/QUOTE]
Power doesn't really matter to me as much as good support, interesting games, and good value. Apple is terrible at supporting their non-phone iOS products because they continually release new models that and discontinue support of the previous models unless you pay another $250 or more. If they actually made a handheld gaming system, they'd get a lot more shit than they do.

edit: more comments as i listen to the show so i'll combine them all instead of posting 1500 times..

on zune:
it always makes me laugh when people who've clearly never used a zune make comments about them.

it's a device that mirrors the functionality of the ipod, and adds a few hit-or-miss-depending-on-the-person features(wireless sync, unlimited music subscription option, fm radio, better software)

..but in the minds of people who've never used it, it's just somehow worse than an ipod and always will be.

why? because you could get it in brown at one point? or the distinct lack of a monotone piece of fruit stamped on it?

on the 3ds touch screen:
the 3ds has a stylus because it's a resistive screen, it reacts to pressure. most smartphones use capacitive screens, which react to electrical current(which is why a gloved finger won't work).

the resistive screen is MUCH better for the way the 3ds uses it.. mostly taps and occasionally writing/drawing.
on a cell phone you are swiping a lot and not writing with much accuracy.

cliff notes: a game like brain age which is based on handwriting recognition would be nearly impossible on a capacitive screen(go buy a capacitive stylus and try to do some handwriting on it..). and forget about drawing anything.

and really.. the only thing i've bothered to pull the stylus out for so far was the keyboard.. which was like.. 3 times? everything else seems to give you nice meaty buttons to mash with your fingertips.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chris in Cali']Here's why I personally think the 3DS is a pile of garbage...

-it's region locked
-has no second analog stick
-3-5 Hour battery life
-a 1996 cell phone quality camera
-graphics that are on par with a handheld from 2005*
-small, low-resolution screens
-friend codes
-no voice chat
-no web browser until ???
-no virtual console until ???
-no nes/snes/n64/gb games on the virtual console at all.
-a 3d gimmick that hurts the battery life, performance of games, and let Nintendo jack up the price.
-costs $250 for a portable video game system.

*Honestly, maybe the 3DS is slightly better, but considering just how close these are for a $129 6 year old system and a 1 month old $250 system.... it's kind of sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vtwaGGUEGM[/QUOTE]

these complaints sound like someone who wants a 3ds but for whatever reason can't get access and is trying to convince himself that he doesn't.

1996 cell phone camera? cell phones in 1996 didn't have color screens, external memory, OR cameras.. let alone 3d ones.
(not that anyone could - or is expecting to- buy the 3ds and use it as a primary camera)

the graphics that i've seen(and i actually OWN both, so im not just saying things based on youtube videos) are far superior to the psp.

and anyway, why not consider game quality? i've owned the 3ds for 2 weeks and i probably already played it more than the psp i've owned for a year that's currently collecting dust in a corner of my house somewhere

it doesn't have friend codes, it has A friend code. One. Just like you have A username for PSN/XBL. If they are losing points for having 1 friend code, then how do you suggest they have people make connections?

the psp was $250 when it was cutting edge also. (right?)

look,.. im not here to shoot down anyone's opinions.. but clearly much of your post wasn't based on opinions at all.. they were presented as facts, and twisted facts at that.

to each his own

Come on down to Florida cheepy! All we got here are HURRicanes but you get PLENTY of warning! :bouncy:

Come to Venice so I can pal around with you! ;_;

I concur with one of the earlier post Cheapy, if you are not having another get, get the procedure done. There is a little discomfort afterwards, but it is mild and the fact that you are ready to go anywhere and anytime is a bonus.

[quote name='NDarkness']I am going to predict CheapyD's thoughts on the 3DS:

1. "I don't really play handhelds."
2. "If I were to then it'd be on the iPhone/iPad"
3. "Why pay for $40 when you can pay $1?"
4. "3D sucks."[/QUOTE]

hahaha. was going to do the same thing.

I also say he complains about the $250 price and launch lineup. And he will mention his 3dtv and how much better it is.

YOu know in advance its just a question of how much he hates it. :)

Listening to the podcast now.

For extra laughs, try listening to the CAGCast at 2X speed on an ipod. Cheapy's laughter sounds like a baritone chipmunk. And, when he goes "mmmmmm" it sounds like a wookie.

All in all, another good podcast, even without Shipwreck.

Ok so Cheapier hates the 3ds. Wow that was a surprise.

Just let us know when you like something from Nintendo. Just so I can experience an earthquake too. :)

I will agree the 3d is part miss but there's also some hit there. It adds something at times. In Pilotwings when you swoop down between some trees and 3d is on you feel like you're there man. It's a bit more of a rush.

