CAGcast #247: Crowd Control (Now with Ding-Dongle Support)

Maybe the reason for the loss in listeners is due to the fact that you've aggressively stopped mentioning Playstation Network or PSN. I've noticed lately that you mention a game like burnout crash is coming to Xbox but not that it's coming to PSN. Also if we were playing a drinking game and had to drink every time one of you said XBLA or Xbox live arcade people even the heaviest drinkers would be drunk well into the beginning of the show. So maybe the Playstation users just figured why am I still listening to these guys? It's obvious that no amount of bashing of Duke Nukem and praising of Child of Eden or Shadows of the damned has made any impact on the sales numbers. Also the lack of mention of Infamous 2 on your show didn't stop it from getting to the number 3 spot on top of the NPDs. Maybe you guys should just say you're a 360 show. You would probably gain more credibility that way instead of poorly feigning interest in other consoles.

Just saying

[quote name='omnilaw']Maybe the reason for the loss in listeners is due to the fact that you've aggressively stopped mentioning Playstation Network or PSN. I've noticed lately that you mention a game like burnout crash is coming to Xbox but not that it's coming to PSN. Also if we were playing a drinking game and had to drink every time one of you said XBLA or Xbox live arcade people even the heaviest drinkers would be drunk well into the beginning of the show. So maybe the Playstation users just figured why am I still listening to these guys? It's obvious that no amount of bashing of Duke Nukem and praising of Child of Eden or Shadows of the damned has made any impact on the sales numbers. Also the lack of mention of Infamous 2 on your show didn't stop it from getting to the number 3 spot on top of the NPDs. Maybe you guys should just say you're a 360 show. You would probably gain more credibility that way instead of poorly feigning interest in other consoles.

Just saying[/QUOTE]

Okay, PSN this week had Limbo and Dead Block. Two games we've already talked about. It also had Fastdraw Showdown - a Move title from Digital Leisure. What would you like us to care about? We mention stuff like Burnout Crash coming to XBLA because that is where we will play it. Infamous 2 came out during E3. I'd like to play it at some point, but coming out the week we're in LA looking at dozens of other games doesn't exactly move it to the front of the stack.

Who brings more visitors to the website and ultimately more $ into Cheapy's pocket. Just by listening to the podcast I think it has become abundantly clear that Cheapy prefers Shipwreck as not only a friend but also as a podcast host. Does this have to do with how much traffic each of the hosts bring to the website? I think so. Wombat does nothing but show up for the podcast and he does not contribute to the outline (all cheapy) or help in editing (all cheapy). Shipwreck is constantly writing reviews and constantly bringing traffic to the website. Now that you guys are losing listeners of the podcast is Wombat really needed anymore? I do not think so and hopefully Cheapy will realize this as well and either kick him off the cagcast or just stop the cagcast all together.

[quote name='shipwreck']Okay, PSN this week had Limbo and Dead Block. Two games we've already talked about. It also had Fastdraw Showdown - a Move title from Digital Leisure. What would you like us to care about? We mention stuff like Burnout Crash coming to XBLA because that is where we will play it. Infamous 2 came out during E3. I'd like to play it at some point, but coming out the week we're in LA looking at dozens of other games doesn't exactly move it to the front of the stack.[/QUOTE]

ok so what you're saying is that if you don't own a 360 and don't download anything off XBLA you shouldn't be listening to this show right? I don't have an issue with that at all, if that's how you're selling it. If you're pretending to cover video game news but only where it applies to where you'll be playing it then I'm cool with that as well. I'm not upset, just trying to understand if you're saying you don't plan on covering PSN stuff or if you're saying that you do but only as a side note. I think your listeners might want to know so they can decide if they should unsubscribe or not.

[quote name='ProtoEXE88']www.raptr.com

Really odd spelling, had to put in a little google effort to find it.
[/QUOTE]

I remember when I first heard them talking about raptr it took me a good amount of time to find it.

[quote name='omnilaw']ok so what you're saying is that if you don't own a 360 and don't download anything off XBLA you shouldn't be listening to this show right? I don't have an issue with that at all, if that's how you're selling it. If you're pretending to cover video game news but only where it applies to where you'll be playing it then I'm cool with that as well. I'm not upset, just trying to understand if you're saying you don't plan on covering PSN stuff or if you're saying that you do but only as a side note. I think your listeners might want to know so they can decide if they should unsubscribe or not.[/QUOTE]

What we are saying is that we make an entertaining podcast that focuses on games. We don't pretend to cover videogame news. We pretend to cover the things that interest us or what we have played. It is not some conspiracy against any one console. We just don't cover every section of what happened if it doesn't touch us personally. Our listeners know that, well all of them except you.

[quote name='Wombat']What we are saying is that we make an entertaining podcast that focuses on games. We don't pretend to cover videogame news. We pretend to cover the things that interest us or what we have played. It is not some conspiracy against any one console. We just don't cover every section of what happened if it doesn't touch us personally. Our listeners know that, well all of them except you.[/QUOTE]

Cool bro I respect that. Thanks

[quote name='chaseamazon']Who brings more visitors to the website and ultimately more $ into Cheapy's pocket. Just by listening to the podcast I think it has become abundantly clear that Cheapy prefers Shipwreck as not only a friend but also as a podcast host. Does this have to do with how much traffic each of the hosts bring to the website? I think so. Wombat does nothing but show up for the podcast and he does not contribute to the outline (all cheapy) or help in editing (all cheapy). Shipwreck is constantly writing reviews and constantly bringing traffic to the website. Now that you guys are losing listeners of the podcast is Wombat really needed anymore? I do not think so and hopefully Cheapy will realize this as well and either kick him off the cagcast or just stop the cagcast all together.[/QUOTE]

Dude nailed it:

photo%20(3).jpeg

[quote name='CheapyD']Dude nailed it:

photo%20%283%29.jpeg
[/QUOTE]

Kazoo!

