CAGcast #249: Vanilla Pudding and The Nerds

Smartphones are going to have an effect on portable gaming. Psp offered console games but the lack of a secon analog stick made those " console" ports gimped versions of their former selves. I think the vita may do better than expected because it offers console quality games unhampered by the lack on an analog stick. Smartphone games are great, but I think Thera a market for some full big budget portable games.

[quote name='Gimgak']WTF is the ESGamer Station shit?[/QUOTE]

Just some lamer trying to promote his own podcast, I'm sure.

[quote name='thorbahn3']For some reason Cheapy's impersonation of his son sounds a lot like Short Round from Temple of Doom.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I used to download the CAGcast directly to my iPhone from the iTunes store. Something must be up with the server. I can't access it.

Edit - Nevermind. It works now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Loved the comments on Dead Rising - "they just need to suck out that last little bit of Japanese". Such a great idea/game hampered by horrible design choices. The great thing about the game is the variety of implements of destruction, so what do they do? Severely limit the number of items you can carry. And With DR2, they make it worse with combining. Now you can waste inventory slots on things that aren't even useful until you find something else. /sigh

[quote name='shipwreck']I wasn't meaning it in a negative context. I just know a lot of people that have bought replacement DSes. I know I've personally bought 6 various forms of the DS not including the 3DS I own. A number of the DSes being sold now are to repeat customers and that's all good and well. I wasn't pushing aside the DS. It's been incredibly successful. I just don't think the 3DS will be as successful because the market for such devices has shrunk due to smartphones.[/QUOTE]

Hey thanks for answering my question on the CAGcast and it was nice to have some handheld discussion that wasn't all doom and gloom for nintendo and anything that isn't made by apple.

They had their boom period with the DS and 3DS won't do as well because of competing devices but smartphones won't ever truly replace that market or satisfy its demands.

If anything the weeding out of the most casual handheld game buyers will be a good thing for the quality of releases on 3ds/vita. Petz/babiez/hannah montana shit will be much harder to justify at $30-$40, and you'll be more likely to see all that crap get dumped onto the app store.

Good show, I agree wholeheartedly with Shipwreak's comments about the PS Vita. Sony spent the last few years making the psp smaller and now they made the Vita bigger than the original PSP? What sense does that make? And besides Uncharted, the game lineup mostly consist of games that you can already play on a psp. Sony is already making the same mistakes with the Vita that they did with the PSP =/ Sony already fooled me with the PSP so no way would I spend $250 on a Vita and then $40+ for each game.

[quote name='bickle']Loved the comments on Dead Rising - "they just need to suck out that last little bit of Japanese". Such a great idea/game hampered by horrible design choices. The great thing about the game is the variety of implements of destruction, so what do they do? Severely limit the number of items you can carry. And With DR2, they make it worse with combining. Now you can waste inventory slots on things that aren't even useful until you find something else. /sigh[/QUOTE]Without a limit on how many items you can hold, the game would fall apart. Since all items are readily available you would just stock up on all the best weapons and food and never die. The limit on inventory space is necessary and adds a strategic element to the game. Also the combo weapons add to this strategy since they're a risk reward sort of thing. Combo weapons offer more benefits than a normal weapon but require you to use up 2 spaces of inventory before they can be made. I don't know about you but that sounds like good game design to me.

I really don't understand why people have such a problem with the Dead Rising series. Maybe because its complex and requires that you actually learn the game to enjoy it unlike most games. The only real problem the game has is the psychopaths. Its clear the game's combat was designed against slow moving zombies so when you go up against the psychopaths who can run, shoot, etc the combat kinda falls apart.

[quote name='Sinfulfate']I really don't understand why people have such a problem with the Dead Rising series. Maybe because its complex and requires that you actually learn the game to enjoy it unlike most games.[/QUOTE]

And you are one of the few capable of understanding it's greatness? Don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back.

Drastically increasing the number of weapons beyond a meager pittance wouldn't destroy the game at all. Well, it might destroy *your* idea of fun. But that's sort of the problem - the devs have a clear idea of their idea of fun, & want us to experience that, even if it is at the expense of gameplay. The designers built a fantastic playground and just running around killing stuff is fun. But it's not how they want a player to have fun. They want to dole it out in small bursts here and there, limiting what you do & putting a timer on it. Virtually every review complains about these constraints for one simple reason - they inhibit the fun.

[quote name='bickle']And you are one of the few capable of understanding it's greatness? Don't sprain your arm patting yourself on the back. [/QUOTE] Not exactly. I just played the game long enough to understand it. If you try to play Dead Rising like a somewhat open world zombie killing game you will hate it. Your character is to weak and you have to few inventory slots to play it that way at the beginning. You have to earn that by playing through the game first to level your character up and understand the game mechanics. Once you do you can have all the fun you want just killing zombies and the game encourages this with all the zombie genocider achievements.

Drastically increasing the number of weapons beyond a meager pittance wouldn't destroy the game at all. Well, it might destroy *your* idea of fun. But that's sort of the problem - the devs have a clear idea of their idea of fun, & want us to experience that, even if it is at the expense of gameplay. The designers built a fantastic playground and just running around killing stuff is fun. But it's not how they want a player to have fun. They want to dole it out in small bursts here and there, limiting what you do & putting a timer on it. Virtually every review complains about these constraints for one simple reason - they inhibit the fun.
You clearly haven't played much Dead Rising. You can hold a max of 12 items which in itself pretty much destroys the game. The developers smartly made it random when you gain an extra inventory slot when you level so by the time you can hold 12 items you have at least already beaten the game once. Its almost an entirely different game once you have hit max level so yeah increasing the inventory anymore would destroy the game.

I understand where your coming from. When I played Dead Rising 1 I absolute hated it for all the reasons you and other people have stated. Then I played Dead Rising Case Zero and Dead Rising 2 and I absolutely loved them. Once you learn Dead Rising and play it by its rules, the game is a blast.

Did Shipwreck ever say where to post to try and win the free IOS game? If its this thread I would like to win.

Great story about soaking down your son with toilet water Cheapy. Those hi-tech toilets sound dangerous. I listen to Howard Stern and I've heard a handful of stories of people boiling their junk or unintentionally shooting a jet stream of water into their balls....and Cheapy almost drowned his son for god's sake!

[quote name='ohnoitsphil']Why can't I download episodes directly from my iphone since last thursday? Not even old episodes show up anymore.[/QUOTE]

Same problem for me, it's a general itunes/iphone issue. There are some threads over on apple's support site about it.

bread's done
Back