CAGcast #241: Better with Kinect

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Sure, there are decent prices, but they are kind of outweighed by a lot of questionable stuff. I'd be willing to bend a bit for a game I'd really want to play, like Just Cause 2 if I didn't already have it on the PS3.[/QUOTE]

I spent literally hours going thru the games available on GoD before I found one that was reasonably priced and that I really wanted to play. I was looking for something kind of mindless that I could dip into (without having to change discs) when I had an hour to kill. I almost grabbed Midnight Club: LA for $19.99 till I realized I could get the Complete Edition for the same price from Amazon.

Games on Demand service is pretty broken, though they usually fix the prices after a few weeks.
I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support.

I want to get Deathsmiles 2 since It's digital only. Maybe since It's not in the top 50 for sellers it will drop $19.99.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']
I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support..[/QUOTE]

I doubt that Games on Demand give the devs anymore than retail

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Games on Demand service is pretty broken, though they usually fix the prices after a few weeks.
I bought Dead Space for $19.99 cause it was about that price every where at the time and wanted to show developer support.

I want to get Deathsmiles 2 since It's digital only. Maybe since It's not in the top 50 for sellers it will drop $19.99.[/QUOTE]

Only reason I bought it now was for CAVE support, in hopes they release other shmups over here in some form.

Good show this week, looking forward to more stories about E3 such as the yearly Cheapy weed adventures!

[quote name='usickenme']I doubt that Games on Demand give the devs anymore than retail[/QUOTE]

I bet it does, just like Steam does. Cutting out Amazon, Gamestop and Best Buy means more money for the devs.

Wombat, since you brought up playing Kinect with Sabrina again, if you want to see her squeel with joy download the Fantastic Pets demo. My niece loves it. We're on the fence deciding whether or not to buy it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the CAGCast.

You get the opinions of CheapyD, a millionaire mogul of the games industry, with stories of poop and Japan to boot.

Then you have Wombat, all-round nice-likeable good guy who tells interesting stories, is always making you laugh out loud, as well as serving as a perfect foil to Cheapy to make sure he never gets too big headed.

Ship's a nice guy, but Cheapy and Wombat are just on another level, out of this world.

So Wombat, was Kinect River Rafting actually fun, or were you just having fun playing with your daughter and you just happened to be using Kinect at the time?

Haven't listened yet, but I assume it's Shipwreck (as far as not liking L.A. Noire). Has he ever enjoyed a game at all associated with Rockstar?

[quote name='Fjordson']Haven't listened yet, but I assume it's Shipwreck (as far as not liking L.A. Noire). Has he ever enjoyed a game at all associated with Rockstar?[/QUOTE]

I was a big fan of Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis, Max Payne 1 & 2, and Red Dead Revolver and I like GTA IV and GTA: Chinatown Wars.

[quote name='shipwreck']I was a big fan of Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis, Max Payne 1 & 2, and Red Dead Revolver and I like GTA IV and GTA: Chinatown Wars.[/QUOTE]

What a jerk.

Guys, great show as always. Loved Wombats Macho Man impression.

Talking about New York tourist scams, the glasses guy Womabt ran into, has been running for years from what I have heard. Another scam that happens is the cd scammers. They work in groups and after quick talking, you get scammed out of some money. I know this to be true as it happened to a friend of mine about a year and a half ago.

[quote name='shipwreck']I was a big fan of Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis, Max Payne 1 & 2, and Red Dead Revolver and I like GTA IV and GTA: Chinatown Wars.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected. I just remember you not liking Red Dead Redemption, so I guess that clouded my memory. Maybe it was Cheapy who it didn't like GTA IV.

Anyways, glad you're enjoying the game Cheapy, though I disagree about the driving. I'm finding the chases to be a total blast.

I'm just happy for Team Bondi that it sold so well. Can't wait to see what they do next, especially if they stick with Rockstar.

[quote name='shipwreck']You give me too much credit, I'm not that nice.[/QUOTE]

I normally just lurk, but I registered to post this. Screw that guy Ship, don't listen to him. Honestly, before you became a permanent fixture on the show I was on the brink of unsubscribing as I felt the show had become a bit tired and aimless . You're usually the only one bringing the proper game talk. Keep it up!:)

Does Cheapy Play Soccer?

tanquesilvaloco.gif

I don't like getting nickeled and dimed, having my MP held hostage, less features hardware wise, unreliable hardware, or paying for something that is free everywhere else. No, Xbox is not better than PS, but the implementation of Live is better than PSN.

Sad things is that people complain about online passes yet have no problem on MS holding the MP portion of EVERY game they buy hostage unless they pay for Live. I would much rather game on a system such as Live, but I rather reward the company that gives me more bang for my buck. Sure PSN is not as nice, but telling a company that they can crap in a box and you'll still buy it is much worse for the consumer in the long run.

