CAGcast #244: DisKinected

[quote name='smoger']99% sure they already announced compatibility with Wii titles but not Gamecube.

And why should we assume that there won't be a transfer utility? In their most recent console release, there WAS one. We just won't know for sure either way until they say, so it's pointless to take guesses about it.[/QUOTE]

Yup, you're right about the backwards compatibility. That's what I get for getting my news from twitter. I had infered that no DVD playback meant it wouldnt play the Wii discs. My bad.
As far as the transfer though, I really would hope so, but I've lost faith in Nintendo the past few years and think they won't give anything for free that they believe they can get people to pay for once again.

I'm terrified about the fact that The Gunstringer is going to be on a retail disc instead of XBLA. Twisted Pixel's other XBLA games are just about perfect length. They feel right for the (low) price, and you're not sick of them by the time you beat them. The Gunstringer seems neat, but already somewhat light on gameplay variation (from what little I've seen). If they're going to artificially inflate this game to fit perceived standards of a "full retail game" it could be bad.
What they should do is make an Orange Box type of release... Package Gunstringer and Ms Splosion Man (as exclusives to this package) along with special editions of their older games (new levels, playable characters) and then they can price it at $50. That would at least seem like consumers are getting full value for their money.

Apple has the right distribution model to take over the next console generation. The app store distribution model is to the optical disc as the cd was to the cartridge.

But everything else? I don't see it.

I can't see them making a traditional game controller.

Can't see them making cheap hardware. And like Wombat said where's the 1st party development and who cares if you can play Cut the Rope on your 50" hdtv?

PLus Apple never has really liked gaming. Jobs has come around some since it has blossomed on the iPOd touch and iPHONe etc, but....

Don't get the ipad vs the Wii comparison from Cheapie. Seems mostly Apples vs ambulances. The tablet controller might have some crossover, but it isn't a stand alone device. GAmes will be streamed to it from the console. And should be capable of better graphics, more involved games and better battery life as well.

Touchscreen on the controller exists because Nintendo is still trying to pull of its goal it started on the Wii of getting people to check in on the system every day. And what they found is it is too much a pain the arse to turn on the tv, switch inputs, turnon the Wii, wait for it boot, navigate to correct channel and check out what you want to check out.

Now all is supposed to be easier. So the idea is more folks will read messages, check out the weather & news channel, surf maybe, etc if all you have to do is glance at the screen on the controller and touch it.

IT also makes for new gameplay experiences ala the DS.

Last many families share a tv screen. Kicking junior's game off the tv and onto his controller when DAd wants to watch the football game is going to be a big sellling point.

Oh and maybe Wii U can get around its 3rd party death sentence scheduled 2-3 years after it launches or when the next xbox and ps3 come out by making itself powerful enough to do 720p ports of presumably 1080p games on the next xbox and PS3.

Starting to sip some Wii U kool aid.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='atreyue']Both Transformers movies suck. I grew up with the original cartoon and it sucked too. The movies suck because they're all about explosions and effects. They do focus primarily on the humans while the original focused mainly on the robots. The 2nd one is also a piece of racist garbage. I don't know why they think minorities exist purely for comic relief and mockery. Michael Bay is a piece of shit director and I don't care what Hot Fuzz has to say about it.[/QUOTE]

No, they suck to YOU because they're all about explosions and effects. It's a freaking Michael Bay movie, don't even whine because you had no idea what you were getting into.

The second one was racist? Because of two robots that were more of a joke on white people trying to act black? You sound like one of those idiotic critics who have nothing better to do but nitpick stupid shit like that to make you sound smarter.

Don't watch the third one. You won't enjoy it. Meanwhile, me and the millions of others who will watch it will have fun.

LOL I can't wait to be labeled the Transformers fanboy on the show.

Have you guys seen the preview for the new Transformers movie? My situation with the 2nd movie is exactly like Cheapy's; tried to watch it but just didn't give a shit. It was total garbage it seemed to just be capitalizing on the Transformers name and blockbuster presence.

The next one looks pretty awesome though. That big ass snake thing tearing through that building made my asshole pucker when I saw it. And if it means anything I heard Michael Bay say this was by far is favorite of the 3 movies on paper and even made reference to the 2nd movie being shit.

[quote name='DragoonKnight']I'm so glad Wombat said something about Cheapy's Apple slurping. How many iPhone games do you think Cheapy even owns? [/QUOTE]
I looked it up: 98.

[quote name='Microshock']No, they suck to YOU because they're all about explosions and effects. It's a freaking Michael Bay movie, don't even whine because you had no idea what you were getting into.

