CAGcast #248: The Chart Doesn't Care

Good episode guys.

Cheapy you sure that you farting hardcore didn't blow your door shut so strong? :)

I think Shipwreck's excuse is pretty lame as to why you guys don't talk about PS3. I'm still waiting on the reason why the CAGCast needed to do an official save the PS3 episode several months back, when I can look at the Xbox 360 and there really hasn't been jack shit to come out the entire year. CAGcast listeners should already know that they laugh off legitimate criticisms/suggestions for the show and should stop mentioning the "Cheapy and company don't like Sony" line. Take the show for what it is and just enjoy it.

The locked save thing on Pacman/Galaga is purely to stop used game sales. What other reason could there be? It's simply to screw the consumer.

I think the 3DS is going to make a big comeback during the holiday season. Nintendo needs some new good games on it with the new price point and it'll do fine. Right now there is nothing to play on it besides a game that came out more than 13 years ago. The price point and crappy game lineup killed it but Nintendo will rebound. They really need the 3DS to come on strong because the Wii is pretty much dead and the Wii U won't come out for another year.

The CAGcast wouldn't be the same without Wombat, and the show would suck major balls without him. Wombat get your net back together! Maybe someone is leeching off your internet?

I don't see any reason why you couldn't take the chance to talk a little bit about games like Limbo when a new audience gets the chance to try it out for the first time. You'd only need maybe 10-30 seconds at most and lately you've been spending more time talking about technical issues.

I like how Cheapy continues to make stuff up about Catherine minutes after Shipwreck tells him what it's about.

How much did Cheapy get paid for the Robot Chicken ad? That was a more blatant advertisement than the Go Daddy ads.

You can just pay $19.99 for RE4 on Xbox Live since it's on Games on Demand, Wombat. They need to expand that feature to all content on Xbox Live, though I'd accept XBLA/XBLIG support with the fall update for now.

Decent show.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']How much did Cheapy get paid for the Robot Chicken ad? That was a more blatant advertisement than the Go Daddy ads.[/QUOTE]

Umm...because that's what it was.

Like he mentioned last week, Robot Chicken is running ads on the site.

[quote name='Hoarr']Umm...because that's what it was.

Like he mentioned last week, Robot Chicken is running ads on the site.[/QUOTE]
I don't see any ads on the site, so I didn't know there was any official sponsorship.

[quote name='Kyrox']The ads where all over the place last week.[/QUOTE]
Again, I don't see ads on CAG, so that doesn't tell me that they're sponsored by Adult Swim. I just re-listened to the segment and Cheapy doesn't mention at all that they're sponsored by Adult Swim/Robot Chicken, but just that he's giving them a shout out like he does for a lot of non-sponsored companies and other podcasts.

Oh and Cheapy, people go to theaters because they want the huge screen and loud sound of the theater. Plus, if everyone stops going, all we're going to have is artsy fartsy indie movies and that would absolutely BLOW.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Again, I don't see ads on CAG, so that doesn't tell me that they're sponsored by Adult Swim. I just re-listened to the segment and Cheapy doesn't mention at all that they're sponsored by Adult Swim/Robot Chicken, but just that he's giving them a shout out like he does for a lot of non-sponsored companies and other podcasts.[/QUOTE]

You seem like a fun human being. We should hang out.

[quote name='Hoarr']You seem like a fun human being. We should hang out.[/QUOTE]

He's been posting from the beginning. His pattern lately has usually been some sort of acerbic remark and then the phrase: "Decent show."

I think there should be a dislike/hate poll.Vote for the person you most dislike/hate from the CAGcast crew.I personally don't care for Shipwreck.His asshole act toward Wombat is annoying ,his taste in games and opinions vary greatly from mine. So,I find myself tuning him out when listening to the show.

[quote name='shajek']All the haters should leave Wombat alone. While the show could go on without him (as it happened several times over the last two shows) it just wouldn't be the same. The trio of opinions and anecdotes is what makes this podcast so damn enjoyable.

Plus, who truly cares if Sony and PSN isn't mentioned each and every show? So what if the predominant platform is the Xbox? If those are the games that are being played, then they will talk about the games. We don't need to hear constant news about each and every platform and a story about each game released. Ship, Cheapy and Wombat take the time to give us good insight as to which games we should be spending our time and money on. They have limited time to play what they can, and they play what they want, unless Shipwreck has to write a review.

Keep up the great work as always. You'll be missed for the next couple of weeks.[/QUOTE]

Well then they need just get real, and admit that it is a Xbox podcast. PS3 owners and fans are left out in the dark. The fact is the PS3 had some pretty big exclusives this year that were totally ignored by the podcast. Infamous 2 was a AAA title that was completely ignored and then constantly mocked through out the podcast by Wombat. Came off arrogant and unfunny to me. Even the news that the PS3 is outselling Xbox was dismissed.