Many complain about Activision, yet fail to see that Activision and others finally noticed that consumers are buying faulty hardware and paying for the privilege to play the MP parts of games they own. If people would have acted logically and not reward this behavior, chances are Live would have been made free or actually give you something for your money, and those $15 map packs would have been few an far between.

Wombat:

On the one hand, I want to credit you for being able to reevaluate your opinion of a product.

On the other hand, I want to completely ridicule you for having previously sworn that you would never even speak of Microsoft's then-named "project natal" and/or Sony's motion control peripheral again on the show. I fondly remember you ranting about how stupid the "shitbox" was yet here you are taking every opportunity to play it with your daughter.

You managed to be both bull-headed and open minded about Kinect. So the listeners have gone from being told they would never hear Kinect referred to again to listening to episodes entitled "Better with Kinect."

[quote name='Kezmer']Does Cheapy Play Soccer?

tanquesilvaloco.gif
[/QUOTE]

That's actually footage of Cheapy recovering from the soup can sized poop.

[quote name='bgame2']That's actually footage of Cheapy recovering from the soup can sized poop.[/QUOTE]

Or while he's squeezing it out.

[quote name='bgame2']wombat:

On the one hand, i want to credit you for being able to reevaluate your opinion of a product.

On the other hand, i want to completely ridicule you for having previously sworn that you would never even speak of microsoft's then-named "project natal" and/or sony's motion control peripheral again on the show. I fondly remember you ranting about how stupid the "shitbox" was yet here you are taking every opportunity to play it with your daughter.

You managed to be both bull-headed and open minded about kinect. So the listeners have gone from being told they would never hear kinect referred to again to listening to episodes entitled "better with kinect."[/quote]

yeah!

CheapyD mentioned a gaming website in this episode, the one that had a section devoted to new releases. Can someone tell me what the name of it was? I can't seem to find the exact place in the podcast where it was mentioned.

Great show, entertaining as always. After listening to your discussion of LA Noire I have a theory about Shipwrecks taste in games. Cheapy and Wombat are constantly using movies as reference points to their game experiences, not to mention just random movie quotes throughout the podcast. Comparisons have been made of LA Noire to LA Confidential or Chinatown and other classic film noire.. Shipwreck admitted he wasn't a real fan of the "Settings" of LA Noire or Red Dead Redemption and preferred fantasy or sci fi environments. Clearly both Cheapy and Wombat are huge movie fans, while Shipwreck seems to be less so, preferring to spend his free time playing games. My theory is Shipwreck is comfortable playing games that remind him of other games while Cheapy and Wombat tend to favor games that offer experiences that are more cinematic. Not to mention when you guys were doing the Trading Places riff Shipwreck was dead silent. It was obvious he had no idea what you were talking about.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']CheapyD mentioned a gaming website in this episode, the one that had a section devoted to new releases. Can someone tell me what the name of it was? I can't seem to find the exact place in the podcast where it was mentioned.[/QUOTE]

http://www.tech-gaming.com/

[quote name='bgame2']Wombat:

On the one hand, I want to credit you for being able to reevaluate your opinion of a product.

On the other hand, I want to completely ridicule you for having previously sworn that you would never even speak of Microsoft's then-named "project natal" and/or Sony's motion control peripheral again on the show. I fondly remember you ranting about how stupid the "shitbox" was yet here you are taking every opportunity to play it with your daughter.

You managed to be both bull-headed and open minded about Kinect. So the listeners have gone from being told they would never hear Kinect referred to again to listening to episodes entitled "Better with Kinect."[/QUOTE]

That's really only the tip of the iceberg of his inconsistencies. Albeit this is particularly glaring but its certainly not the only instance.

[quote name='andyfilm']Great show, entertaining as always. After listening to your discussion of LA Noire I have a theory about Shipwrecks taste in games. Cheapy and Wombat are constantly using movies as reference points to their game experiences, not to mention just random movie quotes throughout the podcast. Comparisons have been made of LA Noire to LA Confidential or Chinatown and other classic film noire.. Shipwreck admitted he wasn't a real fan of the "Settings" of LA Noire or Red Dead Redemption and preferred fantasy or sci fi environments. Clearly both Cheapy and Wombat are huge movie fans, while Shipwreck seems to be less so, preferring to spend his free time playing games. My theory is Shipwreck is comfortable playing games that remind him of other games while Cheapy and Wombat tend to favor games that offer experiences that are more cinematic. Not to mention when you guys were doing the Trading Places riff Shipwreck was dead silent. It was obvious he had no idea what you were talking about.[/QUOTE]

I think you may have some validity to your theory, but I have seen L.A. Confidential, Chinatown, and Trading Places. I liked all three, I just didn't commit them to memory. I like cinematic games that do it well like Uncharted and Alan Wake, but have trouble getting into cinematic games where the game mechanics are uninteresting. Your theory is pretty sound though.

bread's done
Back