The second one was racist? Because of two robots that were more of a joke on white people trying to act black? You sound like one of those idiotic critics who have nothing better to do but nitpick stupid shit like that to make you sound smarter.

Don't watch the third one. You won't enjoy it. Meanwhile, me and the millions of others who will watch it will have fun.

LOL I can't wait to be labeled the Transformers fanboy on the show.[/QUOTE]

I knew exactly what I was getting into and still watched both in the theater. I watch tons of popcorn movies and have seen almost all of Bay's films IN THE THEATER. Doesn't mean I think he's a good director, or that he's made much of an effort to put decent stories into any of the Transformers movies so far. As for the 2nd one being racist, I'm black and can recognize when someone's trying to make fun of white people trying to act black. I was offended by the twins because they weren't trying to act black. They were the director and writers' vision of black autobots and they thought their blackness was comedy relief. But maybe you can find another racial stereotype transformer in either of the 2 movies. While you're at it, you can also list the characters in both of the movies that are there solely to be laughed at that weren't minorities. Outside of Sam's parents, you won't be able to come up with any. In fact, the only minority I can think of that wasn't there to be laughed at in the movies was Tyrese's character. If recognizing that they thought it would be funny to say that the black autobots can't read is nitpicking, then wow. You won't have to wait for the show for someone to call you a fanboy. Although I think it may be more accurate to call you a poser.

[quote name='atreyue']I knew exactly what I was getting into and still watched both in the theater. I watch tons of popcorn movies and have seen almost all of Bay's films IN THE THEATER. Doesn't mean I think he's a good director, or that he's made much of an effort to put decent stories into any of the Transformers movies so far. As for the 2nd one being racist, I'm black and can recognize when someone's trying to make fun of white people trying to act black. I was offended by the twins because they weren't trying to act black. They were the director and writers' vision of black autobots and they thought their blackness was comedy relief. But maybe you can find another racial stereotype transformer in either of the 2 movies. While you're at it, you can also list the characters in both of the movies that are there solely to be laughed at that weren't minorities. Outside of Sam's parents, you won't be able to come up with any. In fact, the only minority I can think of that wasn't there to be laughed at in the movies was Tyrese's character. If recognizing that they thought it would be funny to say that the black autobots can't read is nitpicking, then wow. You won't have to wait for the show for someone to call you a fanboy. Although I think it may be more accurate to call you a poser.[/QUOTE]

Funny, because the MAIN HUMAN CHARACTER is a clumsy, bumbling white guy! But no, pretend like these movies are racist. Sure.

[quote name='Microshock']Funny, because the MAIN HUMAN CHARACTER is a clumsy, bumbling white guy! But no, pretend like these movies are racist. Sure.[/QUOTE]

I'll say it again. Almost all of the minorities exist solely to be laughed at. The clumsy bumbling white guy is the hero with plenty of serious moments. The 1st black autobot rapped & danced the entire time until he was torn to pieces, which I think was the only autobot casualty in the 1st film (not that I think him dying is racist). The 2nd & 3rd black characters had gold teeth, spoke terrible english, were illiterate and were womanizers. The middle eastern guy and the latino guy are also only the butt of jokes throughout both movies. But this is all only a coincidence. It doesn't say anything at all that the people who made the movie thought that audiences would enjoy laughing at the stereotype of black people that the twins were supposed to represent. Definitely not. I'm just reaching so I can try to feel smart because I want to be a critic. Yet you're the one who has to throw out lame excuses to try to explain away the twins. It doesn't make you a racist if you enjoyed the movie. Nor does the racism inherent in the depiction of the twins make the movie suck. You don't have to defend these things because you want to justify how much you like the movie. I love Cop Out and Live Free or Die Hard, and I'm not ashamed of it. Transformers 2 sucks because the story is terrible. I'll give a pass on the acting, because I don't expect Shakespeare from summer blockbusters. But the plot was terrible. The end.

[quote name='atreyue']I'll say it again. Almost all of the minorities exist solely to be laughed at. The clumsy bumbling white guy is the hero with plenty of serious moments. The 1st black autobot rapped & danced the entire time until he was torn to pieces, which I think was the only autobot casualty in the 1st film (not that I think him dying is racist). The 2nd & 3rd black characters had gold teeth, spoke terrible english, were illiterate and were womanizers. The middle eastern guy and the latino guy are also only the butt of jokes throughout both movies. But this is all only a coincidence. It doesn't say anything at all that the people who made the movie thought that audiences would enjoy laughing at the stereotype of black people that the twins were supposed to represent. Definitely not. I'm just reaching so I can try to feel smart because I want to be a critic. Yet you're the one who has to throw out lame excuses to try to explain away the twins. It doesn't make you a racist if you enjoyed the movie. Nor does the racism inherent in the depiction of the twins make the movie suck. You don't have to defend these things because you want to justify how much you like the movie. I love Cop Out and Live Free or Die Hard, and I'm not ashamed of it. Transformers 2 sucks because the story is terrible. I'll give a pass on the acting, because I don't expect Shakespeare from summer blockbusters. But the plot was terrible. The end.[/QUOTE]

Ha ha look at you trying to be all hurt by a movies supposed stereotypes. Seriously, cry some more. You didn't know what you were getting into, your fault, the end.