But yeah the viewing angle can be lost if you don't hold still (I think this is something you get used to) and in general it is just harder on the eyes. Makes 'em work harder. The way you know that is that you feel a bit of relief when going back to 2d like you're taking a break after doing 150 jumping jacks.

Gotta say though that where's the FAce RAiders comments? That thing was hilarious laugh-out-loud evening's entertainment for my kids and wife and myself. Great use of the camera for the background and for faces and great use of the gyroscope.

The AR stuff was also interesting hadn't seen that before stuff.

Anyway remains to be seen how much Nintendo exploits the 3d.

For now though it's the visual equivalent of Rumble.

The sillier stuff is that the 3ds should cost much less because some parts were priced closer to $100 on the internets, or because a newer model will come out and or because the battery life isn't as good as before. The Touch doesn't suffer from this stuff? Apple makes the biggest margins around. Apple releases a new Touch model every year. And ever play a real game on the Touch? Battery life goes quick.

Anyway I own a Wii, DS, 3ds, 360, Windows 7 pc, Imac, iPod, ATV and no Sony products. So I go both ways and then some. Sorry Sony.

[quote name='kaw']The show flows so much better with just CheapyD and Wombat. Just like back in the "good 'ol days".[/QUOTE]

Yea I didn't miss whining Boat Crash one bit. LOL

[quote name='smoger']these complaints sound like someone who wants a 3ds but for whatever reason can't get access and is trying to convince himself that he doesn't.

1996 cell phone camera? cell phones in 1996 didn't have color screens, external memory, OR cameras.. let alone 3d ones.
(not that anyone could - or is expecting to- buy the 3ds and use it as a primary camera)

the graphics that i've seen(and i actually OWN both, so im not just saying things based on youtube videos) are far superior to the psp.

and anyway, why not consider game quality? i've owned the 3ds for 2 weeks and i probably already played it more than the psp i've owned for a year that's currently collecting dust in a corner of my house somewhere

it doesn't have friend codes, it has A friend code. One. Just like you have A username for PSN/XBL. If they are losing points for having 1 friend code, then how do you suggest they have people make connections?

the psp was $250 when it was cutting edge also. (right?)

look,.. im not here to shoot down anyone's opinions.. but clearly much of your post wasn't based on opinions at all.. they were presented as facts, and twisted facts at that.

to each his own[/QUOTE]

I don't know, maybe Nintendo SHOULDNT have friend codes? Because they're stupid and a waste of time and I don't want to copy and paste or write down these 16 digit codes.

Seriously, Nintendo has been fucking up their online system .....since they've begun trying to do anything with online. They could've put some really nice standards into the 3DS but they screwed that up too. Universal username, achievements, voice chat, who knows? Nothing.

Also, I've played two games on the 3DS and nothing about the graphics make it better than whats on a PSP or current gen iPod touch.

People tend to play the things they get less than two weeks ago more frequently than a 6 year old handheld.

Having gimmicks does not make the 3DS "cutting edge" and when your primary gimmick is nothing more than one of those images that you tilt back and forth, it sucks.

Thanks for doing the show, guys. I know it must sound odd, but I look forward to it each week (and I don't even have an empty life!)

Since hopping onboard the CAGcast about ep. 180 or so, I've gone back and listened to MANY of the older episodes. There's something to be said for the Cheapy/Wombat dynamic, but Shipwreck contributes specialized video game lore the others don't have.

Only problem with this is that Ship will frequently try to engage them on one of these types of topics (DS games, RPGs, etc.) and they're like, "Nope." So where Wombat and Cheapy banter well with one another, Ship frequently feels like he's just talking to us. He's best when he's cleverly getting the jokes in at Wombat's and Cheapy's expense, though.

[quote name='Archaic']Thanks for doing the show, guys. I know it must sound odd, but I look forward to it each week (and I don't even have an empty life!)

Since hopping onboard the CAGcast about ep. 180 or so, I've gone back and listened to MANY of the older episodes. There's something to be said for the Cheapy/Wombat dynamic, but Shipwreck contributes specialized video game lore the others don't have.

Only problem with this is that Ship will frequently try to engage them on one of these types of topics (DS games, RPGs, etc.) and they're like, "Nope." So where Wombat and Cheapy banter well with one another, Ship frequently feels like he's just talking to us. He's best when he's cleverly getting the jokes in at Wombat's and Cheapy's expense, though.[/QUOTE]

CheapyD and Wombat have more in common than what they have in common in Shipwreck. They're both jews, both lived in New York, both like the same types of games...

Sorry CheapyD, but you can't say Lee is just a Korean name. Just to name two famous Chinese Lee's:
Bruce Lee, Jet Li.