Good podcast but I don't understand all the hate Xmen-Destiny got from you guys. The game doesn't look amazing but you guys made it sound like its as bad as the x-men movie licensed games and it looks much better than them.

I work in a very quiet office, and listen to the cagcast on headphones. At least once in every episode I bust out laughing. But I had to stop listening to the song at the end, it was making me laugh so hard.

For what it's worth, I don't know and have never met Wombat so I can't say I "dislike" him.

However the "technical difficulties" of last week meant that instead of 3 people trying to talk, there were effectively only 2. So the instances of people talking over each other was minimized and yet I feel all 3 people were still able to present their viewpoints == better podcast.

And let's be honest, if Wombat was able to talk during the NASCAR segment, it would be filled with a constant stream of redneck jokes.

On climate change:
The biggest problem with the whole theory is that there is no real science behind it when you don't accurately know what temperatures were 100, 200, 500 years ago etc. So there's no real way to tell if the current climate is actually aberrant when you look on a larger cycle. As someone mentioned earlier, it's already been global cooling and global warming before climate change was chosen. This just reflects the inaccuracy of scientists' models for predicting climate. And getting all of your news from Bill Maher is just kind of weak. But it's unsurprising, considering Cheapy doesn't even live in the U.S.

On Burnout Crash:
One of the first things Cheapy said about the last Need for Speed was that they basically made it the next Burnout game. So everyone knows we should have had another full burnout game by now. Instead we get what was just a mode of previous burnout games (and it was my favorite mode as well, Shipwreck) released as a standalone with not so hot graphics. The whole reason why they raped burnout to make the new need for speeds is because need for speed lost tons of fans to burnout. It's hard not to feel like they're killing burnout off.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']Good podcast but I don't understand all the hate Xmen-Destiny got from you guys. The game doesn't look amazing but you guys made it sound like its as bad as the x-men movie licensed games and it looks much better than them.[/QUOTE]

From Joystiq's recent preview:
"Your custom-built hero can play through the RPG-driven side of the game by equipping powers as you would gear."

That's enough to guarantee that the game sucks, for me. Being able to choose your powers at the beginning is one thing. Being able to switch your powers on the fly makes no sense in a universe where you are a mutant and are born with your powers.

Cheapy,

This is my first time posting about show feedback. I am a big fan of this site and the podcast definitely makes my work day go by much faster. I know you mentioned there really wasn't any space combat games for this current generation consoles. I am a big fan of flying games, especially space combat going back to X-Wing vs. T-Fighter. My question is have you ever tried Project Sylpheed: Arc of Deception for the Xbox 360?

It has gotten mixed reviews, mostly due to it's steep learning curve, but I think it might be worth a look. It has a typical anime style story, but with varying level design and weapon customization, it's a unique experience. Plus, at my local Gamestop it was selling for $4 and comes with free dlc missions and more from xbox.com.

Not sure how hard it will be to find or if there is any region locks, but might be something you might enjoy like I have numerous times going through. If you do ever pick it up, I suggest taking time getting used to the controls and going through it on easy first. There is definitely enough worth mentioning. Hope this helps.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/806/806711p1.html

This link is for the the ign review. To me, this one of those games you just got to play and decide for yourself.

No need to bring up political talk like "global warming". Why can't the show stick to what brings us back every week? You know, poop stories and all the Wombat hate?

Given that the DS outsold the 3DS last month (as Wombat noted) and that retailers are running/resorting to running gift card promos in an attempt to move units, I am curious if Shipwreck still thinks the 3DS will be a huge seller this holiday season.

Addition:

Also, considering the attention this is getting on the Deals Forum, can you guys offer your initial thoughts on Best Buy's huge gaming push (most notably Best Buy's Trade In push). In my view, any alternative to Gamestop is a good alternative.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='atreyue']From Joystiq's recent preview:
"Your custom-built hero can play through the RPG-driven side of the game by equipping powers as you would gear."

That's enough to guarantee that the game sucks, for me. Being able to choose your powers at the beginning is one thing. Being able to switch your powers on the fly makes no sense in a universe where you are a mutant and are born with your powers.[/QUOTE] It makes complete sense in a video game where the goal is to be fun and allow players to play the game in whatever way they want to.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']It makes complete sense in a video game where the goal is to be fun and allow players to play the game in whatever way they want to.[/QUOTE]

Then make the game but don't set it in the X-men universe. I don't want to play a game where Batman can fly or turn into animals and I hate vampires that sparkle (the 2nd's not necessarily relevant, but damn it, I do). That kind of stuff can actually make the license work against the game. But if it sounds cool to you, I fully support you playing it. I grew up reading X-Men & other marvel comics as a kid, so getting the mythos right is probably the most important thing for me.

bread's done
Back