[quote name='Microshock']Ha ha look at you trying to be all hurt by a movies supposed stereotypes. Seriously, cry some more. You didn't know what you were getting into, your fault, the end.[/QUOTE]

So the twins weren't stereotypes? I thought you said they were intended to make fun of stereotypes. Hmmmm... nah, you're right. I was just way in over my head. I hoped they ould make at least decent mov ies and they didn't. I don't lower my standards because of the genre. I see every comic book movie in the theater too, hoping it will be good. Sometimes I'm happily surprised. Sometimes not. But I never try to convince myself that I have to like a certain movie because I'm a gamer or whatever. I leave that to the tools.

After the show I was thinking that duke nukem was dead. But I think that there is still a possibility that a great duke nukem game could be made. I find it ironic that they have gearbox who made great game - borderlands, that had no main character, and you have 3d realms who has a iconic main character and essentially no game. Send duke nukem to borderlands and let duke and clap run wild. borderlands has the guns, the enemies, the supporting cast, a great game engine, all it truly needed was a main character. I don't thin that the game should be first person, it will need to be 3rd person.

[quote name='Microshock']I never thought that the humans overpowered the Transformers movies. People need someone in the movie to relate to, and Optimus Prime is not a relatable guy.

Also, this thing with the fighting? Come on. That's just a silly excuse, it's VERY easy to tell who is fighting who and see the fight in general. Don't sit two rows from the screen.

See, you're nitpicking so hard that you've even had to fall back on the "they're using GM cars" argument. Something that you shouldn't even pay attention to.
You give a free pass to GI Joe for being so bad because "the cartoons were like that" but Transformers is somehow worse than the cartoons.

But whatever, its your opinion. Still clouded by nostalgia but your opinion nonetheless.[/QUOTE]

I'm more inclined to agree with this. However, like Ship said, neither of these films are good. At this point it really doesn't matter whether you base your opinion on how close it is to the source material or the film's quality, so people should just salvage whatever enjoyment they can out of either movie in their own way.

[quote name='Microshock']LOL I can't wait to be labeled the Transformers fanboy on the show.[/QUOTE]

You're really more of an apologist for obvious racism in Transformers 2 and should be labeled as such.

To the comment on Suda 51 games. I feel that a lot of people have the attraction to Suda 51 like they do with you guys with Child of Eden and Rez.

It's not that Suda 51 can do no wrong, it's just his style he brings to games offer something appealing to a very niche audience and I am sure if Suda 51 made a terrible game, people would notice by not buying it.

[quote name='Curufinwe']You're really more of an apologist for obvious racism in Transformers 2 and should be labeled as such.[/QUOTE]

Sorry I'm not a whiny sensitive "critic" trying to be politically correct. It was making FUN of the stereotype. I'm not even saying I liked those characters, they weren't good but they're hardly racist.

[quote name='Microshock']Sorry I'm not a whiny sensitive "critic" trying to be politically correct. It was making FUN of the stereotype. I'm not even saying I liked those characters, they weren't good but they're hardly racist.[/QUOTE]

The issue is that you have absolutely no basis for your claim that they were making fun of the stereotype. You can't point to any other examples of racial stereotypes that they are making fun of in either of the movies to back it up. You obviously just want to explain it away.

[quote name='atreyue']The issue is that you have absolutely no basis for your claim that they were making fun of the stereotype. You can't point to any other examples of racial stereotypes that they are making fun of in either of the movies to back it up. You obviously just want to explain it away.[/QUOTE]

And you just want to claim it's a racist movie. So really, I think my solution is better.

[quote name='Microshock']And you just want to claim it's a racist movie. So really, I think my solution is better.[/QUOTE]

I think the portrayal of the twins is racist and my proof is all the racial things they (and they alone) do in the movie. I don't need to make claims because the movie does it for me. Your "solution" to this is to claim that there's another subtext that you provide no evidence of, instead just saying that I and anyone who agrees with me isn't cool enough to "get it". If that's what passes for logic for you, then more power to you.