I can't believe the "rubbers" ordeal was finally talked about! LOL. All along I thought, why is this married man still using rubbers? He must have been a wild man in college and caught something. And it turns out he doesn't want anymore kids. Dude, there are plenty of parent planning solutions available, including a vasectomy as mentioned. Dump the rubbers already! Great show as always guys!

If Cheapy is going to relocate to anywhere cheap in the U.S. he should go to Kansas City. Why? Google announced they're going wire that city so everyone gets 1GB/sec internet speeds.

Ok, just so I have this correct CheapyD,

Don't post a video on the internet of you shooting an elephant if you are the CEO of a company.

But if you own a company, say a video game shopping community, its a good idea to say I'm going to a specific event at a specific time and staying at a specific hotel in California, in which I will smoke a big bag of weed I purchased, and announce your intention on a fake radio show on the internet?

Just checking ;)

Wow, cheapy was awful eager to predict the death of the 3DS. It should probably noted that the PSP out selling the 3DS in Japan had less to do with a decline in 3DS sales and much more to due to the fact that since the release of the FF collection on the PSP its weekly sales are 2.5 times what they where before.
Either way it's two early to draw conclusion on the 3DS when it doesn't really have any system sellers out for it yet.

Dear Cheapy, getting a vasectomy doesn't ensure that you will no longer have to wear rubbers. My wife made me get one 6 months before she left me and my new girlfriend still makes me wear them. She says one form of birth control isn't enough, and since I like having sex, I wear them.

On the subject of a vasectomy, it only hurts when they inject you with the anesthetic, and that part really hurts, so if you can make it through that, you'll be fine. I'm pretty wussy and I survived, I doubt you'll have any trouble.

[quote name='diablo343']Dear Cheapy, getting a vasectomy doesn't ensure that you will no longer have to wear rubbers. My wife made me get one 6 months before she left me and my new girlfriend still makes me wear them. She says one form of birth control isn't enough, and since I like having sex, I wear them.

On the subject of a vasectomy, it only hurts when they inject you with the anesthetic, and that part really hurts, so if you can make it through that, you'll be fine. I'm pretty wussy and I survived, I doubt you'll have any trouble.[/QUOTE]

What about the smoke and the smell of burning flesh? That's much worse than the pain of a little needle. But, then you get the added benefit of sitting on the couch playing video games for hours with a pack of frozen peas on your crotch. I started and finished Mass Effect 1 over the two days of rest.

I had a vacetomy a month before my third kid was born and my kid is 5 now with no more new kids. their is not smell of burning flesh, and it was not a big deal and I do not have to worry about putting on a condom in the middle of sex with my wife, it is a life changer and amazing, but I already have three kids so make sure your wife does not want more kids because a reversal is a whole different story

I enjoyed the sans Shipwreck show actually.

and remember kids....

Wang or Chong = Chinese
Lee or Park = Korean

It's a simple rule !!

I have to add a +1 to the sentiments that the show is so much better without Shipwreck. First CAGCast that I enjoyed in a long time.

Please lose Shipwreck, or at the very least only have him on once every two months to whine about the PS3 and do a game review or something.

Also, thanks Cheapy for validating why I will be skipping the 3DS.

[quote name='oscargrouch']Ok, just so I have this correct CheapyD,

Don't post a video on the internet of you shooting an elephant if you are the CEO of a company.

But if you own a company, say a video game shopping community, its a good idea to say I'm going to a specific event at a specific time and staying at a specific hotel in California, in which I will smoke a big bag of weed I purchased, and announce your intention on a fake radio show on the internet?

Just checking ;)[/QUOTE]

Smoking weed is cool though. Shooting elephants is cool too, but just not as cool since elephants have a known weakness to bullets.

[quote name='Pojomofo']I wonder if the GoDaddy CEO has ever heard of a fence...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure those haven't been invented in Africa yet. Plus I'm pretty sure an elephant is stronger than a fence.

When people pan The Arrival, what they say is, "this is not what Mass Effect is," and "this is BS, I didn't get to choose."

What they really mean is, "my Shepard had to do something bad and I was going for a perfect, flawless playthrough where nobody died ever."

I think The Arrival is great because it shows just how dire the situation actually is. It shows the player that there are going to be losses and even if the Council wins, it's still going to be the most catastrophic thing to happen for the last 50,000 years.

I think it's OK when things have a cost. Clearly most people disagree.

As for Shipwreck, he's probably my favorite person on the show. He's clearly very intelligent and routinely provides good information. Somehow he does this without laughing about how funny dicks and gay people are. It's truly a mystery.

bread's done
Back