If they want to lose listeners by alienating PS3 owners, go right ahead.

[quote name='Archaic']He's been posting from the beginning. His pattern lately has usually been some sort of acerbic remark and then the phrase: "Decent show."[/QUOTE]

Sounds a bit like an ennui.

[quote name='Archaic']He's been posting from the beginning. His pattern lately has usually been some sort of acerbic remark and then the phrase: "Decent show."[/QUOTE]
:lol: I just post comments on what's discussed in the show and most shows are decent, hence why I comment on what I think of the episode as a whole like most people here do. None of it's ever whiny or angry at all.

Gentleman,

Great show, as always.

It is funny that the PS3 thing keeps coming up, but it's for a good reason. I listen to a lot of game podcasts, and most professional video game critics/journalists are like you: critical of a few things on the Xbox/XBLA, and critical of many things on PS3/PSN. That is fine, and often deserved. The issue is that when you start making fun of the PS3, or seem unduly dismissive of PS3 offerings (like Infamous 2), the listeners who only have PS3s feel alienated, even though we love it when you make fun of other things. We don't have the choice that you--and some other hardcore gamers--have of choosing to buy a AAA title on either system. We can't compare PSN to XBLA, or appreciate the finer nuances of the Xbox controller, or laugh at the summer PSN offerings compared to Summer of Arcade. We do lust after Bastion and From Dust (and maybe Gears and Halo) and hope they all come to Sonyworld eventually. But for now, we enjoy the system we have and make the most of the firmware updates. When you turn the thing on everyday, you learn to plan ahead.

恐惶謹言
家康

I've been listening to the show for about 2 or 3 years now, and I'm considering unsubscribing as well. When you guys started, I really liked the combination of CheapyD and Wombat. I've made my opinion about Shipwreck clear when he went on this PS3 rant around the end of last year (I think it was).

Just face it guys, you are all 360-only players who occasionally play a PS3 game here and there. There's nothing wrong with that, but as a PS3/Wii owner, I really get frustrated when you talk about PS3 and you really don't know what you're talking about. PS3 is going to be having tons of exclusives this year and next year, and I really think you guys are doing a disservice by even pretending to give a shit about the PS3 or the games on the PS3.

Anyway, I've been thinking of unsubscribing for a while now. There's 2 other podcasts that I like more, one that's a PlayStation podcast and the other is a healthy mix of all platforms. I really think Shipwreck ruined the show for me. The chemistry just isn't the same, and really he just doesn't add anything to the show. Cheapy and Wombat already prefer the 360, so get someone who likes the PS3. Maybe you guys will come around, or at the very least have someone who is more informed to talk about the PS3.

[quote name='jh6269']I've been listening to the show for about 2 or 3 years now, and I'm considering unsubscribing as well. When you guys started, I really liked the combination of CheapyD and Wombat. I've made my opinion about Shipwreck clear when he went on this PS3 rant around the end of last year (I think it was).

Just face it guys, you are all 360-only players who occasionally play a PS3 game here and there. There's nothing wrong with that, but as a PS3/Wii owner, I really get frustrated when you talk about PS3 and you really don't know what you're talking about. PS3 is going to be having tons of exclusives this year and next year, and I really think you guys are doing a disservice by even pretending to give a shit about the PS3 or the games on the PS3.

Anyway, I've been thinking of unsubscribing for a while now. There's 2 other podcasts that I like more, one that's a PlayStation podcast and the other is a healthy mix of all platforms. I really think Shipwreck ruined the show for me. The chemistry just isn't the same, and really he just doesn't add anything to the show. Cheapy and Wombat already prefer the 360, so get someone who likes the PS3. Maybe you guys will come around, or at the very least have someone who is more informed to talk about the PS3.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, you have 663 Trophies and I have 627 Trophies according to PlayStation's website. You should play more PlayStation games or people will start to think you hate the PlayStation. May I suggest inFamous 2?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Again, I don't see ads on CAG, so that doesn't tell me that they're sponsored by Adult Swim. I just re-listened to the segment and Cheapy doesn't mention at all that they're sponsored by Adult Swim/Robot Chicken, but just that he's giving them a shout out like he does for a lot of non-sponsored companies and other podcasts.[/QUOTE]
I mentioned it the week before. I guess I forgot.

[quote name='shipwreck']For what it's worth, you have 663 Trophies and I have 627 Trophies according to PlayStation's website. You should play more PlayStation games or people will start to think you hate the PlayStation. May I suggest inFamous 2?[/QUOTE]

What's infamous 2? I never heard you guys talk about it...

Seriously though, I got sucked into Yakuza 4 trying to get the platinum, so I do need to get cracking. Look, I don't mean to offend you, I'm sure you're a good guy personally, I just think with three mainly 360 fans, you really don't get a mix of opinions. Or just turn the show into a 360 show and be done with it--there's nothing wrong with being a fan of 360 and not caring for the PS3. I don't really care for the 360 myself, so you'd probably wouldn't care for the PSNation podcast.