[quote name='atreyue']I think the portrayal of the twins is racist and my proof is all the racial things they (and they alone) do in the movie. I don't need to make claims because the movie does it for me. Your "solution" to this is to claim that there's another subtext that you provide no evidence of, instead just saying that I and anyone who agrees with me isn't cool enough to "get it". If that's what passes for logic for you, then more power to you.[/QUOTE]

Nothing I do will make people have fun at the movies. People just need to relax sometimes. There's thinking movies, and shit that blows up movies. Transformers is more of the latter.

I know there's dumb jokes in them. I know that the writing isn't exactly Oscar-worthy. But I have fun.

So really, I'm sorry people take this stuff so seriously. Movies are a form of entertainment. And that's my final post on this thread :D Sorry for all the posts

Oh and Shia is my second man crush, right behind Daniel Craig.

Apple has yet to really hit it out of the park for Apple TV. Personally, the only people who I know who have Apple TVs are my dyed-in-the-wool Apple fans. I think it's been met with lukewarm reactions at best with both releases. What reason is there to own an Apple TV that hasn't been done on countless other devices?

renting games from the redbox is really awesome if you're getting a really short game for a night and not have to shell out full retail for a game that you could probably beat in a day.

All sorts of rumors that Go Daddy is about to get sold to a private equity firm. Does that mean that the Go Daddy ads on the CAGcast will go bye-bye?

Wombat better get selling

[quote name='Mayday']One thing I learned from reading this weeks thread. You're all fucking crazy.[/QUOTE]

Wait until CAGpoopComic, aka CheapyD and his Shitty Friends.

While he certainly has worked hard to earn his fame and fortune (and shares it benevolently with his CAG minions), I think the time may have come for Cheapy to change his moniker. Since AppleD may infringe on Black Eyed Peas member apl.de.ap (Really? WTF??), I split my vote between HaterD, EnlightenedD, and BourgeoisieD.

On a serious note, I enjoyed the Cagcast as always and am glad to hear that Ship is on the road to recovery. Keep up the good work and the poop jokes.

cheapy, you sir are a treat,i enjoy you ignoring wombats terrible jokes it really makes the jokes funny when you ignore them. P.S iphones are the Wii's of the smartphone world, all show and a generation too late.

Just wanted to say that Transformers 2 is the worst movie ever made. Any movie that doesn’t destroy childhood memories and isn’t patently offensive to normal human beings and at least ten different minority groups is out of contention. I just had this discussion this weekend after viewing the trailer for the new Twilight movie.

The only thing as annoying as cheapy's apple dickriding (seriously, does cheapy hear himself talk? He sounds like the situation at an ab convention) is wombat's attempt to act like he knows about the iphone when he doesnt have one. How can you know there aren't good games when you dont own the device? You're just adding to your stigma of constantly being wrong and acting like your an expert about subjects you know nothing about. Just let ship and cheapy discuss it until you get an iphone (if you ever do).

Good show Shipwreck!

[quote name='yobak3r']The only thing as annoying as cheapy's apple dickriding (seriously, does cheapy hear himself talk? He sounds like the situation at an ab convention) is wombat's attempt to act like he knows about the iphone when he doesnt have one. How can you know there aren't good games when you dont own the device? You're just adding to your stigma of constantly being wrong and acting like your an expert about subjects you know nothing about. Just let ship and cheapy discuss it until you get an iphone (if you ever do).

Good show Shipwreck![/QUOTE]

I have an iPod touch. I have played enough games on it to make a decision.

I have been referring to the new Joystiq 'cast as the Chris Grant show since I first listened to it, as funny as it was to hear you lot do it too, some royalties are going to have to be paid.....

[quote name='Wombat']I have an iPod touch. I have played enough games on it to make a decision.[/QUOTE]

Isn't it your wife's ipod touch? Either way, what counts as "enough" games to say there are NO games on it worthy of being played on a tv? Im not trying to say you need to have played every single game, I'm just saying statements like that make you sound like a douche. Correct me if I'm wrong but i doubt you play with the ipod very often, let alone play every good game that comes out. Leave the people who play a lot of iphone games to judge if there are any good ones.

Btw, thanks for the reply, a lot of other podcast hosts wouldnt care enough to.

When Wombat was talking about the Transformers having lasers, I think he was thinking of The Go-Bots. Growing up I was always a Go-Bots fan over Transformers. C'mon Fricken Lasers!!! PEW-PEW! Shipwreck, did you also collect Go-Bots figures?

Also, is this the forum/thread where show feed back/CAG-bag comes from? Yes, I've been here long enough that I should probably know this already.

bread's done
Back