Hey, guys! Love what you guys do, you are all hysterical and you also have seen me through tough times (you answered my question concerning guilt over enjoying my dead brother's ps3 last year).

Don't feel bad, Cheapy. Let this story cheer you up: On Wednesday, I was pulling my keys out of my snack bag as I was getting into the elevator at work. They slipped out of my hands and fell right into the crack of the elevator door - plummeting all the way down to the basement, leaving me stranded (everyone had left for the day). The next day my boss had to call the elevator company to stop the elevator to get my keys (it's not the kind of elevator with a trap door on the bottom). Then, the next day, the top button on my pants broke. Not normally a big deal, but, I've lost a bunch of weight and didn't wear a belt that day. I had to awkwardly hold my pants together and waddle a few steps, then turn to hide my shame from people walking by. Waddle waddle, re-zip pants, waddle waddle, turn around, rezip pants... etc.

Damn I'm really getting sick of all of these ps3 fanboys. Tons of exclusives coming? Really? I don't think so. We are at the point with this generation where there really aren't that many exclusives on either the 360 or the ps3. There's a few but not as many as you would think. As for never talking about nintendo, that's nintendo's fault. The only big thing that has come out recently is a game that came out over a decade ago. Start releasing good games and I'm sure they will talk about it.

[quote name='shipwreck']For what it's worth, you have 663 Trophies and I have 627 Trophies according to PlayStation's website. You should play more PlayStation games or people will start to think you hate the PlayStation. May I suggest inFamous 2?[/QUOTE]

Well played Shipwreck.

Also, why does everyone get so upset that the one console is viewed as better (whether that means slightly better or significantly better than another?). What kind of sunshine and lollipop world do you people live in that you think everyone or everything is treated equally?

If there is more than one console (which there always is now) there will inevitably be a favorite. If you are going to be upset because you listened to a show where the hosts preferred a console other than the one you own, then you shouldn't listen to podcasts, or visit websites or leave your home for that matter because you may hear people talking on the train about how they like the 360 better. Then you'll have to unsubscribe from that train. :lol:

There will be people who will have an opinion other than your own everywhere you go. Unfortunately, you won't be able to unsubscribe from your job, or your marriage. And you certainly won't change their opinion by threatening to unsubscribe.

***Also, I just want to mention Wombat's name because he seems to prefer reading comments that reference him. ;)

[quote name='bgame2']Well played Shipwreck.

Also, why does everyone get so upset that the one console is viewed as better (whether that means slightly better or significantly better than another?). What kind of sunshine and lollipop world do you people live in that you think everyone or everything is treated equally?

If there is more than one console (which there always is now) there will inevitably be a favorite. If you are going to be upset because you listened to a show where the hosts preferred a console other than the one you own, then you shouldn't listen to podcasts, or visit websites or leave your home for that matter because you may hear people talking on the train about how they like the 360 better. Then you'll have to unsubscribe from that train. :lol:

There will be people who will have an opinion other than your own everywhere you go. Unfortunately, you won't be able to unsubscribe from your job, or your marriage. And you certainly won't change their opinion by threatening to unsubscribe.

***Also, I just want to mention Wombat's name because he seems to prefer reading comments that reference him. ;)[/QUOTE]

Dude, he's a game reviewer, he even has more games on his list than I do, and yet I have more trophies than him. Also, every game on my list I have to pay for--I don't get free copies sent to me. So the by his own stats, he kind of lends credit to my opinion.

It's also not about one being better or worse than the other, it's about being interested enough to at least talk about the PS3 and cater to a segment of your audience.

Also, I'm not threatening to unsubscribe, but they mentioned that they had a big subscriber drop and I'm mentioning my particular reasons.

Some of us have one console or the other, and when the tastes of the hosts of the show diverge from your own tastes, why would I want to keep subscribing? The chemistry of the show is completely different. I happen to like Wombat the most, and now that Shipwreck is on, Cheapy's usually cutting Wombat down.

So call me a fanboy if it makes you feel better, but the PS3 has really stepped up their game, but it's all lost on these guys because they just aren't into it that much. The funny part is that I never owned a Sony console until 2009 when I joined CAG.

[quote name='jh6269']Dude, he's a game reviewer, he even has more games on his list than I do, and yet I have more trophies than him. Also, every game on my list I have to pay for--I don't get free copies sent to me. So the by his own stats, he kind of lends credit to my opinion.

It's also not about one being better or worse than the other, it's about being interested enough to at least talk about the PS3 and cater to a segment of your audience.

Also, I'm not threatening to unsubscribe, but they mentioned that they had a big subscriber drop and I'm mentioning my particular reasons.

Some of us have one console or the other, and when the tastes of the hosts of the show diverge from your own tastes, why would I want to keep subscribing? The chemistry of the show is completely different. I happen to like Wombat the most, and now that Shipwreck is on, Cheapy's usually cutting Wombat down.

So call me a fanboy if it makes you feel better, but the PS3 has really stepped up their game, but it's all lost on these guys because they just aren't into it that much. The funny part is that I never owned a Sony console until 2009 when I joined CAG.[/QUOTE]

He is a game reviewer, but let's not lose sight of the fact that he has a real job. He reviews games and gets them for free, but by the same token someone who reviews games has to move through them more quickly than us and won't have the same opportunities to trophy/achievement grind. That is more true of someone who has a real job and is reviewing games.

Having said that, I do appreciate some of your other statements regardless of whether or not I agree with them. And for what it's worth, you do not strike me as a fan boy. You seem upset by the fact that they don't really care much for the PS3, but not insistent that the system is better for some fanboyish reason. Moreover, my comments were not directly solely at you rather I was expressing my own disapproval of the ps3 owners who are (in my opinion) overly bothered by Shipwreck, Wombat and Cheapy's opinion.

***EDIT*** What do you guys think will happen to Nintendo as a hardware company if the WiiU doesn't sell?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hahaha! Nice comeback!

I own all 3 consoles, and I don't see how anyone that has both a PS3 and a 360 could fail to see the clear cut difference in the quality of experience you get using one vs. the other (I don't mean the games). The XBOX, quite frankly, shits on the PS3. Why can't we just call a spade a spade, accept it, and move on!

[quote name='jh6269']So the by his own stats, he kind of lends credit to my opinion.[/QUOTE]
The only person who could possibly believe that is you.

I appreciate that many people have a bias towards one console or the other. As most games are on both consoles.. opps 3 consoles (sometimes). Raving about the next Call of duty for example on the Xbox is also covering the next call of duty on PS3 so it's covered. As for exclusives I have no recollection of any game being ignored therefore they are being covered on that platform.
Personally I'm honestly excited about the upcoming Uncharted 3 and Gear of war 3 this year.
Go Year of the Trilogy!!!!
I'd also like to add I like Shipwreck, Wombats and Cheapy on the podcast as many differing sounds help make a fully podcast, much like Motown's wall of sound approach to music.
Keep up the good work and don't lose site of the fact your good.
Please don't go the way of many of my other popular podcasts lately and ever think about splitting/changing, as there seems to be a trend this year (Digital cowboys, gamerdork, joystiq), as the 2 week break on Itunes is making me nervous.

[quote name='Zaku77']Hahaha! Nice comeback!

I own all 3 consoles, and I don't see how anyone that has both a PS3 and a 360 could fail to see the clear cut difference in the quality of experience you get using one vs. the other (I don't mean the games). The XBOX, quite frankly, shits on the PS3. Why can't we just call a spade a spade, accept it, and move on![/QUOTE]

Nice warm flaming.. in Europe not so obvious. Here PS3 is more popular with a very close Xbox in terms of sales and love. Outside of the states many of the cool Xbox features are missing netflix, etc.
PS3 has Iplayer,ITV player, 4OD and Vidzone.. Xbox has a partial Sky player selection...
Microsoft forgets the world market and that is their weakness, look at the Zune never released on non-US soil

Thanks for the pop cheapy, you were hilarious about it, wombat sucks and should die but there a lot of people living who do not deserve to live, what can you do.

Please comment on this table next show,

Top 25 Consumer Magazines
by Total Paid & Verified Circulation

Preliminary Figures as filed with the Audit Bureau of Circulations
Subject to Audit
PublicationTotal Paid & Verified
6 months ending 6/30/11
AARP THE MAGAZINE 22,395,670
AARP BULLETIN 22,236,761
BETTER HOMES AND GARDENS 7,648,900
GAME INFORMER MAGAZINE 5,954,884
READER’S DIGEST 5,653,440
NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC 4,445,603
GOOD HOUSEKEEPING 4,336,711

Last edited by a moderator:

You see, this is why I hate boat crash too. So what if he's a great writer, a ridiculously prolific game player of every platform, razor sharp wit & all round nice guy. I mean, what an asshole. Cheapy, can you kick him from the show and get somebody decent instead please.

[quote name='coiled string']Nice warm flaming.. in Europe not so obvious. Here PS3 is more popular with a very close Xbox in terms of sales and love. Outside of the states many of the cool Xbox features are missing netflix, etc.
PS3 has Iplayer,ITV player, 4OD and Vidzone.. Xbox has a partial Sky player selection...
Microsoft forgets the world market and that is their weakness, look at the Zune never released on non-US soil[/QUOTE]
In UK 360 is more popular which is the biggest part of Europe.

bread's done
Back